• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018

god damn it. They're going to see criticisms to the wild area and just remove controllable camera from the series altogether as a result. . .

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue

god damn it. They're going to see criticisms to the wild area and just remove controllable camera from the series altogether as a result. . .

As a boomer that wouldn't mind if they went back to grid-based.

Can you fucking imagine the outrage if they announced gen 9 with a static camera?

No. It's scaled down based on the level of the Pokémon in the team who didn't fight.
Oh interesting. I'll have to see the formula then, maybe the part that we're missing from that interview is that having fewer Pokemon means the one that fights gets more exp? It's the only thing that makes sense.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

this makes it sound like they almost think some people only play Pokémon. While I'm sure that's the case for a very small amount of people, I'm pretty sure most who own a Switch know what the second analog stick does.

I get being kid friendly but when pretty much every other kid friendly franchise implements it, it looks ridiculous. Fortnite is basically high level algebra compared to Pokémon in terms of inputs.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Just reading this new article:

www.pokemon.com

Interview with GAME FREAK’s Ohmori and Masuda on Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield

We discuss the creation of the new Pokémon RPG adventure with the games’ director and producer.

Why do so many of Game Freak's responses sound so incredibly weird? Like, nobody can possibly believe this. Game Freak obviously plays Pokémon. How can anyone come to this conclusion and just keep saying it over and over again? 😫

I wonder how easy it would be to restore the functionality of the partially listed item in the data. That seems like something plausible and patchable.
Probably possible depending on how the exp share effect is implemented but I'd say most items couldn't properly do anything without a lot of backend work
at the very least hackers would probably be able to disable the effect, even if putting a toggle in is a bit outside the scope

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
As a boomer that wouldn't mind if they went back to grid-based.

Can you fucking imagine the outrage if they announced gen 9 with a static camera?

Oh interesting. I'll have to see the formula then, maybe the part that we're missing from that interview is that having fewer Pokemon means the one that fights gets more exp? It's the only thing that makes sense.

as someone who's generally pretty easy to please with these games, I think gen 9 having a static camera would stress me out. A big issue with S/M I have is how little of the world you see on screen despite it being a 3D world, due to lack of the camera being controllable

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Okay, I have to ask.

The people streaming are playing on the ROM, right? Maybe the ROM is broken. It wouldn't be the first time that happens.

There's no way in hell this went through Nintendo quality control. No way. There's something wrong here.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Man what is happening? Game seems broken. Is this being emulated or these are issues on switch?

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any details on which Pokémon will only be available in Sword and Shield via Pokémon Home transfer? Would like to get 'em ready!
Bulbasaur line
Blastoise line
Mewtwo
Mew (also through pokeball plus)
Celebi
Jirachi
Cobalion, Virizion, Terrakion, Keldeo
Zekrom, Reshiram, Kyurem
Rowlet line
Litten line
Popplio line
Cosmog line(s)
Necrozma
Marshadow
Zeraora
Meltan & Melmetal

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
Man, it's so weird to see such an unpolished Pokemon game on the market. I really hope there is a Day 1 patch and please for the love of god take a year off next year.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Man what is happening? Game seems broken. Is this being emulated or these are issues on switch?
Generally emulation wouldn't cause these kinds of issues, just graphical bugs, slowdown, or hard crashes.

It's definitely worth waiting to see though, it really is bizarre to see that in a Pokemon game, XY's Lumoise City not withstanding.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen the whole context behind the clips, but since they're all Gym battles, I'm guessing there's some weird edge cases related to Dynamax/Gigantamax and their effects related to other mechanics?

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Just reading this new article:

www.pokemon.com

Interview with GAME FREAK’s Ohmori and Masuda on Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield

We discuss the creation of the new Pokémon RPG adventure with the games’ director and producer.

Why do so many of Game Freak's responses sound so incredibly weird? Like, nobody can possibly believe this. Game Freak obviously plays Pokémon. How can anyone come to this conclusion and just keep saying it over and over again? 😫

I wonder how easy it would be to restore the functionality of the partially listed item in the data. That seems like something plausible and patchable.

The best part of that answer for me is this:

We felt the same result could be achieved by players simply limiting the number of Pokémon in their party to one. That would be a more intuitive way to limit Exp. Point gains for most players.

Yeah, Ohmori, way more intuitive to throw all my other Pokémon into a box so that they don't gain experience without battling than it is to turn off sharing

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Slurpuff line lost Belly Drum and its one niche.

Also, updates on Roost/Knock Off distribution (not counting transfers from previous gens):

Pokémon with Knock Off:
Machop line (level-up), Farfetch'd Kanto (level-up), Farfetch'd Galar (level-up), Krabby (egg move), Shuckle (egg move), Zigzagoon Galar (egg move), Lombre/Ludicolo (level-up), Wingull (egg move), Ralts (egg move), Sableye (level-up), Corphish line (level-up), Skorupi line (level-up), Woobat (egg move), Dwebble (egg move), Minccino (egg move), Karrablast (egg move), Ferroseed (egg move), Vullaby line (level-up), Rowlet (egg move), Salazzle (level-up), Passimian (egg move), Grookey line (level-up), Nickit (egg move), Sizzlipede (egg move), Sirfetch'd (level-up).

Pokémon with Roost: Farfetch'd (Kantonian only, egg move), Hoothoot/Noctowl (level-up), Natu (egg move), Mantine (level-up, though it's learned at lev.1 so you need to make it remember it), Wingull/Pelipper (level-up), Pidove/Tranquill/Unfezant (level-up), Woobat (egg move), Sigilyph (egg move), Vullaby (egg move), Hawlucha (level-up), Noibat/Noivern (level-up), Rookidee (egg move), Cramorant (egg move).

source: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...ting-see-2nd-post-for-the-list.3656151/page-6

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
The best part of that answer for me is this:

Yeah, Ohmori, way more intuitive to throw all my other Pokémon into a box so that they don't gain experience without battling than it is to turn off sharing
On/Off Switch = Too alientating for players, nobody ever turned it off in our data!

Move all Pokemon but one to a PC, repeat this process for every Pokemon = convenient difficulty toggle!

Thanks Ohmori.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You know what the wildest thing would be?

If some of these glitches actually turn out to be anti-piracy stuff to prevent playing roms or playing the game early.

Somehow, I really doubt that's the case though.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I guess we'll find out tomorrow when reviews hit if the game is really as buggy as it looks. I just find it weird that the first leaker, the one who had the review copy, didn't mention any of this. I feel like he would've said something if the game was such a mess.

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly, thank god they massively cut down on the amount of Pokemon that can learn Knock Off. That move is seriously over-powered and has no drawbacks.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
HE IS USING CHEATS
1573600766605.jpg

Oct 29, 2017
I guess we'll find out tomorrow when reviews hit if the game is really as buggy as it looks. I just find it weird that the first leaker, the one who had the review copy, didn't mention any of this. I feel like he would've said something if the game was such a mess.
Yeah that seems odd to me too. Wondering if these are pirated copies that are shitting the bed.