• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Maybe it's me being pessimistic, but I can't imagine them creating a new Mythical and NOT giving them a Gigantamax form, especially considering Melmetal has one. We're getting games next year, lol.
To be fair, he said there were 435 spaces. If we include Gigantamax doesn't that go over 435? I would assume a Gigantamax doesn't take up a full space like a normal Pokémon.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'm starting to worry that Sword and Shield will be the vanilla Destiny 2 of the Pokémon series due to it changing and omitting things people really liked before. But because of Game Freak's stubborn insistence on not updating their games with new content, they'll have no chance of improving over time.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I see this thread has turned into yet another negativity dogpile from people who haven't played the game yet and are getting all their information from a leaker who's trying to speed through the game as fast as possible.

Like, you hear the words "No Victory Road" and people just start screaming and whining and cursing Game Freak's name without thinking about anything else.

People are just looking for reasons to be upset now. Imagine holding onto such anger for four months regarding POKÉMON.

Just chill and don't buy the game, lol.
It's being datamined.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
How many of us here SR'd for the perfect Hidden Power on competitive Pokémon? Just wanted a head count.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Why can't Pokemon be made by two devs like Call of Duty?
GF loves casual games so much so they could continue the Let's Go series or a completely new line but for casuals while another company makes the hardcore line.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I see this thread has turned into yet another negativity dogpile from people who haven't played the game yet and are getting all their information from a leaker who's trying to speed through the game as fast as possible.

Like, you hear the words "No Victory Road" and people just start screaming and whining and cursing Game Freak's name without thinking about anything else.

People are just looking for reasons to be upset now. Imagine holding onto such anger for four months regarding POKÉMON.

The datamine started, read the thread before posting shitty abrasive takes.

rustyphish

May 13, 2019
Pokémon always has at least one new Pokémon design shown off every year. Last generation, when they started putting out games annually, they only included one new Mythical in every game, because they'd have shown it off by the next game's release (ie. Marshadow was in the SM code, Zeraora was in the USUM code, Meltan/Melmetal in Let's Go). If there are two newbies in the code, then there's a chance that they're intended to be the 2020 and 2021 reveals, and that they don't intend to bring out a new game next year with new Pokémon in it.

Now, this isn't foolproof- it could be a Mythical and an evo like Meltan, or it could be a Gigantamax- but if there was only one, then we would be near-guaranteed a new game next year, and we're not there at the moment.

This just feels like a stretch to me I guess. The more obvious pattern to me is 10 of the last 11 years we've gotten a main series pokemon game (depending on if you count LGPE, 9/11). I can't picture them missing a year right now.

edit: typo

SlumberingGiant

alt account
Banned
Jul 2, 2019
User banned (3 days): Hostility.

Please stop whining. you are shitting up the thread with your toxicity.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I wish they'd just bring in some outside help. In a world where even Nintendo let other developers make Mario and Zelda games, it's baffling to me that we're in the biggest drought of Pokemon spinoffs I can remember.
Since Sun & Moon, we got Pokémon Rumble Rush, Pokkén Tournament DX, Detective Pikachu, Magikarp Jump, Pokémon Quest, and Pokémon Masters.
Pokémon Go has also grown to be its own pillar.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Imagine being this bothered by other people's opinions about a videogame

Deleted member 2618

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's safe to say everyone in this thread holds pokemon close to their hearts in some way. To see this game, the first real ass switch game, end up the way it is hurts. It really really hurts.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why can't Pokemon be made by two devs like Call of Duty?
GF loves casual games so much so they could continue the Let's Go series or a completely new line but for casuals while another company makes the hardcore line.
GameFreak has a stake in ownership over the IP. Nothing like that could ever happen without GameFreak supporting it and approving it.

GameFreak will never agree to having mainline games developed by someone else I think is fair to say as it is their bread and butter and how they make their money.

soyperson

May 8, 2019
appalachia
I know y'all are mad about these games as a whole but I'm still damn excited. I think the gameplay changes will make the games feel fresh, and not as formulaic as past installments. That's just my two cents, though. Time will tell.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
The move cut isn't honestly as bad as people are making it out to be. Three important moves are being cut. The meta will grow around that no matter what.

In the end, the Smogon community will try to find a balance for 6v6 like it always does. I don't get why people expected GF would suddenly be balancing Smogon singles.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So the marketing cycle showed so little because there turned out to be so little in the actual game?

Half the Pokemon
Tons of moves cut
Low number of new Pokemon
Single player seems to be pretty short
No post game

HD development claims another victim

It's rather depressing that I ended up being right.

Cyberninja776

Oct 28, 2017

Did you ever consider how we got to this point? If people aren't even willing to give GF the benefit of the doubt anymore, then things clearly went wrong.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I know y'all are mad about these games as a whole but I'm still damn excited. I think the gameplay changes will make the games feel fresh, and not as formulaic as past installments. That's just my two cents, though. Time will tell.

From what I've seen in the stream, apart from the Wild Area, the game is literally XY 2.0.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this point I am just treating this game as a hard reboot for the franchise and a brand new start.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
And that's fine. As long as you get why people are angry and don't dismiss criticism you can have as much fun as you want

Deleted member 8674

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm starting to worry that Sword and Shield will be the vanilla Destiny 2 of the Pokémon series due to it changing and omitting things people really liked before. But because of Game Freak's stubborn insistence on not updating their games with new content, they'll have no chance of improving over time.

Aren't they already working on the next game?

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
What gameplay changes?

All they added were giant Pokemon and raid battles. Pokemon have had battle gimmicks and capture gimmicks before. Almost every game for that matter.

The Wild Area is pretty cool, I guess, but it's not something I think is really worth the huge sacrifices they've had to make

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I'm still waiting for the never seen before animations and brand new made from scratch models that justify all this

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This just feels like a stretch to me I guess. The more obvious pattern to me is 10 of the last 11 years we've gotten a main series pokemon game (depending on if you count LGPE, 9/11). I can't picture them missing a year right now.
We're only just out of a cycle of every generation missing a year by one, though, and Let's Go plainly threw things up for a year.

Over the past few generations...

Gen 4
2006 (Diamond and Pearl)
2007 (Nothing)
2008 (Platinum)
2009 (Heart Gold and Soul Silver)

Gen 5
2010 (Black and White)
2011 (Nothing)
2012 (Black and White 2)

Gen 6
2013 (X and Y)
2014 (Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire)
2015 (Nothing)

Gen 7
2016 (Sun and Moon)
2017 (Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon)
2018 (Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee)

Up until the last generation there was a clear cycle of them taking a year off every generation, and I really hope that's true for this generation too.

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
I still think that this is looking like a fun Pokémon game that I'm going to enjoy.

Sad how this itself seems like a controversial statement to make now.

Kind of hard to read through the thread and find anything through all the whining in here!

Thanks for your toxic hot take as you drive-by post in the thread then.

Good on you for liking a game that has had many things cut from it.