• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
i know zilch about pokemon competitive but banning the top 10 most used just dont make people use the 11-20 most used pokemon instead

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Is Indeedee really that good? I used one in the main game and while serviceable I thought it was outclassed by a lot of other psychic types.

OP
OP
Busaiku

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Indeedee amazing cause of Psychic Terrain, Follow Me Support, and Expanding Force.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Is Indeedee really that good? I used one in the main game and while serviceable I thought it was outclassed by a lot of other psychic types.
Hidden Ability is Psychic Surge which activates Psychic Terrain when it's sent out so it's often used as support for others

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited about this. I was getting sick of Rillaboom's shit lol. Gotta think of a new team for the new season, I'm thinking of a rain-based one

ILL MISS YOU TORKOAL

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
What's so strong about regular venusaur. This isn't mega venusaur we're talking about(I love venusaur, especially mega version)

I haven't played Pokemon since x and y so I have no idea, other than see he/she destroys fairy types

OP
OP
Busaiku

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
What's so strong about regular venusaur. This isn't mega venusaur we're talking about(I love venusaur, especially mega version)

I haven't played Pokemon since x and y so I have no idea, other than see he/she destroys fairy types
Vine Lash is super good.
In Sun, it's the fastest.
And it can Sleep.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

It's hidden ability (Which you can't get in-game unless you go Raid Hunting) is Psychic Surge (Sets up Psychic Terrain) which is one of the strongest abilities in the game. Female always saw use as support due to having Follow Me and Helping Hand alongside decent bulk made it a fairly decent option. But then the DLC added Expanding Force (A move that gets significantly stronger when in Psychic Terrain) that made Indeedee Male one of the better sweepers in the meta, and even support base Indeedee Females now have a move they can hit hard with...

Premier Sun Sweeper in the game, with the ability to set the opponent to sleep as well, and the DLC gave it a GMAX form which gives it GMAX Vine Lash, a very powerful attacking move to sweep with.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017

Sleep is really good in Sw/Sh because it can stall out Dynamax turns. Venusaur with Chlorophyll is one of the faster Sleep users. Plus it has a Gmax form now.

riq

Feb 21, 2019
These shakeups are a nice, non-convoluted way of changing the meta. Balance in competitive Pokemon isn't "making every pokemon viable" like some people seem to think.

But I agree with Theorymon (big fan of wobb man), 2 months isn't enough time for the meta to stabilize.
If this was Showdown and we could whip up teams in 5 mins and battles were super fast it would be one thing.
In game teams take time to make, even with all the QoL stuff.
I'd be more ok with a 3-4 month cycle.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Oh ok I knew it had something to do with chlorophyll, but I didn't know the specifics as I'm not familiar with the new Pokemon battle mechanics

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Seen some people insist this is rigged because they saw Urshifu more (Urshifu combined probably but separate no) and now it proves they have broken competitive and need to outsource it to someone who knows better

Some people just can't take this well haha

Gengahrrr

Oct 25, 2017
Incorporate this kind of stuff into future gyms or as an added challenge you can opt-out of.

Fire type gym, but all water, ground, and rock types and moves are banned from use.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
This is dumb. Make it an alternate meta for people who want something different for a month, but why force this on everyone. This would be like a fighting game restricting the characters you could use for a period of time just to "shake things up"

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Time for Rain to dominate everything because they banned all the other good weather setters.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'd prefer nerfs/bufs if I were a competitive Pokémon player. Just imagine if Nintendo banned top weapons in Splatoon 2 for 2 months "to shake things up" and then put them back like nothing happened.
Well, I am assuming those Pokémon go back in to rotation later on...
You don't really solve the problems that way. But hey, if the players and fans like it, then it's okay I guess.

Nerfs and Buffs only ever seem to happen at the beginning of the generation (See Aegislash and Mimikyu for example, and Talonflame from Gen 6 to Gen 7 with the Gale Wings nerf). It's annoyingly slow and the only changes during generation is adding more pokemon in (New game release adding new Regional Dex for example, the upcoming Tundra DLC is going to add a lot of the legendaries that will basically re-shape the whole meta entirely, probably around the Genies, the Tapus and the Ultra Beasts again, but the Galarian Remixes of the birds seem like they'll be strong as well) and banning pokemon like this.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Only in Smogon's 6v6 format. In the official formats, it's very niche in 3v3 where pivoting isn't the meta, and in doubles it's completely overshadowed by eviolite Clefairy since it has Friend Guard.

Ah, that must be it.

the primary sun and sand setters are gone. Politoad's time to shine. RAIN EVERYWHERE

Is Seismitoad any good?

Mostly for support.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Time for Rain to dominate everything because they banned all the other good weather setters.
To be fair Trick Room is also relatively unscathed. Losing Indeedee, porygon 2, and Torkoal hurt a bit, but you still have stuff like dusclops and amoongus and a bunch of other old staples of previous seasons that got edged out a bit in the current meta

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Torkoal is out but you can always use Ninetales to set up the sun.

Come on, how many times do you wanna see libero cinderace. I'm glad this happened.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Man I'm salty about the Venusaur ban. If you're gonna ban Torkoal what's even the point?

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean there are other viable (albiet worse) ways of setting sun. Ninetales is still around, and there's also the option of prankster sunny day from Klefki or Sableye
Yeah, but do you think for a moment those will come close to Torkoal? Ninetales has never been able to cut it against Politoed and the like. They basically already knocked Venusaur well out of the top 10 with just banning Torkoal.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wait Rillaboom is actually good?
It's amazing (it's the most used Pokemon in doubles for a reason, and it's second most used in singles). Grassy Surge is amazing even without grassy glide, but grassy glide on rillaboom is busted, and it has a really good movepool to back that up, especially in doubles. Like it's movepool is good enough that I can see it still having a strong niche even once Crown Tundra brings Tapu Bulu back into the game as competition for some of its roles

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wait Rillaboom is actually good?
It's arguably the best pokemon in VGC Doubles, hehe.
Grassy Surge (Sets up Grassy Terrain which gives healing to all grounded pokemon and powers up grass moves) + Grassy Glide (70 BP Attacking move that gains Priority in Grassy Terrian) give it the strongest priority move in the game and overcomes it's Speed Weakness. Couple with good bulk and strong attack, It's GMAX giving it GMAX Drum Beating so it can run a really powerful nuke move. Knock Off to get rid of Held Items and then your choice of Swords Dance to set it up as a Sweeper, U-Turn for Switching with momentum, then High Horsepower, Acrobatics or Superpower/Drain Punch for coverage and GMAX Boosts, that's why Rillaboom is really good.

what's gonna stop rain from dominating?

Primarina and Lapras are still in to slow down Kingdra. Lapras can also work in Trick Room and which should also keep Swift Swimmers under control.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's arguably the best pokemon in VGC Doubles, hehe.
Grassy Surge (Sets up Grassy Terrain which gives healing to all grounded pokemon and powers up grass moves) + Grassy Glide (70 BP Attacking move that gains Priority in Grassy Terrian) give it the strongest priority move in the game and overcomes it's Speed Weakness. Couple with good bulk and strong attack, It's GMAX giving it GMAX Drum Beating so it can run a really powerful nuke move. Knock Off to get rid of Held Items and then your choice of Swords Dance to set it up as a Sweeper, U-Turn for Switching with momentum, then High Horsepower, Acrobatics or Superpower/Drain Punch for coverage and GMAX Boosts, that's why Rillaboom is really good.

Primarina and Lapras are still in to slow down Kingdra. Lapras can also work in Trick Room and which should also keep Swift Swimmers under control.
don't forget that Rillaboom can also use fake out, which is fantastic in vgc

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually a bit upset Venu got just close enough to get banned lol. Sun would've still been good with it, though one of the best things about Torkoal was that it abused Trick Room and Venu/Torkoal core always had one of the two go first, so Ninetales isn't anywhere near as good.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Honestly, I've never even looked at the online battling options in this game (nor have I done any PVP at all in this game), but these reactive restrictions make it sound more exciting. Maybe I should check it out with my team of losers.

Layell

One Winged Slayer
Apr 16, 2018
This is trying to shape the meta with a broad brush, and just really laughable, no nuance at all.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Video from CybetronVGC (Major vgc youtuber, Official event commentator, was a top player back in the day until he switched more to commentating events rather than playing them himself) on his thoughts on the new format and what looks good in it