• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2019
I sometimes wonder if these gamefreak defenders have actually played games outside of pokemon.

Is this a joke?

It's the lowest rated new generation of Pokémon ever.

And still with a high rate, so whatever

I'm not going to say the complaint's wouldn't have shown up but the OP set the tone of this being a gotcha thread. It was doomed from the start.

Every thread is doomed when it has Pokémon SwSh in the title

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have seen people compare the battle animations to that of Colosseum's, but I personally feel like that would not be too fun in game? A regular Pokemon game has so many battles through trainers and wild encounters. If most of the animations were like Colosseum's, I feel like each battle would take far too long, and it would be kind of obnoxious (at least in my opinion).
There are ways you can improve the animations without going the Colosseum route (updating the game's idle poses and having more keyframed canned attack animations is a start).

That being said I agree in general; the whole "Stadium" type battle animations suited those games but in general I can never imagine doing wild encounters when animations are as lengthy as those are.

Pallo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've used the camp feature a grand total of one time because I had to evolve my Eevee. I'm just afraid that my Pokémon are going to start to randomly evade attacks and heal themselves, which is something that has seriously hampered my enjoyment of previous games with the interaction feature.

Does this still happen in Sw/Sh?

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Every thread is doomed when it has Pokémon SwSh in the title
I mean, when threads are started the way this one is, it's kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy, isn't it? The threads about playing the game or trading are fine, it's just threads like this one.
I've used the camp feature a grand total of one time because I had to evolve my Eevee. I'm just afraid that my Pokémon are going to start to randomly evade attacks and heal themselves, which is something that has seriously hampered my enjoyment of previous games with the interaction feature.

Yup, it sucks, because I'd like to use camp but I know I'd hate it if that stuff started happening.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Ok? Still not "bad reviews"
It reviewed well, but not amazingly. And it's the lowest rated new generation.

The games are good, but there are a ton of issues with them. Going off of the thread topic, it's disappointing that the majority of these animations are locked to a completely optional side activity that will most likely never return in a future game.

The battle animations are incredibly hit and miss, so it sucks that this stuff is sectioned off.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Apparently it does but it has yet to happen for me.

Jun 2, 2019
So not every thread then.

Dude, that's two threads out of how many? Because i lost count

I mean, when threads are started the way this one is, it's kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy, isn't it? The threads about playing the game or trading are fine, it's just threads like this one.

You know it would have ended the same regardless f the tone. Opening a positive thread about the game is a recipe for disaster

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I could have predicted some of the posts on the first page of this thread lmao

Camp is cool though and you're missing out on quality stuff by ignoring it. Has some jank but it mostly results in hilarious moments. Some stuff I'm not sure if it's scripted or glitched but when I had a Wooloo in my party it would help the other pokemon catch the ball that were maybe too slow. It wouldn't bring me the ball but would go get the ball then bring it back to the slower mons to give it to me.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

why is that a bad thing? o.o

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
That one with the two dogs was pretty adorable. Some of this battle animations are really embarrassing though. Seeing all of these out of battle animations definitely helps me understand why that might be the case at least.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
One of the bigger complaints is that many of the animations that ARE good are relegated to the Pokémon friendship minigame when they could of been used outside of them in battle for status ailments such as poison, sleep, swagger,
This, it always bug me since XY that each pokemon has a unique sleeping animation in pokemon Amie, but when during battle they don't even used them, but instead just shut their eyes close.

Jun 2, 2019
If it would've ended the same regardless of the tone, why be so confrontational in the OP in the first place?

You know, when in this thread you have posts like this one

I sometimes wonder if these gamefreak defenders have actually played games outside of pokemon.

I can't help but to think "Ok, want to be disrespectful and confrontational? Bring it on!"

So honestly after 5 pages the only answer i can come with is "Why not?"

It has been really tiring since June, some people in the positive side is going to be confrontational, it's a fact.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
It's a really cool feature, it adds a ton of personality to catching Pokemon. Dunno if the game already does it but it'd be cool if the Pokemon got different animations based on their nature.

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
This could've just been a fun camping appreciation thread. Why make it about how criticisms towards the animations are invalid?(Which I disagree with, tbh)

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I dont think people are tweeting these because they are elaborate high quality animations... they are tweeting them because they are funny / memeable? The first one is just a sheep rolling around.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
This. I'm not sure why everything has to be like "wow, haha, got you toxic fanbase!" I've played through the game and every criticism or fear I had pre-release has come true. Bad pacing, not great animations in battles, lack of difficulty, unpolished visuals in the wild area, frame drops constantly when playing online, like it's literally a slide show, etc. I still think the game is a solid 5 or 6 out of 10, but I constantly feel like my criticisms aren't valid because people are always like "SEE PEOPLE ARE ENJOYING IT, PEOPLE WERE OVERREACTING" when this is one of the most unremarkable Pokemon games I've ever played lol

I'm really not sure what the end goal is. I can't take this article seriously when I'm playing the game for myself and run across this type of performance and graphical quality all the time:

They can post all the videos of charging Bewear and waddling Sobble they want but there are obvious reasons why many people aren't "absolutely delighted" by the visuals, especially if you don't care about the camping feature.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
This is literally a thing in this thread
No. People are pointing out that the animations are reused. They're doing this because improving the animations and overall presentation was the reason given to excuse the cut content.

If these were games that had content in line with previous entries, there would be very little issues in regards to the reused animations.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Specifically because GF said they were going to put more work into them! Had they just been honest with everyone about that then no one would be here. Hell If they could have gotten some the animations from smash and reused them here I'd be estactic

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Honestly I was expecting horror level animations pre-release but have been surprised at how many cool animations there are in battles for various moves. Some are stinkers but there is a lot of good here and I'm happy with it!

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
The game is already very easy, and that would just make it easier.

As for the animations, I don't think anyone is saying they're all bad. Some, like the signature moves, can be quite good. They're just very inconsistent. And with camp, most of the animations and interactions are jank as hell, but it does make it oddly charming.

Oct 27, 2017
That being said I agree in general; the whole "Stadium" type battle animations suited those games but in general I can never imagine doing wild encounters when animations are as lengthy as those are.
They could have options for animation speed, like in Fire Emblem. The main slowness with battles isn't even animations, it's the separate prompts for every little action/confirmation. Especially if you have an ability that causes an auto effect on the opponent.

The "thing" is updating overly simplistic reused animations. Obviously not everything looks bad, but some of them stand out as being noticeably simple, especially compared to the newer ones. It's like "power creep", but for animations.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just wish there was more to do in camp.

No minigames like in XY (bring back Yarn Bounce!), the "talk to Pokemon" feature is generic and not tailored as far as I know to anything specific. Remember how HGSS had a bunch of unique dialouge based on where you were and what Pokemon was following you.

I do enjoy seeing my Dottler slowly waddle towards me though.

Pallo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Because I don't want to make an already easy game even easier. I don't want in-game opponents to randomly miss attacks because my Sylveon ate some curry.

To me it's a dead feature until post-game, which is unfortunate. I'm going to have to test it out with a random Pokémon, but if it carries over to raids etc. I'll probably won't use it at all. At least not with any of my main team members.

I do wish some of these camp animations carried over to battles.

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
The camp always looked like one of the killer features prerelease and some overworld pokemon can lead to amusing moments.

Animations can be funny, cute and technically unimpressive at the same time.

This thread was never about animations being technically impressive.

Also animations can be good AND simple.

Oct 27, 2017
Remember how HGSS had a bunch of unique dialouge based on where you were and what Pokemon was following you.
That's one of my issues that seems to be hand waved. A lot of these new features have existed in some capacity before, but was more full featured then, but no one seems to care when this is brought up because "Fun", which seems to end every argument

Status
Not open for further replies.