• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which version are you choosing?

• You have my Sword!

• A warrior carries his shield for the sake of the entire line

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
That sucks

Also, how will we 2v1 now
Dramatic pre-enactment:

"What move should we use?"

"Use water gun, then let's switch to the sheep again! I love spending time playing games together, even if it's not exactly like the last game, dad! These moments together are what I will truly cherish in the future, not the 2v1 feature from Pokemon Let's Go"

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
61950870_2550511384960479_7188014162293817344_n.jpg

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
They said that? I need to watch it again. It's hard to tell if they're aimlessly wondering around or not. If they're not that's a massive improvement.

It's on the Pokemon website. However, I don't believe its certain what are they referring to in regards to "wild Pokemon". If it is just the random ones with "!" or the overworld ones or both.
In tall grass or caves, wild Pokémon can jump out at you. Battles with wild Pokémon will occur when you run into Pokémon that you can see wandering around. Some Pokémon will pursue you once they see you, while others will run away.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
It's on the Pokemon website. However, I don't believe its certain what are they referring to in regards to "wild Pokemon". If it is just the random ones with "!" or the overworld ones or both.
The fact it mentions caves makes me believe it's talking about random encounters.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
So uh, rewatching the trailer again. Have they actually made the animations of each attack work with every Pokémon? Like Sobble was shooting water with his mouth open, Scorbunny used his ears to create fire, the seeds came from inside Eldegoss' fluff. Am I crazy or have they done it?

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So uh, rewatching the trailer again. Have they actually made the animations of each attack work with every Pokémon? Like Sobble was shooting water with his mouth open, Scorbunny used his ears to create fire, the seeds came from inside Eldegoss' fluff. Am I crazy or have they done it?
Only of new Pokémon

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My understanding is that the Wild Area does not represent the whole of Galar (looking at the map, I'd say about 50%) and there'll still be other routes, caves and what not with random encounters.

Routes also have overworld Pokémon, but you can have random encounters in tall grass and in caves.

24.jpg

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My understanding is that the Wild Area does not represent the whole of Galar (looking at the map, I'd say about 50%) and there'll still be other routes, caves and what not with random encounters.

Just to further clarifiy, regular routes and caves outside the Wild Area will have non-random, but also random encounters.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018

There are locations in the overworld that do not look to be in Wild Area that show random encounters with "!" as well as wandering pokemon

6_05_pokemon_1.jpg

Mar 30, 2019
For the people saying the wild area is just the area in the south... Look at the pictures of the wild area on the official side. I clearly can see them on the world map, the area is LARGER than you think:

psgR2uW.jpg

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I haven't been able to keep up with all the Pokémon threads so I'm not sure, but has anyone else pointed out the possibility of Dynamax Max Moves replacing Z-Moves? They seem to be extremely similar in function, with offensive Max Moves seemingly working just like the type-specific Z-Moves. Perhaps the type-specific Z-Moves will be replaced by these Max Moves, and the Pokémon-specific Z-Moves (like Incineroar's Malicious Moonsalt) will get new Max variants? In fact, if this is the case, we may have already seen Incineroar's new exclusive Max Move in Smash Bros., since its Final Smash is called "Max Malicious Moonsalt" in Ultimate, interestingly.

6_05_dynamax_10_2x.jpg

Also, I noticed that seems like Dynamaxed Pokémon aren't scaled up 1:1 with each other, and smaller ones grow to be about the same size as larger ones. I wonder if this may imply that Dynamaxing involves some sort of power scaling that brings all Pokémon to a similar level of power? Like, weaker Pokémon get boosted more than stronger Pokémon. Meaning any Pokémon could theoretically become viable through Dynamaxing (but only for those three turns), so everyone could bring their favorite Pokémon on their team, no matter how weak it may be, even in competitive play. How cool would that be?!

6_05_maxraid_2_2x.jpg
That sounds too good to be true but may explain why the grass starter got a 50 percent health boost which is quite significant for a stat boost in a mega Pokemon I think.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's odd. The character models, pokemon, and some of the smaller environment items such as stands, vases, signs, etc. all look very clean, however, the trees, ground textures, mountains, look like absolute ass.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Don't you meet Alder early on?

What does him being a minority have to do with that lol

You know what you're right, I was thinking it would be lame to have a darker guy be someone deceptive but we already had PoC in leadership positions in Pokémon that were great, so it wouldn't be like the one time there was a dark skinned champion he's evil type thing.

With Pokémon on the field and random encounters still being in, am I awful for wanting an FOE type system from Etrian Odyssey?

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Game looks awesome I can't wait but there is two things that bother me

I don't want a friendly rival and what is the point of giant Pokémon it's so stupid ugh!

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Game looks awesome I can't wait but there is two things that bother me

I don't want a friendly rival and what is the point of giant Pokémon it's so stupid ugh!

This is the reason why we have friendly rivals now
link (Gamespot)
During our recent interview with Pokemon director Junichi Masuda, we asked why it seems like the series has been shying away from the meaner rivals of earlier games.

"I think the biggest reason that rivals were more of a jerk in the early days is that we were just limited in what we could express with the pixel graphics," Masuda told GameSpot through an interpreter. "There's not much that you can do with that kind of little sprite on the screen, so we worked harder to characterize them through dialogue and give them certain personalities.

"Also, because it's just dialogue and there's not a whole lot going on on the screen, it doesn't give as harsh of an impression even if they're jerks, I think. Now we have HD graphics and the visuals are much more impressive. If you also made him a jerk, the impression would be a lot stronger on players. Another thing, just my own personal take, is that it feels that people with those kinds of personalities these days are just not as accepted by players as they were back then."

The reason regarding Dynamax is likely for the new generation "special feature" as well as they probably are trying to find a balance to get a more balanced form of mega's as well as being another "special feature".

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Because lots of people like them ?

Its like asking why game franchises keep certain iconic jingles around even when their entire soundtrack is now orchestrated.
Why remove/replace something people love ?
Well, yea I assume so... but a lot of people like the sprites as well, why should you ever change them into 3D Models.

And you can have them similar, just bring them into the new era. It just baffles me with the amount of money the Pokemon franchise creates, they cut corners like this and rarely get called out for it.

With their budget they should give an option for iconic 8bit sounds or modernized versions.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
I thought that song in the beginning of the direct video was kinda dope. I'd like to know more about the catching mechanic. Did they confirm if its motion controls or not? I didn't notice.

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
Seeing all the old Pokemon here admittedly bothers me.

I liked how Sun and Moon felt like it picked Pokemon to fit the region and expanded their lore to how they fit into Alola.

Here it kind of reminds me of XY where it seemed like they just tossed in as many Pokemon as possible.

I prefer the former method honestly where the Regional Dex is more focused and purposeful in it's design.
I agree with you whole-heartedly but I'm worried we're past the point where they're going to do this anymore, there is just too many Pokemon. People loved the Pokedex diversity in X/Y even if it did kinda ruin the immersion and made Kalos feel like a theme park.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I get that.

Honestly though as long as we have at least like 350 Pokemon I'm good.

I feel many of the Raid Pokemon = now you can get them in the overworld are gonna be sort or thrown in there, so I hope the normal Dex is well thought out.

Like who are gonna be the predatory Pokemon of Wooloo? Is there another bird Pokemon that's the Lyft to Corviknight's Uber?

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
Is it weird that I wish I could slay these Legendary Pokémon in Monster Hunter? They'd probably supply awesome gear.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I'm way behind, but I forgot to quote a comment I saw pages ago about the legendaries' names

So these games could've perfectly been called Pokémon Cyan and Pokémon Magenta?

The official website reminded me of it, because yeah, it's actually not red and blue

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
I'm still on the fence about this. Apart from the wild areas there's nothing especially appealing to me personally. Maybe if they introduce a good villain group.

I just hope they don't gate pokemon behind an online subscrition with those co-op dynamax-exclusive pokemon they mentioned. If so I'll surely pass. Getting them in local co-op battles is not really an option for me.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still on the fence about this. Apart from the wild areas there's nothing especially appealing to me personally. Maybe if they introduce a good villain group.

I just hope they don't gate pokemon behind an online subscrition with those co-op dynamax-exclusive pokemon they mentioned. If so I'll surely pass. Getting them in local co-op battles is not really an option for me.

Raids have been confirmed to be doable offline with bots

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope they mix it up some in terms of catching.

Seems we're going to possibly train EVs now with...curry? It's from that rumor thread but I don't think mentioning that here would bother folks since I don't consider a mere training method something to spoil.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
For the people saying the wild area is just the area in the south... Look at the pictures of the wild area on the official side. I clearly can see them on the world map, the area is LARGER than you think:

psgR2uW.jpg
Yeah its pretty easy to spot that anything not on the elevated lands is part of the WA. I am also willing to bet that the Wild Area also includes a sea area between the southern lake beach and the northern forest beach, the plains and wall north of the dragon city, as well as the icy mountain range.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
You beat up the cute creatures and then imprison them in a tiny spherical cage once they are too weak to fight back.

But not too weak that they faint. Catching them while unconscious isn't as funny as seeing them suffer for not knowing what's happening to them next.

I agree with you whole-heartedly but I'm worried we're past the point where they're going to do this anymore, there is just too many Pokemon. People loved the Pokedex diversity in X/Y even if it did kinda ruin the immersion and made Kalos feel like a theme park.

I wouldn't mind to have so many old Pokémon, if they appeared like after you beat the game, so they're not part of the regional dex like in Sinnoh games.

Or if they introduced lots of new Pokémon that make up the vast majority of the pokédex.