• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which version are you choosing?

• You have my Sword!

• A warrior carries his shield for the sake of the entire line

Results are only viewable after voting.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
They're talking about this. This is definitely the Camping mechanic (the new amie)

XNrJG6xp.gif
U.U that tent over there, hope it's more than just Amie and we can cook pokéfood, heal mons and stuff.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
One thing we won't find out until later: I hope breeding is easier in this game. By that I mean I hope 6IV Dittos are easy to find and can be found in game w/o trading.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
I just don't understand why they feel the need to do this every generation. We were doing fine all the way up through Gen 5. Then starting with XY they suddenly felt the need to implement gimmicky systems to try and change things up. Mega evolutions, Z-Moves, now Dynamax. Dynamax will be abandoned after this gen as well in favor of yet another gimmick.

Why they feel they have to do this I don't know. I don't know that anyone was actually clamoring for something like this. I think most people just want a ton of new and amazing Pokemon, a large immersive world, a good story, post-game activities and side stuff, etc. This is the core of what any Pokemon game should be.
Yeah, I was hoping for a tamer gimmick this time, that could spice up a bit battles and make some mons more viable. Unfortunately this dynamax seems another lame gimmick like the last ones we got in XY and SuMo. I just hope they don't let this crap infect a possible Gen IV remake.

Feb 13, 2018
New Jersey
As a Dark Souls fan, Zacian is my must-have pokemon. Corviknight looks badass too, hopefully it's as awesome as it looks. Dynamax...? It sounds like they're changing things up just for the sake changing things up.

Deleted member 41713

User requested account deletion
Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Pros:
-Graphics (game looks nice on the eyes and pleasant to look at)
-Open world areas with non-random encounters
-Gyms being a big event, like a sports game (also gyms are back~)
-New professor is dope
-XY player customization seems to be back

Cons:
-The big pokemon gimmick is silly
-Rival looks meh
-Still somewhat expressionless protagonist (from what we've seen)

Overall i'm excited to see more about this game

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen a few p
I've seen a few people complaining that we didn't get Armored Evolution and instead got this.

This is why I'm against spreading rumours with the connotations of people real.

I'm someone who enjoys reading fakes and watching PokéTuber's cover fakes but yeah it's annoying watching people complain when fakes turns out to be fakes and bash the real thing because they let fakes go to their head. Now I'm waiting for the legion of fakes that'll do damage control for the Dynamax mechanic.

Oct 26, 2017
"But overworld encounters is just not what Pokémon is about!"
"You would have to exit and reenter an area to respawn the Pokémon!"
"Seeing Pokémon in the overworld is gonna ruin the surprise of the new designs!"

Well, clearly Game Freak disagrees. =)

Hopefully these inane arguments can be put to rest now.

If that was the case, then why are there still random encounters?

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
fuck man this game is so ugly. People compare it to breath of the wild but it doesn't hold a candle to it! I wished they would have done a traditional looking game like Pokemon lets go! if they are unable to build a good looking world. It looks like a 3ds game upscaled via emulator

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Cons:
-The big pokemon gimmick is silly
-Rival looks meh
-Still somewhat expressionless protagonist (from what we've seen)
- There's still more from that gimmick, if the leaks are 100% correct
- There's two more, again, if the leaks are correct
- What? They had a lot more expression, just look at them in this trailer. The 'death stare' from SM is gone.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder the extent of the Wild Area in the region. does it go all the way up to the mountains? because I want there to be a number of biomes that can be explored with the camera and bike and whatnot. I do worry about what they mean when they said "new pokemon" each day, as I fear the 24 hour clock is making a return.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't understand why they feel the need to do this every generation. We were doing fine all the way up through Gen 5. Then starting with XY they suddenly felt the need to implement gimmicky systems to try and change things up. Mega evolutions, Z-Moves, now Dynamax. Dynamax will be abandoned after this gen as well in favor of yet another gimmick.

Why they feel they have to do this I don't know. I don't know that anyone was actually clamoring for something like this. I think most people just want a ton of new and amazing Pokemon, a large immersive world, a good story, post-game activities and side stuff, etc. This is the core of what any Pokemon game should be.

While I do like Mega Evolutions and Regional forms I would gladly give them up what you describe as a core of a good Pokémon game.
I just want a feature or a mass Thanos finger snap to happen that will improve older Pokémon. I don't like the idea of them being left behind because of the power creep each gen.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
fuck man this game is so ugly. People compare it to breath of the wild but it doesn't hold a candle to it! I wished they would have done a traditional looking game like Pokemon lets go! if they are unable to build a good looking world. It looks like a 3ds game upscaled via emulator
giphy.gif

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm super excited to get this and I haven't been this excited for a Pokemon game in years. With that out of the way, how is this a late 2019 video game? I love Gamefreak, but what the fuck is this?

DwVVrEKmH-X8HGqyKsiiHLGKxy34E0K3qNyMKPDWKusi3pUFyLQK3yviNjvPMjcMHRas7-vsi84xCgbMh6qli4WqqJR8dioEnYURk0hy4zPVd5KUtGi1aBYYDcv7xqnllQN11tHh4GlajiwN2al1kf4IOvWTO-yDltYA5cxoT98NK9UFYb7gymTWmwEbW8ML3QaXMAtPWnZX0IaT4prg3UqVhJGh3eTO2unEBbim916UAeXfl6T5zENM2k8E2oqVgKXvKrIYGIyRB298am_jZZrBvoVVGgLBchmiUY9QDQwMn8bXCEAokzyrHPPVHtXPvbfwP4pVMqvTOM1RIlUlqH1Z3YD_oNy-Y8ABqXBZW-HJjF2SLdNbmdNHQh7MZqBl-nBkCBeSCSYQPQzGlAHnNPleiB-7GBumKG-W1OpVUQ4VhSwnVOjiuckuGqkaYvoABQGJBFrDBck4jU6S7x9unypHhmsIX5XevSTOEGWZESSXV78716gN9eR58xRvrbneAGoaxb1MOUzNKAC898AVhereCz_XhJIyvR7vXD30tMzOjUt1No63qiSRGajeCwzVpOY4iukRy2ZbLXjkTdy6_0cfGgAnpRb-_qMifZMUHqv-ahGCPYB_sSLitUmmKAor0Gsdf-BIXWVEB4zeTfvyuWCFpVsSvqdZ42OKqABJvuNwjzSM8j0jLL74W7O37a3fJc-MLE_yJ7IJhk9qckLwvFHpiA=w1666-h937-no
Graphics whining post I guess...

Game Freak really needs some of Nintendo's other teams to help them.

The open world isn't even the entire game and yet it looks way worse than every other first party game, by far. I'm happy Pokemon is finally taking this step into modern game design, but I really wish Game Freak didn't get a pass on this shit just because it's Pokemon.

Like the difference between Xenoblade 2 (and Torna even moreso) and this is staggering.

Even BOTW, which left a lot to be desired visually, was miles ahead of this -- and that game was entirely open world.

There's just no real excuse for the mediocrity on display here.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Armoured stuff can still be real cause of Armoured Mewtwo no?
No.

The Armored Evolution "leak" came 1 week after the first Armored Mewtwo merchandise was listed.
It only got the names right, and the names were commonly guessed ones at that time as the consensus was a UK region
The "leak" stated that the legendary Pokémon are a horse and a snake. It's not.
Armored Mewtwo was officially stated by CoroCoro to be exclusive to the movie and all movie related content.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
"But overworld encounters is just not what Pokémon is about!"
"You would have to exit and reenter an area to respawn the Pokémon!"
"Seeing Pokémon in the overworld is gonna ruin the surprise of the new designs!"

I'm still going for a resounding meh on it. If it's anything like Let's Go is, the roaming Pokemon just serves to make environments boring. There's no risk any more (I mean, you don't have wild battles in that game in the first place, but I did like the timing-your-throw mechanic). I'll still play the game; at least we'll still have trainer battles

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The light beams on those raid nodes remind me of those beams of light you get in BotW when a star fragment lands.

06.jpg

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I'm super excited to get this and I haven't been this excited for a Pokemon game in years. With that out of the way, how is this a late 2019 video game? I love Gamefreak, but what the fuck is this?

DwVVrEKmH-X8HGqyKsiiHLGKxy34E0K3qNyMKPDWKusi3pUFyLQK3yviNjvPMjcMHRas7-vsi84xCgbMh6qli4WqqJR8dioEnYURk0hy4zPVd5KUtGi1aBYYDcv7xqnllQN11tHh4GlajiwN2al1kf4IOvWTO-yDltYA5cxoT98NK9UFYb7gymTWmwEbW8ML3QaXMAtPWnZX0IaT4prg3UqVhJGh3eTO2unEBbim916UAeXfl6T5zENM2k8E2oqVgKXvKrIYGIyRB298am_jZZrBvoVVGgLBchmiUY9QDQwMn8bXCEAokzyrHPPVHtXPvbfwP4pVMqvTOM1RIlUlqH1Z3YD_oNy-Y8ABqXBZW-HJjF2SLdNbmdNHQh7MZqBl-nBkCBeSCSYQPQzGlAHnNPleiB-7GBumKG-W1OpVUQ4VhSwnVOjiuckuGqkaYvoABQGJBFrDBck4jU6S7x9unypHhmsIX5XevSTOEGWZESSXV78716gN9eR58xRvrbneAGoaxb1MOUzNKAC898AVhereCz_XhJIyvR7vXD30tMzOjUt1No63qiSRGajeCwzVpOY4iukRy2ZbLXjkTdy6_0cfGgAnpRb-_qMifZMUHqv-ahGCPYB_sSLitUmmKAor0Gsdf-BIXWVEB4zeTfvyuWCFpVsSvqdZ42OKqABJvuNwjzSM8j0jLL74W7O37a3fJc-MLE_yJ7IJhk9qckLwvFHpiA=w1666-h937-no

You picked the worst screenshot possible from a game they said upfront it's not final footage (and we saw how much it improved compared to the last trailer). The game looks better than other Switch games already.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017

The open world isn't even the entire game and yet it looks way worse than every other first party game, by far. I'm happy Pokemon is finally taking this step into modern game design, but I really wish Game Freak didn't get a pass on this shit just because it's Pokemon.

Like the difference between Xenoblade 2 (and Torna even moreso) and this is staggering.

Even BOTW, which left a lot to be desired visually, was miles ahead of this -- and that game was entirely open world.

Considering Xenoblade 2's performance..;

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana

I kinda get it and agree to some extent, but at the same time I think the battles look great, and that will always be the main focus of a main Pokémon game. Like yeah, it would be nice to have an amazing overworld, but at the end once you finish the story, the thing you keep doing is playing battles, by yourself or online, and there may be routes, cities, etc that you will never visit again, especially the first ones with low level Pokémon. I'm not justifying mediocrity, I'm just saying that I also kinda get why they don't worry that much about that aspect. Or maybe they do and actually think it's an outstanding change compared to previous POKÉMON games, which is also true.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
I'm getting Shield, it was an easy choice just like Sun and Alpha Sapphire... I get the one opposite my wife's choice, lol. She's a much bigger Pokémon fan than I.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
There were no problems in docked mode, and after patches. Especially with Torna.

Plus Game Freak's past few Pokemon games notoriously have had performance problems. I am skeptical things will be different this time.
Well, Xenoblade 2 ran at 720p and Let's Go ran at 1080p. Pokémon on handheld with graphics like Xenoblade 2 but running at 360p is not worth it.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Can we stop with the Xeno comparisons? It runs like ass and has resolutions drops into the sub-SD range. If Pokemon has solid performans and stays between 900-1080p then I'll definitely enjoy it more than Xenoblade 2