• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which version are you choosing?

• You have my Sword!

• A warrior carries his shield for the sake of the entire line

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
pumping money in alone isn't enough to overcome their relative lack of expertise and experience in making HD games and exploring 3D design
but I think it's odd for you to look at this and not see it as a reasonable step forward, given your metric and your understanding that Game Freak is behind

I think it's a perfectly reasonable step forward, I'm very happy with what I'm seeing. I just don't understand why some people thought that their first proper Switch game would even come close to something like BOTW. They are not capable of making a game like that at this moment in time and TPC would have to spend a lot of money getting other studios to help make the game if they did want a game like that.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Looks exciting but areas looking a little flat and good god the aliasing. Effects look great though. Probably in for Sword as the Shield Legendary is ugly as shit.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Drednaw and corviknight look awesome. Did they say how many new Pokémon are gonna be in this game?

Feb 22, 2019
They're going to need to give me a good reason to even bother because Ge1-Gen7 Pokemon can simply be imported and if there's a Gen 8 Exclusive Pokemon you can only get through these types of battles I could just trade for an Egg/hatched Pokemon from someone else so outside of maybe a legendary Pokemon there's need to be more to make these encounters worthwhile.

Yea, I totally agree. If there is a cool Gen 1-7 Pokémon I want on my team that is locked behind raids, it will travel to me from a distant region.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Looks surprisingly good in almost every aspect.

Giant Pokemon is a neat addition to the battles and attacks look gorgeous.

But I did not fully understand the open world aspect. It seems open world is limited to some parts of the map?

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cwygq68_d.jpg

giphy.gif

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That'd be nice. What do you think of the new Pokemon designs?
I really like that crow! Not a fan of how the legendaries look though.
Yeah the crow and the sheep are fantastic. I really hope their evos don't ruin them too much. With cute ones they often do, but the edge bird has a chance to stay as well designed.The legendaries tho...yeah...Discount-Sif is ok, but the shield dude is not my thing at all. And when it comes to the box art I'm kind of at a loss for words lol.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
And that's a good thing. Let Pokemon be Pokemon.

Pokemon can be Pokemon without being chained to Game Boy-era game design for the rest of time. Thankfully Game Freak know this which is why this new game blends old-style routes with open areas.

The world of Pokemon can be much more than tiny, walled-in routes where the only Pokemon action occurs in patches of grass.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Dynamax is lame as fuck. I genuinely can't believe "lol big pokemon!" is the best they could come up with, and what we're getting instead of new regional forms and mega evolutions. 10/10.
According to a leak that is 100% right so far we are also getting "Gigamaxing" which is Dynamaxing for a few specific Pokemon where it changes their designs like Megas and we are getting regional evolutions, like Farfetch'd turing into Sirfetch'd

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
Sure, they're limited, but the Switch itself is limited. Some of you guys should go back to BOTW and look at the texture work in that game. They're definitly comparable.
This is Game Freak that we are talking about. They are not using full power of the Switch. Game Freak was used to developed games for much less powerful systems. Am not saying that Switch is powerhouse.

Oct 27, 2017
The Shield legendary looks kind of ridiculous, but that's the one I'd probably get. I've got to support the under dog legendary. I love corviknight!

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Yep and they detail this on the description on the main Website

The Pokemon encounter system is a massive mix of ideas in ALL Areas of the game

In tall grass or caves, wild Pokémon can jump out at you. Battles with wild Pokémon will occur when you run into Pokémon that you can see wandering around. Some Pokémon will pursue you once they see you, while others will run away.
Also, the ! mark that will appear above tall grass also seems to be an indicator of wild Pokémon hiding there!

I don't know, I still read that as grass spawns overworld Pokemon that you have to run into to battle. Wish the wording was a bit clearer.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
My reactions watching the direct just now:

Corviknight is dope, I want more designs like that

Leon looks like he is a sponsor of booty-o's

Dynamax is silly dumb, they're turning it into Power Rangers

greenwell

Jan 12, 2018
Yeah the crow and the sheep are fantastic. I really hope their evos don't ruin them too much. With cute ones they often do, but the edge bird has a chance to stay as well designed.The legendaries tho...yeah...Discount-Sif is ok, but the shield dude is not my thing at all. And when it comes to the box art I'm kind of at a loss for words lol.
99% sure Corviknight is a final-evo. It might a pre-evo though.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It looks like random encounters work like this, now (far as I can tell):

When you enter a patch of grass, there's a possibility that random Pokemon will appear

Their location within the patch of grass will be highlighted by a temporary exclaimation point icon

You can then choose to approach or avoid them (but I'm assuming they may walk around within the grass and even approach or avoid you)

Essentially they'll work a lot like overworld Pokemon mechanically, the difference being that you can't see what they are until you fight them

RampagingSoul

Oct 25, 2017
Some areas have looked good while others not so much. I'm liking the Pokemon designs. Dynamax isn't that interesting to me as a new mechanic and Raid Battles don't interest me either from what I have seen so far. That could change though. Don't know if I am Day One, but I will play the game eventually when it comes out.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, I still read that as grass spawns overworld Pokemon that you have to run into to battle. Wish the wording was a bit clearer.

Its both

So for example depending on how they set up the encounters in each area you could

1. See Wild pokemon strolling around,

2. See Exclamation point in grass

3. Be ambushed randomly

Along with other scenarios they have come up with

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Dredgnaw looks awesome.

Even if it is basically Galarian Grotle...but I like Grotle.

Also guess Corviknight is the final form of our bird.

Cromat

Mar 17, 2019
Game looks pretty great.

- All of the new revealed looked pretty great. Iron Raven and the Sheep are standouts, I also liked the snapping turtle, too bad about the typing.

- The Dynamax thing looks fun if not a bit random. Really hard to judge until we understand the mechanic itself. I think the series is trying to move to a more Final Fantasy-esque situation where it is understood that each entry will have its own twist on the battle system, but there's a tension there between the need to stay compatible with all the Pokemon that were introduced before.

- Wild Area and raid battles look like a step in the right direction, and depending on execution could really make this a standout entry.

- The legendaries are decent enough. To be honest, all of the legendaries since Lugia and Ho-oh have tended to be really over-designed and these are no different. They're definite better than Gen 4/5/7s box legendaries though.

- Everyone hates the boxart for some reason but it looks like classic Pokemon to me.

Do they typically release a bundle with a special edition console when the games release?

Oct 27, 2017
Its both

So for example depending on how they set up the encounters in each area you could

1. See Wild pokemon strolling around,

2. See Exclamation point in grass

3. Be ambushed randomly

Along with other scenarios they have come up with

Not to mention there are sneaking and whistling mechanics.
*Fingers crossed for being able to throw apples shaken off of trees, curry/poffin bait, and pester balls*

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Dynamax makes me wonder if it'll stress RPS-mechanics moreso than usual since each Type of move seems to have a single effect.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
SO who is going full on Team Bunny with me?

Skorbunny
Buneary/Lopunny
Bunnelby
Azurmarill (kind of rabbit like?)
Wiggly Tuff
uhhhh NidoKing?

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Never thought I'd see a Pokemon/ dark souls colab.

Sif looks great.

Also a lot of those textures looked like ass.