• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Any ideas for a "Regibuster"? All my Pokemon are a little too strong and end up one shoting them or I have to sit there and use uneffective moves to whittle it down (which is what I did with Regice)

Thank God its nighttime now...does the dusk ball bonus count for them since they're technically in "caves" or no?

Kohlbiri

Apr 3, 2019
It's a mixed bag. I've seen people that pass on their turn to Dynamax because someone else obviously has the ideal Pokémon. I've also seen people Dynamax just to show off, to the team's detriment.

But yeah, there's rarely any reason to use status moves in raids. Just spam your strongest damage moves and be mindful of moves that may also hit your team, like Earthquake.

All right, thanks. Will try it out!

Anuiran

Oct 27, 2017
Added spawn locations to a wiki for crown tundra pokemon (normal and overworld spawns) adding in legendary and static encounter locations next.. I am very slow at this.

Crown Tundra Pokédex | Pokémon Sword & Shield Wiki Game Guide

All the Pokémon that can be found in the Crown Tundra Pokédex - Pokémon Sword and Shield expansion.

Also playing this game intensely for the last day... I actually really really like it. It's a perfect evolution of the wild area and I love chasing around legendaries and them feeling special again. I really hope they keep this trend up.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
So is the expansion pass overall worth buying? Or would I ultimately be better off just waiting for Gen 9?
If you thought the base game was fun but just needed another push to get its footing and show off its ideas better. Then I'd say the dlc is worth.

If you really didn't like the base game, weren't a fan of raid battles, or don't wanna make competitive pokemon. Then I'd say this dlc would be a safe skip. The dlcs mostly focus on improving the wild area concept, giving better ways to build competitive pokemon teams, and providing more ways to do raid battles. Outside of that we get a handful of new pokemon and G-max forms as well as some fun new story content. If you are only interested in the pokemon and new story stuff then the dlc will last maybe 10-13 hours.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you thought the base game was fun but just needed another push to get its footing and show off its ideas better. Then I'd say the dlc is worth.

If you really didn't like the base game, weren't a fan of raid battles, or don't wanna make competitive pokemon. Then I'd say this dlc would be a safe skip. The dlcs mostly focus on improving the wild area concept, giving better ways to build competitive pokemon teams, and providing more ways to do raid battles. Outside of that we get a handful of new pokemon and G-max forms as well as some fun new story content. If you are only interested in the pokemon and new story stuff then the dlc will last maybe 10-13 hours.

Hmm, it's like, I'd like to try it for the story content but for $30 tbh I rather just buy a new game. And I say that as someone that did enjoy the base game, it's just that I'm really picky when it comes to buying DLC lol.

Though hearing about the improvements for the Wild Area and what not does make me more hopeful for Gen 9 at least.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Hmm, it's like, I'd like to try it for the story content but for $30 tbh I rather just buy a new game. And I say that as someone that did enjoy the base game, it's just that I'm really picky when it comes to buying DLC lol.

Though hearing about the improvements for the Wild Area and what not does make me more hopeful for Gen 9 at least.
I feel that and it doesn't help that the story content can all probably be completed in a day and Crown of Tundra is the only one that's worth it for the story. But hot damn I am still blown away by this season pass. Everything about it made me slightly more confident that the next gen is gonna rock

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
The whole Crown Tundra story with the Rabbit and the horses was pretty good. In my opinion this is how Gamefreak should have implemented Mythical Pokemon a long time ago. Rather than having to pay $15 to see the newest crap Pokemon movie in Japan, I would MUCH rather have a $15 DLC for the main game that had the same story with a new area and a catchable mythical at the end.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I did some Dynamax Adventures with some friends. This is a pretty fun mode. Cuts out a lot of the slog of normal Dynamax battles (by actually fixing some of the issues like faster captures and no barriers) and fighting Legendaries is exciting!

I'm still at the part where you have to find the Mayor after you do the town stuff. The wild Pokemon you can find even in tall grass is stuff I've never seen. Wild Aerodactyl. Multiple wild Bronzong and Abomasnow. Very interesting!

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
Finally finished the eighth gym and got out to the Tundra, came across an Umbreon and it was my first random shiny since SoulSilver (my third ever!) caught in a Moon Ball too, very happy.

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
The wild Pokemon you can find even in tall grass is stuff I've never seen. Wild Aerodactyl. Multiple wild Bronzong and Abomasnow. Very interesting!

This is one of the biggest positives for the entire generation. Trade-only pokemon, final stage evolutions, whatever - let them be walking around and catchable. Want to roll up and see a tyranatar or a dragonite? Sure thing buddy. Explode the rarity paradigm of this franchise.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Finally finished the eighth gym and got out to the Tundra, came across an Umbreon and it was my first random shiny since SoulSilver (my third ever!) caught in a Moon Ball too, very happy.
Damn, I'm jealous lol. Congrats!

Gotta say, I'm really loving how this dlc isn't hand holds so far. Feel like I'm on a legit Pokémon adventure
Yeah, it's a really nice breath of fresh air after all the handholding and usual lack of difficulty the last few years.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I pretty much agree with all of this. The DLC is an enjoyable adventure, although it fails to repair the base game for me. Additional towns, trainers, stories, etc, would have been appreciated. I don't think either expansion really offered enough content.

However, I feel that a primary reason for DLC this year instead of a sequel/third version was to give Game Freak an opportunity to experiment with open world design. Surely they've realized that their game design is completely outmoded by this point, and that they cannot continue to make future Pokemon games with hallway routes in a completely on rails experience. These expansions, to me, were opportunities for Game Freak to learn how to create the necessary geography and world design to adapt to future Pokemon games.

And it's easy to see how far they've come. The Wild Area in Galar is, to me, a complete joke. It's barren, boring, and empty. Unless one likes grinding raid battles all day, there's just not much to do. The world design made a dramatic improvement with the Isles of Armor, and additional improvements were made with the Crown Tundra. I fully believe at this point that these expansions serve as previews for Gen 9 in 2022. It seems like Game Freak now has a solid grasp on how to design the general geograpy of the world - they now need to learn how to adapt a full narrative, towns, gyms, etc, into this new paradigm.

None of this matters when the visual style of the environments are so dull and lifeless, Gamefreak needs better environment designers. Maybe Nintendo can get some Monolith Soft Kyoto staff members to help in that visual aspect.

Oct 26, 2017

Wow. Not quite sure if it's worth to go for specific shinies with this, given the long iteration time, but this seems like a really fun way to look for random shinies.

Any ideas for a "Regibuster"? All my Pokemon are a little too strong and end up one shoting them or I have to sit there and use uneffective moves to whittle it down (which is what I did with Regice)

Thank God its nighttime now...does the dusk ball bonus count for them since they're technically in "caves" or no?

I wittled them down using weak or not very effective moves from my main mon and they brought them to 1HP with a False Swipe Gallade, which still took a couple turns.
The Gallade also put them to sleep with Hypnosis, but I'm wondering if TWave would be easier, as Hypnosis misses a lot even with Wide Lens.

Last edited:

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
Outside of battles this 2nd helping of DLC is the most I've enjoyed SwSh and I'm grateful for it but it's a bittersweet case of too little too late.

J.Gusto

Oct 25, 2017
Binghamton, NY
I really really don't know why they didn't just have trainers pokemon levels scale to your highest pokemon's level in the dlcs. Makes nearly all the dlc battles freaking pointless

Last edited:

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017

Honestly I would just get Pokemon with Soak then just switch to the false swiper

KayMote

Nov 5, 2017
Short question if you transfer the legendaries from older games via Pokémon Home can you still catch them in the Dynamax Adventure?

Oct 26, 2017
so is there no way to determine ice horse nature? I guess I should be soft resetting for a zero speed calyrex then right? Brave nature?

I actually haven't seen anything conclusive on how SRing for the horses works exactly. It's worth a shot to try a sync, but it might only affect Calyrex.
I think the IVs for Calyrex and the horse are independent though so check the "unfused" horse to be sure.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Great to see that the AI in raid battles is still terrible lol.
Gee thanks Blaziken keep using coaching every turn to increase everyone's attack and defense even though there is not a single physical attack on the team (except for yours, which you are refusing to use) and the pokemon we are fighting doesn't use any either.

And then of course the legendary just wiped away all the stat changes so it just started buffing again. Eurghhh

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
You know why i love the Dynamax Adventures? It just reminds me of how much i loved the Battle Factory. Using random mons and trying to make them work. I love it.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019

Wow. Not quite sure if it's worth to go for specific shinies with this, given the long iteration time, but this seems like a really fun way to look for random shinies.

It really sucks for anyone who has already caught a legendary and will never be able to catch a shiny even if they fight it
I regret catching any at all now

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
Dynamax adventures are quite addictive, I've not done any of the DLC apart from them yet

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
ElFjJ2qU0AEv58U

On my 6th run of Dynamax adventures with the shiny charm! Holy crap!

Aside from Meltan I think this is the first shiny legendary I've ever gotten that wasn't from an event!

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but that one won't have the shiny charm

Transfer the 400 pokémon from your main file to the new one using Pokémon HOME. It'll take maybe half an hour using the free limitations but then you'll have a save free to do all the shiny hunting.

That's what I'm planning to do at least, so I can not bother with shiny hunting in my first playthrough.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Transfer the 400 pokémon from your main file to the new one using Pokémon HOME. It'll take maybe half an hour using the free limitations but then you'll have a save free to do all the shiny hunting.

That's what I'm planning to do at least, so I can not bother with shiny hunting in my first playthrough.

Don't you have to beat the whole game first for the shiny charm?

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I have finally started Crown Tundra. and the Wild Area in that region is really well-designed!
Dynamax Adventures are fune as well, and I agree with the idea that the Legendary Pokémon have a 100% catch rate, because it already takes long to complete an adventure and defeat the Legendary.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Well I caught no legendaries yet except the first one the game gives you but I'm screwed out of a shiny Suicune or more like almost everyone is XD

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Anyone have a complete list of Pokémon that can be sent to the game but that do NOT appear in any of the three Dexes?