• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
And before people chime in like some have on Twitter

No this isn't due to them "rebalancing". No this doesn't make the dex cull laughable as it was for balance.

This is literally just "You know the Top 10 last season? Yeah you're not using them next season"
Yeah, they just took the most used Pokemon from BS VGC and singles and removed them from the next series. It even says that in the ruleset.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
I love it.

Is this a new approach? Thus far I had only heard of the rule sets of previous generations opening up to more powerful pokemon as time went on, not the reverse.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I love it.

Is this a new approach? Thus far I had only heard of the rule sets of previous generations opening up to more powerful pokemon as time went on, not the reverse.
Not for VGC but Special Battle rulesets have frequently done this, but they're no longer a thing

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Isle of Armor more than ever shows the game needs some sort of mini-map. At the very least, a menu map that actually shows where you're at. Comon now.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Durant is faster than Urshifu at level 50 EV trained? What is life?

Why does EVERYONE feel faster than me on ranked? I've EV trained my Pokémon. It's the worst feeling when you have a Charizard EV trained in Sp and Sp attack lose to a Dracozolt that doesn't look like it should beat Charizard in speed but just does cause of reasons.

Last edited:

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Durant is faster than Urshifu at level 50 EV trained? What is life?

Why does EVERYONE feel faster than me on ranked? I've EV trained my Pokémon. It's the worst feeling when you have a Charizard EV trained in Sp and Sp attack lose to a Dracozolt that doesn't look like it should beat Charizard in speed but just does cause of reasons.
it might've had choice scarf to boost its speed

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Primarina is the one I always had trouble remembering its's as slow as it is, but usually visual cues and actual speed match up for me.

Like Dracozolt's top half would probably be 110+ speed, but the bottom half weighs it down, whereas Charizard is more streamlined overall.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Seems like a lot of people must be sending hacked Pokémon on surprise trades these days? Got a shiny Chansey and Palpitoad this way..perfect IV, holding a Master Ball, etc. Does anyone actually use these once they receive them? If I put it up on the Pokémon Home GTS could I get banned?

I guess I could use them for breeding..

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Finally thinking about trying competitive next season and I just want to make sure I understand the flow of building out a team:

1. Do Max Raids to get a high IV mon that I want
2. Breed that mon with at least a 4 IV ditto until I get one with Best IV's in desired categories, nature and ability that Im satisfied with
3. Level up that mon through fights with certain Pokemon to increase desired EV's (sounds like I don't want to use Exp Candy to level it)

Is that the just of building a battle ready team? Why is the 5 or 6 IV pokemon you get from a Max Raid battle not good for competitive battles?

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Finally thinking about trying competitive next season and I just want to make sure I understand the flow of building out a team:

2. Breed that mon with at least a 4 IV ditto until I get one with Best IV's in desired categories, nature and ability that Im satisfied with
3. Level up that mon through fights with certain Pokemon to increase desired EV's (sounds like I don't want to use Exp Candy to level it)

Is that the just of building a battle ready team? Why is the 5 or 6 IV pokemon you get from a Max Raid battle not good for competitive battles?
You don't need to train with wild Pokémon to raise EVs, that takes wayyyyy to long.
You use PokéJobs for that. You can speed up that process by giving your Pokémon an item like Power Bracer because then you can max out one EV slot in 24 hrs. That way you just need 48 hrs to max out EVs and you're set.
You can definitely use the Pokémon you get from raids, there is no disadvantage to that. But you rarely get one that has all desired IVs max and the fitting nature. If it has though then go with that, send it to PokeJobs and it's ready.

Just a reminder that in next month season the 16 most popular Pokémon are not allowed. Make sure you're not building up those as your first team since you won't be able to use them next season.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany

Adding

2a. Toss your breedects into Surprise Trade to effortlessly amass a collection of 4-6 IV specimen of popular pokemon, some with Hidden Abilities. You won't be able to control which ones you get, so it's not a replacement for targeted catching and breeding, but something to do on the side so you'll start off on a wider foundation with future team building.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
If you have the Isle of Armor and you've upgraded the dojo enough you can also buy EV vitamins from the vending machine there for pretty cheap. If you need cash you can buy Luxury Balls from one of the Watt Traders in the Wild Area and sell them for a nice profit.

BigTime_2018

Dec 31, 2018
Just finished the last fight against
Mustard.
Now I'm gonna work on filling out the rest of the Isle of Armor Pokédex.

My thoughts on The Isle of Armor DLC:

With its light campaign, The Isle of Armor's main focus is giving you a Wild Area 2.0 to catch more Pokémon. Considering filling out the Pokédex was my favorite part of the base game, I enjoy it here too, but I still would've liked the DLC to be more story-focused. I'm hoping The Crown Tundra delivers on this front.

Also:
Mustard's "serious" battle theme is pretty great:

www.youtube.com

Pokémon Sword & Shield - Mustard Final Battle Music (HQ)

This play when you are challenging Mustard at his maximum potential in Pokémon Isle of Armor. (Sword and Shield DLC)To check out their battle, just click on ...

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Just finished the last fight against
Mustard.
Now I'm gonna work on filling out the rest of the Isle of Armor Pokédex.

My thoughts on The Isle of Armor DLC:

With its light campaign, The Isle of Armor's main focus is giving you a Wild Area 2.0 to catch more Pokémon. Considering filling out the Pokédex was my favorite part of the base game, I enjoy it here too, but I still would've liked the DLC to be more story-focused. I'm hoping The Crown Tundra delivers on this front.

Also:
Mustard's "serious" battle theme is pretty great:

www.youtube.com

Pokémon Sword & Shield - Mustard Final Battle Music (HQ)

This play when you are challenging Mustard at his maximum potential in Pokémon Isle of Armor. (Sword and Shield DLC)To check out their battle, just click on ...
There is even another (and harder but I'm not 100% sure about that) fight you can unlock afterwards. But it takes quite a lot of time if you're not doing much raids.

I also enjoyed doing all the type sparring fights in the dojo afterwards.

Yeah the story was rather short but also quite charming. I think the island is designed very well, a lot better than the wild zone in the base game. Even though finding raids is much easier in the base game.
The best thing about the DLC are the QoL enhancements that made it a lot easier to get battle-ready Pokémon (EV reset, dynamax soup ...)

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I guess I already asked this, but I'm still curious about what people are doing when they get hacked Pokémon in surprise trades? Do you just delete them? How do people even hack them in this release?

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I already asked this, but I'm still curious about what people are doing when they get hacked Pokémon in surprise trades? Do you just delete them? How do people even hack them in this release?
I haven't gotten anything blatantly illegal, but if it's one of those ones with the website names I usually release it

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I haven't gotten anything blatantly illegal, but if it's one of those ones with the website names I usually release it
Yeah, I've somehow got three perfect IV/shiny from the same person now (or at least multiple accounts who've used the same website as their user name and the same Discord Pokemon name) as well as another one from a different person/site. One of the eggs was from 2000.. the other 3 have actually been in 2020 at least so maybe less hacked. I'm still confused how it even works.

I'll go ahead and do the same. I don't want to trade them on and maybe get in trouble for it or to advertise for them anyway.

Jet Jaguar

Dec 3, 2017
I'm currently playing through Pokémon X and I'm thinking to either buy Ultra Moon or Sword next.

What would be better to get next? I've heard Sword/Shield feel lackluster/incomplete so am not sure (maybe wait to see if they release a complete version of Sword with the DLC?)

Hero Prinny

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, so I just started playing Pokemon Shield a week ago and I recently got the Galarian Slowpoke through a wonder trade. I really like the Galarian Slowbro so i created a egg to have my own Slowpoke under my name but then it hit me, I can't actually evolve this guy since i don't own the expansion :| is it possible to get the item it needs via trading? (as in giving a pokemon the item to hold) or is it a key item and I'll just have to ask around for someone with the dlc to actually evolve mines for me?

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
I'm currently playing through Pokémon X and I'm thinking to either buy Ultra Moon or Sword next.

What would be better to get next? I've heard Sword/Shield feel lackluster/incomplete so am not sure (maybe wait to see if they release a complete version of Sword with the DLC?)
Play ORAS. It's a very natural extension of X&Y.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Hey, so I just started playing Pokemon Shield a week ago and I recently got the Galarian Slowpoke through a wonder trade. I really like the Galarian Slowbro so i created a egg to have my own Slowpoke under my name but then it hit me, I can't actually evolve this guy since i don't own the expansion :| is it possible to get the item it needs via trading? (as in giving a pokemon the item to hold) or is it a key item and I'll just have to ask around for someone with the dlc to actually evolve mines for me?
Yeah you'll be able to have someone attach the evolution item and trade it over

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017

If you're just playing for the single player -> credits then I would go with Ultra Moon (or even Moon, better story imo) over Sword, but if you're into the whole package then Sword is a no-brainer.

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
Thank you, I thought about it but I did play sapphire on its original release so I wanted to avoid the remake.
It'll probably disappoint you in comparison to the originals if you ever got around to playing Emerald, but I really do feel like it's the better Gen 6 game. And the post-game ties in nicely to X&Y, completing the story in a way.

Also, I really doubt we'll ever see a bundle of Sword & Shield with the DLC for a lower price than just buying them separately. But waiting for the DLC to finish coming out is probably the best bet.

If you were to try Gen 7, Sun & Moon have the better story but Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon feel more complete. If you are only playing these for the story and moving on when you finish I would really say go with the vanilla games.

Jet Jaguar

Dec 3, 2017
It'll probably disappoint you in comparison to the originals if you ever got around to playing Emerald, but I really do feel like it's the better Gen 6 game. And the post-game ties in nicely to X&Y, completing the story in a way.

Also, I really doubt we'll ever see a bundle of Sword & Shield with the DLC for a lower price than just buying them separately. But waiting for the DLC to finish coming out is probably the best bet.

If you were to try Gen 7, Sun & Moon have the better story but Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon feel more complete. If you are only playing these for the story and moving on when you finish I would really say go with the vanilla games.

Hmmm okay I'll probably spend more time with them instead of just story so I think I'll go for Ultra Moon 😁

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
"The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant. It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."
Hacked mons deserve to be loved too. I just fix their movesets if they have impossible moves and stuff and that's it hah

Oct 25, 2017
Xavi updated the thread and made this an all encompassing OT for both expansion parts, so thread has been moved out of Hangouts. Feel free to discuss the Crown Tundra expansion here.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the Calyrex stuff and that was straight up great. Gave me Pokémon anime vibes in a good way.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm almost done with the Calyrex plot and this is fun so far! I was not expecting Calyrex to be such an amusing character. I caught Suicune and Registeel along the way too.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Early impressions from Crown Tundra. Quite easily the best Pokémon content I've played in years. What a fucking step up from the base game.