• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Remember all those posts about how Sword/Shield were "obviously" going to be the best games yet?
They could be and have other stuff to offer. Just because the game is easy doesn't mean the game is bad and even then people could not even see it as that big a deal and the game hasn't other merits

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I mean, if the EXP Share is meant to keep your party equivalently leveled, that's how it's gonna turn out. And the first gym is always piss easy; even Falkner has Geodude available immediately before him. I'm not really sure this is as representative of the game's difficulty as you all are saying it is.

And yeah, it's still important that you identify which Pokemon it is. If you battle Misty with an equivalently leveled Pikachu, you're at greater risk of being beat. If you somehow trade the thing over to another game and send it back as a Raichu, the results are vastly different.
It's almost like people don't have an issue with the experience share in general, and instead would like an option to turn it off.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Morimoto is great, but I really want to see Unno back in the directors chair. Mainly cause he directed my fav Pokemon games (B2/W2).

Space Hunter

Feb 12, 2018
I mean the Pokemon animations are 99% the same but I'm honestly more bothered by character animations. They're not ALL bad, but some are just... robotic.

Oct 25, 2017
People used to meme and say "anything works in game" and now I feel more than ever that is true.

It makes zero sense though for wild pokemon to be higher leveled than the trainers you are fighting on the route

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
It's 2019 and yall really surprised Pokemon is easy? lol

it's been like this. That's what post game and online are for.

Game Freak need to appreciate that there are people who have been playing Pokemon for 20 years and they need something that requires more than muscle memory to beat. Almost every RPG on the market has difficulty settings, they need to use them. They already had them in a previous game, albeit in a stupid fashion. The series is starting to become something that could only be enjoyed by children, they need to remember that this is a video game series first and foremost, not a tie-in to the anime. If they want people to keep playing Pokemon after they grow up, they need to live up to the expectations that players have for console RPGs.

Zelda went down the same path for a while but managed to get back on track. It's no fun winning Pokemon battles if you never have to think about what you are doing.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
I was firmly in the wait and see camp when it came to criticism certain decision but well, now I've seen and I'm not a fan. Looks like I'm going to have to get into competitive this gen as the actual game itself doesn't seem to offer much.

Comp was always more fun for me than the main story. Cant wait to see you with us and battling!

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
I'm sure I'll manage to find a way to make the game fun to play, hell, I managed to make Let's Go a pretty enjoyable experience in the end, but it really shouldn't be down to the player to create challenge for themselves GameFreak.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
You'll still probably be overleveled since Exp All multiplies incoming EXP by 6x what the game seems to be balanced for and can't be turned off
Nah, exp share works the way it did in gens 6 and 7, just can't be turned off. I was often underleveled in gen 7 and in ORAS and I never turned exp share off.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I legitimately can't believe that they decided to have wild Pokemon on the route preceding this battle against Hop that are a HIGHER LEVEL than his team. What the actual fuck, Game Freak?

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Remember Emerald, Platinum, HG/SS, Black/White, and Black 2/White 2?

Remeber when Pokemon games were good?

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Pokémon games have been softballed since XY. They're very uncritical.
I feel it's less the games being softballed (outside of the fact that they barely get dinged for obvious performance issues) and more that what reviewers want out of the games and what people like us want out of the games are radically different.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
They could be and have other stuff to offer. Just because the game is easy doesn't mean the game is bad and even then people could not even see it as that big a deal and the game hasn't other merits

Look me right in the eyes after watching that stream and say these will be the best games.

They might be good or fun or enjoyable. But the best?

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Kids like a challenge, always have and always will.
Fortnite is a skill based game and far more kids play that than Pokemon.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is the first time I've legit hesitated to buy a mainline title...

Part of me thinks at the very least the multiplayer elements might be cool and maybe I'll have fun with competitive but I've always enjoyed the scenario.

Wonder if this will officially become a "kusoge" title in Japan. Games have gotten that for less

battleborn27

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
User banned (permanent): trolling, long history of similar behaviour + immediately resumed trolling after returning from long ban
animations are from 3DS era, lack of voice acting is laughable and it's just weird
But the serebii member swore they were made from scratch, and slammed us for saying that they were recycled form the 3DS era?

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, a real shame they didn't do more. I suppose I'll have to see the animations in camp. Follower Pokemon from HGSS and LGPE really need to be a series mainstay. Especially when you have wild wandering Pokemon models out there.

Looking at the past footage and this stream, looks like a mix of the walking + running cycles and Amie / Refresh animations. They're great, but not necessarily new.

But yeah, the more I look at overworld footage, the more the following Pokemon feature is sorely missed. Especially with the larger field of view.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Kids like a challenge, always have and always will.
Fortnite is a skill based game and far more kids play that than Pokemon.

Is it possible that the landscape of what young children play in Japan is radically different than that in the West? Kids today love hard, skill based games with no inhibitions. Minecraft and Fortnite speak for themselves. Is Japan different? Is there a reason Game Freak thinks children only have the attention span for Baby Mozart?

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Now I want to see if it's possible to reproduce the first Gym Leader sweep in other games with a freshly caught SE Pokemon.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
To be honest if Mandatory EXP share wasn't a thing these games would be a lot better players can augment and adjust how they want to play.

They could have a patch that provides an option and it wouldn't matter because it's clear they didn't balance around it to begin with

Jalen

Dec 18, 2017
I already pre-loaded Sword, so I'm in this no matter what...

I felt like I needed to play this game even though I've been greatly disappointed with the series lately. It was the first Pokemon generation built for a home console which is a milestone itself, as well as having an open world area which was a fantasy of mine to see in the series.

After this though? They will need to do a lot of changing to even convince me of Gen 9 or re-releases.
I was just able to cancel my pre-order about 30 minutes ago. Granted, I bought Shield with a voucher and that's what they're giving me back, but yeah, this stream honestly disappointed me.

I wouldn't have had a problem with certain issues with the game, but adding them up, it makes me not want to support the game.

In a vacuum:

No national dex
Games looking like they could be Sun/Moon sequels for $20 more
Limited Post Game
Games being too easy

aren't dealbreakers, but all together, I can't willingly spend $60 on the games, or the hours. I'd rather play the copies of Platinum, Soul Silver, Black, White 2 or US I already own to get my pokemon fix rather than spending $60 on Shield.

Probably going to use my refunded voucher on Fire Emblem.

Status
Not open for further replies.