• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I legitimately think each Gen will build the list of available Pokemon with each game. So I think the next games, presumably DP remakes, will keep every Pokemon that is in SwSh and then either add every missing Gen 1-4 Pokemon or at minimum every Pokemon that you could catch within those games. Then if we got a third version or sequels to SwSh after that they'd build on top of the available Pokemon in the DP remakes.
Whether we ever see a game that has every Pokemon ever again, who knows, but I don't think they will cut Pokemon within the same gen.
I feel like you're going to be very disappointed. At this point it's better not to have expectations on GF

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I legitimately think each Gen will build the list of available Pokemon with each game. So I think the next games, presumably DP remakes, will keep every Pokemon that is in SwSh and then either add every missing Gen 1-4 Pokemon or at minimum every Pokemon that you could catch within those games. Then if we got a third version or sequels to SwSh after that they'd build on top of the available Pokemon in the DP remakes.
Whether we ever see a game that has every Pokemon ever again, who knows, but I don't think they will cut Pokemon within the same gen.
It would be truly nonsensical if they didn't do this.

Which probably means it will happen.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Because different people want different things.
At first it orobably seemed like it would mostly be popular Pokémon that were included, so people who want those were happy and quiet. Those who want the unpopular ones were unhappy and vocal.
Now that we know the full dex has a lot of Pokémon that are not very popular, the first group is unhappy while the second is happy.
There will always be things like this that seems to contradict the previous thing, but that is just because even in groups the opinions differ.

That is true for some, but I feel like I've seen some of the same faces as prior go arounds. But I guess I can't prove that without looking too much deeper into things, so I'll leave it at that.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Yeah, I see no reason why this won't be like R/S. Added Pokemon in FR/LG, Emerald and Colosseum/XD.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
That is true for some, but I feel like I've seen some of the same faces as prior go arounds. But I guess I can't prove that without looking too much deeper into things, so I'll leave it at that.
Many of the "same faces" were also in this thread excited about every new Pokemon design we saw that got leaked and were genuinely optimistic, even some people who say they aren't buying the game because of the dex issues.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Sword and Shield don't even have every Pokemon in Let's Go, the potential D/P remakes aren't going to have even half of the Pokemon in Sword and Shield, let's be real. Every game is now a walled garden.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
They already didn't do this. Let's Go is on the Switch and this game cuts Pokémon that were available in Let's Go

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
so what do you want; the third versions to NOT build on the foundation they already created?

Aside from the revised versions of Sun and Moon there hasn't been a "third version" since Platinum over a decade ago. Honestly I would rather not have a third version or revised release at all rather than having content expansions for the base game the way most games work.

Hell I remember a lot of pushback against Ultra S-M specifically because their release model felt like a relic of a bygone era, and it echoed the way in which X/Y were not fully compatible with the content in OR/AS.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's the most insulting part, they're forcing us to keep paying on a consistent basis if we ever want to use our old Pokemon again in future gens. Like, I wouldn't be shocked if the real motivation was to sell home subs more than it was out of developmental necessity

i agree with this, and its frustrating that more people aren't discussing it when talking about the cuts.

they want to keep you paying a monthly/annual fee to keep your pokes from getting deleted. some of which people have had for 15 or more years. people will move them over to bank/home, realize they cant pull them all out to the new games, cant move them back to the old games, and now have to pay to keep them from being deleted.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
It's because of the historical context. Pokemon games have always included every single Pokemon and they've existed for over 20 years. It was always going to be poorly received when they decided to change that.
As long as they sell a service with a paid subscription to be able to keep your Pokemon and transfer them between games, it will be judged differently from franchises that don't have such a thing.
oh no I get that, and the appeal of pokemon has always been unique, it doesn't bother me, since I only try to use new pokemon unless its a nuzlocke, but I definitely get why people would be mad about it. I guess it all depends on what they reveal for Pokemon Home to determine what happens next. I was just curious on whether or not people would eventually accept that the game will be roster-based or if Gamefreak folds first. If people accept it then there will just be speculating on who gets in for each game, which can be fun in its own right, or if Gamefreak folds then they'll just put every pokemon in. I imagine if they do fold it'll move to being a once every 2 years franchise, or at the very least skipping a year once in a while. Not bashing on anyone that wants to hate, its just my opinion and curiousity.

As for my own thoughts, personally really excited about these games. I love roughly 90-95 percent of the dex, so it should lend to a lot of replay value to try out teams or for online play and raid battles. I'm really looking forward to 5 star raids in the post game in particular, since they are supposed to be legitimately challenging and I love co-op challenges like this, whether its with friends or AI. Probably gonna try to do a nuzlocke with the restriction that I can only have one or two old mons on my team, since I like to use as many new mons as possible. The leaker said he had a lot of fun with the game and that he was a huge pokemon fan, and that's all I really needed to hear to solidfy my stance of enjoying it. If you fundamentally disagree with me that's fine to, power to you, but I won't let it get me down. Probably gonna leave this thread for a bit until the next round of 4chan leaks starts coming in later tonight

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
The more I look at Inteleon the more I like it. SobbleSquad where ya at?

Also, we don't know what else the games are going to get added to them with Pokemon Home coming in February. There's bound to be some patches that add in some level of transfer functionality. Sure there are 400+ Pokemon that aren't in the game, but what's to say that you can't transfer them to the game? Sun/Moon had Greninja in it that wasn't available in the game nor in the dex but you could get him in the game. Sure national dex is gone, whatever, that doesn't mean you can't transfer over your favorites. Or has GF explicitly said that you cannot transfer old 'mons whatsoever by any means necessary?

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I understand that there are frustrated people, dexit is a shit, but I wouldn't say it's "core part"
Collecting and raising Pokemon is a core part, battling pokemon being a close 2nd. I understand that there are people who will defend gamefreak till the very last breath, but don't pretend this isn't true.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Honestly, in this era we should be getting a cheaper dlc expansion rather than being asked to pay full price for a barely altered experience in the first place

Thats true of Pokémon and it's true of other tent pole franchises. The thing is though, I agree with you.

But I also remember the time in the franchise's history that it didn't happen, people still bring it up as a major failing on Game Freak's part, so I'm not exactly sure how one would signal that kind of thing.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
I said in the other thread it would be exceptionally fucked up to give us only Charizard of the Gen I starters and still make us deal with Stealth Rock.
They balance for 3v3 singles and 4v4 doubles, as far as competitive play goes at least. So stealth rock will probably sadly still be a thing

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Collecting and raising Pokemon is a core part, battling pokemon being a close 2nd. I understand that there are people who will defend gamefreak till the very last breath, but don't pretend this isn't true.
I do not say that that is not core, I say that "being able to pass them from one generation to another" is not a core part.

Pokemon are not a core part of Pokemon games?

Shit, until now I thought they had replaced all the Pokémon with Digimon, thanks for letting me know!

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
i agree with this, and its frustrating that more people aren't discussing it when talking about the cuts.

they want to keep you paying a monthly/annual fee to keep your pokes from getting deleted. some of which people have had for 15 or more years. people will move them over to bank/home, realize they cant pull them all out to the new games, cant move them back to the old games, and now have to pay to keep them from being deleted.

Cool, lets hope they abandon the development of Home and also stop the service of Bank, then what?

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon releases are now one and done, they are not intended to be ongoing experiences. You play through them, play the tiny amount of post game, drop it and move onto the next. Just be sure to subscribe to Pokemon Home so you can keep your favorites in a gilded trophy case.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017

Also, we don't know what else the games are going to get added to them with Pokemon Home coming in February. There's bound to be some patches that add in some level of transfer functionality. Sure there are 400+ Pokemon that aren't in the game, but what's to say that you can't transfer them to the game? Sun/Moon had Greninja in it that wasn't available in the game nor in the dex but you could get him in the game. Sure national dex is gone, whatever, that doesn't mean you can't transfer over your favorites. Or has GF explicitly said that you cannot transfer old 'mons whatsoever by any means necessary?
gamefreak seemed pretty clear that this wasn't going to happen

maybe they will cave though

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Gamefreak is just brilliant. By cutting out Pokemon, among them almost all legendaries and starters which are fan favourites, they can use them as bargaining chips for future games and for their new Service Pokemon Home.

It's truly brilliant, they reduced the amount of work they have to do each game and simultaneously increased their profits due to Home and making individual Pokemon more valuable. Almost smells like Gacha inspired game design.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Aside from the revised versions of Sun and Moon there hasn't been a "third version" since Platinum over a decade ago. Honestly I would rather not have a third version or revised release at all rather than having content expansions for the base game the way most games work.

Hell I remember a lot of pushback against Ultra S-M specifically because their release model felt like a relic of a bygone era, and it echoed the way in which X/Y were not fully compatible with the content in OR/AS.

And there were just as many people who still bring up how we never got Pokémon Z like it was a major failing of the franchise.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

They've literally said they don't plan to patch them in ever

BinaryPork

Oct 31, 2017
Part of me wonders which Pokémon from gen 8 will be cut from future games. I feel like the fossils will be one and done to cut down on further complexity in future gens. I personally am not willing to think that Pokémon are safe just because they have updated models.

I also hope we get updates on where Pokémon are located soon. I want to know how quickly I'll be able to put together the team I want.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
The fanbase isn't a monolith, you're always going to hear totally opposing opinions in debates because there are tons and tons of people who play Pokemon. Stunkfish has stans, I'm sure they were worried they would never see it again and are happy it made it in. And I'm sure Garchomp fans are gonna be very pissed their fave didn't make it in. That still means some of the fanbase is happy and some is mad, it's just who is mad that changed. I'm mostly just wondering if they honestly thought leaving out a lot of the massively favorite Pokemon was going to just go by unnoticed.
Right, I'm not saying people can't be upset their favorite isn't in, I'm taking issue with the comments that are like "what were they thinking?!" and trying to push these "why did they pick this trashmon over something way more popular?" The reason for WHY is obvious. A lot of massively favorite Pokemon were left out but a lot were included too, that's how it's gonna go when you have a roster of 900 and select less than half. All of the pseudo lines are extremely popular (except maybe Kommo-o) and most got included, but so many are acting like Game Freak lost their minds for not having Garchomp. They would've said the same thing if they'd swapped out Garchomp for one of the pseudos we got.

Palidoozy

Concept Artist at Maxis Texas/EA
Verified
Sep 17, 2019
Austin, Texas
I guess its the precedent that was set for older games, but its curious for me to see how long this outrage will continue until either Gamefreak relents, or people realize that Pokemon will become a roster based game with different iterations and different metas based on those ala fighting games and most other monster collecting games.

I don't wanna pile up on you too bad, but one of my draws with pokemon over other fighting games/monster collecting games is the ability to breed them throughout generations, and the large pool you can draw from to do so. That's my endgame when I play the game -- going through chains of pokemon to get the right natures, egg moves, hidden abilities, etc. so I can get a perfect little dude I can either pass off to overjoyed friends or keep for myself. Monster Rancher is another game I adore in the same sort of genre, but the monsters there are way more fleeting and the breeding mechanics are significantly less in-depth. I've only played older Digimon games, but they were the same thing -- lacking the kind of end-game ranching I enjoy in Pokemon.

I can still breed and stuff, it's not like that feature has been taken away (I hope!) but having less of a toolkit to play with and having to remain in older generations to continue current projects (i.e. breeding a shiny greninja) kind of sucks.

... I will say though, as a positive -- I absolutely love the new designs. I think they're some of the best that's come out of recent Pokemon. I'm just more bummed out, and while I acknowledge the reasons why cuts had to be made it still just sucks nonetheless.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Wonder if Nintendo should be open about the amount of Pokémon. There is still a lot of people who think you will be able to see all of your pokemon in HD.

A lot of people in my Go community are interested in Sword and Shield and have no clue about Dexit

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017

GameFreak has specifically said that if a Pokemon is not in the Galar Pokedex it is not going to be in Sword and Shield at all. Period.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
the majority of players won't care about this and the fandom is largely gonna move on, with only the most vocal of people carrying on about it well after the game has come out

The fact that they're actually excluding popular Pokemon from the game for this rotation system really makes me think the cuts won't go unnoticed. I thought at least the big starters and some popular legends would be there due to that, but they seem to be basically treating this as a standard regional dex in spite of the very different significance it has.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
There are several pokemon I thought were GF favorites and would be shoo ins, that got cut.

but beyond those, not too surprised at the cuts.
Seems to lean more towards later gens which is find since the last one I played was gen 5.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
The fact that they're actually excluding popular Pokemon from the game for this rotation system really makes me think the cuts won't go unnoticed.
They cut all my favorite Pokemon and I'm still buying this one. It doesn't bother me that Pokemon I've been using for decades will go on a little break. They'll be back in future entries.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I see we're at the bargaining stage of "you guys are silly, there are not ONLY going to be 400 Pokemon, more will be patched in."

There was no point to the National Pokedex cut if they planned to preserve more than 50% of the Pokemon.

That was why they did it.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
I want to say that you can keep them right now in Sun / Moon. If you are so afraid of them disappearing, leave them there.
That's assuming Pokemon Bank is going to be preserved, as it's the only way to transfer from the 3DS games to Home. If Bank is discontinued, those Pokemon you left in Sun and Moon are now stuck there forever. Oops!

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Locking that other thread was not a very good decision lmao, this is a thread about the leaks and it's now going to be all about the dex.

Status
Not open for further replies.