• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
Looking at the confirmed pokemon so far in the DeX. Gen 5-7 has a heavy presence in the game. While Gen 1-4 seems to be having the most cuts. Given that Galar is based on UK it would make sense that a lot more American and European pokemon would be present over japanese based ones. I also think from a design and brand point of view it is also good. Gen 5 pokemon were kinda ignored during the 3DS era. Also the 3DS era pokemon are still fresh and the mass audience have yet to develop the same familiarity with Gens 5-7 as Pokemon Gen 1-4.

There are still 42 pokemon left to fill the 400 pokedex limit. I'm holding out hope that there are enough regional, new and legendary pokemon(post-Eternatus) to take us over 100 original pokemon, given that we are at ~90 right now. I strongly suspect that most of the remaining 42 pokemon will be Gen 1-3 pokemon.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
There are a good chance we have a few more to see, but I'd say we've probably seen 90-95% of all the new pokemon.

I'm beyond satisfied with what we've gotten so far so any new extras are just icing on the Alcreamie.

Really hope the Dex expands to 632 however for returning mons

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Looking at the confirmed pokemon so far in the DeX. Gen 5-7 has a heavy presence in the game. While Gen 1-4 seems to be having the most cuts. Given that Galar is based on UK it would make sense that a lot more American and European pokemon would be present over japanese based ones. I also think from a design and brand point of view it is also good. Gen 5 pokemon were kinda ignored during the 3DS era. Also the 3DS era pokemon are still fresh and the mass audience have yet to develop the same familiarity with Gens 5-7 as Pokemon Gen 1-4.

There are still 42 pokemon left to fill the 400 pokedex limit. I'm holding out hope that there are enough regional, new and legendary pokemon(post-Eternatus) to take us over 100 original pokemon, given that we are at ~90 right now. I strongly suspect that most of the remaining 42 pokemon will be Gen 1-3 pokemon.

Gen 1-4 are almost definitely being saved for Sinnoh remakes.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
The prioblem is, how long will keeping them on the 3DS be viable? Bank won't be around forever. At some point you're gonna have to transfer your collection into Home and just pray that everything eventually gets a game.
i get that but its worrying about something none of us have an answer to.

Pokemon isn't going to die overnight but its also not going to last forever. So eventuall yeverything is going to end. Guess we should worry about that too.

I get being upset (although by this point, you should have made peace w/ it and moved on IMO). Again I hope they walk back their choice (if only so I don't have to keep hearing about it lol). Squirtle is my favorite pokemon...probably not in this game. that sucks. I get that some team building and competitive stuff is effected by this. I don't think the reasons GF gave were fully legit. I get that perhaps more dev time is the actual solution (people do forget that Pokemon is a multi media franchise so its not as easy as "just take more time yo"). All of this I understand. I just don;t think its as serious and fatalistic as many constantly make it out to be. Its a major bummer and pretty dumb after they made a big deal about the bank......but thats about it. To each their own but goddam it was nice to have one thread not devolve into it lol.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Pokemon go barely has half the amount of stuff going into the game why do people keep comparing go to the main line games they have so many different things going under the hood i just dont get the comparison

The point is every game under the sun gets content updates and patches from mega block busters like Assassin's Creed Odyssey to much smaller projects like The Messenger. Pokemon go is arguably pokemon's second biggest ongoing gaming initiative. The fact a mobile game can get updates/patches while the main line games can't is ludicrous. The fact that switch by the end of next year will have 3 pokemon games (lets go, sw/sh, gen 4 remake) and none of those games will be able to connect and trade/battle without using the pokemon home app is asinine. Gamefreak had better connectivity between their games back on the fucking gameboy, and that included trading between generations.

Toddv360

Oct 27, 2017
The dex only being around 400 mons might actually encourage me to "catch em all" for once. Maybe. The game will have to be way better than the more recent gens for me to throw time at that. I might still go for it if it in the 600s but it will be harder to justify it.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the concept of a secret expanded (not national) dex with no starters or legendary doesn't even make sense

"congrats you beat the game! now you can catch a sewaddle"

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I guess if there's no Starters besides Galar and Charizard the new ones being all mono I guess is so they're the best representative of their Types?

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
The lack of Scyther and no new Eeveelutions are the only real disappointments from these games for me. I can deal with the others absence because I really like and want to mess around with the new Pokémon.

In the competitive aspect, it will be a breath of fresh air to not see Primal Groudon, Landorus and Incinerorar on EVERY SINGLE TEAM.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The dex only being around 400 mons might actually encourage me to "catch em all" for once. Maybe. The game will have to be way better than the more recent gens for me to throw time at that. I might still go for it if it in the 600s but it will be harder to justify it.
The dex was 300 in sumo, 400 in usum, and 153 in Lets Go. Did you catch them all then?

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
the concept of a secret expanded (not national) dex with no starters or legendary doesn't even make sense

You say that but "Now there's a bunch of new shit in the wild area!" would actually be a great reward for some people.

Not to mention it gives more variety to post game trainers and trainers in whatever battle facilities are available in Galar as you've likely seen the majority of Pokemon by the end of the game.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
I never get this line of thinking.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
We're still missing some version exclusives and up to 92 counting the Mel line, right?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Whyyyy are we back to the neverending complaining of dexit yet again

Let's talk about how great Cursola and Frosmoth and Hatterene are

Because now we are actually at a point where we can start putting names to faces of all the dead corpses gamefreak killed with their dexit snap. Right now we're antman trying to make sure our baby girl isn't on the list of dead names.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You say that but "Now there's a bunch of new shit in the wild area!" would actually be a great reward for some people.

Not to mention it gives more variety to post game trainers and trainers in whatever battle facilities are available in Galar as you've likely seen the majority of Pokemon by the end of the game.
It's a great idea but there's no reason to keep it completely secret in a special dex for that long. you couldn't even trade with your friends if they had any of the secret 200+ filler mons.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I don't care about the national dex anymore, but it's inevitable for people to complain about it now that we have a concrete final number.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017

You don't think the Dex is suddenly going to expand by 60% with huge post game areas to catch them in? Next you'll say that there's no Battle Frontier and zero dating mini games.

Syrenne

Producer of Manifold Garden
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
*cracking my knuckles* I heard someone was talking trash about Wooper in here

Thank you. Wooper is literally my favorite Pokémon and has pretty much always been. Let's please remember as we discuss that every Pokémon is someone's favorite, including the ones you might think are wastes of space on this list.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a great idea but there's no reason to keep it completely secret in a special dex for that long. you couldn't even trade with your friends if they had any of the secret 200+ filler mons.
I'm sure you could, they just wouldn't show up in your dex until the post game.

Remember how much ORAS kept hidden in dexnav until you beat the game? There is precedent for it.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Sinnoh remakes will have the rest of the Pokemon except some legendaries and maybe really obscure ones like Maractus.
My question is will they include Dynamaxing in Sinnoh. Or a wild area. Let alone will the Sinnoh remakes be complete remakes from a different character perspective entirely.

Or will it be a 1:1 remake?

Not to mention Underground 2.0

KaitoCam

Dec 29, 2018

While I'm still sad about the huge dex cut I can at least be happy in the fact that every pokemon in the game is obtainable. I'll just need to trade for the version exclusives. I already have a living dex and I make it a point to complete every dex.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
My question is will they include Dynamaxing in Sinnoh. Or a wild area. Let alone will the Sinnoh remakes be complete remakes from a different character perspective entirely.

I could see the Battle Zone or Great Marsh restructured into a Wild Area. I think Dynamax will stay since ORAS had Mega Evos.

Masuda said there are no more plans for Let's Go remakes, so these will definitely be traditional ones.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Pretty easy to make Mt. Coronet a "wild area" or have it be a new exclusive area.

Toddv360

Oct 27, 2017
The dex was 300 in sumo, 400 in usum, and 153 in Lets Go. Did you catch them all then?

I mean in terms of having every single pokemon possible in the game. Sun and Moon obviously had more than 300 pokemon if you count all the mons you could import from older games. I didn't play Lets Go. Also I haven't really liked the newer pokemon games as much ever since the move to 3D so I mostly only played through the story and end games for newer titles. Didn't mean to make anyone mad with what I said. I just feel like only 400 possible pokemon in the game is a lot more doable in terms of catching them all in a reasonable amount of time. Especially if the massive list of old legendary pokemon isn't included.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
The Dexit controversy is never going to go away. Every new game release going forward will have the subject come up because Pokemon are an intrinsic part of the experience
It will certainly come up, but I do have a sense people will eventually get used to it and it'll become less of a "Gamefreak is killing half the Pokémon" feeling and more of a "interested to see which Pokémon will be in this new game" feeling. I guess we'll see though.

Edit: How engaging Pokémon Home ends up being will be crucial here.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh.

Someone pointed out Eternatus being related to the wolves may be the Hound of Tindalos with it's bizarre angles.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
The Dexit controversy is never going to go away. Every new game release going forward will have the subject come up because Pokemon are an intrinsic part of the experience
Of course it's never going to go away. Every release cycle going forward will involve people will be waiting for a dex leak and getting mad at the results.

Especially since Charizard and Pikachu will continue to get new forms every generation.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I mean in terms of having every single pokemon possible in the game. Sun and Moon obviously had more than 300 pokemon if you count all the mons you could import from older games. I didn't play Lets Go. Also I haven't really liked the newer pokemon games as much ever since the move to 3D so I mostly only played through the story and end games for newer titles. Didn't mean to make anyone mad with what I said. I just feel like only 400 possible pokemon in the game is a lot more doable in terms of catching them all in a reasonable amount of time. Especially if the massive list of old legendary pokemon isn't included.
Was just curious since you said recent gens. Gen 7 was probably the easiest gen to complete with how small the dexes were.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Less total Pokémon in game means less daunting of a challenge. It's not that hard to understand why someone would feel that way.

Catching everyone in "only" the regional dex doesn't quite have the same feeling of accomplishment.

It doesn't really change anything though. If someone hasn't even made an attempt just to catch all the pokemon in one game, jumping to "catching all 400 in sw/sh" is never going to happen. The amount of pokemon you can get in just sword or shield without trading is about as many as you could get in the last several games. The only exception is lets go which had an intentionally tiny roster to replicate gen 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.