• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not. The inconsistency made no sense to me when the game came out. My guess is the scaling isn't "for handhelds" as if often the excuse/reason given, and is more to ease the workload when coding the hitboxes and animations/effects. Rather than have every pokemon represented by it's actual size and have to adjust animations for those several hundred differently sized models, they group all pokemon into a much smaller subset of "sizes" (some are slightly scaled up, some scaled down) and then the animations and effects only have to be tweaked for that number
Translation: bummer

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
I'm saddened by this. They got rewarded for rushing a game and intentionally cutting features, only to be added later for a price.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
To all the people who enjoyed the new games and there are a lot here, doesn't it bother you how linear Sword and Shield are ?

I hated/loved the inclusion of the Wild Area so early in the gameplay. To me it was VERY distracting, and it would take me days to go from one gym to another, because I just couldn't leave the Wild Area for hours.

I still believe the Wild Area should've been saved for the post-game. Maybe only a very small restricted area should've been accessible in the beginning, or at certain points of the story, but the majority of it should've been saved for the after you become champion.

My biggest complaint, and it's shaped my mentality since June, is the missing Pokémon. The moment I knew we wouldn't have everyone, THAT really made me lose any expectation or interest in any other aspect of the games. So I played the games waiting for the worst, and at the end it wasn't that bad, so I guess that's the reason why I was able to enjoy it, for a bit.

I do recognize the story got more boring than in previous games, I didn't really feel any excitement with Rose battle or the story of the legendary Pokémon, etc, but it's like, meh. It could've been the most amazing story ever, and even then I wouldn't have been able to enjoy it knowing that after I beat the main story, half of the Pokémon would be missing from the game.

No42.05W70.2

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
The anime had the games as the source material not the other way around.
Lol I mean all of the iconography of the franchise/how the characters look, the merchandising etc stems from the anime. The og games came out before portable screens were even backlit. You couldn't even play the games in a dark room without a book light or something lmao.

Jun 2, 2019
To all the people who enjoyed the new games and there are a lot here, doesn't it bother you how linear Sword and Shield are ?

No, not really. Two weeks before getting Sword I just finished playing black, wich is literally a straight line with no backtracking whatsoever. At least in SwSh you backtrack twice: For the fourth and 8th medals

get Genius Sonority back on it

I don't want them near the franchise in a million years

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2019
Heh, I don't feel like it's deserved. Mediocre graphics, garbage story ( if they can't manage to make a good one then I prefer no story at all ), not enough new pokémons and fucking awful routes with a boring area that apparently is the size of a region in Botw ( lol )

I still had fun with some mechanics like the curry or the raids but damn it's an unfinished product

LATOTHEBAY

Banned
Sep 26, 2019
I haven't played the game yet but I am happy for its success. My gf really seems to enjoy it.

I am not surprised by its success...basically anytime era freaks out it's a safe bet the game will do well. Usually. Lol

No42.05W70.2

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Cool, I was not a child and thus do not feel the need to have VA, If they add it at some point then cool, It's not on my checklist of requirements though
I mean, just consider the cognitive dissonance between "I don't care I don't want that in a Pokemon game" and an entire thread shredding Blizzard right now because their cutscenes aren't cropped in/the character models were downgraded to a lower spec. Like, in one instance consumers recognize the virtue of production values, and standard of immersion in a retail game experience in 2020. In the other instance its just like "I CONSUME DIS PRODUC. NINTEN IS MY GAWD"

BeepBoop

Nov 24, 2019
I think you are wrong when you say Pokemon will never change because of how much it sells

Pokemon has changed a lot, going back to Kanto with Pokemon Let's Go made me realize how much the game's design philosophy has changed through the years that it feels almost like a different game, a spinoff maybe

The wild area helped a lot in making it feel more open, it would be neat if sections of wild areas or each Route turned into a wild area in the future games, and expand caves too with it

Plus the last handful of games (like all the 3ds ones at least) were probably even more linear in comparison

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018

To be fair not in the slightest. I love some open world games but not everything needs to become one. Pokémon has a structure that I am familiar with and I am quite happy with. No need to change everything because of any given current trend.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
No. Open is not superior to linear and vice versa.

SwSh is both linear (the story line, fixed camera in all story-related parts) and open world (Wild Area, especially after the story has been completed, free camera movement). I guess any player who fills the Pokedex with more than 200 Pokemon will view SwSh more as a open world game than a linear story game.

Deleted member 54216

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 26, 2019
No respect for those that support this approach. 16 million supported that, unbelievable. I guess they want it to continue like that.
Serries don't want to be ambitious.
Over 20 years now but i thinks it time to go.
Thank you for everything game freak but it's time.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Ya know what would be really nice.

If all the people constantly saying they will leave the series would actually do so, rather than keep repeating it without actually doing it.

Do you want a round of applause for claiming to not buy a games in a specific series ?

Jun 2, 2019
Its been forever since i has a device that could play their games, but i vaguely remember that the battling system was kind of broken in their games.

Did i imagine that or was it because they were pre Special Split or something ?

More than that (They developed both pre and post split) my issue is that their games are, at best, mediocre, underdelivering and underdeveloped. All this time later I still feel ripped off by Colosseum, and Battle Revo was a disappointment in many regards.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
The Colosseum games had their own limitations and issues.

Like the main character joins Team Snagem for reasons that are never explained and decides to betray them just because and that's his entire character.

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
For God's sakes, stop spreading that lie.

What lie? The fact that they cut half the Pokémons only to be added later as DLC?

None of what you said is true, except maybe you're saddened by it. I guess that may be true

Still lying to yourself I see. Last time I said the game was dropping frames you said it didn't and it was only stutter, only to be proven wrong by Digital Foundry who said to leave online mode off.

The game is rushed with horrible performance, bad textures, embarrassing animations, lackluster story even for Pokémon standards, and the cutting of half of the Pokémons only to be added as DLC is just the icing on this medicore title.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
What lie? The fact that they cut half the Pokémons only to be added later as DLC?

Still lying to yourself I see. Last time I said the game was dropping frames you said it didn't and it was only stutter, only to be proven wrong by Digital Foundry who said to leave online mode off.

The game is rushed with horrible performance, bad textures, embarrassing animations, lackluster story even for Pokémon standards, and the cutting of half of the Pokémons only to be added as DLC is just the icing on this medicore title.
The Pokémon are free DLC

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
So....what's the state of all of those YouTube channel shows that's turned shitting on Pokémon by spreading misinformation and FUD into a career? Is it similar to the captain marvel situation where they're now saying Nintendo bought copies of their own game?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

You were called out for claiming that they intentionally cut features to sell them to the players and are now trying to move the goalpost by focusing on the returning Pokemon that will be available to players who don't buy the DLC.

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait

Godsent

Jan 11, 2019
My point of it being rushed

It's not rushed if the original vision was to ship the game as it was and expand it later through the free DLC later.

Would you call BotW was rushed because it didn't have the higher-difficulty mode? would you also call the original MK8 was rushed because it didn't have the extra courses? Would you call Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was rushed because it didn't explain what happened in Torna?

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
So....what's the state of all of those YouTube channel shows that's turned shitting on Pokémon by spreading misinformation and FUD into a career? Is it similar to the captain marvel situation where they're now saying Nintendo bought copies of their own game?

It brings them lots of views from people that enjoy hating on popular games regardless if the games deserve it or not

It's not rushed if the original vision was to ship the game as it was and expand it later through the free DLC later.

Would you call BotW was rushed because it didn't have the higher-difficulty mode? would you also call the original MK8 was rushed because it didn't have the extra courses? Would you call Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was rushed because it didn't explain what happened in Torna?

I haven't played those games nor am I invested into these franchises to answer you, but the cutting of Pokémons felt like a rushed and intentional design to me.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
It brings them lots of views from people that enjoy hating on popular games regardless if the games deserve it or not

I haven't played those games nor am I invested into these franchises to answer you, but the cutting of Pokémons felt like a rushed and intentional design to me.
How can it be rushed and intentional at the same time ?
Rushed would mean they didnt have the time to put them in, which is the direct opposite of intentionally not putting them in.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
They're still trying. One intends to do an expose. They're now pushing for HOME is a scam, Pokémon is a scam, counting the bytes of the Pokémon and to cloud storage systems to show it's a scam. Same with the DLC. They've taken to adding up both games, DLC, HOME Subscription, Bank Subscription and Nintendo Switch Online to show how much you have to pay for a "complete" experience now.

There were significant meltdowns when the sales figures came yesterday

Last edited:

Godsent

Jan 11, 2019

I get what you're saying...and I agree with you this is an intentional design. as someone who has to routinely make similar decisions, I think the devs had to decide what Pokemon can be included months before sw/sh release date. and those 400 were the ones they were comfortable with..

I just don't think it's rushed.. this is what GF envisioned what the initial release of sw/sh should look like.. as a Pokemon fan myself, I'm quite happy about that decision, there's no need to delay the release to fill more Pokemon into the dex

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
They're still trying. One intends to do an expose. They're now pushing for HOME is a scam, Pokémon is a scam, counting the bytes of the Pokémon and to cloud storage systems to show it's a scam. Same with the DLC. They've taken to adding up both games, DLC, HOME Subscription, Bank Subscription and Nintendo Switch Online to show how much you have to pay for a "complete" experience now.

There were significant meltdowns when the sales figures came yesterday
Calling it a scam is indeed insane. Overpriced is the better term, it should be included in your NSO sub.