• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jun 2, 2019

CHUNKYBOWSER

Nov 13, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I really hope that, despite these record breaking sales, Gamefreak tries to improve the next games.

The lack of "dungeons", no legendary trio, and a predictable story line really hurts these games.

Not to mention the animation. It's honestly offensive. I couldn't believe my eyes when you see a certain rival catch a Pokemon, but he doesn't even have a Pokeball rendered in his hand. I almost lost it.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They would had sold one more if their game would had been better

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So a 7m difference.
That should be doable, especially since SWSH should have great legs due to the DLC, and Switch probably having its peak year in 2020.

Imagine the outrage if they did a Fire Emblem though, and count the DLCs as unit sales, i could melt a Heatran with that.
???

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I would like to say, "Maybe the backlash has opened GFs eyes to how unhappy the fanbase is with the current state of the series, and they'll throw us a bone!" but there's no way in hell at this point that Masuda and Ohmori don't utterly hate the fanbase.

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
Yeah, it was an extremely vocal small minority.

I've seen the analytics. It's mostly the same 20 to 30 people on Pokémon posts, on Serebii posts etc. regurgitating the same point.

Sure, people were mad at first, enmass, but it died down.

Subjective. I consider them better.

Yes it is subjective. I personally believe the monster designs are amongst some of the best. But overall I still find it a bad game, for example the dialogue in the first meeting with the champion is so bad that I had to turn off the game and come back to it (I mean for example hell the rival is your childhood friend and yet you have never met his brother).

But tbh I am quite pessimistic about it all now. This is a COD/FIFA series at this stage and I don't expect it to really be improved other then small increments.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
No reason for Gamefreak to change anything, no reason for me to ever play pokemon again. Ah well.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
I really hope that, despite these record breaking sales, Gamefreak tries to improve the next games.

The lack of "dungeons", no legendary trio, and a predictable story line really hurts these games.

Not to mention the animation. It's honestly offensive. I couldn't believe my eyes when you see a certain rival catch a Pokemon, but he doesn't even have a Pokeball rendered in his hand. I almost lost it.
They try to improve with every new game, as does literally every Dev ever.
To claim otherwise it at best ignorant and most likely just a thinly veiled "lazy dev" comment.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
For comparison, here are the numbers for launch to December 31st in respective launch years since launches were worldwide
X/Y: 11.61 million
ORAS: 9.35 million
Sun/Moon: 14.69 million
USUM: 7.17 million
Let's Go: 10 million

SM was in a bigger userbase and during GO hype.

This is nuts
Wait a minute. The opening post said Sun and Moon is at 16.17 million total.

It only sold about 1.5 million after its initial launch period?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I would like to say, "Maybe the backlash has opened GFs eyes to how unhappy the fanbase is with the current state of the series, and they'll throw us a bone!" but there's no way in hell at this point that Masuda and Ohmori don't utterly hate the fanbase.
They probably have an issue with a segment of the fanbase since they were actively being harassed and threatened, but I doubt they hate the fanbase overall, especially with these sales.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Really good result!

Eventually the DLC is going to inflate the sales of these games and kind of make comparison to previous games in the series unfair. But these sales are pre-DLC and still very strong.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
For Fire emblem fates, some of their reports counted the DLC download of the other routes as a seperate unit sale.
so say someone bought FE Conquest, and the the DLC for the Revelations and Birthright routes, that would have been counted as 3 Unit sales of the game.
I get that reasoning for Retail copies, but not really for the discounted secondary routes DLC.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'd be curious what the cost/benefit analysis is for printing and selling a dual version upgrade like USUM for $60 vs. the DLC they're offering. USUM did really well but that would obviously come at the expense of cutting the legs of the original game.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
The backlash didn't go in vain. They're bringing a lot of pokemon back.
I believe they planned to do it this way since the beginning. I mean Pokemon Home was always on the plan.

There are lot's of things that disappointed me and decided to skip but I'm glad they are updating the game for once instead of moving immediately on. 30$ for a big pass is a good deal for me (the Home subscription on the other hand... yikes).

CHUNKYBOWSER

Nov 13, 2017
Osaka, Japan
They try to improve with every new game, as does literally every Dev ever.
To claim otherwise it at best ignorant and most likely just a thinly veiled "lazy dev" comment.
Yes, they try to improve every game, but in this case they made sacrifices that I don't think were worth it. Of course there are other aspects of the game that are improved compared to past releases, in my opinion: the wild area, gym battles, and the competitive side of the game.

But at some point we have to ask ourselves: is it really acceptable to have such piss-poor animation in 2019-2020? Breath of the Wild was released 3 years ago... and this wasn't even Gamefreak's first game on the Switch.

Honestly I think a lot of it is a money grab. They removed the GTS from the games, too, only to add it back with a separate app which has a paid option. And I wouldn't be surprised if the DLC includes the dungeons that should have been included in the original game. We can see that the DLC already has the legendary trio.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
For the LTD of the game i'll wait to see the meeting results, they'll probabily share sold through numbers.

If the game is not overshipped, 25 million could happen.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gamefreak try to improve Pokémon. It's that what they focus on improving isn't what you (or me, or many other people) enjoy about the series.

At some point you have to accept that Gamefreak doesn't care about what you want from Pokémon and never will. Either you keep playing the games with that caveat or you just stop playing.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
You know what's the best part? Sinnoh remake is gonna be even bigger than that. Oh boy, that game is gonna be insane...

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gamers were HUNGER FOR DECADES for a mainline Pokémon game in the bigger screen. This shows how dumb was Game Freak's persistance to keep it portable-only for so long.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
For Fire emblem fates, some of their reports counted the DLC download of the other routes as a seperate unit sale.
so say someone bought FE Conquest, and the the DLC for the Revelations and Birthright routes, that would have been counted as 3 Unit sales of the game.
I get that reasoning for Retail copies, but not really for the discounted secondary routes DLC.
I don't see the purpose of doing that beyond inflating sales numbers, which Pokémon doesn't really need to do.

Mirev

Jun 8, 2018
For comparison, here are the numbers for launch to December 31st in respective launch years since launches were worldwide
X/Y: 11.61 million
ORAS: 9.35 million
Sun/Moon: 14.69 million
USUM: 7.17 million
Let's Go: 10 million

SM was in a bigger userbase and during GO hype.

This is nuts

Pokémon: Let's Go! - 11.76
Pokémon Ultrasole e Ultraluna - 8.70
Pokémon Sole e Luna - 16.18
Pokémon Rubino Omega e Zaffiro Alpha - 14.26
Pokémon X e Y - 16.44

updated

Deleted member 24021

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

No no, you stop it. It's selling good, that means the game is flawless and doesn't deserve criticism.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Pokémon: Let's Go! - 11.76
Pokémon Ultrasole e Ultraluna - 8.70
Pokémon Sole e Luna - 16.18
Pokémon Rubino Omega e Zaffiro Alpha - 14.26
Pokémon X e Y - 16.44

updated
I'm talking about the sales up to the end of their release year, not final sales. That way we have a proper comparison

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Almost like the first real Pokemon console game is something people would get hyped for.
Gamers were HUNGER FOR DECADES for a mainline Pokémon game in the bigger screen. This shows how dumb was Game Freak's persistance to keep it portable-only for so long.
i really doubt the switch being a "home console" is what made the difference. Pokemon games would have sold way worse on previous home consoles except maybe the wii

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I mean, the Switch being a hybrid device that gives both options probably helped lol

Probably, yes, but remember, this is the first mainline Pokémon game you can truly play on the bigger screen. It's something not just Pokémon fans, but gamers in general, were waiting since the N64 days.

i really doubt the switch being a "home console" is what made the difference. Pokemon games would have sold way worse on previous home consoles except maybe the wii

Care to explain why the 3DS (DS?) games were never this fast selling before then if, according to you, a home console option doesn't make any difference?

Oct 25, 2017
That's a shame. It was obvious that it would do well, but such explosive success feels like the major issues that Pokemon games face for a lot of people will continue to be unaddressed.

I guess I'm a Temtem master from now on lol.

some people in this thread still not understanding that actually some people enjoyed it

Nobody is misunderstanding that

Deleted member 24021

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Community generalisation & antagonising other users; history of infractions for antagonism.
Or maybe that its flaws are ultimately inconsequential and don't overshadow the good things people like about it.

I always knew the Pokémon fanbase didn't care for quality. They should start bundling bundles of grass for buyers to snack on while playing.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Watching videos and critiques of this game, I don't really understand what people enjoy about it. Well, good for Nintendo anyways. It's weird how a company whose biggest IPs are often synonymous with quality and polish released a game like this.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll go ahead and assume that you're being sarcastic, because you have no duty whatsoever. The game is not for you, and that's alright

I'm not being sarcastic and you're in no position to tell me what is and isn't for me. I have played every single mainline Pokémon game since RBY. It's my favorite franchise bar none. I have a self-imposed "duty", or whatever you may call it, as 1. as I said, I love the franchise and 2. I'm deeply critical of this game, so I want to know exactly and first-hand what I think went wrong.

What I'm really tired of is people dismissing critical opinions of this game like you're doing here. It's not that my arguments against it are based on real matters, no, it's that the game "is not for me". I'm in the wrong here. OK, got it.

Explain the constant evolution since Gen 1 then.

See? Again. Somebody brings up a valid criticism, some people shut it down immediately. Are you saying that there is absolutely nothing to change from this game that would make it better? Nothing to bring back from previous games that would, in turn, improve this one? No rough edges that need polishing? Nothing at all that could result in a better game down the line?

I guess not.