• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
The impressions seem to be really positive so far based on the articles I've gotten to so far.

The VG247 article says he wasn't allowed to discuss the new Pokémon he saw, which at least means they're in there. Hopefully we'll get some leaks based on this preview build.
I would imagine they played the complete games given how close we are to release. They probably monitored everyone like hawks though.

OP
OP
Xavi

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
I love this picture :D

pokemon_sword_shield_16.png

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
You can like something and still have issues or disagree with development choices and decisions you know. It's not an either or situation. I may love the game but still feel disappointed about the lack of national Pokedex and how Game Freak handled revealing that.
What does this have to do with people crying about boycotting the game and then buying it at launch? Boycotting something or not is a textbook either or situation.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
One of the Spanish previews mentions they found a level 26 Onix on the first hour in the Wild Area. So this is gonna be Xenoblade now, huh?

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
My favorite part from the vg247 article:

For the uninitiated, the wild area is how Sword and Shield experiment with a bit of open world style design – an expansive open-ended area full of enemy encounters of all stripes. Powerful Pokemon are present here, and the game advises you to turn tail and run if you get on their bad side. There's also some very challenging trainers. The wild area is an interesting twist in that it seems to trust players a little more than the hand-hold heavy Pokemon titles of recent years. When you're dropped into it, there's a clear objective you can run to in order to continue the story, but equally you can begin wider exploration straight away.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
You can like something and still have issues or disagree with development choices and decisions you know. It's not an either or situation. I may love the game but still feel disappointed about the lack of national Pokedex and how Game Freak handled revealing that.
And I have no issues with you, specifically. I'm talking about the people who went into boycott mode, insisted the developers were liars and/or lazy, started shitting up every discussion with their toxicity, and still continue to make sure to let us know that yes, they will in fact be skipping out these games because they just look terrible, and like glorified 3DS games.

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So nobody is allowed to talk about new pokemon they saw.. Means probably they won't talk about the starter evolution aswell.. I mean that should be in the 2 hours

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It's interesting how secretive GF are still being about the games with the previews not allowed to mention the new Pokemon or the starter evolutions.

OP
OP
Xavi

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
That's provided you can deal enough damage for your Poké Balls to be effective, of course. By the time I reached the Wild Area, my Pokemon were around level 11. I spotted one particularly large level 15 Pokemon waddling around: I'm not allowed to say what it was, but it was equal parts menacing and cute. This beast was wiping off 90% of my HP with every quick attack, tearing through my creatures without mercy. Gradually, and through liberal use of potions, I whittled it down to the red. Three poke balls later and – click! – it was mine.

I love this, we Xenoblade.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I haven't seen anyone here mention about the "extra strong pokemon with a golden glow" you can find in the Wild Area that are guaranteed to have some max IV's.
Its mentioned in Eurogamer's article

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Welp, right now sounds like the perfect time to go dark on news. Generally very positive previews means I can look forward to it.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
And I have no issues with you, specifically. I'm talking about the people who went into boycott mode, insisted the developers were liars and/or lazy, started shitting up every discussion with their toxicity, and still continue to make sure to let us know that yes, they will in fact be skipping out these games because they just look terrible, and like glorified 3DS games.

Funny enough it was you that ten posts in started stirring shit with some gotcha bullshit, before you had even read the articles judging by your later post.

Previews are looking great.

--R

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao, Leon is named "Lionel" on the Spanish version, like Messi. Fitting with the football theme.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
One of the Spanish previews mentions they found a level 26 Onix on the first hour in the Wild Area. So this is gonna be Xenoblade now, huh?
It looks like you can run into super high leveled fully evolved Pokemon that can destroy you from the first second you step into the Wild Area.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
Huh, these are actually quite positive for a change.

I still have to "feel" the wild area with my own eyes. Everyone claims it is quite big but from what I'm seeing it doesn't look like that's the case, so I don't know what to think.

Also, encountering high level Pokémon feels a bit meh if you can't catch them. I understand why you can't, but that's the reason it doesn't work the same way it does in Xenoblade.

--R

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like you can run into super high leveled fully evolved Pokemon that can destroy you from the first second you step into the Wild Area.

It sounds really good. Even if you can catch one of those Pokémon, you wouldn't be able to use them as you lack the medals to control it. But, at the same time, if you catch one, you can plan your team around it. It's a great idea.

Electivirer

May 15, 2018
We already knew about the overleveled Pokémon in the Wild Area though, they literally showed that in the Treehouse segment.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
I saw a preview that said they rain into a level 40 dusclops in the first hour, it was Italian I think

Armite

Mar 30, 2018
Eurogamer

This is interesting:

A Pokémon with a (barely noticeable) yellow glow will appear on very, very rare occasions in the wild (I only saw two of them, and only in the Wild Area, myself) and you'll get a bit of flavour text when the battle starts noting their apparent strength. Rather than size, though, these have much more useful aspects: yellow-glowing 'mon have at least a couple of maximum IVs - the hidden gene-like stats that dictate how good one Machop is, say, compared to another - and they have Egg Moves rather than regular ones, too.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The significant difference with the Wild Area is, if you wander into the wrong part of it, you'll discover that the wild Pokémon can now be drastically overlevelled. It's a series first, and it honestly feels like the bravest thing Game Freak has done for a little while. You could always dip your toe into the odd higher-level route on the other side of a city, say, but never get caught in battle with a level 50, third-stage evolution 'mon with your starter and a level 6 Pidgey. In Sword and Shield it has a striking effect. It reminds me of some of the oldest games in the series where there was a real element of intimidation from some areas. Back then this was because of a fear of the unknown, and a spot of imagination filling in the blanks, but now it's because seeing a whopping great Pokémon five times your level is enough to intrigue and inspire.

Well, there's your hard mode guys, lol

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Metro.co.uk : Gigantic fun

Unfortunately, the hour and a half was over all too quickly and we were left desperately wanting more, which is of course the best sign possible. Pokémon fans, like most gamers, are never happy and we're sure there'll be complaints about the graphics and the minutiae of the gameplay but the bottom line is that this is the biggest step forward the series has seen in a long while. Whether all those steps are wise ones we'll have to see, but Pokémon is evolving and Sword and Shield represents its most impressive form so far.