• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you part of the...

• Grookey Gang

Votes: 941 31.8%
  • Sobble Squad

Votes: 954 32.3%
  • Scorbunny Team

Votes: 1,063 35.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
The bump to 60 is imo something very appreciated.
It makes filling the dex so much easier, since basically everything is one or two levels from hitting the final evo.

What version are you playing on ? I did some math and got the following:

Version Exclusives you need to trade for ammount to 29 Pokemon.

Then there are a handfull of pokemon you only find in one place at one weather at very low spawnchances.
Of these there are (including evos) about 5 per version.
Riolu+Lucario only in giants cap in a snowstorm at 5%.
Mimikyu in Giant Mirror in fog at 3%.
Drampa(shield)/Turtonator(Sword) in Lake of Outrage in Thunderstorm/Intense Sun at 2%
Eiscue(Shield)/Stonjourner(Sword) in route 10 at 2% or Lake of Outrage in fitting weather(Snowstorm/Sandstorm) at 5%.

Of note that the 29+5 i mention dont include the fossils, since they are decently easy to get from the digging brothers.

That's a good list, thank you. I have Shield and I have all my version exclusives. I'll have to hit up one of my Sword buddies for Turtonator though. I thought I had all the Sword exclusives but definitely don't have that.

A lot of the ones I have left are, as you surmised, weather dependent. Particularly fog, which I hadn't unlocked until recently. I've never seen some stuff like Clefairy which I need, so that's three Pokémon right there.

Do you know how to evolve in to a regular Cofagrigus?

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
You need a Unovan Yamask. You can trade for one in Ballonlea gym. The person will ask for a Galarian Yamask.
Dunno, but there was a small girl NPC in one of the gyms who offered to trade local Yamask for the other Yamask.
You have to get a regular Yamask by trading a Galarian one in one of the towns. (Ballonlea)
It evolves by levelling up.

Thanks all. I remember that trade now. I didn't do it at the time but then forgot to ever go back.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
I only have 3 weather dependent Pokemon left to catch, evolve Farfetch'd, catch Zacian, trade evos, and most of Shield exclusives left to complete the Pokedex. Oh and Sobble. I got a German Grookey from surprise trade. I want to catch Zacian before trading in case someone needs it to fill their dex.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Even the "just use mints" solution isn't much of a solution when they all cost like 50 BP and you only get 2 BP per battle at the tower.
Using mints can be worth it for pokemon that cant breed.
Its a balance between if you can hit the 1/26 diceroll faster than you can beat 25 trainers in the Tower.
That's a good list, thank you. I have Shield and I have all my version exclusives. I'll have to hit up one of my Sword buddies for Turtonator though. I thought I had all the Sword exclusives but definitely don't have that.

A lot of the ones I have left are, as you surmised, weather dependent. Particularly fog, which I hadn't unlocked until recently. I've never seen some stuff like Clefairy which I need, so that's three Pokémon right there.

Regular evos of pokemon that have galar versions can be gotten by trading a galar version for a regular one.

For Cofagrigus, you can trade one in the gym of Balloneta.
For Persian, you can trade in the gym of Grass town.(where stonehenge is)

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Using mints can be worth it for pokemon that cant breed.
Its a balance between if you can hit the 1/26 diceroll faster than you can beat 25 trainers in the Tower.
Sitting through the Eternatus/Zacian scenes is boring and so is chugging through tower trainers.

It's not so bad with the fossils and gift mons since picking up the pokemon, quitting the game and restarting is fast there.

this wouldn't be an issue if they didn't fuck over synchronizers

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Just got to the second main town and I'm about to fight Nessa. Really enjoying the relaxing nature of this game, just what I needed right now. Grabbed a Farfetch'd on Route 5 and managed to level him up from one of the trainer battles there thanks to Focus Energy. Sirfetch'd is such a cool design.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

G-Max Snorlax will appear starting December 4. His signature move, G-Max Replenish, restores consumed berries.

Also we finally got the Starter Evo artwork.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Just got my 5th badge.

Does this game pick-up in terms of story? Feels like there are no side quests or like big bad guy. Really feels like Im going from gym to gym without any world interaction

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just got my 5th badge.

Does this game pick-up in terms of story? Feels like there are no side quests or like big bad guy. Really feels like Im going from gym to gym without any world interaction
there's some plot stuff in the 6th gym's city.

some character stuff in the 7th gym's city.

then everything happens in the league city.

you can decide if it's done well or not

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird because Cinderace is probably the best looking final evo to me, but it looks the worst of the three in the art while Rillaboom is hideous but looks fine in its art.

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
I wanted to ask, the abilities Flashfire, an Harvest, increase your chances to run into fire an grass Pokemon respectively, is there an ability like this for Flying type Pokemon ?

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Can you change your Switch system date to manipulate weather conditions? I just need a Turtonator to complete my dex, but I haven't seen an Intense Sun day at Lake of Outrage yet.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017

I know how. I'll tell you when I get home. Don't trade your Galerian yamask for the normal one, or you'll have to catch another one to fill the Dex entry.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Do they have to lead your party or just be in it?

Also is there a list of other little changes like this?

it does need to be in the lead.

Other abilities that do it with their respective type are:
Harvest for grass
Lightning Rod for Electric
Storm Drain for Water

Edit:
Also very interessting, Super Luck(absol, murkrow and pidove line) increases chance encountered poke has an item.
Could be usefull if you want some rare carried items.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, a bit of help please, lol. I'm a beginner at Pokémon and I have NO IDEA what I should be looking for if I want to form a core 6 pokemon party. Any tips or suggestions?
Broke answer: Cover all your typings to make a balanced team, try not to have multiple of the same type on your team or at least make sure they're dual typed if so to increase your option coverage, make sure some of your Pokémon have status effect moves and aren't just offense based power houses, take into account whether the attacks you do learn your Pokémon play into benefit of their stats (have special attacks rather than physical attacks if your Pokémon has a better Sp. Atk stat than Atk stat, etc.), preferably let your Pokémon learn attack moves that are correspondent to their typing so they get a STAB off of their attack (if you use an attack of the same type as your Pokémon, it'll do more damage), make sure to give the Pokémon held items that can boost their stats or give you an edge in battle

Woke answer: Just build a team of Pokémon you think are cute/cool, breh

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Guys, a bit of help please, lol. I'm a beginner at Pokémon and I have NO IDEA what I should be looking for if I want to form a core 6 pokemon party. Any tips or suggestions?
It's all up to you. I usually try and keep a varied team that covers a few bases. Right now I've got Fire, Water/Rock, Electric, Steel/Flying, Bug/Psychic and Dragon/Ghost. They all have attacks that cover a few type advantages, as well.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I'm overwhelmed here, lol. I guess I should just carry pokemons of different types?

Also, in what way the genders of the Pokémon actually matter? Can one type of Pokémon be different gender? Advantages/disadvantages?

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

For in-game just try to get a lot of different pokemon types for your team. You can beat pretty much all the in-game fights with the rock-paper-scissors style of using the right type against the opponent.

Now, you want to go online and competitive? That's gonna be a bit longer to explain. That's when you need to worry about Abilties and Weathers and Terrains. But if you want a good sample team to learn with, go to the Battle Tower and try out the rental teams for a bit. They are good starter teams to learn some competitive strategies with and would be the next step I suggest you go with.

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm overwhelmed here, lol. I guess I should just carry pokemons of different types?

Also, in what way the genders of the Pokémon actually matter? Can one type of Pokémon be different gender? Advantages/disadvantages?
Mostly for Pokémon with attract or charm. Attract causes infatuation which is like a really bad paralysis and charm lowers your attack stat a big amount

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Carrying a bunch of different typed Pokémon is generally a good idea, yeah- are you familiar with the type effectiveness chart? Here's a good resource if not.

Genders don't matter, by and large- there are a minute handful of Pokémon with slight design or moveset differences, and the mechanics mentioned above, but nothing you particularly need to worry about.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Just a question, finished the 3rd gym yesterday and was wondering at what level it's safe to tackle the G-Max Pokemon raids down the road? Given that those Pokemon rotate, i fear i might not have Pokemon ready for Snorlax and the current ones.

goodretina

Dec 30, 2018
Just got my 5th badge.

For the most part any time story stuff happens the "adults" handle it off screen and tell you to keep going with the gym challenge. This changes at the very end and in the brief post game quest.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just a question, finished the 3rd gym yesterday and was wondering at what level it's safe to tackle the G-Max Pokemon raids down the road? Given that those Pokemon rotate, i fear i might not have Pokemon ready for Snorlax and the current ones.
1* and 2* around level 20

3* around level 30 to 40

4* around level 40 to 50

5* at least level 60

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
Raids come at different levels, so you should always be ready for the ones that spawn for you (and the AI trainers are somewhat viable at that level), for multiplayer, I don't know if you're leveled to match whoever your partnering with but you prob won't have the mons for it for another gym or so imo.

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
There are multiple ways to approach this. The depth of team building is the most complex and complicated aspect of Pokémon, but for a beginner like yourself, there are some much more simplified rules. But the biggest thing to remember, and this is truly a golden rule: "everything works in game."

You do not need to make a perfectly balanced and optimized team to beat a Pokémon game. What you like and who your favorites are can be just as good of options as having a balanced or optimized team. Do not feel like you need to do anything. But if you want a simple beginner's team structure, here's what you can do.

Think of your team as A, B, C, D, E, and F.

A, B, and C should form what we call a "core", which refers to complimentary coverage of types. The most straightforward one is Fire, Water, Grass, which don't share any weaknesses and all hit different things super effectively. Having a Fire/Water/Grass core means you will be able to properly respond to different threats - especially opposing Pokémon of those types. You can respond to Fire with Water, Respond to Water with Grass, etc.

Pokémon D and E should be another coverage core with complimentary types to deal with specific threats. Fighting and Psychic, for example. Fighting can hit all the Dark types that Psychic can't. Psychic can hit the Poison types Fighting can't. Fighting Pokémon can't hit Ghosts, but Psychic Pokémon usually have a Ghost-type move to hit ghosts super effectively. These partners aren't so much about perfectly responding to certain threats that might give you trouble otherwise and give you options to switch in and out safely.

The D & E core is very flexible. Do not worry too much about "perfect" coverage here. Dragon pairs well with Fairy, but it also pairs well with Steel. An Electric Pokémon would appreciate a Flying type friend who is immune to Ground type. But a Flying type loves a Ground Type who is completely immune to Electric and can hit back for massive damage. The important thing here is that they are not both weak against the same things.

Your final Pokémon, F, can be a few different things. It can be a super tanky bulky Pokémon who can just tank hits and buy you time to revive or restore your other party members. It can be a super-fast cleaner who can come in and revenge kill threats who've taken someone else out. It can be a Pokémon with lots of super effective coverage to hit the most amount of Pokémon. This should be whatever your team needs.

This is just the most simple way of doing it. It's also not the only way of doing it. A/B/C and D/E/F can be two perfect cores instead for maximum balance. Or if you have great type coverage with one Pokémon (for example, the blessed Thunderbolt/Ice Beam combo on a water type), you can afford to have other Pokémon specialize in more specific things since your Water type can do so much at once.

Your team can also change throughout the game. Dragon types are rare early on, but are common in the late game. If you bring a Dragon Pokémon aboard, you might adjust another party member to cover its weaknesses better. For example, now you might have a 4x weakness to ice like a lot of Dragons do. So you'd need to have a switch-in specifically to eat those ice beams.

Hopefully this helps and isn't more confusing than it needs to be. Just remember: everything works in game. You only have to think about it as deeply as you want to.

Elshoelace

Oct 25, 2017
there's some plot stuff in the 6th gym's city.

some character stuff in the 7th gym's city.

then everything happens in the league city.

you can decide if it's done well or not
Hmm..interested in seeing how it is done. So far I've felt like I'm not interacting with whatever the plot actually is. Seems like the older people are doing all the actual plot and telling me not to worry about it and giving me a couple revives and sending me on my way. It's like if some random character in Red and Blue dealt with team rocket and I just went gym to gym.

Status
Not open for further replies.