• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you part of the...

• Grookey Gang

Votes: 941 31.8%
  • Sobble Squad

Votes: 954 32.3%
  • Scorbunny Team

Votes: 1,063 35.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm good with that limit. If you reach that then you're very likely in a stalling battle.
20 minutes has nothing to do with stalling what? Attacks animations and dynamaxing are included which cost even more of your time. If anything the opposite is the case since this format FAVORS stalling since you have a minute per turn in addition to attack animations. Just stall your opponent out and you win lol

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
So this is my first Pokemon game... I started playing over the week-end... I'm enjoying it overall but at the same time I kinda feel like I'm on autopilot?

I just got to the mine after route 3... I've been catching pokemons and fighting everything I meet but at the end of the day the game is super linear (which is fine) but I pick attacks at mostly random... If my pokemon is getting low on health I swap it out but like... That's it?

I'm not complaining or anything... I'm just now sure what I'm dealing with exactly?

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm good with that limit. If you reach that then you're very likely in a stalling battle.
Uhh, this means stalling will be more common than ever.
People will just use stuff like Toxapex and take as long as they possibly can.
If you can't knock out their bulky stuff in 20 minutes, which may be unlikely, then you lose.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
So this is my first Pokemon game... I started playing over the week-end... I'm enjoying it overall but at the same time I kinda feel like I'm on autopilot?

I just got to the mine after route 3... I've been catching pokemons and fighting everything I meet but at the end of the day the game is super linear (which is fine) but I pick attacks at mostly random... If my pokemon is getting low on health I swap it out but like... That's it?

I'm not complaining or anything... I'm just now sure what I'm dealing with exactly?
Early game Pokemon is always basically autopilot. I steamrolled the first three gyms using obvious type advantages. Hopefully the next gyms are a bit tougher. It was funny how they hyped up Kabu as this dream crusher that defeats most other gym challengers but I defeated him easy peasy.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Early game Pokemon is always basically autopilot. I steamrolled the first three gyms using obvious type advantages. Hopefully the next gyms are a bit tougher. It was funny how they hyped up Kabu as this dream crusher that defeats most other gym challengers but I defeated him easy peasy.
Bea gave me way more trouble than Kabu did lol

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017

In your settings change from Switch mode to Set mode.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
Finished the game and the post game, this is definitely a good pokemon game, a 7/10 for me, i enjoyed it more than X and Y or Sun and Moon for sure.

I'll list some positive and negatives:

The Positives:

+The Wild Area is an awesome addition and exactly what the pokemon series needed, the best part of the game imo, even tho it doesn't look good i still enjoyed it, this wild area should be a standard for the series from now on.

+The Raids are really fun, i love how they encourage players to play with each other and get rewarded for it.

+Gigantamaxing and Dynamaxing is the new gimmick and i liked it, definitely light years better than the stupid Z Moves, but i still prefer the Mega evolutions the most.

+The art and music are amazing, this game has some of the best designs for pokemons, characters and locations for the series.

+Gyms are alot of fun this time around, i love the how they are presented, grand and epic, i wish they did more with the mini games tho.

+The Pokemon Camp is amazing, i love the interactions with my pokemons using this feature, very cute.

The negatives:

-The story had some interesting concepts and characters but the presentation was bad, it really needed a build up for it.

-The routes and dungeons are terrible, they are lazy and short and honestly they make the game feel boring, the series had a huge drop in quality for routes and dungeons since the X and Y days, and now they are at all time low, at this point i think GF should stop making them and give us more wild areas instead.

-The lack of things to do in Cities and Towns here is bad, i wish at least the npcs had some interesting things to say.

-The game has some really embarrassing graphics at times and some bad animations, they make the game look lazy, it's embarrassing especially for a Switch game, some areas has the wrong batttle backgrounds for them and some moves animations can't be even called animations.

-The Pokedex cut is still inexcusable, it is a shame i can't enjoy this game with some of my favourite pokemons.

So yeah for me overall it's good pokemon game, if only it had more development time and focus it would've been one of the greats.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not massively so, but the fact that regional evolutions eat into that number and we got fewer regional variants than SM on top of that makes it feel like we got less here than last gen.

I can't agree due to Gen 7 having so many Ultra Beasts. In fact, this gen having a low number of Legendaries helps make up for it, at least for me anyways, since I typically don't use them.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't delved into any online battling yet but a 20 minute time limit on a 6v6 definitely sounds like it should not be a thing for a lot of reasons.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
EKQrfkYUEAEIS89

Ran into a shiny unexpectedly! First random shiny since like Gen 5 i think?

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
While I think its clear that Gamefreak pays very little mind to 6v6 meta stuff and clearly focus on 3v3 singles and 4v4 doubles (6v6 singles is basically a Smogon fan metagamesat this point, and I say that as someone whose been a frequent poster there for over a decade rofl), I still think it sucks for the people that DO like to play that on cart that they're stuck with an inadequete 20 minute timer =/

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't delved into any online battling yet but a 20 minute time limit on a 6v6 definitely sounds like it should not be a thing for a lot of reasons.
Tbf it wasn't until one streamer found this like 10 days after launch where this even became an issue to be aware of. So it doesn't seem like it will be that bad and it could be addressed by adding in a proper unrestricted option or extending the time limit to 30--25 minutes.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tbf it wasn't until one streamer found this like 10 days after launch where this even became an issue to be aware of. So it doesn't seem like it will be that bad and it could be addressed by adding in a proper unrestricted option or extending the time limit to 30--25 minutes.
I dunno, I'm no competitive Pokémon expert but I know for a fact that competitive meta rarely develops to a point where it rewards aggression more than it does defense, and I have at least some passing experience reading about Pokémon meta that has seen that many of its strongest setplay come in the form of trappers and very tanky play. Even if the time limit seems "okay" for now this is probably one of those things that's going to age badly if 6v6 is your preferred ruleset. I think if it's a problem 10 days in then it's only going to be exacerbated in the future - not that people won't deal with it in their own ways - but again, I'm no expert.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played more of the game today;
  • Entered into Glimwood Tangle at on the first mushroom light I caught my final team member Impidimp, I had been waiting a while to catch him,
  • Finally figured out how Pokémon Camp work and I take back my statement on it being slower to increase happiness/affection, it didn't take long for Impidimp to get five hearts,
  • Impidimp evolved into Morgrem, he's so beautiful but still not quite ready to battle with the team just yet as he's struggles in battle,
  • Trekking through Glimwood Tangle was confusing and I even got turned around a few time,
  • Arrived in Ballonlea, it's a nice little hidden village tucked away in a wood,
  • Met Marine and got her league card...eh having her entire back story dumped on the card was kinda lame. I honestly feel that she could have easily been cut from the game but eh we will see as we progress through the game,
  • Took on the fairy gym, the gym challenge was interesting,
  • Took on Opal and I lead with Sirfetch'd to take on Galarian Weezing, Sirfetch'd had steel wing and managed to get a crit and a defense boost leading him to win,
  • Opal then sent out Togekiss and I switched out to Drednaw, one smack down made quick work of the flying fairy. Drednaw so strong,
  • Opal then sent out Mawile and I switched out to Charizard, Charizard pretty much one shot it with flamethrower,
  • Opal then sent out Alcremie and I sent out Toxtricity, Opal Gigantamax her Alcremie .
  • Despite getting the defense boost from getting her question right, Toxtricity actually had a hard time against Gigantamax Alcremie as it's attack hit hard and healed up at the same time. But we managed to pull through and won.
  • Got the fairy badge and will be heading back to Hammerlock toward the next gym.
With 5 gym badge in tow, I am not that far off toward the end.

Btw who is disappointed by the lack of new pokémons? Only 81. They really don't want to pull another gen 5 on us huh? They could've alteast made 100 with the dex cut.

I am mixed on this, on the one hand it's lame that this is the third gen were the new Pokémon number count is low but on the other hand it's easier to use all the Pokémon I want to use due to the lower number.

This is just depressing.

shofu tried so hard to preach the good name of competitive battling, and I was mostly on his side, but then this one instance ruined everything for him. Kinda demotivates me to play competitive, and I'm a doubles guy who barely dodged a bullet with the ranked battle rules having no time limit, but I can't enjoy the other rules on the side now because of that 20-minute time limit.

That is just nitpicking for the stake of nitpicking. The timer is nothing new and had always existed since gen 4 and exist to prevent battles from lasting forever, which can happen in a stall battle.

I'm just pissed how hard are Alcremie's evolutionary items/decorations to get.

I am just pissed off by how many damn form Alcremie has. It has 63 forms, plus its Gigantamax form plus factoring shiny and that's is about 128 different models.

In a game where Pokémon are being cut due to development time limitation perhaps there should have been a limit on how many forms a Pokémon should have. Just think how many other Pokémon could have taken the form slots had development time had not been taken.

BinaryPork

Oct 31, 2017
Lake of Outrage looks a bit barren but having all these high level late game Pokémon chase me is fun. I really enjoy the wild area's overworld Pokémon.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
8th Gym done. I'm still having super fun with it, but man the last two Gyms were rough. This is the only time when I feel I wanted to play a "third version" of this game sometime next year, because I feel they will have more time to flesh the story. The 7th gym clearly weren't meant to be like that, and having characters describe actual dangers that is happening in the world but then they just go "Nah, you guys go focus on your Gym challenge" isn't storytelling. It isn't even the point of a Pokemon story, where the main characters temporarily put off their journey to help people in need and do something good.

It's frustrating that interviews that talk about this are very rare or will likely never happen so all we can do is guess what happened.

But for now, Wyndon it is.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finally evolved my Farfetch'd. Taught her Focus Energy using a TR and got 3 crits on my very first try, w00t!

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I read that Eevee shows up on Route 4, but all I can find is the occasional Pikachu. They aren't shield exclusive, are they?
I gave up and just bred my free Let's Go eevee with a ditto. i want sylveon dammit
p.s. is there much in the postgame? I don't have NSO so I can't do any multiplayer at all. i've been putting off the elite 4 until I get a solid team together. currently rocking Sirfetch'd, Frosslass, Arcanine, Lantern and Gardevoir. Sylveon will be my 6th

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I read that Eevee shows up on Route 4, but all I can find is the occasional Pikachu. They aren't shield exclusive, are they?
I gave up and just bred my free Let's Go eevee with a ditto. i want sylveon dammit
p.s. is there much in the postgame? I don't have NSO so I can't do any multiplayer at all. i've been putting off the elite 4 until I get a solid team together. currently rocking Sirfetch'd, Frosslass, Arcanine, Lantern and Gardevoir. Sylveon will be my 6th

Sword gets 5% Pikachu, 1% Eevee
Shield gets 5% Eevee, 1% Pikachu

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Played more of the game today;
  • Entered into Glimwood Tangle at on the first mushroom light I caught my final team member Impidimp, I had been waiting a while to catch him,
  • Finally figured out how Pokémon Camp work and I take back my statement on it being slower to increase happiness/affection, it didn't take long for Impidimp to get five hearts,
  • Impidimp evolved into Morgrem, he's so beautiful but still not quite ready to battle with the team just yet as he's struggles in battle,
  • Trekking through Glimwood Tangle was confusing and I even got turned around a few time,
  • Arrived in Ballonlea, it's a nice little hidden village tucked away in a wood,
  • Met Marine and got her league card...eh having her entire back story dumped on the card was kinda lame. I honestly feel that she could have easily been cut from the game but eh we will see as we progress through the game,
  • Took on the fairy gym, the gym challenge was interesting,
  • Took on Opal and I lead with Sirfetch'd to take on Galarian Weezing, Sirfetch'd had steel wing and managed to get a crit and a defense boost leading him to win,
  • Opal then sent out Togekiss and I switched out to Drednaw, one smack down made quick work of the flying fairy. Drednaw so strong,
  • Opal then sent out Mawile and I switched out to Charizard, Charizard pretty much one shot it with flamethrower,
  • Opal then sent out Alcremie and I sent out Toxtricity, Opal Gigantamax her Alcremie .
  • Despite getting the defense boost from getting her question right, Toxtricity actually had a hard time against Gigantamax Alcremie as it's attack hit hard and healed up at the same time. But we managed to pull through and won.
  • Got the fairy badge and will be heading back to Hammerlock toward the next gym.
With 5 gym badge in tow, I am not that far off toward the end.

I am mixed on this, on the one hand it's lame that this is the third gen were the new Pokémon number count is low but on the other hand it's easier to use all the Pokémon I want to use due to the lower number.

That is just nitpicking for the stake of nitpicking. The timer is nothing new and had always existed since gen 4 and exist to prevent battles from lasting forever, which can happen in a stall battle.

I am just pissed off by how many damn form Alcremie has. It has 63 forms, plus its Gigantamax form plus factoring shiny and that's is about 128 different models.

In a game where Pokémon are being cut due to development time limitation perhaps there should have been a limit on how many forms a Pokémon should have. Just think how many other Pokémon could have taken the form slots had development time had not been taken.
Can't speak for Gen 4 since I didn't play competitively then, but it wasn't an issue in Sun & Moon AND it didn't elapse while animations were undergoing. Not even remotely a nitpick.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
There is not unless you're into Battle Tower or doing raids. I finished the post-game 'story' in 45 minutes, and I wasn't rushing.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Is it possible to get a kantonese Mr. Mime by just breeding the one you can get from an in-game trade with a Ditto?

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Startin to really wish there was a more efficient way of doing Poke Jobs. Sending all these pokes out each day is getting tedious. You should at least be able to sort your box by type.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I have watched countless 6v6 wifi battles over the past generations that have lasted longer than 20 minutes. This is absolutely not a nitpick.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
So I've just done a morning of surprise trades (50 in total) sending out 6 Grookey, 3 Scorbunny, 5 Mr. Mime, 2 Corsola and 34 Applin. In return I got 3 Charizard (including a Gmax one!), 2 Frosmoth, 3 Gigalith, 1 Machamp, 1 Gengar, 4 Dreepy and a bunch of other actually good Pokemon. Not a single early game one, either the algorithm changes as you progress, or everybody's just waiting till post-game to do it :P

Sober

Oct 25, 2017
Just tested with a spare Fire Stone and wow you're right. My Growlithe only knew 4 moves but Arcanine has access to the entire arsenal. Crazy.
There's no way that's intentional (or is it). Pretty sure in SuMo I had to level until I learned all of Growlithe's moves at least since Arcanine doesn't learn anything except maybe on evolution.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana

I agree with how messy it is the fact they're using separate models for each form/shiny (if it's true for Alcremie as well). I wish I could say I'm pissed about the 63 forms though, but I'm really not lol I actually like it, and I think it's pretty fun the way to evolve them.

I just wish there was a more secure way to get the items, even if they were locked to a daily event, or a hard task, but that they weren't mixed with all those useless things like Lava Cookies, Old Gateau's, Exp Candies and whatnot. I wouldn't even mind if we got repeated ingredients every day, but that they were at least Alcremie items. Why did they have to mix the rewards at the cafe with every single edible item that has ever existed in the series?

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Is Wyndon the last place that offers new clothes to buy?

I'm not ready for my options to end. ;_;

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
So I've just done a morning of surprise trades (50 in total) sending out 6 Grookey, 3 Scorbunny, 5 Mr. Mime, 2 Corsola and 34 Applin. In return I got 3 Charizard (including a Gmax one!), 2 Frosmoth, 3 Gigalith, 1 Machamp, 1 Gengar, 4 Dreepy and a bunch of other actually good Pokemon. Not a single early game one, either the algorithm changes as you progress, or everybody's just waiting till post-game to do it :P

I'm sending out a bunch of Dreepys and every second pokemon I receive back is a Dreepy or a early game pokemon, lol. I do get some occasional nice ones, like a Lapras.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The Worlds Championship matches lasted around 15 to 18 minutes on average, and that's with 4v4 doubles. 6v6 singles is very likely to go over 20 minutes.
That's what I'm saying. The weird thing is that the 4v4 ranked rules has no battle time limit, but GF somehow thought they should put a limit on 6v6, a mode that at its core should be unrestricted.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
Very early stats from my Alcreamie Sweet farm using the time exploit

30 battles with 10 resets so far

8 sweets obtained total
2 Strawberry and 6 Berry
All berry sweets were gotten from the cafe in Hammerlocke. Strawberries were gotten in Motostoke. Nothing in Wyndon so far

May not be important but Im only going as far as tomorrow for the date

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Just got my third badge and I'm level 33 lol is my Pokémon gonna disobey me? 3rd badge is only 35 or is that just for catching Pokémon?

Status
Not open for further replies.