• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you part of the...

• Grookey Gang

Votes: 941 31.8%
  • Sobble Squad

Votes: 954 32.3%
  • Scorbunny Team

Votes: 1,063 35.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Klappdrachen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
FYI it's probably faster to breed a Pokémon from zero than to convert a random Pokémon into a competitive one. You still have to bring it to level 100, gring for the items to max IVs, grind for the item that changes nature, reset the EVs, give it the proper EVs...

If you know what you are doing it's a lot faster to breed.
Sadly I don't 😄 At least not yet. I did once dabble in EV stuff when B/W came out (I wanted to have a good Starmie) and I remember fighting a gazillion Stunfisks - and then Starmie got dexited lol.

But I'm looking forward to getting to know this stuff better and get some really good Pokemon in these games.

Oct 25, 2017
Working on a set of rules for a Sword and Shield Nuzlocke

1. If a pokemon faints, it is considered dead and must be released. If a player experiences a total defeat/wipeout, they have failed the challenge and must restart.

2. The Player can only catch the first Pokemon they see on a route. If multiple Pokemon are visible, the player has to select the one closest to the player character. If duplicates clause is in effect, the player can go for the second closest if they have already caught the closest pokemon on a previous route. If the wild pokemon runs away or faints in battle, the player does not get a do over and must progress to the next area.

3. All pokemon must be nicknamed to create an emotional bond.

4. The player can only catch one pokemon from the Wild Area when the game requires the player to run through the Wild Area to get to a new area and progress through the story(going to Motostoke before the first Badge, Going to Hammerlocke after earning the 3rd badge and so on). This means the player might have a couple of pokemon from the Wild Area but they aren't endlessly catching Pokemon when they are in it.

5. If a player is trying to catch a pokemon in the Wild Area and they get the "very strong _________" message at the battle's beginning, they can escape and try again for a pokemon they can actually use.

6. The player can only catch two pokemon from a Max Raid Battle for the entire playthrough.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon with a yellow aura are supposed to have a chance of having their hidden ability right? Because I've caught nearly 12 Hatenna and not a single one of these little shits has had magic bounce. I don't even want it that much anymore but I feel like I've come too far to stop trying at this point lol.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Pokemon with a yellow aura are supposed to have a chance of having their hidden ability right? Because I've caught nearly 12 Hatenna and not a single one of these little shits has had magic bounce. I don't even want it that much anymore but I feel like I've come too far to stop trying at this point lol.
No, they have higher IV's and egg moves. Hidden abilities come from raids

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do they patch or improved anything about the online system right now ? Or is that unscheduled maintenance?

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people comparing Hop to Hau when he's more like (a more justified) Serena/Calem? Is it just because they're both high energy?

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Just finished the last battle of the Champion Cup. God damn what a ride. I REALLY enjoyed this game. Loved the locations, loved the music, loved the stadiums and just the overall presentation.

Fantastic experience. Much better than X/Y and Sun/Moon for me.

Cut Pokémon big disappointment but damn this goes down as one of my favourite Pokémon games.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Whats the best way to evolve my Pikachu? I have it at Level 30 and I understand I need to raise it's happiness, what is the quickest way to do this? Also, where can I find a Firestone for my Vulpix?

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Speaking of Hidden Abilities, I'm trying to get a Farfetch'd with one in Sword. I've found the den that they spawn in, but have had no luck so far. A problem I have is that they are a two star spawn, and I just keep getting 4 & 5 stars.

Is there something I need to do to get the star level lower, or am I stuck with the full table and RNG now that I'm in the postgame?

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I really love the whole Rookidee-Corviknight line, probably my favorite bird line in any of the games. is there a specific den the gigantamax version spawns in?

I was also curious if the ability to Gigantamax transfers when Breeding?

Jaktagious

May 29, 2018
I've beaten Giga Butterfree like a dozen times at least and still haven't caught him. I'm terrified of how long it's gonna take me to get the Giga's I really want :(. Haven't even seen any of the cool forms like
Machamp and Gengar

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've beaten Giga Butterfree like a dozen times at least and still haven't caught him. I'm terrified of how long it's gonna take me to get the Giga's I really want :(. Haven't even seen any of the cool forms like
Machamp and Gengar
Giga butterfree is the most common gmax by far at the moment since it's been boosted by a launch event for everyone and can show up at any den

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
No, they have higher IV's and egg moves. Hidden abilities come from raids

They also give watts

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Breeding might still be viable but I want to point out that nothing is really locked to breeding anymore.

I for one don't plan to hatch an egg to get a competetive mon this gen.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Working on a set of rules for a Sword and Shield Nuzlocke

1. If a pokemon faints, it is considered dead and must be released. If a player experiences a total defeat/wipeout, they have failed the challenge and must restart.

2. The Player can only catch the first Pokemon they see on a route. If multiple Pokemon are visible, the player has to select the one closest to the player character. If duplicates clause is in effect, the player can go for the second closest if they have already caught the closest pokemon on a previous route. If the wild pokemon runs away or faints in battle, the player does not get a do over and must progress to the next area.

3. All pokemon must be nicknamed to create an emotional bond.

4. The player can only catch one pokemon from the Wild Area when the game requires the player to run through the Wild Area to get to a new area and progress through the story(going to Motostoke before the first Badge, Going to Hammerlocke after earning the 3rd badge and so on). This means the player might have a couple of pokemon from the Wild Area but they aren't endlessly catching Pokemon when they are in it.

5. If a player is trying to catch a pokemon in the Wild Area and they get the "very strong _________" message at the battle's beginning, they can escape and try again for a pokemon they can actually use.

6. The player can only catch two pokemon from a Max Raid Battle for the entire playthrough.

I would change 2 to be "First pokemon that appears in an ! encounter." I don't think there is any routes you can't get an ! to exist.

Same applies to Wild Area. I think if you allow raids, it has to be whatever first raid hole you look in, can't back out if you don't see what you like in there.

I dunno how you handle Route 8 outskirts as it's own new route or not.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
so is it basically impossible for Gigantamax Pokémon to be "Competitive?

You can use the Bottle Caps and Nature Mints to get the IVs and Nature Sorted, then nursery to get Egg Moves, so in theory Gigantimax Pokemon can be competitive.

In practice though, some of the G-Max moves are worse than that types Max Equivalent and you would be better off using the regular version instead (Which includes Charizard hilariously enough).

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
You can use the Bottle Caps and Nature Mints to get the IVs and Nature Sorted, then nursery to get Egg Moves, so in theory Gigantimax Pokemon can be competitive.

In practice though, some of the G-Max moves are worse than that types Max Equivalent and you would be better off using the regular version instead (Which includes Charizard hilariously enough).

I've also read that GMax Pokemon aren't even eligible for use in Ranked Battles in the Vs screen. Anybody can confirm? I haven't tried myself.

Luke92

Jan 31, 2019
Man, the catch rates in this game can fuck right off. It really shouldn't take me 15+ balls to catch a fucking Duskull about my Pokemon's level with ~5% health left.

It really makes you not catch Pokemon. Guess I'll finish the story first and then catch stuff. If I still can be bothered that is.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you want to skip breeding there are basically three places you need to grind for in Sw/Sh.

Battle Tower: BP for competetive items, bottle locks and nature mints
Champions Cup: Money to buy vitamins for EV training
Max Raids: Watts for TR's, TR / Exp Candy / Rare Candy / Bottle Caps from battles, high IV mons from the raids

I'll consider the breeding for egg move the same as using a TM.

Serebii I just found a G-Max Centiskorch raid in a den in West Lake Axewell, how is this possible?

Event Gmax mons override the charts and can appear in any den.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly for Catch Rates in this game I wonder if the Catch Rate formula was adjusted to be harder/grindier or if I have just become accustomed to use Quick Balls and Dusk Balls in the other games. What has datamines showed?

I know they sell Quick Balls in the wild area but been staying away from that for my run until the post-game begins.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Man, the catch rates in this game can fuck right off. It really shouldn't take me 15+ balls to catch a fucking Duskull about my Pokemon's level with ~5% health left.

It really makes you not catch Pokemon. Guess I'll finish the story first and then catch stuff. If I still can be bothered that is.
I thought it was just me. I was going around the wild area catching low level Pokemon and spent fucking 12 great balls trying to catch a 1/4 health Oddish. I've honestly had so many issues catching trash Pokemon that I've killed them and left more times than not.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
You can also get money from Max Raids with treasure drops.
If you raid all day, you can probably skip the Champion's Cup

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
On the topic of catch rate, I presume very few people have experienced a rare Gmax raid (no, I don't mean Butterfree / Centiskorch / Drednaw / Sandaconda / Corviknight) so I'll discuss them a bit.

The person who encounters a rare gmax has a 100% catch rate. Every ball will catch every time. Anyone joining the raid... That's a difference story. We have no hard evidence but we're speculating the rate is 1%, which can be increased with special balls: Repeat Ball can increase it to 3.5% for example.

An example: there was a gang of 3 people going at Gmax Lapras for five hours. Not a single person caught it.

Makes my personal rate of 3/19 all the more absurd.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly for Catch Rates in this game I wonder if the Catch Rate formula was adjusted to be harder or if I have just become accustomed to use Quick Balls and Dusk Balls in the other games.

I know they sell Quick Balls in the wild area but been staying away from that for my run until the post-game begins.

apparently they are worse if you are under leveled to the Pokémon from what I've heard. Post game these catch rates have been so generous.

Also the official shiny catching method is interesting but a ton of busy work.

On the topic of catch rate, I presume very few people have experienced a rare Gmax raid (no, I don't mean Butterfree / Centiskorch / Drednaw / Sandaconda / Corviknight) so I'll discuss them a bit.

The person who encounters a rare gmax has a 100% catch rate. Every ball will catch every time. Anyone joining the raid... That's a difference story. We have no hard evidence but we're speculating the rate is 1%, which can be increased with special balls: Repeat Ball can increase it to 3.5% for example.

An example: there was a gang of 3 people going at Gmax Lapras for five hours. Not a single person caught it.

That explains so much

Oct 27, 2017

Geez, that's absurdly low.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
If you want to skip breeding there are basically three places you need to grind for in Sw/Sh.

Battle Tower: BP for competetive items, bottle locks and nature mints
Champions Cup: Money to buy vitamins for EV training
Max Raids: Watts for TR's, TR / Exp Candy / Rare Candy / Bottle Caps from battles, high IV mons from the raids

I'll consider the breeding for egg move the same as using a TM.

Event Gmax mons override the charts and can appear in any den.
But isn't the event just Butterfree, Corviknight and Drednaw?

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
So the Number Battled stat gives a constant boost to shiny rates for that specific species now and there is no chaining involved? Is that right?

Status
Not open for further replies.