• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you part of the...

• Grookey Gang

Votes: 941 31.8%
  • Sobble Squad

Votes: 954 32.3%
  • Scorbunny Team

Votes: 1,063 35.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My friends, I come here to spread the word: Strong Jaw Dracovish

I have bred a competitive one an it hits like a Deoxys-powered truck thanks to Fishious Rend. It's got some decent bulk, a super nice defensive typing and is actually a great candidate for Dynamax. I am blown away with it, and currently flying through the Battle Tower.

Giga Charizard?

*chuckles from his head-tail*
I thought the fossil mons couldn't breed?

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
So after beating it last night, here's my thoughts

The Good:

- The Pokemon designs are some of the best in the series. Really clever ideas like Falinks and the godless abomination fossils.
- The character designs ARE the best in the series. A nice diversity of different ages, races and genders. It was really cool to see an 88 year old gym leader that wasn't a cranky old man.
- The towns a visually striking and very different from the usual design of the series. They feel more than standard JRPG towns, and not collections of specific "hotspots" like Pokemon usually has.
- Fighting in huge stadiums is really hype. I hope that's something that continues, even without dynamaxing
- I enjoyed the story parts about the player and his rivals/friends Hop and Marnie as they do stuff. It felt closer to the Pokemon Anime. These other characters were doing the same stuff as me, it wasn't just me wandering around and every 5 hours I randomly stumble on them and do a battle and not see them for another 5 hours.
- The game is really fun, but most Pokemon games are

The Bad:
- The game is incredibly short. I beat it in <20 hours, and that was with several hours in the Wild Area, going in every house and talking to every NPC and exploring every alternate path on routes. Someone could easily beat it in 15 hours or less if they didn't bother with the Wild Area that much and talking to NPCs
- The game is pretty much the easiest game in the series. If you step off the beaten path at any point, you'll find yourself overleveled. There were times when I was over 10 levels higher than the gym leader, just because I spent like an hour in the Wild Area beforehand. I never even came close to losing a fight. I can even count the number of times a Pokemon was KO'd on one hand.
- The story is nonsensical and feels like they ran out of time/budget for the last few hours of the game and just ended it. It goes nowhere. It means nothing. Everything plot important happens off screen and the player is never told about it or sees it. You catch the big bad skeleton dragon and then do the champion fight and that's the end of the game. There's no build up or anything, it just... happens.
- Any potentially cool scenes in the story happen off screen or during a blackout. "Dynamax Pokemon are attacking the city" but you never see any of it. "Leon is fighting the big bad, go help him" and... we never get to see that happen. The box legends are just like "we're here now to help!" and then disappear as quickly as they arrived. The game builds up this lore about them for the first half of the game, and then suddenly forgets everything about them and they're just bog standard legendary Pokemon.
- Eternatus shows up out of nowhere, but was apparently this big deal Pokemon that has some kind of history or a point, but who knows what that is, the game never actually explains it.
- There wasn't even a reason for this entire story to happen. The game would have been fine as a story of the main character and his buddy/rivals Hop and Marnie as they journey across Galar to become champions. The spectacle and heart of the game are in the gym battles and the tournament, the "story" thrown in about Rose feels more like a bother than actually enhancing the game.
- Joining online raids is cumbersome and basically impossible. The NPCs that fill in for players are more of a burden than a help because they suck and die in one hit.
- Cutting the GTS was a horrible decision that makes completing the dex more inconvenient than it had been since 2006...
- When playing the game, there's always this looming shadow of what isn't in the game, which I feel like takes away from what is in the game. Because if something didn't impress me, I'm left wondering if I'd rather have had that effort spent having Garchomp and Blaziken in the game, rather than some useless story element or event or whatever that doesn't really do anything or mean anything.
- Gigamax forms being limited to only raids. That Corviknight you've used since the first route of the game? Sorry, gotta catch another one late in the game if you want to go Gigamaxed. It encourages you to replace Pokemon you've raised for awhile with new Raid Pokemon, just because they have this power that yours doesn't even if there's no good reason you can't just make an item or an NPC that can give your old Pokemon Giga powers.
- The Gym Challenges go from charming and fun to walking down a hallway fighting easy NPCs. They seemed to have just given up on the last few challenges or ran out of time/budget because there's a very noticeable quality drop. The final gym doesn't even get a unique area, it just re-uses an area from the story from like 10 hours ago.

Yes, I know that makes it look like the game has way more bad than good, but I actually really liked the game. The looming dex cuts and the GTS missing were the biggest issues I had (despite my story ranting) and those two things will always stop this game from being "the best" Pokemon game for me.

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
does it still count as animal cruelty if it's against scientific abominations

Don't worry, after the, er... training, I gave him what it wanted most.

1572998276975.gif

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Just hatched a Shiny Charmander during this downtime, Masuda method no shiny charm took about 42 eggs! I'm freaking ecstatic.

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Kind of an odd question perhaps, but I figure I've got my best chance asking here: Anyone know if there are any Cufant toys, stuff animals, or whatever anywhere at stores or online?

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
My god, reading on Smogon about Dracovish it would seem that it's signature move, Fishious Rend, is in fact considered a Jaw move, therefore being boosted by 50% on top of the previous 100% boost if it hits first. That would be what, a 255 BP attack? I really don't know how attack calculation order works but I am guessing 85BP * 2 and then the x1.5 multiplier for Strong Jaw?

In any case it is the strongest water move ever.

Jambi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My god, reading on Smogon about Dracovish it would seem that it's signature move, Fishious Rend, is in fact considered a Jaw move, therefore being boosted by 50% on top of the previous 100% boost if it hits first. That would be what, a 255 BP attack? I really don't know how attack calculation order works but I am guessing 85BP * 2 and then the x1.5 multiplier for Strong Jaw?

In any case it is the strongest water move ever.
I was looking for you by your avatar because I couldn't remember your name. Thankfully you posted. I managed to get HA Sableye last night and saved one for you. Let me know when you are around to trade

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Any chances of gamefreak adding a hard mode as DLC? I like the new mon designs but had to do a ton of micromanaging with the box to avoid being over leveled.

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
what with the music in
ROSE Tower
?
it never stops even when battling and defeat the people there.
is this a bug?

Last edited:

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just completed the 8th Gym.
Fantastic game so far, story almost done, then excited to get into some raid battles and breeding.

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Are there any items or bonuses for getting to certain milestones in the Pokedex? I thought maybe an assistant would give you items like in the past.

BinaryPork

Oct 31, 2017
I've spent the last few days raiding and messing around in the wild area because I don't want to continue the story after gym 7. This is the first time I've actively disliked a Pokémon game's story, the worst I've ever felt previously was indifference to X/Y's plot.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I just beat the third gym and still haven't really solidified my team. I checked all the leaks and was excited about tons of Pokemon but haven't found any to put on my team. It's actually made the gyms so far pretty tough. I was using a pretty new Arrocuda to beat the fire gym and about half my team was KO'd by the end. I also obsessed a little too much about finding yellow aura Pokemon too early and should've not done that. I would be reasonably happy with a Zigzagoon on my team but didn't catch one since I wanted good stats or something.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
got lucky and had intense sun in the lake of outrage today, so I caught a turtonator! :D

Now I just need Zamazenta and my pokedex is complete

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
I was looking for you by your avatar because I couldn't remember your name. Thankfully you posted. I managed to get HA Sableye last night and saved one for you. Let me know when you are around to trade

God bless you! I can give you a perfect Sigilyph in exchange. I am online now if you are available :)

Status
Not open for further replies.