• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you part of the...

• Grookey Gang

Votes: 941 31.8%
  • Sobble Squad

Votes: 954 32.3%
  • Scorbunny Team

Votes: 1,063 35.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Don't take my word for it, but I think it works like this:

There's a set amount of raids available originally in both parts of the Wild Area. They don't seem to be independent. When you do a raid (either one of yours or someone else's), one of yours disappears, but you won't get a new one until all of yours close. When all close, you get a brand new set.

Are the levels based on the level of the Pokemon in your party? All I have showing is a 4* Dreadmaw that I tried to beat but the NPCs were inept. If I have to beat that to get all new raids, I'm going to be a sad doggo.

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
10 hours in and i've reached the Galar mines and still no gym in sight hah

caught the mole Pokemon from 5th gen and I found Sizzlipede, love the design of the little guy :)

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
The soundtrack is so good, but my anger over the SPOILER battle theme being used for such a flop villain is infinite.

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Speaking of Gigantamax, is it me or are some of them hardly worth it?

Let's say Charizard. Why would you prefer Giga over Dyna? Setting up sun is much more useful than damage over time.
Wait how does dyna vs giga affect this? I thought Gigantamax Pokemon just had access to another move. Do stats raise or abilities change too vs Dyna?

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So many new Pokémon that I love, and there are still some I haven't seen yet!

This Gen is making me feel like a kid again.
Going spoiler-free was the best decision I could have done haha

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, now I only have one non-gmax 5* Butterfree raid showing up in the entire area. WTF is going on with my game? I just want to do some 2-3* ones and they won't reset.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
What they should have done with G-Max forms is have one specific move turn into a G-Max move, like they did for exclusive Z-Moves in Gen 7. Losing out on Max Flare for a glorified Fire Spin is just not worth it for Charizard. They should have made it so Fire Spin becomes Wildfire.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I'm just going to rush the story so I can try high level wild area. Sounds like it shouldn't take too long and I'm not sure I want to stretch it out. I still really need to fill out my team though. My current Pokémon I like are Skwovet and Raboot so I've still got lots of room.

I always start the games thinking I'll try to fill the Pokédex and abandon that by the end.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have around 20 (english) Dittos. I'm thinking about giving some away, but I'm really looking for a non-english Ditto to trade for as well. If anyone can help with that, I'd appreciate it 👍

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I love my little aberration Arctozolt but he feels pretty meh so far. Kinda weak moveset and meh mixed attacker stats. Wondering what I can do with him.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Still kinda sour on the game after the third gym. The visuals promise a large world full of detail and artistry yet the design is basically 20 year old battle mechanics slapped onto a game cut from the same design cloth as FFXIII. While everyone is still rioting in the streets over Dexit, I'm over here whining about how safe and streamlined the whole game/world design is. Apparently this gets way worse after gym four according to folks here 😢.

At least my girlfriend is head over heels in love with the camping mechanics. She thinks it's super cute - and it is.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Are we still limited to 30 boxes?
I suppose with only 400 to 450ish, it's not as restrictive, but I want to go for a complete Formdex.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
here i was talking about being soured on the game, but here i am now about to restart and do another playthrough lmao...

pokemon still got its claws in me...

Still kinda sour on the game after the third gym. The visuals promise a large world full of detail and artistry yet the design is basically 20 year old battle mechanics slapped onto a game cut from the same design cloth as FFXIII. While everyone is still rioting in the streets over Dexit, I'm over here whining about how safe and streamlined the whole game/world design is. Apparently this gets way worse after gym four according to folks here 😢.

At least my girlfriend is head over heels in love with the camping mechanics. She thinks it's super cute - and it is.
this was my biggest issue with the game as well

also that the world feels kind of empty. I wish Pokemon weren't just relegated to the tall grass.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Realizing I might actually be out on the weekend for the first competition and wouldn't be able to compete. Ah well. Shame, the Indeedee, Hawlucha and Excadrill core seemed really strong in the head.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017

They really should have put another year into the game, all told.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
You starting over and we ain't battle once...
you can battle my completely unbalanced nuzlocke team before i restart tonight if you want lol

gotta start over because I cheated during the run 👀 wanna do a true nuzlocke

also...I have to confess, after playing the game, and experiencing the new pokemon in action...I am Grookey Gang folks. Looks way better in battle than Cinderace barring the Pyro Ball move.

Love how Rillaboom beats its drum lol.

Oct 25, 2017
I won't make it past the first round but like ash I will not give up
you can battle my completely unbalanced nuzlocke team before i restart tonight if you want lol

gotta start over because I cheated during the run 👀 wanna do a true nuzlocke

also...I have to confess, after playing the game, and experiencing the new pokemon in action...I am Grookey Gang folks. Looks way better in battle than Cinderace barring the Pyro Ball move.

Love how Rillaboom beats its drum lol.
unbalsnced? Have you seen my team? 5 mons weak to ground 3 weak to fighting lol. Etc. Team trash

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I really like such quirky evo methods, but good grief ... they HAVE to add some sort of info to the game about them. There's trial and error, and there's stuff like this that is impossible to figure out and most likely happening by coincidence/accident.
Are you telling me, that at no point in your trip across the wild area, you didn't think "I just checked my yamask's attack stat for the lulz because attack on ghost Pokémon amirite? But dang I'm so impressed with it reaching over 49, I think I might reward it with a stroll into the dusty bowl and chill under that stone arch of zero relevance to anything rune related and laugh at the roaming hitmonlee's attempts to hi jump kick my ghosty boy......WOAH IT'S EVOLVING, OF COURSE!"

seems like a standard sentiment one would have

Oct 25, 2017
Are you telling me, that at no point in your trip across the wild area, you didn't think "I just checked my yamask's attack stat for the lulz because attack on ghost Pokémon amirite? But dang I'm so impressed with it reaching over 49, I think I might reward it with a stroll into the dusty bowl and chill under that stone arch of zero relevance to anything rune related and laugh at the roaming hitmonlee's attempts to hi jump kick my ghosty boy......WOAH IT'S EVOLVING, OF COURSE!"

Lmfao

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Are the levels based on the level of the Pokemon in your party? All I have showing is a 4* Dreadmaw that I tried to beat but the NPCs were inept. If I have to beat that to get all new raids, I'm going to be a sad doggo.
That drednaw raid SHOULD be replaced af midnight I think

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017

Now, that's not too bad. Guess i was wrong ... i thought you actually had to travel to Stonehenge and walk through a specific of those stone arcs, that most look like Runerigus, while holding your Switch upside down and spinning your character counter-clock-wise.

In all seriousness, i can't believe that there's game designers that come up with this evolution method and think "Yeah it's okay not to have any hint about it in the game!"

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
here i was talking about being soured on the game, but here i am now about to restart and do another playthrough lmao...

pokemon still got its claws in me...

this was my biggest issue with the game as well

also that the world feels kind of empty. I wish Pokemon weren't just relegated to the tall grass.
Honestly, seeing the Pokemon represented on the overworld was actually something that pleasantly surprised me and continues to be awesome. It's the only area of the game I can think of where I look at it and see meaningful improvement to how well realized the world design is. It really helps the Pokemon themselves feel tied to their environment in ways the past titles never could.

But to your point, yes - I do wish that they expanded this slightly and didn't relegate 99% of wild Pokemon to tall grass. It's a bit too literal a take on the "don't go into the tall grass" of prior games 😯.

They really should have put another year into the game, all told.
The problems I have with this game (barring Dexit, which is understandable) seem more tightly coupled with the core design being flawed rather than them not having enough time to develop the individual areas. The linearity of the whole thing is a trend these games have apparently been on for a long time and I think that is 100% intentional on their part. Outside of the core loop of catching/battling, this game's design priorities are completely different than the first 3-5 gens.

ΑGITΩ

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Beat the story and post game plot on sunday. took me roughly 35 hours to complete it. Ive let it sit and after all is said and done. Im not as upset as I was before. But I would still rank it the lowest out of the generations so far. Heres just a few issues I had with the game.

The online interactions are the worse theyve ever been. The appeal of Max Raid battles feel lost, because I can either never find a party or join a party, and the one tine I did form a squad, first guy 1 Hit KOd the thing.
The cutscenes that are a bit more cinematic...they really needed voice acting. It felt like they put a lot of effort in the characters movements, camera angles, tone, but to have a mute character to audible crowd cheers like the very intro of the game, just felt weird.
The wild area leaves a lot to be desired, its like beyond diet BOTW. The game still imposes limits on you that I feel are unnecessary, encountering very strong pokemon but not even giving you the slightest chance of catching it. The games already have a system in place so high powered pokemon wouldnt obey you, this just seems like an extra step backward. I avoided a lot of the wild area like a plague once I found out, I didnt want to chance a Shiny and fail at catching because I couldnt even get the change, have mercy on someone that does.
They add "eye candy" to the wild area like BOTW that makes the explorer types want to go there, like that ruined tower, but theres nothing to interact with, no flavor text or anything like that, its just there.
Of course when online, the wild area runs like butt.
The linearity of Dungeons, theres really not much exploring in them or in routes. A lot of the items they give you seem useless due to it. Never had to use escape rope, whats the point of Repel now when its so easy to avoid pokemon now?
The story was bare, but this is coming from someone who loves Gen 5 as thats my favorite of them, mostly due to story but also other contributing factors.

I will ask, for anyone that actually cares or has theories on this, because its the only lore interest i have currently, given that the game does not, to my playthrough, make any mention of Mega evolutions existing at all, does this imply t
hat SwSh are back in the original Pokemon timeline, or yet another branch?

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Finished the game+postgame(i think) in about 22 hours, caught about 70ish mons. It was definitely rushed in the end but it's the most fun I've had in a pokemon game since Soul Silver or maybe even the original red. Maybe Ultra Moon just left a really bad taste in my mouth.

I think they need to fix how raids work, seems way too hard to get people to join or to find ones to join. Took me forever to realize why wondertrade wasn't working because I hadn't noticed the connect to internet button.

edit: most of the new pokemon designs are fantastic. Probably the highest percentage I've liked since gen 1

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
They add "eye candy" to the wild area like BOTW that makes the explorer types want to go there, like that ruined tower, but theres nothing to interact with, no flavor text or anything like that, its just there.
The ruined tower is just for the dumb double pack bonus dynamax crystal raid for Jangmo-o/Larvitar. It's such a waste.

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
That feeling when you finally have the postgame tools assembled and you start looking at the 400 pool like

6a00d8341c68f553ef01310ff3f483970c-600wi

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just can't catch a few Evoli o_O...they just won't spawn. The same with Ralts.
Anyone here willing to trade me one of each? As long as they are not bottom of the barrel states wise I am happy with anything ^.^"...
I have farfechtd for trade

Status
Not open for further replies.