• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you part of the...

• Grookey Gang

Votes: 941 31.8%
  • Sobble Squad

Votes: 954 32.3%
  • Scorbunny Team

Votes: 1,063 35.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Hi everyone! I've bought the game yesterday and it's my 1st "main" game since Silver on the GBC. Meanwhile I played a lot of PokemonGo which introduced me to the concept of IVs.

Yesterday I was trying to get a Magikarp and found 3 of them which all have different stats when checking the summary. Is that IV related? How do I know If I have a "good" magikarp?

Also, why are some stats highlighted in blue?

Regarding the game itself, there's a lot of new stuff for me which I don't know if it has been introduced in this game or previous ones but for now I'm enjoying it even if it feels too easy to level up the party.
Stats are based on their IVs yes. Blue highlight is for the stat they gain the least amount of and red highlight is for the favored stat, those are determined by their nature. EVs also factor into their stats but its nothing to worry about too much for now.
I have like 80 Rare Candy, 500 Exp Candy L and 200 Exp Candy XL + 400k watt. When I get tired of raids I'm set for the generation.
Holy hell, how much do yoh play each day to get that much stuff. Like if its for 2-3 hours then the post game raid grind doesn't seem too bad.

Deleted member 35653

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I am amazed by the art direction here, both locations and new monsters, exception made for the Wilds, but that seems more like an afterthought, probably they wanted some old monsters but given the world is pretty small (one of my major complaints) they couldn't fit them all, I really don't know. Music is some of the best in series as far as I'm concerned. Gym challenges are definitely fun, not hard but fun, some of the monster can definitely give you an hard time, I even lost in two occasions. Now Dexit, it's not a deal breaker for me but I miss some good designs, especially from my favorite gen, the third (Altaria, Aggron etc.) but I have to admit this way I was more inclined to use Galar Pokémons, my team was 100% regional. I can't help it but follow what other said, if this had more time we will be talking about something else. Potential is definitely there tho.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Never played a Pokemon game, i'm liking it so far, sucks that apparently its so abysmal compared to previous games but I have nothing to compare it to so for me it's just a pretty (I actually think it looks great portable as I dont do docked, its certainly super charming) light jrpg clearly aimed at a younger crowd narratively speaking /shrug

Also I hate Hop and I hope a wooloo eats him.
It is not abysmal, that's pure hyperbole.

The game is very fun, even if it falls short in some areas.

Feel free to post your impressions as you go through the game ;)

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Faith

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Given that I skipped gen 7, quick question about bottle caps. If I used them on a Ditto would it count as it having perfect IV's for breeding purposes?

Also, the Solrock, Eevee and Clefairy AI trainers in raids are there just to troll you, they pretty much never attack.

Rafavert

Oct 31, 2017
Portugal
Given that I skipped gen 7, quick question about bottle caps. If I used them on a Ditto would it count as it having perfect IV's for breeding purposes?

Also, the Solrock, Eevee and Clefairy AI trainers in raids are there just to troll you, they pretty much never attack.

No. The Bottle Caps give "fake" max IVs. Say it's HP IV is 10. If you use the Bottle Cap, the stats will be the same as a Ditto's with 31, but the actual IV is still 10, so it cannot be inherited.

kinda like the new mints for natures. The nature doesn't change, but the stat boosts does.

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
Man raids are too fun, I've spent so much time doing them with friends I've not even come close to beating the game yet. I left off last night with 42 hours played, 203 Pokemon caught and 4 gym badges obtained!

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a new way to imrpove IVs? or only the goold old fashioned breeding?

I cant imagine capturing countless G-Max to get one with good IVs. D:

MicH

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone want to help me take down a 5* Cloyster and/or Weavile raid? The AI is just obnoxiously awful

Faith

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It won't count. Ditto only passes its original IVs.
No. The Bottle Caps give "fake" max IVs. Say it's HP IV is 10. If you use the Bottle Cap, the stats will be the same as a Ditto's with 31, but the actual IV is still 10, so it cannot be inherited.

kinda like the new mints for natures. The nature doesn't change, but the stat boosts does.

Well that sucks, guess I'll have to try my luck and get a 4 max IV Ditto one from a raid at some point, thanks for letting me know!

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
So it seems when you use Gigantamax Meowth (even just in normal form) you unlock a new league card background.

I had it sitting in the PC until now, and the background didn't unlock until I actually used it.

Last edited:

Rafavert

Oct 31, 2017
Portugal
Speaking of Gigantamax, is it me or are some of them hardly worth it?

Let's say Charizard. Why would you prefer Giga over Dyna? Setting up sun is much more useful than damage over time.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I just beat Bea and got my fourth badge. I'm making progress.

My Raboot has already evolved into a Cinderace. The rest of my team is a little more flexible at this moment in time.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Holy hell, how much do yoh play each day to get that much stuff. Like if its for 2-3 hours then the post game raid grind doesn't seem too bad.
Most of my free time since beating the game on Sunday has been raids.

Speaking of Gigantamax, is it me or are some of them hardly worth it?

Let's say Charizard. Why would you prefer Giga over Dyna? Setting up sun is much more useful than damage over time.
Most mons with some exceptions prefer dmax over gmax. Charizard in particular is probs the worst gmax of them all.

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I honestly don't care about Gigantamaxing. If I catch one, that's great. If I don't, it's no big deal.

Once Home is up I'm getting my 6IV Shiny Charizard in there to wreck some shit. Hope we get info on how Home works soon. I was fine paying €5 a year to keep my Pokémon in the cloud, I hope we don't need to add a Switch Online sub to that.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Is there a new way to imrpove IVs? or only the goold old fashioned breeding?

I cant imagine capturing countless G-Max to get one with good IVs. D:
Try doing constant G-Max mons to get good IVs and its Hidden abilities (Looking at you Swift Swim G-Max Dredgnaw and Mirror Armor Corviknight)

I would feel even worse for the shiny hunters too

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My biggest get today was a 5* HA Galar Weezing from a purple raid. Moments like that are the most thrilling grinds have been for a long time in Pokémon.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how good D-Max Mawile would be. It used to be carried by Mega in the past. Steelspike seems like it'd be a good tank buff.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Corgi pokemon

giphy.gif

Rafavert

Oct 31, 2017
Portugal
I wonder how good D-Max Mawile would be. It used to be carried by Mega in the past. Steelspike seems like it's be a good tank buff.

The problem with "anyone can dynamax" is that there's no reason to Dynamax a Mawile when you can Dynamax a much stronger Pokémon. Even if Mawile had a Gmax, unless it had an amazing effect, it would always fall short of a stronger mon with the same HP boost from Dynamax.

Oni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Could somebody PM how many pokemon the gym leaders use without spoiling anything. Just had an awesome match against Nessa where I lost using 3 pokemon and I'd like to keep it this intense throughout.

Planned on using 3 for the first 4 gyms and then 5 for the last 4 but think I'll just match them instead

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Probably a dumb question but how do you know if a Pokemon in a Raid Battle can Gigantimax? Just if it appears Gigantimaxed? What do the special swirly columns of purple light energy for Raid Battles mean?

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Probably a dumb question but how do you know if a Pokemon in a Raid Battle can Gigantimax? Just if it appears Gigantimaxed? What do the special swirly columns of purple light energy for Raid Battles mean?
Apparently the big purple beam is for rarer Pokémon. Hence it shows up less often. Pokémon you obtain from Gigantamax raids can also Gigantamax, always.
The reason they're not the ones showing up on the purple beams is beyond me, though.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What time is considered Dusk? I want a Rainbow Swirl, but I'm still undecided on which version (I wanted to go with blue cause it's my favorite color but I already have Strawberry/Flower Sweets and I think they might offer better contrast).

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Never played a Pokemon. This one a good one to jump in? Never really had interest in it but seeing people discuss it on Discord makes me wanna join in.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think there is. It's easily the craziest evolution method. Crazier than turning your 3DS upside down.

I really like such quirky evo methods, but good grief ... they HAVE to add some sort of info to the game about them. There's trial and error, and there's stuff like this that is impossible to figure out and most likely happening by coincidence/accident.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
So is there any significance to Hunger Switch.
Like what does Hangry mode even do.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Never played a Pokemon. This one a good one to jump in? Never really had interest in it but seeing people discuss it on Discord makes me wanna join in.

It's a perfectly acceptable Pokemon game to jump in on! My wife had never played a Pokemon game until Let's Go Eevee about 3 weeks ago and now she's plowing through Shield while I play through Sword. She's also playing Pokemon Go in her spare time in anticipation for Pokemon bank.

So yes, Pokemon Sword/Shield is a great place to start!

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I have a weird issue in my game where all the dens except one (that I already beat) are dark. I've been playing offline and have only done a few raids. I should have multiple dens spewing light (right?), but the only one that shows up is Dreadmaw. I can't even find the Butterfree one and I definitely haven't done that one yet. Do they reset? I went online and same thing, same one den lit up, and insane lag trying to ride around. Do they reset?
I was on a lot yesterday and the dens were dark the whole time. I just wanted to do some raids last night and there were none.

Rafavert

Oct 31, 2017
Portugal
I have a weird issue in my game where all the dens except one (that I already beat) are dark. I've been playing offline and have only done a few raids. I should have multiple dens spewing light (right?), but the only one that shows up is Dreadmaw. I can't even find the Butterfree one and I definitely haven't done that one yet. Do they reset? I went online and same thing, same one den lit up, and insane lag trying to ride around. Do they reset?
I was on a lot yesterday and the dens were dark the whole time. I just wanted to do some raids last night and there were none.

Don't take my word for it, but I think it works like this:

There's a set amount of raids available originally in both parts of the Wild Area. They don't seem to be independent. When you do a raid (either one of yours or someone else's), one of yours disappears, but you won't get a new one until all of yours close. When all close, you get a brand new set.

Status
Not open for further replies.