• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you part of the...

• Grookey Gang

Votes: 941 31.8%
  • Sobble Squad

Votes: 954 32.3%
  • Scorbunny Team

Votes: 1,063 35.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
The online in this game seems completely broken. Besides the nearly unplayable performance in the wild area, I can never join anyone's raid battles and nobody is joining mine
Yep. Pretty much everything about this game's online is worse than the original 3DS titles. Pretty spectacular.
I do enjoy the raids a ton though, when they work...

Also I simply don't understand why wonder trade is so shit compared to the 3DS games. It takes for fucking ever to trade something. it used to be near instantaneous.

Another thing.. As far as I know there is no voice chat in this game. I want to chat with a buddy, I have to use a different app.The god awful Nintendo online app doesn't even work with this game. In the 3DS games at least you could voice chat during battle.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The online in this game seems completely broken. Besides the nearly unplayable performance in the wild area, I can never join anyone's raid battles and nobody is joining mine
It's because the game doesn't update the stamp list quickly, so you only have old ones there. Turn the game's internet off an on again and you'll be able to join the raids in the new stamps. It's a mess.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
So far we only know that defeating 500 individuals of a species ups the shiny rate for encounters with increased shiny chance, and chaining 25 of them increases the chance of getting said encounter with increased chance.

So basically you roll the dice twice.
First to determine if you get a encounter with increased shiny chance, this can be increased by chaining the same pokemon, but also a tiny bit by how many of a species you exterminated.
Second its the shiny roll itself, which determines if what you encounter is shiny, this can be increased by just gibbing up to 500 of the same species.

Chaining has a much bigger effect than raw murder numbers on the chance to get a "shiny" roll.
But the actual roll that determines if your pokemon is a shiny is only affected by how many pokemon you gibbed(and the shiny charm), with the chain having no effect on that at all.

For the first roll this would be some examples:
If you murder 500 wooloos, your shiny chance on the first wooloo in a chain increase by 100%, but only from 1.5% shiny to 3% shiny.
For your 25th wooloo in a chain, you base chances are 31.5%, but it gets increased to 33% after you gib 500.

For the second roll, so when you already got the shiny roll to proc(aka you hit the 1.5-33% chance from the first roll):

If you are the ultimative luckmonster, and get the shiny roll to proc on your very first wooloo, you then have a 1/2048 chance to get a wooloo.
On the other hand, if you proc the shiny roll on your 501 wooloo, you chances that roll gives you a shiny are now 1/585.1 basically giving you 4 times higher a chance of getting a shiny.

Then we come to the shiny charm.
Shiny charm only affects the second roll, with diminishing returns on how many kills you have.
On if you have the shiny roll on your first wooloo, but somehow had a shiny charm, your chances would go up from 1/2048 to 1/1024, so doubling your chances.
On your 500th wooloo the shiny charm only increases your chances from 1/585.1 to 1/455 giving an effective increase of 28%.

My conclusion on what we know about shiny hunting so far is that if you only want one specific shiny, just defeating 500 of that specimen and then chaining forever gets you a much better chance than spending the time to get all pokemon for the shiny charm.
If you plan on getting multiple shinies, its probably more efficient to just get the charm first.

A short Condensed version of all the blabla i wrote up top:

Chaining 25+ Of a pokemon increases your chance of getting a shiny from 0.0007% to 0.0015%, so essentially doubling , aka 100% increase to your shiny chances.

Defeating 500 of a pokemon increases your chance of getting a shiny from 0.0007% to 0.005% so essentially 7*, or 700% increase you shiny chances.

Of course, combining the two gives you a shiny chance of 0.07 %, an whopping 100* increase over the base chance, or in percentage a 10000% increase.

About Shiny Charm, the increase from it is the same as having defeated 100 of a specimen(with no chain) or having chained 25 pokemon without the increase from defeating.
Thanks for the explanation
Even though I know how shiny chaining works in this game it really isnt working for me lol, I've been shiny chaining Rookidee all weekend and have well over 1000 defeated with no luck

AkiraAkira

Dec 28, 2017
I have a new favorite gym leader and her name is Opal.

Really liking what they did with the gyms this go around. Story so far has been decent by Pokemon standards, although I wish Hop would just buzz off forever. Areas have been pretty for the most part. Feels like the game goes at a really snappy speed, and although I wouldn't mind it if they added more interesting stuff to do and explore in between gym battles, it hasn't felt bad neccesarily. Really, my big complaint involves the wild area and the online component. Feels shoddy and rushed. Would have rather they waited until they were ready to take something like this on and do it right. So far, it's shaping up to be my 2nd to least favorite pokemon game, above X and Y by a couple notches. The new pokemon have been the best part for me. So many great designs.

Also, everyone's talking about Dexit when they should be talking about Bedxit. Worst thing game freak did was remove the ability to creep in other people's beds and sniff up all their body smells. That was my favorite thing to do in Sun and Moon and now it's gone :(

Last edited:

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So far we only know that defeating 500 individuals of a species ups the shiny rate for encounters with increased shiny chance, and chaining 25 of them increases the chance of getting said encounter with increased chance.

So basically you roll the dice twice.
First to determine if you get a encounter with increased shiny chance, this can be increased by chaining the same pokemon, but also a tiny bit by how many of a species you exterminated.
Second its the shiny roll itself, which determines if what you encounter is shiny, this can be increased by just gibbing up to 500 of the same species.

Chaining has a much bigger effect than raw murder numbers on the chance to get a "shiny" roll.
But the actual roll that determines if your pokemon is a shiny is only affected by how many pokemon you gibbed(and the shiny charm), with the chain having no effect on that at all.

For the first roll this would be some examples:
If you murder 500 wooloos, your shiny chance on the first wooloo in a chain increase by 100%, but only from 1.5% shiny to 3% shiny.
For your 25th wooloo in a chain, you base chances are 31.5%, but it gets increased to 33% after you gib 500.

For the second roll, so when you already got the shiny roll to proc(aka you hit the 1.5-33% chance from the first roll):

If you are the ultimative luckmonster, and get the shiny roll to proc on your very first wooloo, you then have a 1/2048 chance to get a wooloo.
On the other hand, if you proc the shiny roll on your 501 wooloo, you chances that roll gives you a shiny are now 1/585.1 basically giving you 4 times higher a chance of getting a shiny.

Then we come to the shiny charm.
Shiny charm only affects the second roll, with diminishing returns on how many kills you have.
On if you have the shiny roll on your first wooloo, but somehow had a shiny charm, your chances would go up from 1/2048 to 1/1024, so doubling your chances.
On your 500th wooloo the shiny charm only increases your chances from 1/585.1 to 1/455 giving an effective increase of 28%.

My conclusion on what we know about shiny hunting so far is that if you only want one specific shiny, just defeating 500 of that specimen and then chaining forever gets you a much better chance than spending the time to get all pokemon for the shiny charm.
If you plan on getting multiple shinies, its probably more efficient to just get the charm first.

A short Condensed version of all the blabla i wrote up top:

Chaining 25+ Of a pokemon increases your chance of getting a shiny from 0.0007% to 0.0015%, so essentially doubling , aka 100% increase to your shiny chances.

Defeating 500 of a pokemon increases your chance of getting a shiny from 0.0007% to 0.005% so essentially 7*, or 700% increase you shiny chances.

Of course, combining the two gives you a shiny chance of 0.07 %, an whopping 100* increase over the base chance, or in percentage a 10000% increase.

About Shiny Charm, the increase from it is the same as having defeated 100 of a specimen(with no chain) or having chained 25 pokemon without the increase from defeating.

Thank you for this. Good info!

Sounds like shiny hunting is better left for postgame I guess.

There are no restrictions right? Like I can go to a Pokémon center in the middle of a chain and it's all good? It seems the only thing that matters is KOs

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm already thinking in my head a good way to balance Dynamax if it's going to be a problem in the competitive (Which looking at the early competitive scene, Gyarados Specifically) would be to make it something you can only use when you are down to your final pokemon in competitive battles. The big issue at the moment is that it just allows you to steam roll at the moment and there isn't a great counterplay to it. That becomes less of an issue when you are using it right at the end of the game and it can be seen as a hype comeback mechanic instead.

(Also looking at what's strong with Dynamax, darn shame Honchkrow didn't make it in. Would have been a great user. I think Blaziken might have been the single most broken Dynamax user though. Speed Boost for plus speed each turn, an attack boost of the max fighting move, then setting up sun with the max fire move? Downright terrifying).

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
Thank you for this. Good info!

Sounds like shiny hunting is better left for postgame I guess.

There are no restrictions right? Like I can go to a Pokémon center in the middle of a chain and it's all good? It seems the only thing that matters is KOs
I think the only thing that we dont know is what breaks the chain, if going to a pokemon centre does break the chain then I've been doing it wrong lol
Running away from encounters most likely doesnt break the chain if Let's Go was anything to go by, but its unclear right now

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I'm already thinking in my head a good way to balance Dynamax if it's going to be a problem in the competitive (Which looking at the early competitive scene, Gyarados Specifically) would be to make it something you can only use when you are down to your final pokemon in competitive battles. The big issue at the moment is that it just allows you to steam roll at the moment and there isn't a great counterplay to it. That becomes less of an issue when you are using it right at the end of the game and it can be seen as a hype comeback mechanic instead.

(Also looking at what's strong with Dynamax, darn shame Honchkrow didn't make it in. Would have been a great user. I think Blaziken might have been the single most broken Dynamax user though. Speed Boost for plus speed each turn, an attack boost of the max fighting move, then setting up sun with the max fire move? Downright terrifying).
Do Dynamax attacks go through Protect ?

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
That is doubly funny, since with how gen 1 is apparently "overrepresented", few people realize that gen was like 1/3 poison type, which made Psychic even more broken than it already was.

To this day almost half of all poison types are from Gen 1.

Since we are talking types, is it just me or are GF actually following through in some way with that crazy "sound type" theory some fans have ?
I picked up several items that boost "sound based" moves, and saw a few abilities that engage with that concept too.
Its not as much as Gamefreak going full Sound Type, but they did bolster the sound based meta a lot. I wouldn't be surprised if VGC does have one or two sets with Toxitricty or Liquid Voice Primarina holding Throat Spray. On this note, I do feel that with how heavily a lot of Pokemon are now bolstered by attribute moves or abilities (Flygon for example now has even more access to bug type moves) that Gamefreak is preparing a huge paradigm shift for Gen 9, perhaps on the level of the Physical/Special split, if not abilities and natures. That is, most of the Pokemon will get a 2nd or 3rd inherent typing. For the sake of ease lets call this a Taxonomy Type. For example, Flygon. Its Dragon/Ground as we know it. Come next gen however, Its Dragon/Ground, but it belongs to the Taxonomy of Bug Types. This means that it gets an almost STAB for Bug Type attacks, while keeping its offensive and defensive properties. Think of it like Steelworker but for everyone, and not as an ability. Or Grapploct, which is pure Fighting. As a sea dwelling Pokemon however, it belongs to the Taxonomy of Water Types and grts a stab for wster type moves. The taxonomies would also work with items for the specific type and perhaps even abilities if they decided to add a 2nd hidden taxonomy ability. I know this sounds crazy and far too complicated but I do think Gamefreak is gearing up for something equally wild.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Randomly caught a shiny Stunky on route 3. Never had a shiny in the past 25 years of playing pokemon lol. crazy

Oct 25, 2017

Why is Gyarados specifically such a problem? Is it Moxie on top of the new tankiness?

SpeedyBlueDude

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Provo, Utah
Are Big Wild Pokemon locked when spawned in? Really want a Female Lapras and not sure if save scumming once I find one can change the gender. Been a Male all 5 times so far.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
Are Big Wild Pokemon locked when spawned in? Really want a Female Lapras and not sure if save scumming once I find one can change the gender. Been a Male all 5 times so far.
Not sure if it's still the case but I'm pretty sure pokemon with the cute charm ability mean you are more likely to encounter pokemon of the opposite gender, that might help

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Do Dynamax attacks go through Protect ?

It's like how Z Moves work and you will take a 1/4 of the regular damage. The only way to avoid damage is to use your own Dynamax and use Max Guard (Which is basically just cancelling out each Dynamax at this point.)

Why is Gyarados specifically such a problem? Is it Moxie on top of the new tankiness?

It's Max Airstream as well, the Flying type Dynamax move, it gives a +1 speed on use. Bounce is the move of choice for it which has a base 130 under Dynamax (and also doesn't take 2 turns to use as well). Max Geyser (The Water Max Moves) sets up rain so it's got an absurdly strong stab with Water after Dynamax runs out. Finally it got Power Whip as a grass coverage move to deal with water type checks like Rotom-Wash.

It also has Earthquake to deal with Electric Types and some of the bigger walls in the game like Toxapex and Aegislash (Ferrothorn is one of the few walls Gyarados can't really deal with and one of the few counters it's got). Though you are running into 4 moves issue where you gotta decide if you want Power Whip or Earthquake.

Oh, and there's Dragon Dance as well to get it going too.

Doesn't that Zapdos and Tapu Koko, some of the bigger checks to it in the past, Aren't in anymore.

Go look at the Sun and Moon analysis of Gyarados, specifically the counters.

Now realise most of them are not problems for it anymore.

You can read more about early impressions on it here.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
People saying Galar is just corridors must have missed a bunch of places lol. That was my biggest fear and it turned out just fine with a couple exceptions only. Cities haven't disappointed either, only Ballonlea and Spikemuth were small, but they were really cool looking at least

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People saying Galar is just corridors must have missed a bunch of places lol. That was my biggest fear and it turned out just fine with a couple exceptions only. Cities haven't disappointed either, only Ballonlea and Spikemuth were small, but they were really cool looking at least
The routes aren't as bad as I expected, I think the only big issue is they're relatively short (something that's been a problem for a while imo, even Gen V felt like a step down here compared to Gen IV), and that alternate paths don't lead to much outside of items.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
Gigantamax Butterfree is pretty good for raid battles with its G-max move giving one of three different status afflictions

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Route 4 (?) is the example they should take imo.

Basically the road between the main city and the 1st Gym was long, diverse and pretty good. You had a mine and wheat fields.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The endgame is so rushed the ending movie contains a mouse cursor in the video lmao.

There's just some things in the game that seem incorrect, like this I found yesterday for example.

trtvYSr.jpg

qpHmvup.jpg

Aren't these the wrong way around? Why is there a Pikachu on the Eevee shirt and an Eevee on the Pikachu one...

I really do think they got the names the wrong way around on these 2.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Route 4 (?) is the example they should take imo.

Basically the road between the main city and the 1st Gym was long, diverse and pretty good. You had a mine and wheat fields.
Route 4, 8 and 9 were all very good.
Route 2 is also pretty good for an early route if you consider the water sections

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's been over a day and my Wild Area still hasn't reset. Is there something you're supposed to do to initiate a reset?

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
It took me 4 hours to catch a Brave Wimpod.

Does the game auto saves when you catch a Pokemon? Also a Pokemon's nature is already determined once it shows up in the environments

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I beat the game and it is, most definitely, an 8/10 game. As a Pokémon game, it's not the strongest, but it does some new things that are pretty great. It serves as a great foundation upon which I hope Game Freak builds future titles. I like the path they're taking and I just hope that from now on they keep making Pokémon games bigger. Story was really poor, though. It made no sense most of the time, wth.

Jacobson

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
anyone tried passing egg moves in daycare without hatching eggs yet? i want to pass egg moves to my shiny

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
2 questions.

Is there no way know where Butterfree and dreadknaws gigantamax raid is? Says there is an event for them or something but after 3 hours or more in the wild lands I've not seen either.

Also do I need to knock out a raid for a new one to spawn?

Status
Not open for further replies.