• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you part of the...

• Grookey Gang

Votes: 941 31.8%
  • Sobble Squad

Votes: 954 32.3%
  • Scorbunny Team

Votes: 1,063 35.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BinaryPork

Oct 31, 2017
While you are technically correct, in the grand scheme of things Gen I mostly treated the Team Rocket stuff as a side story; a roadblock on the way to the ultimate goal. It was a cool way to add a tertiary layer to the game's main quest (a little "world building" in a way), but it was still mostly a means of which to sidetrack the campaign by a bit. In contrast, the further the games went on the more they ended up treating the champion/league aspect of Pokémon as a formality, to the point that they felt non-essential and disposable in Gen 5 and Gen 7. That does make sense when you consider that these games would probably be a bit mundane if the League is all these games had going for them, but it's nice to have a game that - for a change - actually gives the original "roots" of Pokémon the presentation it deserves for a change. In a way it's the closest the games have ever felt to the anime.
I don't know if it really returns to the franchise's roots. The Team Rocket content felt central to the main quest after reaching Celadon City despite blocking progress. Giovanni's role as a gym leader also helped to tie Team Rocket to the main plot. I also think that the league itself was central to gen 7's story since one of the core storylines is crowning Alola's first champion. Other storylines took the spotlight in gen 5, mainly Team Plasma's story in B/W and Team Plasma's return and the recurring three musketeer legendaries in B2/W2, though.

Gen 1's main story didn't even really have any legendary involvement outside of Mewtwo destroying Cinnabar Island's lab in the backstory while the dogs are recurring elements in one of this game's subplots. The dog appearing early in the game feels somewhat similar to ash seeing ho-oh, but the similarities largely end there since he didn't learn anything else about it during his first journey. The tournament formula definitely feels similar to the anime, though, and is a nice change of pace (at least for me).
Are they any kids that actually give a crap about the pokemon amie/refresh/camping stuff?

Honestly seems like a waste of Game Freak's time and resources. I try it like one time every game and then become completely bored by it.
A few kids waiting in line for the game at my local Best Buy were hyped for camp.

I wish game did more with it. Camp gives you so few options that it feels barren despite technically having more content that amie and refresh.

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it is the Affinity Raiser in the game, so if you don't like those affinity buffs like extra exp, surviving lethal hits, shrugging off status and landing additonal crits. You may want to dodge it.

Honestly I don't know why these things are just story mode held items yet. 90% of why I skip Amie stuff is because it would make an already easy game even easier. I'd dabble in it if it wouldn't break the difficulty curve even further.

Edit: Affection, not Affinity. Monster Hunter is on the mind.
Thanks for the reply, I'm staying far away from it, how much more easier do they want the game to be.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Ok after basically wasting all day trying to find Corsola raids to get one with a hidden ability I think I can safely say SWSH are pretty fucking awful at making this even remotely accessible. I miss SOS battles at this point. I don't understand why ability capsules can't be used to change to hidden abilities, but if they're not going to do that, at least they could make hidden ability hunting less impossible. Then to make matters worse, you only get one non-guaranteed shot at even catching one if you come across it.
And you have to worry, in some species case, about getting Gigantamax on top of that if you have a particular strategy in mind. It's so tedious.

I just want my Gigantamax Thick Fat Appletun, Game Freak.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's obviously still early right now, but anyone interested in a battle competition a month or two down the line for the people here?

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Overall good but:

Huge graphical quality program
Cut dex still sucks
Online busted (for now)
Lack of end game content entirely (just as thin as OG Kanto) let alone content in general.

Overall the game is great for the bit it offers you. But honestly the region and game is extremely lacking. This game already desperately needs the third game in the series.
OG Kanto is too far. Battle Tower and Raids add way more playtime than Gen 1 ever had. It's just a matter of how much variety you need.

Personally participating in raids with friends and randos for TRs and Battle Tower is plenty.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the reply, I'm staying far away from it, how much more easier do they want the game to be.

Seriously, the weirdest thing about the game is the wild pokemon fights have been harder than the trainer ones. I got a Wild Pokemon on the route just before the 5th Gym. Had it engage in no fights, just be on the team as I fight through the gym, and it was already the same level as the 5th Gyms Ace Pokemon.

Like, that alone told me that even rotating the team is pointless at this point. Even with rotating pokemon I've become overleveled. HOW.

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
I've got some galarian ponyta if someone would like to trade for a spare farfetch'd.

SW-7462-9772-3314

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, I'm dumb and didn't realize you could flip over the League Cards of NPCs and read their stories. Wtf, they actually have backstory and relationships, yet absolutely none of this comes through in the actual game narrative (although I'm only 3 badges in). But Bede being an orphan and that's why he feel indebted to Rose, or the fact that Nessa and Sonia are friends (although Sonia does mention it offhand once). Or Nessa being the daughter of a fisherman and merchant. Why not have her pre-gym quest involve those in some way?!

Unsurprisingly, Hop and Leon's are as shallow and one dimensional as they appear 🤦🏽‍♂️

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
Battled every trainer in the game so far and caught nearly half the Pokedex and I'm pretty appropriately levelled for the upcoming fight with Bea

gRoRFmx.jpg

CDOehkN.jpg

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
The biggest change in the series for me is finally offering wild pokémon at an appropriate level so it's actually worth battling and capturing them for your team since you're not routinely 5-10 levels above wild pokémon even if you just run around with 99 repels (because otherwise you're finding random battles with severely underpowered wild pokémon that barely give any exp every 5 steps). Even finding stuff 5-10 levels above yours in the appropriate zone of the Wild Area you should be exploring makes it actually enticing, and the exp.share on by default seems to be balanced for the pace the game tries to set for the player.

So, in the end it's no longer a case of "the highest level mons in the victory road are 45, I'm in the high 50s and still need to grind a couple more levels for the Elite 4"

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can we have two separate ones with one not involving evs/Ivs lol. I hate that stuff
I don't know how you avoid values baked into the game like that, but high IV Pokémon are common in raids and EVs should require zero effort now that they removed the stat cap for vitamins. Plus how would we even know what other people did with Those. That said rental teams are a thing so maybe you could get someone else to build a team for you and use the rental codes for the competition

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, I'm dumb and didn't realize you could flip over the League Cards of NPCs and read their stories. Wtf, they actually have backstory and relationships, yet absolutely none of this comes through in the actual game narrative (although I'm only 3 badges in). But Bede being an orphan and that's why he feel indebted to Rose, or the fact that Nessa and Sonia are friends (although Sonia does mention it offhand once). Or Nessa being the daughter of a fisherman and merchant. Why not have her pre-gym quest involve those in some way?!
I mean, honestly, after Sun and Moon, I much prefer this method of learning about the in-game lore of this world.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Spent pretty much all weekend shiny hunting Rookidee, well over 1000 defeated, probably around 1500 but the counter stops at 999 so I'm not sure. Never had this bad luck shiny hunting, its unreal

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, honestly, after Sun and Moon, I much prefer this method of learning about the in-game lore of this world.
I'm not saying they had to be cutscenes, but it's weird for instance Bede is an orphan, but you never see the orphanage he's from (as far as I know), or meet Nessas parents. Things like that. Like we have random NPCs in towns talking inane things when they could be the ones actually delivering the lore and have relationships with the gym leaders and other characters

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Still not found a giga at all. Keep checking all the raid spots. Some pink and some red but they're all dyna still

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Or they could make everyone happy with skippable cutscenes?
That'd be the best and something I'm still upset that US/UM didn't do.
I'm not saying they had to be cutscenes, but it's weird for instance Bede is an orphan, but you never see the orphanage he's from (as far as I know), or meet Nessas parents. Things like that. Like we have random NPCs in towns talking inane things when they could be the ones actually delivering the lore and have relationships with the gym leaders and other characters
That's fair. All I'm saying is I know GameFreak's alternative to exposition is and I cannot find it in my soul to go through that again.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Still not found a giga at all. Keep checking all the raid spots. Some pink and some red but they're all dyna still
Have you looked at other people's raids? Most raids you get will be dynamax raids as a general rule, it's why many of us make it a point to invite others when we find a gmax raid. Also if you do all your active raids a new set will spawn without waiting for the next day

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Have you looked at other people's raids? Most raids you get will be dynamax raids as a general rule, it's why many of us make it a point to invite others when we find a gmax raid. Also if you do all your active raids a new set will spawn without waiting for the next day
Not really sure how to check others raids tbh

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Is there a way to cycle the NPC's that help you in offline raids? The ones that help me are so infuriatingly awful. It's like the very intentionally designed them to be useless to the player to get you to play online. Solrock and Wobbuffet make me want to hurt something. The servers are so terrible and the Wild Area runs at like 2fps that I'd really rather not play online.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh I would've preferred it if they had gigantmaxing baked into the dynamax level ie after dynamax level 8 you can gigamax if the Pokemon has a giga form. Would've been so much better than what it is now

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
How long does weather last in the wild area? I have been trying to get a Growlithe which are only in 2 areas - when it's sunny. It has been raining in both those areas for almost 24 hours now and it's getting ridiculous!

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh I would've preferred it if they had gigantmaxing baked into the dynamax level ie after dynamax level 8 you can gigamax if the Pokemon has a giga form. Would've been so much better than what it is now
The good news is that most g max moves are straight up worse than the dmax versions, or the pokemon who uses it is trash anyways if not

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How long does weather last in the wild area? I have been trying to get a Growlithe which are only in 2 areas - when it's sunny. It has been raining in both those areas for almost 24 hours now and it's getting ridiculous!
I think it lasts one day. You can cheat it by changing the clock though, but that might effect other time based events for a while

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

You are not going to like this, supposably the weathers for each area is fixed for the day and only rotates when it's the next day.

I don't know why either.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Anyone else in awe with how beautiful Ballonlea is? That's how you do a fairy village!
Yeah, it reminds me of something straight out of Ni no Kuni. Maybe even better looking than something from that game.

The world/dungeon design is on point. And Stow-on-side totally had Wild Arms music

If you think I'm making an overly generalized comparison then listen to this

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Checking my Pokedex and it says I caught 102 and seen 143. Which means I've collected just over 1/4th of the entire Galar dex.

Now I'm sure if I were to evolve a lot of the Mons I have in my possession I'd easily put that caught number in the 124 to 130 range. This is with 3 Gym Badges under my belt and just getting to Route 6. I think I'm making decent progress.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Checking my Pokedex and it says I caught 102 and seen 143. Which means I've collected just over 1/4th of the entire Galar dex.

Now I'm sure if I were to evolve a lot of the Mons I have in my possession I'd easily put that caught number in the 124 to 130 range. This is with 3 Gym Badges under my belt and just getting to Route 6. I think I'm making decent progress.
The early parts of dex collecting are always the easiet tbh

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Every time I look at a tree I laugh & think this is the media franchise that makes the most money :P

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017

Jaq'or

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jun 6, 2018
Speaking of Glimwood Tangle, my first Morgrem encounter ended up being shiny!

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
Is there certain weather that is locked in the early game? Five days in and I haven't had Fog or Sandstorm and I got Snowstorm for the first time today.

Status
Not open for further replies.