• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you part of the...

• Grookey Gang

Votes: 941 31.8%
  • Sobble Squad

Votes: 954 32.3%
  • Scorbunny Team

Votes: 1,063 35.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
So I've looked the stats of Zamacenta and Zacian, aka the legendary doggos. Zacian is so broken holy hell.
Zacian is probably still broken but
their Steel forms require a held item

I guess this is to stop issues with Pokémon wandering below or above the ladders and forcing an encounter?
I'm not sure why that would be a bad thing. But even with the premise that it is it's a very brute force solution when you could just have the Pokemon not wander above/below the ladder. Or only freeze the Pokemon, or have them not trigger an encounter.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dual Pack shipped from ShopTo on Royal Mailed Tracked24.

Hopefully should get it in office hours tomorrow.

Timelord19

One Winged Slayer
Aug 21, 2018
Mallorca, Spain
Zacian is probably still broken but
their Steel forms require a held item

I'm not sure why that would be a bad thing. But even with the premise that it is it's a very brute force solution when you could just have the Pokemon not wander above/below the ladder. Or only freeze the Pokemon, or have them not trigger an encounter.

Even with that, without the famous walls of Ubers in Galar, not so many things can check him. Maybe Aegislash or Zamacenta, but if he manages to get a sword dance...oof
[\SPOILER]

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
My copy of Sword just arrived from ShopTo, won't be able to start for a few hours yet until i'm finished with work though.

traillaitor

Jun 10, 2018
Wanted Sword all along. Wanted Sirfetch'd, preferred Sif... but the lure of Tyranitar, GRap and more importantly THAT gen2 galarian form... ahh. Need them.

Nov 3, 2017
2 hours to go until the game releases here in Australia... I'm getting a physical copy after work so I won't be able to play until tomorrow evening 😪

A word of advice for anyone who digitally pre-ordered: This is going to be a huge launch so be prepared for the game to not unlock exactly at midnight. The DRM servers are going to be hammered so be patient!

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested to see how the game is for me. To be completely honest, one could consider me new to the series. Despite having a gameboy the year they came out, Pokemon was never something I ever got into, probably because I considered myself "too old" for it, being a totally cool high school sophomore when it released. I've likely only played a total of five hours across all of the ones I've tried at various points. Point is, I really won't even know what's different or missing, because it's largely all going to be new for me.

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
2 hours to go until the game releases here in Australia... I'm getting a physical copy after work so I won't be able to play until tomorrow evening 😪

A word of advice for anyone who digitally pre-ordered: This is going to be a huge launch so be prepared for the game to not unlock exactly at midnight. The DRM servers are going to be hammered so be patient!

Its often not exactly at midnight, I'll try it always around 5mins after, in 99% of cases it works then. :D Also i like when unlock times are based on Region, and not a single global time. Lets me preorder the game from places where it unlocks early so i can play it during the day instead of waiting until midnight here. :D

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone with the game good to say if Endeavor breaks raids or not? There's a number of moves I think that could break it like Perish Song as well. What are things looking like on those moves?

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Is someone interested in a midnight (CET) launch streaming? I wanna record all my playtrough so I may as well stream it online.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Played for 5 hours, first impressions in spoilers.

What the hell went wrong?

I didn't want to be negative about the game heading in, despite all of the complaints, but it's impossible for me to ignore this games' faults. Visually, it legit looks like an upscaled 3DS game in a lot of places. Textures are bad by last-gen standards. Don't even get me started on how embarrassing these shadows are. Despite the game absolutely not looking demanding at all, it runs at 720p/30 in docked mode and still manages to have framerate dips.

The wild area, so far, is the only truly interesting part of the game. Routes are incredibly short, lack trainers, and the trainers that they do house tend to have 1 or maybe 2 Pokemon in their parties. That doesn't matter though, because if you're actually catching Pokemon you're inevitably going to be many levels above their Pokemon just by the virtue of EXP Share. I'm fine with easy, it's a kids game and I understand that they want everyone to be able to play, but this is absolutely, ridiculously, overtuned. The game constantly hands you healing items like potions and revives, EXP Share overlevels you if you decide to actually engage with the game's early Pokemon variety, and routes are absolutely filled with NPCs that will restore your party's health+PP.

Again - easy is *fine*, but Sw/Sh overcompensates to the point that unless you're rushing through the plot, you're going to be so overleveled that the combat loses any of its depth and it just becomes boring. Then to make matters worse, it seems that the rumors about the game being super short are indeed true. 5 hours in, I hit Route 5, and there's 10 of them in the game, total. My Pokemon are already in their mid 20s. I just don't understand.

On an unrelated note, I don't know who told Serebii Joe that there was a day/night cycle everywhere in the game, but that's demonstrably false. I've been playing starting at 10PM and most of the game's areas have the sun shining. The Wild Area has a proper day/night cycle, but so far that is it.

I want to hope it gets better, but even forgetting "dexit" the game has issues.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised they shipped yours so late. I went Tracked24 too and mine is out for delivery at the moment and I'm due to get it today.
Yeah, not quite sure what's gone on there- I pre-ordered back in July, so it's not like they're under the gun.

Ah well, as long as I have it for the weekend I don't mind too much.

Sutton Dagger

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so bloody excited for them, going in with basically no knowledge of the games and avoiding negativity. My wife and I will be playing a copy each, I'm hoping we can 'catch em all' between us.

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
What are the cons of switching my eshop account to Australia? I know about the empty wallet requirement, but what else?

Once I have downloaded the game in australia, can I switch back to Europe and play normally?

sorakirosaki

Oct 25, 2017

I didn't want to be negative about the game heading in, despite all of the complaints, but it's impossible for me to ignore this games' faults. Visually, it legit looks like an upscaled 3DS game in a lot of places. Textures are bad by last-gen standards. Don't even get me started on how embarrassing these shadows are. Despite the game absolutely not looking demanding at all, it runs at 720p/30 in docked mode and still manages to have framerate dips.

The wild area, so far, is the only truly interesting part of the game. Routes are incredibly short, lack trainers, and the trainers that they do house tend to have 1 or maybe 2 Pokemon in their parties. That doesn't matter though, because if you're actually catching Pokemon you're inevitably going to be many levels above their Pokemon just by the virtue of EXP Share. I'm fine with easy, it's a kids game and I understand that they want everyone to be able to play, but this is absolutely, ridiculously, overtuned. The game constantly hands you healing items like potions and revives, EXP Share overlevels you if you decide to actually engage with the game's early Pokemon variety, and routes are absolutely filled with NPCs that will restore your party's health+PP.

Again - easy is *fine*, but Sw/Sh overcompensates to the point that unless you're rushing through the plot, you're going to be so overleveled that the combat loses any of its depth and it just becomes boring. Then to make matters worse, it seems that the rumors about the game being super short are indeed true. 5 hours in, I hit Route 5, and there's 10 of them in the game, total. My Pokemon are already in their mid 20s. I just don't understand.

On an unrelated note, I don't know who told Serebii Joe that there was a day/night cycle everywhere in the game, but that's demonstrably false. I've been playing starting at 10PM and most of the game's areas have the sun shining. The Wild Area has a proper day/night cycle, but so far that is it.

about day and night
apparently the night and day cycle is kinda of weird where some places get locked to a certain time of day due to being event locked

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
What are the cons of switching my eshop account to Australia? I know about the empty wallet requirement, but what else?

Once I have downloaded the game in australia, can I switch back to Europe and play normally?

You'll lose the gold points if you switch back from the Australian store, but other than that, you should be fine.

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
Mine was meant to arrive today, but Roymail is holding my parcels hostage, have to pay them a visit tomorrow to collect my parcels. :O

Oct 28, 2019

Day/night cycle for the regular locations is unlocked after beating the game.

Shudouken

Jun 19, 2019
You'll lose the gold points if you switch back from the Australian store, but other than that, you should be fine.
Wait, you can switch your e-shop region? Can I still do that if I already bought the game from the German e-shop?
Will I have to buy the game again or can I just re-download it from the Australian e-shop without additonal cost?
If so then please somebody tell me how. I want to play this game ASAP!

Oct 28, 2019
It's weird but can't say I dislike it, at least I get to play the game with it's colourful daylight instead of the drab darkness all the time.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Wait, you can switch your e-shop region? Can I still do that if I already bought the game from the German e-shop?
Will I have to buy the game again or can I just re-download it from the Australian e-shop without additonal cost?

You should have bought it from the Australian eShop if you wanted it to unlock early. If you bought it on the German eShop, you have to wait until it's unlocked in Germany.

MelliiDragon

Oct 27, 2017

As far as i remember the unlock time depends on the eshop you bought it from not the one you downloaded it from. So i think its to late for that if you already bought it in the german one

Shudouken

Jun 19, 2019
You should have bought it from the Australian eShop if you wanted it to unlock early. If you bought it on the German eShop, you have to wait until it's unlocked in Germany.
As far as i remember the unlock time depends on the eshop you bought it from not the one you downloaded it from. So i think its to late for that if you already bought it in the german one
That's a bummer. Next time I'll be smarter.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I actually like that day/night cycle is locked during the story. People who can only play at night get to enjoy daylight during their playthrough, at least.

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

No you wouldnt be needed to buy the game again, you could just download it from the Australian eshop. BUT unlocktime is based on the region you bought it, not the region you downloaded it from. So you'd need to wait until midnight ish in Germany either way.

(thats why i often just buy from Australia, another bonus is, its much cheaper than my home eshop (Switzerland) where pokemon costs like 80USD/70€)

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I actually like that day/night cycle is locked during the story. People who can only play at night get to enjoy daylight during their playthrough, at least.

But if you wanted to do that, you could just adjust the consoles clock...

And what if people playing at night, want the game to look like night?

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
But if you wanted to do that, you could just adjust the consoles clock...

That would mess with timed events where you get locked out for 24ish hours then.
Easiest option would be, if they'd continue going the Sun/Moon route and give you the option ingame to shift the ingame time by 12hrs, so its ingame day during real night, and vice versa.

Jun 2, 2019
In so far the issues of the first hours sounds like your par the course Pokémon game, nothing particularly baffling for me. Business as usual.

This one feels a little strange coming from a studio that has nailed this for quite some time but oh well, it wont kill my enjoyement of the game.

I'll be clear: Mix SuMo with XY and i'll be able to fully enjoy the game. If it offers me that and makes breeding and training enjoyable, this will be my first Switch game to go over 100 hours

Timelord19

One Winged Slayer
Aug 21, 2018
Mallorca, Spain
That's my main problem with this game, it's not lazy game design or whatever, it's the weird choices like this that I don't understand. Really I'd love if they make and interview explaining things like this because maybe they had a good reason but for the love or Arceus I can't even imagine a good reason for things like this.

I'm gonna have fun in the game, and they are going places with the quality of life improvements to things like changing nature. Speaking of which, the berries to reset the EV are still in?

Shudouken

Jun 19, 2019
thats why i often just buy from Australia, another bonus is, its much cheaper than my home eshop (Switzerland) where pokemon costs like 80USD/70€
I used to do so with the Japanese download codes on amazon.co.jp, for example pokemon swsh is just 50€ there. (10€ cheaper)
But they started region locking those codes to Japanese credit cards. And buying gift cards is such a hassle that I just bought it locally.
And usually the different region prepaid cards are sold at a higher price making it more expensive again.
I wish they'd just let me use my local credit card in different regions, like on my imported 3DS.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have any issues with restricting day/night cycles to better tell the story, if that's what they're doing. Far more ambitious games than this have done that- Spider-Man jumps immediately to mind.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah, Shiny Hunters might want to be interested in this lil bit of math.

In brief, not only is there a chain system again (Though it's not certain what increases it at the moment), but the more of a specific pokemon you defeat, the higher the odds of finding a shiny for that specific pokemon.

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wish they'd just let me use my local credit card in different regions, like on my imported 3DS.

Yeah at least my local swiss one works in All NoE countries. Of which all are cheaper than my home country. :D

In brief, not only is there a chain system again (Though it's not certain what increases it at the moment), but the more of a specific pokemon you defeat, the higher the odds of finding a shiny for that specific pokemon.

Already heard some people complain about that, because it makes it easier for casual players to find shinies.

Status
Not open for further replies.