• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BradenAndEggs

Jan 8, 2018
User Warned: Hostility towards other users over a series of posts
Yeah we weren't really aware of how big Dexit was going to be. 400 Pokemon is a joke.

They aren't going to allow for the use of over half the Pokemon from previous generations. That's honestly unacceptable. If you don't want to spend time rebalancing them that's fine. Just limit VGC and Ranked Singles to Galar Dex only.

But for gods sake people have living dexes that they transfer over from game to game, and now you're saying that.

1. You need to buy a Pokemon game for 50% of the additional price as the previous ones.
2. You need an online subscription to trade Pokemon with others online.
3. Pokemon Home, the subscription service that replaced back FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE OF BRINGING OVER POKEMON OF PREVIOUS GAMES will not work with certain Pokemon in Sword and Shield.

And straight up lying and avoiding the scale and the reasons for such a massive cut, then of course you're going to get outrage.

Gamefreak was not prepared to tackle HD development. It's not a 'laxy devs' issue, it's a management issue. Gamefreak upper management was somehow completely unprepared for the Switch, thinking that it would fail, and thus they didn't make the required pipelines of development until it was too late and they were forced to cut in order to make stuff happen in time.

Honestly Nintendo needs to find a way to wrench SOME control of Pokemon Development from Gamefreak. The story of Sword and Shield development isn't a story of 'lazyness', it's misaligned visions and bad faith leading to required cuts that they knew people wouldn't be willing to take, and then the PR team just angered everyone further by the obfuscation and now its all exploding with the leaks.

I "agree!" I too love overreacting to features of a jolly video game series and being part of a months long "outrage" with a vocal minority that totally communicates a "clear" message toward "positive change" for the game! The developers are totally inclined to listen now!

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
40% of the entire pokedex
. Even the more pessimistic were expecting about 70% to make it in, but boy we were all wrong. It also doesn't help how GameFreak has handled it, almost in a smug attitude and reminding everyone in every interview lol. And today another leaker said that
GTS (Global Trading with randoms) was also cut from the game.
So it kinda makes you wonder why they cut so many things from the game yet charge you $20 usd more. Overall the situation is pretty fucked up from all ends. Fans overblowing it, fans looking down on others yet having a hard time to excuse the poor decisions by GameFreak and GF just not handling the PR well.

I'm sorry, but "smug attitude"? They've always been apologetic about it. The last major interview they gave talked about how they needed to be open to criticism, and that it was a hard decision but they felt they made the best one they could. They didn't decry critics, they simply admitted that it was demoralizing and that they had to go a different way.

You can disagree with wether they made the right decision or not, but the last thing they've been about any of this is "smug."

MachGao

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't Japan known about the Dex Cut the same time as we did? Plus do we even have any actual proof that it's because of the National Dex shenanigans or is this just everyone running wild with speculation only? For all we know it could have really been due to operational reasons unrelated to it. If anything I'm just getting the feeling some people want this to be related to the dex for their own reasons.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Sounds like they want to avoid a PR nightmare since the leaks happened. Death threats, where exactly has it been stated that was the reason for their cancellation? Point to where the article says they are canceling it for safety reasons.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
As long as people peacefully protest there is nothing inheriently wrong with people protesting the new pokemon game for cutting the the full dex. Obviously people who would incite violence or send death threats are unacceptable, but most of the critcism I've seen online are people who just hate the decision and are tired of gamefreak's games having the same issues while getting progressively worse.

Way too many bad faith actors in this thread lumping everyone upset with the decision as someone sending death threats. The people at gamefreak who made this decision deserve most of the backlash they've received. In particular gamefreak's pr department should all be fired because they've had a string of had pr dating back to let's go's announcement.

And for the 15th time, death threats and other threats of violence towards devs are unacceptable. Complaining/criticising gamefreak for their decisions with sword/shield is perfectly acceptable.

Counterpoint

No piece of entertainment media is worthy of a street protest over content alone

It would be something else if there were there to call out gamefreak on something like employee abuse/crunch, sexism/racism, or whatever cause thats worthy of such things

That such energy would be put into missing pokemon.... im sorry but this is embarrassing in our current environment

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
developers having to cancel events in fear of their own safety

it shouldn't matter enough that it affects people's actual lives and safety

if they are scared of coming out in public because of fan reaction

So we're just going to run with the narrative that they're doing it out of fear of their own safety even though that was stated nowhere other than a weird attempt to connect it to the horrible KA attack by the writer of the article?

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fucking hell, is it so hard to understand that implementing literal hundreds of Pokemon is a task that grows exponentially in difficulty and cost with every bit of graphical improvement?

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, these kinds of leaks have happened for both of the previous generations. Like they're deciding to cancel because this time there was actual stuff to reveal?
I am not that well versed in Pokemon but from what I have been told, the Pokemon removal was never officially announced in Japan until after the massive leaks happened with that chart of how many Pokemon did not make it.

And since a lot of cut Pokemon are fan favourites with shitload of merch and presence, the response has been...bad.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Sales will definitely affect the next entries if the franchise keeps getting vocal bad reception.
People have been "vocally" complaining since gen 5 though, and sales have basically just gone up a bit and then stagnated again.

The sales argument makes no sense for Pokemon anyway.

The angry "fans" already decided how to interpret them long ago
If the games sell bad its because of the cut and the games being bad.
If the games sell good its despite the cut and the games being bad.

There is no case where the mob wont find a justification to claim they were right.

SWSH could sell 20m copies, more than any generation in the last 19 years, at 50% higher price than any game before, they would just say it "could" have sold even more if whatever.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
people vastly overestimate the effect dexit will have
even on era who is basically 99% hc gamers most don't care:

joe shmo doesn't even have his 3ds anymore, he certainly won't give a shit. if i remember correctly there was a several month gap after release of the last gens until they even allowed you to bring over your old mons. at this point the casual crowd has dropped the game anyway. GF surely has statistics that show them the same.

nat dex will never come back.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the venue, which is an open atrium in a mall, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a security thing, though without more information it's impossible to be sure and is just speculation

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Where on Earth are people getting the idea that Japan didn't know about the cuts?

That seems like a ridiculous idea.

Mzril

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I "agree!" I too love overreacting to features of a jolly video game series and being part of a months long "outrage" with a vocal minority that totally communicates a "clear" message toward "positive change" for the game! The developers are totally inclined to listen now!

You say this, but they are going to backpedal HARD. Hell I agree to an extent that Pokemon need to be cut to fallback to a healthy meta without power creep. That doesn't mean other Pokemon should be unusable everywhere else.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
When someone's only concern is a non serious remark on how they should cut even more Pokémon instead of the real problem? Lol.

On what planet can you possibly determine somebody's only concern is your post? Do you have any idea how ridiculous this is? You are throwing somebody under the bus and accusing them of supporting death threats and harassment based on a post with literally no words in it.

You are acting very foolishly and abrasively. Death threats and harassment are completely awful and unjustified. YOU are the one making joke posts in a thread on this topic and you're now accusing someone of supporting completely heinous behavior because they dared roll their eyes at your joke. You are acting like you're the only one on the right side of this argument and everyone around you must be universally condemned for hellish behavior they are not exhibiting. Conversation becomes impossible when all it takes is an ellipses response to a troll post to apparently be labeled as uncaring about harassment and death threats.

This entire Pokémon cycle has been a goddamn nightmare and while your behavior is not the chief concern it sure as hell doesn't help.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
So we're just going to run with the narrative that they're doing it out of fear of their own safety even though that was stated nowhere other than a weird attempt to connect it to the horrible KA attack by the writer of the article?
There has been outrage since June. Nothing else changed, knowing the number of Pokémon in the game isn't really changing the situation. Why else would they cancel it for?

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
To all of us who don't follow Pokemon news closely... can someone explain or give a link to this #dexit thing??

This is getting weird so I really want to know what is going on.

Around 60% of all the pokemon were cut from SwSh(Basically brings it down to around gen 3 levels of available pokemon). Basically if your favorite pokemon was something like Dragonite or Jigglypuff, then you're out of luck for this game as there is no way of getting them here. People are already upset about that, but it's exacerbated because there isn't anything obvious thus far(to many people's views) that makes it seem like the effort went somewhere else as many of the models and animations look to be reused from previous generations.

Of course, none of this is worth death threats or "lazy dev" rhetoric, but this is the primary reason people are a bit down on the new games.

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
I am not that well versed in Pokemon but from what I have been told, the Pokemon removal was never officially announced in Japan until after the massive leaks happened with that chart of how many Pokemon did not make it.

And since a lot of cut Pokemon are fan favourites with shitload of merch and presence, the response has been...bad.
I mean if you want to get technical, it was never officially announced anywhere. It was just kinda casually mentioned during the E3 demo.

Not saying that in defense of anything, though.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017

Did you deliberately miss the part where I called the reporting irresponsible and that people are running with assumptions? I think Eurogamer is taking a huge flying leap to a conclusion that isn't even supported. That first part of my post was responding to a specific comment that in my reading seemed to be in favor of the possibility that this was what happened.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I can't believe the outrage for a fucking Pokemon game....what is the world coming too.

It's a whimsical KIDS game FFS. Shit is atrocious.

Just don't buy the effing game and move on.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking hell, is it so hard to understand that implementing literal hundreds of Pokemon is a task that grows exponentially in difficulty and cost with every bit of graphical improvement?

Its a resource hog no matter how many armchair engineers come in and try to convince us otherwise

The games legacy will be a growing anchor that the series will be forced to adhere to and stifle its ability to innovate and change.

This should be a common sense realization for any long running series with staples

Sure they bungled the communication hard but it was going to be a nasty situation no matter how they decided to handle it

I can't believe the outrage for a fucking Pokemon game....what is the world coming too.

Echoes of Mass Effect 3

It is the largest media franchise in the world to of course the volume of bad actors would naturally be higher than probably any other fanbase just from sheer numbers alone

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017

The Pokémon removal was never officially announced ANYWHERE in the world. It was mentioned by Masuda during the E3 Treehouse segment.

Where on Earth are people getting the idea that Japan didn't know about the cuts?

That seems like a ridiculous idea.

People are spreading misinformation like always. Japanese people knew about it.

Ashflow

Feb 13, 2018
US
it shouldn't matter enough that it affects people's actual lives and safety

That being said there's some severely irresponsible reporting going on here and assumptions are being treated as facts
Like the assumption that this is even related to "dexit" or death threats? Those kinds of assumptions?

The only threats mentioned in the article were related to the KyoAni tragedy. We don't know whether or not threats were even involved in this cancellation.
I get that it matters to a lot of people, but if they are scared of coming out in public because of fan reaction, maybe it's been a bit overblown.

You can criticize something without making people feel threatened.
Fair, but also see above.

Lusamine

Oct 25, 2017
People are going to tell you Pokémon games should be handled by the largest amount of developers ever to reflect the franchise success as a whole.

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
There has been outrage since June. Nothing else changed, knowing the number of Pokémon in the game isn't really changing the situation. Why else would they cancel it for?

"Operational reasons"

To quote you lot, we don't know all the facts, stop spreading misinformation.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Like the assumption that this is even related to "dexit" or death threats? Those kinds of assumptions?

The only threats mentioned in the article were related to the KyoAni tragedy. We don't know whether or not threats were even involved in this cancellation.

I specifically said in my first post that I was saying this assuming this is really related to the National Dex incident.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017

Yes? Exactly those assumptions. I am agreeing that this is unsupported. Eurogamer is the one being irresponsible. Who else would I mean is doing any "reporting"?

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
On what planet can you possibly determine somebody's only concern is your post? Do you have any idea how ridiculous this is? You are throwing somebody under the bus and accusing them of supporting death threats and harassment based on a post with literally no words in it.

You are acting very foolishly and abrasively. Death threats and harassment are completely awful and unjustified. YOU are the one making joke posts in a thread on this topic and you're now accusing someone of supporting completely heinous behavior because they dared roll their eyes at your joke. You are acting like you're the only one on the right side of this argument and everyone around you must be universally condemned for hellish behavior they are not exhibiting. Conversation becomes impossible when all it takes is an ellipses response to a troll post to apparently be labeled as uncaring about harassment and death threats.

This entire Pokémon cycle has been a goddamn nightmare and while your behavior is not the chief concern it sure as hell doesn't help.
There have been numerous attempts from people to underplay the abuse from protesters since the very beginning. Trying to always make a big deal out of cuts is just another way to deviate the attention from that. I also didn't say it was a joke, I said it wasn't serious. The feeling certainly wasn't to make light of the situation because it really isn't the time for that. It's time to stop putting videogames over people.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
You obviously value the number of virtual creatures in a videogame more than developers receiving abuse and death threats so if you have a problem with my posts too feel free to put me on ignore instead of trying to stir up shit every time.
Wait, Game Freak devs are are receiving abuse and death threats? Over dexit?

I haven't been following the news, so it's quite surprising to me.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Operational reasons covers for things like staff shortage, weather interference, lack of space at a venue, or any sort of last minute issue, including security. So while yes death threats could potentially be the reason, others things could be the issue instead.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

HIRE MORE STAFF!!!

GAMEFREAK TOO SMOL!!!

GIVE TO NINTENDO! THEY WILL DO US RIGHT!

GIMME MA DAMN 900 POKEMON, 10 OF WHICH I WILL USE!

Speaking as a guy with like 95% of Pokemon in PokeBank waiting for Pokemon Home, i'm saddened by not being able to use all the Pokemon, but i'm over it now.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
It's the highest grossing franchise of all time, the audience is bigger than many of you think. So ofc it will be louder, agree on the last point you made tho

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this launch is going to be interesting. most people have no idea how bad the dex situation is and they're already canceling events.

to say nothing about how we're just now discovering that another critical feature is probably missing...

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
It's very doubtful that this is actually linked to Dexit idiotic protesters and the myth that jp fans somehow didn't know about it is obviously false. They knew about it at E3 like the rest of us.

That said I hope they never bring back National dex.
So you want everyone to think of the poor corporation, and for the series to continue declining in quality just to spite the fanbase? Seriously?

If that's what the fanbase wants, then maybe Pokemon does deserve a Sonic 06-level disaster.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
My mind skipped "event" and I thought we are in for legendary shitstorm.

I think Japan is now finding out about cut Pokemon via the western leaks. So now there is massive uproar there, at least my friend tells me so.
Lol, same. I was thinking "but the game already leaked!"

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
people vastly overestimate the effect dexit will have
even on era who is basically 99% hc gamers most don't care:

joe shmo doesn't even have his 3ds anymore, he certainly won't give a shit. if i remember correctly there was a several month gap after release of the last gens until they even allowed you to bring over your old mons. at this point the casual crowd has dropped the game anyway.

nat dex will never come back.

My biggest issue is that it's 2019 and the solution to the problem is simple. Have a small team who's job it is to gaas pokemon into the games via content updates or patches. Sword and Shield already has both raid battles and the wild area which would be perfect for this. Each month a bunch of new pokemon could migrate into the wild area, with legendaries/starters being added to the raid battles. You keep up player retention and please fans of classic pokemon.

If you don't want to do that, have a big patch when the next mainline game comes out (gen 4 remake) to make those two games fully cross compatible. If gen 4 remake also has 400 pokemon that don't overlap with any from sw/sh then 90% of the dex would be available in year 2 of gen 8. Then you dona 3rd version of sword/shield or a sequel/ultra game that adds in the missing pokemon with patches for the older games to make everything fully
Or detail what pokemon home is, show that it's actually a meaningful, beefy game that will let people fully battle, trade, do quest, etc on your phone with all 8 gens of pokemon. Home could be a massive phone app that people would probably be thrilled to pay monthly for like an mmo to play with all their pokemon.

There are solutions to this problem that gamefreak should have been able to get out in front of. The fact they've done none of them after months of backlash is mind blowing. Maybe one of these is the plan and they don't want to undermine sword/shield's launch with "here are future plans so wait for the full dex", but at this point if morale is bad at gamefreak and the backlash never went away, maybe it would have been worth it get out in front of this.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
doubt it tbh. FFXIII was a bad game and the genre fell out of favour a bit.
if Pokemon Sword and Shield are good games or at least on par with the gens before then i don't see any noticable impact on sales. for the vast majority dexit will make absolutely no difference as the amount of pokemon you can catch with your copy is very similiar to the games beforehand.
I thought they'd keep big iconic mons like the starters and some legends, unlike standard regional dexes, because that likely would be enough to make the mainstream overlook the cuts, but considering how they removed them too (likely to be able to advertised their return later) I think the cuts will be noticeable even to a casual audience. That said, they will be, but that's only in the future. Millions likely will buy this game having no idea about the removal of Pokemon or still believing that it will only affect mons they haven't heard about.

What do you mean? The "community" has done such a great job of separating the two. Such a "clear" message toward "positive" change for the game. A response of this magnitude has been totally "comparable" to the game's "issues?"

I'm sure the "criticism" is totally "inspiring" the developer to make better games! We should all feel "great!"

This kind of post is really disingenuous. The "community" isn't an organization following the line of a central commander. Obviously in a large group of people you'll have some lashing out and doing stupid things, but that has nothing to do with everyone else. That's also why you still have many fans defending the game's direction. There are only people here and you can't just split them in arbitrary groups while separating yourself from everything just to split the blame among the ones you dislike.

Status
Not open for further replies.