• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
This is the first time I finished a main Pokemon games since Red & Blue because of the QoL stuffs, despite having bought like 3/4 of the main entries. I can't say I'm displeased with this game, and I thoroughly disagreed that's it's flat out worse than the prior entries, especially due to of QoL improvement alone. And it's pretty neat to see other trainers running around in the wild areas.

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe gen 9 will be more feature rich and have better level/world design since they've had gen 8 as a test run on the switch.

It'll really just be a matter of waiting and seeing if gen 9 is an improvement, it should only take two to three years to find out.

2015: "Maybe OR/AS will be more feature rich and have better level/world design since they've had X/Y as a test run on the 3DS" = NOPE

2016: "Maybe SM will be more feature rich and have better level/world design since they've had X/Y and ORAS as test runs on the 3DS" = NOPE

2017: "Maybe Switchmons will be more feature rich and have better level/world design since they've had X/Y, ORAS, S/M as test runs on the 3DS" = NOPE

And now you're holding your breath on improvements in Gen 9?

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Anything to downplay the success of SWSH huh ?

Its a NPD report, of course its going to be Dollar sales, that is what they report on.

Evil Lucario

Feb 16, 2019
Honestly, the "vote with your wallet" thing some Pokemon fans wanted to drum up with Sword/Shield always amused me, because a lot of people didn't consider the opposite thing already happening with Gen 5, since that is the worst-selling generation ever, even below Gen 3. And that was on the monstrous DS install base.

And I love Gen 5 (second favorite generation), but why would you ever want to make stuff on par with Gen 5 when the future generations sell better on half the install base and $5 more expensive games? The motivation isn't as strong there.

I guess you never know you've got something good until you lose it.

Oct 26, 2017
Literally no fan boycott works lmao

Because gamers are spineless. Even if they complain and cry about something, they end up buying the game (the worst ones are the ones that think buying a game used makes a difference).

It's nothing like fans in other industries who actually stop buying products/services. Case in point, the whole NFL controversy that resulted in significant viewership drops.

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, the "vote with your wallet" thing some Pokemon fans wanted to drum up with Sword/Shield always amused me, because a lot of people didn't consider the opposite thing already happening with Gen 5, since that is the worst-selling generation ever, even below Gen 3. And that was on the monstrous DS install base.

And I love Gen 5 (second favorite generation), but why would you ever want to make stuff on par with Gen 5 when the future generations sell better on half the install base and $5 more expensive games? The motivation isn't as strong there.

I guess you never know you've got something good until you lose it.

Using Gen 5 as an example when the 3DS was already out and the DS library was dwindling?

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
Game has a lot of issues but i like it a lot and got me back on pokemon after a long time. Last game i liked from the series was gen 4(never played black/white games)

3ds pokemon games were so insuferably boring to me, x/y in special made me think i didnt like the series anymore. Glad i was wrong, but i hope they can expand the story and game structure in the future.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I cant say Im shocked. From the outside looking in the game looks phenomenal. Watching people ride their bike around with other trainers sprinting about and shit looks insane.

It's getting pretty damn close to what I imagined the franchise could be if it were a living breathing MMO decades ago when the first ones came out and the anime started.

BinaryPork

Oct 31, 2017
2015: "Maybe OR/AS will be more feature rich and have better level/world design since they've had X/Y as a test run on the 3DS" = NOPE

2016: "Maybe SM will be more feature rich and have better level/world design since they've had X/Y and ORAS as test runs on the 3DS" = NOPE

2017: "Maybe Switchmons will be more feature rich and have better level/world design since they've had X/Y, ORAS, S/M as test runs on the 3DS" = NOPE

And now you're holding your breath on improvements in Gen 9?
I'm not holding my breath and I'm keeping my expectations extra low, even though I hope they'll be better. OR/AS and S/M did feel more feature rich than X/Y to me, outside of regression in online multiplayer in S/M. OR/AS had the benefit of being remakes of an earlier gen, even if it didn't include a lot of Emerald's best content.

Going back to X/Y now really shows how rough those games were (especially visually), even compared to OR/AS.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
Even though the 3DS games seem to be widely derided here, I had a lot of fun with them. They did have some red flags compared to the superior DS games but they took the series forward in a lot of ways and had plenty to love about them for their flaws. SWSH are the first bad (relative to the series as a whole) games Pokemon has ever put out in my opinion from a context of both quality and series advancement. This is just not good news to me - happy that people are enjoying it, but I'm apparently in a minority of players that are really disappointed with this game and kind of mourning the future of the series if this is what people really want.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
I see a lot of Era will be eating crow for the holidays while GF is laughing all the way to the bank again.

It seems like there's so many posts on here these days trying to dunk on straw men. Did anyone on the internet actually expect this game to perform poorly? It was always going to print money because it says Pokémon on the box and the Switch is performing incredibly well sales-wise.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Oof. That's significantly disappointing from this Poke'mon fan's perspective. I thought the games were an overwhelming meh. And will be a distant memory for me in a month. I wish they were so much more.

Jun 17, 2018
One rhetoric I kept reading in the lead up to the Sw/Sh release was "Gamefreak/Nintendo ain't getting any of my money". They seem to have gotten A LOT of money...

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
I mean, they cost double what Red and Blue originally did. I'd like to see unit sales comparisons with other entries.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing the poor online and lack of content will continue being standard for the series. Hopefully this doesn't mean they'll be more willing to cut corners on the main campaign with how rushed the back half of Sw/Sh is and how few reviews mentioned it.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, they cost double what Red and Blue originally did. I'd like to see unit sales comparisons with other entries.
While I don't have numbers, I'd confidently say they had a bigger launch than Red and Blue. As did all Pokemon games. Nintendo said 3 million for November though right? That's the number people should refer to.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah and Sword and Shield had the Wild Area, Raid Battles, and a plethora of QOL additions which make the transition to the game's multiplayer much more seamless and fun
The multiplayer in Sword and Shield is completely atrocious, though. A bunch of it is missing and what is there has borderline unusable matchmaking unless you only want to interact with randoms. Even with randoms, some of it barely works, as it's nearly impossible to get into a raid with a full four human players. Even 3 human players seems pretty uncommon in my experience.

Edit: Also it's only more seamless if we pretend PSS doesn't exist.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Just think of all the money they're going to make once they make you pay for the GTS with Pokémon Home! EVERYBODY WINS

Lugia

Oct 27, 2017
Totally deserves it, easily Best Pokemon gen ever. over 70 hours in, and still having a blast.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
The multiplayer in Sword and Shield is completely atrocious, though. A bunch of it is missing and what is there has borderline unusable matchmaking unless you only want to interact with randoms. Even with randoms, some of it barely works, as it's nearly impossible to get into a raid with a full four human players. Even 3 human players seems pretty uncommon in my experience.

Edit: Also it's only more seamless if we pretend PSS doesn't exist.

Yeah I'm kind of over how poor in quality the games are content wise but I'm still really concerned in general about all these busted ass features and people eating the game up or praising it.

My wife is more patient than me when it comes to games, and she started getting upset at that ridiculous level of trouble we had connecting locally, a lot of these issues are not okay and its actually getting in the way of doing things in the game. It doesn't matter if some people don't care for online or coop play, thats a feature in the game not functioning correctly, its negative period.

It's like if there's a medication that makes many people trip out and see giant spiders chasing them, that's a problem, regardless if I think its fine because it doesn't have that effect on me or I'm not afraid of giant spiders.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
Because gamers are spineless. Even if they complain and cry about something, they end up buying the game (the worst ones are the ones that think buying a game used makes a difference).

It's nothing like fans in other industries who actually stop buying products/services. Case in point, the whole NFL controversy that resulted in significant viewership drops.
I think with a gaming franchise as large as Pokemon, there are a lot of casual fans who don't know of the controversies or just don't care. A significant amount of people who bought SwSh are probably lapsed fans or newcomers to the series.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
So this will only mean that they will double down on dexit, damn.

Guess I'm out.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to gamefreak! I'm sure they worked hard to get this game out. I hope they can recapture the magic of gen 1-5 next time cause this thing was pretty mediocre tho.

Atlantis

Oct 25, 2017
Totally agree with a lot of the issues folks have with these games, but goddamn I am fucking hooked. I haven't played a Pokemon game in many years, so that probably is a lot of why I'm enjoying it. Things like breeding, shiny hunting, building a team, ect. are all new to me. I've joined Discords, followed Reddits...it's nuts.

I really hope they take a hard look at a lot of these online features, though. The fact that things like date changing for raids and weather is so commonplace really speaks of a huge disconnect between what the player base actually wants and what the devs think they'll enjoy. The Y-Comm is a mess and a better version of it could have fixed a lot of these issues. Knowing a better system was already a part of the series is a huge head scratcher.

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
We're never getting a finished Pokemon game ever again, are we?

This exactly. Hope people are happy with mediocrity because with GF its always 2 steps forward and 3 steps back.

I enjoyed my time with the game, but sales =/= how good a game is anyways. I really hope they do better next time.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
People criticize GF for lack of effort. I'm sure they put crazy amount of effort considering they release a game per year.
Money will go in development but money isn't enough without time.
We should criticize Pokemon Company for the yearly releases instead.