• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
So I have both games and play Shield on my Switch and Sword on my Lite. Both Switches are tied to my account. Will the expansion pass work for both games or do I have to buy it twice?

How about if you play both games on the same Switch? Will the expansion pass work under both or does it have to be purchased twice?

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished watching the Direct.

Honestly I think this was the best move they could've played for this year.

It's finally a gap year from the annual Pokemon releases, addresses some of the complaints with Sword & Shield, helps expand the content in the game, etc. I think sticking with Sword & Shield is the right move to regain some of the lost faith this past year, I just hope the new expansions are great.

I'm very glad though that DLC expansions are essentially taking over from 3rd versions now, and that they didn't just jump right to Sinnoh.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The glory days of being able to catch all 1000+ Pokemon in one game. How far GameFreak have fallen.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I don't really see much to champion about the old pokemon being added until they all get added to be honest. Considering every single past game in the series before this one shipped with all the pokemon in them.

Congratulations that they are matching what the previous games already did I guess? Congratulations that they weren't greedy and charged extra to be able to even use them?

I guess I'm torn because even with both expansions we'll still be missing around 250+ of them.
Considering that we started with only 400 I'll take what wins we can get

200+ more is not too bad

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I can't knock GF's hustle. Pokemon fans deserve to get ripped off lol.
No, they don't. Punishing your entire fanbase becuase some of them are obsessed and harrassing devs on social media would be pretty dumb.

I don't think its a hustle either, if its meaty content. I'd rather pay thirty bucks for purely new content rather than a rehash of the previous two games with some differences here and there during the main story.

I was pretty annoyed at the missing pokemon so I'm pretty happy they seemed to have changed course on that when they previously said they wouldn't be adding any back this gen. Not only that but new galarian forms aswell. All in all, seems like a good deal at a distance but we'll see.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
So I have both games and play Shield on my Switch and Sword on my Lite. Both Switches are tied to my account. Will the expansion pass work for both games or do I have to buy it twice?

How about if you play both games on the same Switch? Will the expansion pass work under both or does it have to be purchased twice?
you'll have to buy the pass twice.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA

You have to buy the expansion pass separately for each title. There's a Sword Expansion Pass and a Shield Expansion Pass both sold separately for 30 dollars, but both passes include the two content packs for the respective version.

Shudouken

Jun 19, 2019

You have to buy it twice. The shield expansion pass won't work with the sword version. The e-shop tells you this when you want to pre-order from within the game.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Literally just OG Red and Blue IIRC. Since Gen 2 you've always had to transfer/trade in Mons if you want everything in one game.
No. You always had to trade from previous gens (or remakes).

And funnily enough... even with just red and blue you couldn't just trade with the opposite version. You would need multiple play throughs or trade with more than one person to get all the eeveelutions or starters.
Thanks . Just wanted to prove to someone on my discord that this is par the course and shouldnt be seen as a surprise.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I have a feeling many people complaining haven't played a single Pokémon game before LGPLGE.

you were never able to catch every single pokémon in a single game. You could have them if you traded them, but not catch.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Some assholes on here laughed at me when I suggested they do exactly this, and bring more and more of the missing Pokemon in via DLC. The closed mindedness of the idea, "POKEMON DOESNT DO DLC OR WORK THAT WAY", lol. I wish I could find the post.

This is GREAT.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I am so in! Haven't gotten a chance to watch yet, but will these expansions have new Wild Areas?

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Each of these new areas will surely be a lot larger than the Wild Area, right? The Wild Area by itself isn't really that large.

Also, it doesn't appear there will be any routes at all. Just open space.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
User banned (two weeks): Trolling; history of similar behavior
Y'all can keep bending over backwards to defend this clear shift it's funny as hell

I should just call y'all Serebii lmao

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
I mean they do rebalance from gen to gen. And to their credit this is the most varied the meta's been in a while. Hopefully Garchomp won't ruin that...!

Unless they nerf the genies' stats, it's gonna become....less varied.

Maybe Megas still not being around (and/or the genies not having dyna/gigantomax forms) will help, but we'll see.

Yeah, I agree. I just said this over in the direct thread, but my thoughts are that the decision was re-evaluated after the outcry (which had team morale at an "all-time" low). However, to announce this any earlier would have seemed odd, as there'd be no way to catch them and they'd be exclusively locked behind a yet-to-exist monthly subscription.

That sounds as valid of a premise as anything, but makes me wonder as to what the new 'list' is for returning pokemon - Volcarona, Garchomp, etc...definitely go against their claim of 'game balance' (even if certain moves have been removed)

Now the other remaining question is if they keep up with their current release rate in future content releases (assuming there's an Expansion pass 2 or what have you), and we work our way back up the full roster (minus megas and Z-moves) by D/P remakes, and/or Gen 9

(Also, maybe I missed it, but someone mentioned the Hoenn legendaries - anyone have a pic of them being shown?)

Feb 20, 2019
So wait, the new selection of older mons are obtainable without the pass only if you trade em with a friend who owns the pass? What the fuck is this

They could've made them obtainable in the wild area but nope, here's some annoying as fuck way to get what you want so that you purchase our damn pass

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"blah blah you can trade these pokemon without dlc" bitch I shouldn't have to trade them to get them I should be able to find over 200 pokemon that they're adding in game
Have you ever played a Pokemon game before?

You had to trade/transfer about 180 Pokemon from FireRed/LeafGreen to get a full Pokedex in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald.

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
Tutor Moves that will include completely new moves0. [►]12:48
Some moves are exclusive to the DLC.

IIRC it was something along the lines of 'these expansion pass DLC locations are examples of what we're working on to continually update Sw/Sh'
doubtful since there's more expansions planned after these two
There's a segment that ressembles that saying more things not shown are being worked on.
We can't go into the details of everything but we're working on planning and developing new ways to enjoy Pokémon even as we speak. [►]15:36
But in the japanese direct they make it clear that the segment is about the other stuff that isn't the new areas (new clothing options, new battles and battle modes etc.) that they haven't explained in details yet.

So no, they haven't announced other expansions.

Last edited:

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
My god you're fucking daft they aren't dlc locked but I'm forced to trade over 200 pokemon rather than at most 30-40 like previous games. If I want to catch these guys I need to fork over $30
or you transfer some of them from the older games with Home.
Most of all of these 200 Pokemon will be from older generations (over 90% most likely)
So no you aren't forced to fork over 30 bucks.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So wait, the new selection of older mons are obtainable without the pass only if you trade em with a friend who owns the pass? What the fuck is this

They could've made them obtainable in the wild area but nope, here's some annoying as fuck way to get what you want so that you purchase our damn pass
You can transfer them from Pokemon Home too.

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm more upset because they seemed to be resolved to keep the cut pokemon out before SwSh came out, unless I'm misremembering interviews, only to actually bring them back.

My biggest frustration is that they make no mention actually fixing performance issues within SwSh. Until they do that, I still cant justify paying $60 for an unfinished game, even if the expansion does seem a little promising.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You can also transfer it from your old saves. No Pokemon game has all Pokemon in one gen with the exception of Gen I.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
First, some fans were like, "What?! We can't transfer our Pokemon into SwSh?! Screw GF!"
Now when they'll be able to transfer a ton more, they're like "What?! We can't catch all these Pokemon?! Screw GF!"

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"have you never played pokemon before "

Oh right because precious pokemon games made 200 and more in the future only found in paid dlc

My bad
That...is exactly what they have always done.

All gens in the past 20 years have required purchasing a $30+ additional game or trading with one to get hundreds of the Pokemon not catchable in that generations set of games.

Shudouken

Jun 19, 2019
Each of these new areas will surely be a lot larger than the Wild Area, right? The Wild Area by itself isn't really that large.

Also, it doesn't appear there will be any routes at all. Just open space.
I doubt it, it'll be for the 100 pokemon per DLC.
Even if they were larger it would just be more empty space.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Tbh I was ready to call this gen a wash and just wait for the next one and see if they've learned. But yeah, next best thing would be committing to a release strategy of curated selection in base game -> release paid expansions to fill in all the holes -> skip third game. I'd be 200% down.
Time will tell of course, one thing is clear to me is that they at least listened to fan feedback and acted on it as well.

If the tundra dlc has proper dungeons with exploration I'll be over the moon.