• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Quantza

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
How is this better than having a 3rd version? 3rd version meant that you could either give the first game cart to someone else or sell it. You had the full game and another full game + additions for 80€. They now ask you to pay 90€ for a game less.

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
Landorus_Aight_bro_imma_head_in.gif

nice meta you have there

Just f*ck my meta more daddy

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Shit looks great!

Pros:
- New Regions! That's what I want from expansions.
- the mythical GALAR forms look awesome!
- Free camera all the way through! (?)
- I like the the art direction for these expansions

Cons:
- Are the returning old Pokémon going to be available in the Wild Area for the non-DLC buyers? Otherwise it foes indeed feel like they are selling old Pokémon as part of the DLC, which doesn't feel right.

Overall, I have a very positive impression of all of this. Unfortunately I missed watching the whole of the livestream (and without sound to boot), so I'm waiting for the Direct to be uploaded so I can rewatch it.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
It's their biggest series..the biggest entertainment franchise in the world. If this doesn't deserve its own Direct, nothing does. I think they could have easily made it even longer to be honest.
Usually Directs for a single game or franchise have a lot more content than that, especially when most of it was concept art or vague descriptions. Could have been in a regular direct, or they should have waited longer.
That's my issue. I'm not saying that was shown wasn't good.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Shit looks great!

Pros:

Cons:
- Are the returning old Pokémon going to be available in the Wild Area for the non-DLC buyers? Otherwise it foes indeed feel like they are selling old Pokémon as part of the DLC, which doesn't feel right.

Overall, I have a very positive impression of all of this. Unfortunately I missed watching the whole of the livestream (and without sound to boot), so I'm waiting for the Direct to be uploaded so I can rewatch it.

About the con, i think non-pass-owners can't catch them, but can get them by trade or Home.

so what is this one paid expansion or two separate ones?

Looks like both areas and the other content are in the Expansion Pass, but either version of Sword and Shield have their own. So if you own both games, you need to buy both passes, but the Isle of Armor and the Crown Tundra are both in the Expansion Pass.

Xlad

Oct 19, 2018
Stop the myth. you can't purchase The Isle of armor and The crown tundra separately
so both past 1 and 2 cost 30

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Shit looks great!

Pros:

Cons:

The old Pokemon can be obtained via trades or Home for people without the DLC.

Lightning

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
For people saying "30 to get the old Pokemon back"

Just transfer them in via Home or Trading. You can still get them, but you just can't find them in the wild.

Colocho

Oct 25, 2017
Gamefreak using the missing pokemon as a selling point of the expansion pass, lmao they have no shame.

Jan 29, 2018
Sounds really cool, my wife will be excited.

"It should've been in the base game" complaints about DLC are still baffling after almost 15 years.

Oswen

Oct 25, 2017
Oh the bad thing about no Version 3 is the main plot will never get a fix now.

Well, nothing says it would have been better either with USUM being the last time they tried (which I actually kinda like anyway but still a far cry from the likes of Emerald and Platinum).

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The expansions look super rad, but I hope they don't kill off the third versions. They were awesome

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
So in total, it's going to have cost me £67-77 for a full Pokémon game this time rather than £30-35 like it used to?

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
An interesting direction for the "third version" game. I'm curious to see how they really differ from the main game. They seem to be billed as more post-game areas so I wonder if the game design will reflect that.

As interesting as the expansion pass is, it does feel like they are just piling more on top instead of fixing the game's core issues.
Yeah. I like 3rd versions because they tend to tighten up the campaign with them. Sucks that we'll never see those issues resolved but oh well at least we're getting cool post game stuff

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Dunno if this has been stated (couldn't watch the video) but are the trainers/battles in the expansion pass content all high level post game stuff? Hoping for some decent difficulty.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Shit looks great!

Pros:

Cons:

It looks like some of them will

You could also just transfer them from Pokemon Home or whatever or even get them from trades

I think they handled this relatively well for those who want their pokemon back but dont want to buy the expansion

Selling new pokemon as DLC, there it is.

Uh oh. Another person who didnt bother to watch the video

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾
Well done Gamefreak, I'm impressed that you went through this route. Best of luck to the development team, I hope they give us an entertaining expansion pack.

Should have been in the base game.

There's a different director for these expansion passes, neither would have made it into the base game.

ahah

even separating the DLC passes

I'm all for that if it means that these expansion passes deliver on quality.

OP
OP
Xavi

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Shit looks great!

Pros:

Cons:

For your Con, they won't be avialable but you can trade them using HOME. You don't need to buy the pass to get the 200 pokemon

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If they are allowing the 200 new pokenon to be brough for free i cant criticize GF for that.

And you will be able to trade with those who have the pokemon. For people whose main concern was dexit this seems like a big step.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Definitely a better way to go at it with a third version. Excited, and really hope the exploration focus in Crown Tundra turns out well.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
Curious what the level curve is gonna look like for the two new areas. With the wild area mons getting to level 60 in the post-game that seems like it'll have to be the bottom for Isle of Armor? Meanwhile I got a team at lvl 100 for hypertraining and all that. 😆

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Masuda broke his promise of no DLC and that's both worrying and interesting with what will happen to the franchise.
Will new games have less content at launch because of this? Well if you look at Sword/Shield it already happened...
Yeah I think Gamefreak will feel less pressure to try to cram as much as they can into the base game knowing that they have the DLC option

And that definitely seems to have happened here, though I'm okay with the SwSh base game this time

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
While it does suck that all the new forms (other than the Galarian starter G-Maxes) are Kanto I don't think that means that's all we'll get, we'll probably get reveals for more in the coming months.