• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Seem like the models from Sun/Moon upresed. Got no problem with that but hope they put more work into some of them. Pikachu and some others have a ton of work in them but others kinda eh.

Also!

Do you guys think we will finally get remade gen 1-3 sounds!? I don't need them voice acted but I need them to not sound like gameboy mono audio lol.

We got the Gen 1 through 5 sounds redone in Gen 6 :)

Also, they made these models to be futureproof

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Why hasn't anyone commented on the mechanical platform rising to the rooftop of a building in that CG trailer?

Could this be a sort of a hint about verticality or just a one off area?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Literally the only issue I currently have is that the frame rate looks rough and I thought the frame rate on Doom and Wolfenstein was fine. That and the return of Random battles and other backwards gameplay decisions that Let's Go made improvements on, this is the Code Veronica of Pokémon compared to Let's Go (the RE3 of Pokémon)
Let's go was the Op.Racoon city of pokemon.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When can we expect the Zelda-themed expansion packs Pokémon Master Sword and Pokémon Hylian Shield?

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Why are people shocked that they are using the same models? No one would be crazy enough to redo over 800 models and have to make another 80 or so for the new Pokemon. In fact since they are using the same models but touched up, people should be more positive cause this lets them work on more new Pokemon. I'm confident they will have 100+ new Pokemon, excluding regional variants.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people shocked that they are using the same models? No one would be crazy enough to redo over 800 models and have to make another 80 or so for the new Pokemon. In fact since they are using the same models but touched up, people should be more positive cause this lets them work on more new Pokemon. I'm confident they will have 100+ new Pokemon, excluding regional variants.
Because the Switch has more raw power than the 3DS?

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Because the Switch has more raw power than the 3DS?
Which is why the battles have no stutters, the battle models tanked performance in the 3DS games because of how good they were. This was expected, and to be honest its hyperbole to think this is a bad decision. If they looked low poly, sure, but they look quite excellent and feel in place for the hardware.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
What Galar themed regional variants would people like to see?

An ice type wolf version of Mightyena or Luxray would be cool to see for the snow area. Trying to think of stuff that fits with a UK theme.

Nihilego_Khu

Mar 12, 2018
The official Chinese website says [主角将造访伽勒尔地区的各座"道馆",以成为冠军为目标展开冒险。 ]
It means [You'll visit the various 'Gyms' in the Galar region, starting your adventure and aiming for the title of Champion. ]
But the word Gym has double quotation marks which are always used in Chinese to mean other things rather than the literal and original meaning of the word. Only find them in simplified and traditional Chinese webpages, not for other languages, interesting.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
The models were so intricate that's why the 3DS games ran like ass when there were too many larger/intricate Pokémon on screen. It's why they killed Triple and Rotation battles in Gen 7
You know the New Gimmick symbol makes me think of rotation battles with the spiral theme and 3 dots inside it. What if the gyms are all rotation battles now?

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
The models were so intricate that's why the 3DS games ran like ass when there were too many larger/intricate Pokémon on screen. It's why they killed Triple and Rotation battles in Gen 7

Oh yeah speaking of those, I hope Triples returns, there were a lot of interesting mons like Mega Blastoise that thrived there!

Oct 26, 2017
The official Chinese website says [主角将造访伽勒尔地区的各座"道馆",以成为冠军为目标展开冒险。 ]
It means [You'll visit the various 'Gyms' in the Galar region, starting your adventure and aiming for the title of Champion. ]
But the word Gym has double quotation marks which are always used in Chinese to mean other things rather than the literal and original meaning of the word. Only find them in simplified and traditional Chinese webpages, not for other languages, interesting.

Might be a silly question as I don't know any Chinese, but is it possible this is done to distinguish these from regular old real-world gyms?

Jof

Nov 3, 2017
I'm so sad that there's no hint of improved battle animations. If there was ever a chance to do it, this was it. It looks like it's the same 3 or 4 animations per pokemon. One for physical attacks, one for special attacks, one for getting hit etc.

E2HLL7H.gif

i just hate the way Pikachu slides back and forward again after getting hit. It's super lazy, and you just know that Pokemon are going to be turning on the spot throughout the game with no real physics or weight behind it.

It's 2019 and we're still not any further on from this;

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Which is why the battles have no stutters, the battle models tanked performance in the 3DS games because of how good they were. This was expected, and to be honest its hyperbole to think this is a bad decision. If they looked low poly, sure, but they look quite excellent and feel in place for the hardware.
I don't think they look that detailed. They look fine. I mean, if Pokken can deliver two Pokemon fighting each other in real time, with an online mode, it's not farfetched (ha!) to assume the general public doesn't understand why they can't touch up the models.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Why exactly do people want random encounters to be around still? Why not like Earthbound style? I don't see what having random tall grass encounters adds to the game.

Also baffling Scorbunny is leading the poll and Grookey is last. The starters are not my favorite but at least Grookey is ok.

Because it's way better, and people realized random encounters was one of the few things that added challenge to Pokémon games.

The best solution would have been: 2-3 visible pokémon for each zone just to make this world alive, but the big ones (like Clefairy at Mt Moon for instance) only random encounters.

The problem with Game Freak is that they introduce you new ideas sometimes but if the feedback is negative, then they just throw it in the garbage with the next entry instead of fixing it.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why exactly do people want random encounters to be around still? Why not like Earthbound style? I don't see what having random tall grass encounters adds to the game.

Also baffling Scorbunny is leading the poll and Grookey is last. The starters are not my favorite but at least Grookey is ok.
Multiple reasons, at least in my case. Random encounters have a "surprise" element that just isn't captured by having everything immediately visible on the field. Random encounters are just like presents; you never know what you'll get, whether it's something really good and rare, or something common, or in between, or whatever. Of course, people may disagree on that, and say you can still have that feeling with them visible on the field, and that's fine, but for me, random encounters work better for that and they just never bothered me.

Plus, for stuff like shiny hunting, I feel that having multiple Pokémon visible on the field all at once can easily work against you, as it's so, so easy to not pay attention and miss something, mistaking it as just a normal Pokémon or not seeing it at all with so much ground to cover and the shiny potentially being on any part of the map that's currently loaded. Like, that's something that happened to a streamer I watched: he was just chaining normal Shellder in the Seafoam Islands in Let's Go Pikachu, trying to get one with good IVs and stuff, when a shiny one happened to pass by on the screen. However, because he wasn't looking for it at all, it easily being mistaken for a Magikarp (which is also in the area) when not specifically looking for it, especially with the deep fog in Seafoam Islands water on top of it all, he didn't actually notice it until it despawned and its too late.

With random encounters, that kind of thing at least is never an issue because you only have to worry about the one Pokémon (Doubles Grass and the like aside) at the time, so much, much, much, lower chance of ever being in that kind of situation and having that kind of peace of mind, that I'm not missing something out of the corner of my eye or a different part of the field like what happened to Flare's shiny Shellder is another nice perk of random encounters for me.

Then another part of it was how, at least in Let's Go, on-field encounters were just kinda lifeless. As in, they don't really care about you, other Pokémon, other trainers, or anything. They just show up, run about a bit, and then eventually despawn. And all that is just kinda weird and just takes me out of it, just feeling so much like each Pokémon was isolated in its own little world or something. Now, granted, they could just easily improve on that and make wild Pokémon actually interact with each other a bit and scare each other off or chase each other down and stuff, or something like that. But that's obviously a lot more work to implement something like that, especially for each Pokémon, and so if it's specifically between the Let's Go implementation of visible overworld Pokémon encounters or having random encounters back, I'd personally take random encounters back just to avoid how off-putting and weird that is, especially combined with everything else.

And just more stuff like that. Like, there's other minor stuff, like how because of how Viridian Forest was implement in LGE/LGP and its high encounter rate, it's difficult to entirely avoid Pokémon in there at times without using Repels and if I'm going to be using Repels anyway, I just feel like the game might as well have random encounters at that point, but most of the rest is small stuff like that, at least for me.

In short though, it's definitely more a pro/con thing for me, very similar to discussions like whether or not Pokémon should keep turn-based battles (which I also think it should). Neither's inherently better or worse than the other and each just has certain strengths and weaknesses they each bring to the table, and so it's very easy to come down on either side depending on what combination of pros/cons appeals more to you personally. And for me, that combination of pros/cons leads me more on the side of random encounters, but yeah, that's just my take anyway.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Might be a silly question as I don't know any Chinese, but is it possible this is done to distinguish these from regular old real-world gyms?

That's what I thought as well from my limited knowledge of Chinese, since the 道 part of 道馆 (second character implying "place") comes from "the way" or "the road" as in taoism (teachings of "the way"), so that's maybe why it got the quotation marks.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The surprise aspect of random battles is bogus because its pure time wasting having to watch the transition and then leave every time its not something you care about (which is a great amount of times).

Especially when you're trying to find something with a really low spawn rate and you're just spamming that battle transition - run sequence over and over. Let me listen to the damn music until I see something worthwhile.

Regarding how you dont like how its not believable when they dont interact.... having a world where the only life is hiding in tall grass is a step below that.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I would love it if the stadium gyms and battles worked as an actual league table. Where you would get 3 points for a win and go up and down the table during the story/season. But then you would rarely lose in the old games(?)

Mar 8, 2018
UK
I'm so sad that there's no hint of improved battle animations. If there was ever a chance to do it, this was it. It looks like it's the same 3 or 4 animations per pokemon. One for physical attacks, one for special attacks, one for getting hit etc.

E2HLL7H.gif

i just hate the way Pikachu slides back and forward again after getting hit. It's super lazy, and you just know that Pokemon are going to be turning on the spot throughout the game with no real physics or weight behind it.

It's 2019 and we're still not any further on from this;

I know right? They should definitely take the time to add animations for all 728 moves hitting all 816+ Pokemon! Wouldn't take up a significant amount of time at all...

Nihilego_Khu

Mar 12, 2018
That's what I thought as well from my limited knowledge of Chinese, since the 道 part of 道馆 (second character implying "place") comes from "the way" or "the road" as in taoism (teachings of "the way"), so that's maybe why it got the quotation marks.
Not like that. 道馆 is the translation for gyms in lgpe.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory false equivalencies and previous infractions
Let's go was the Op.Racoon city of pokemon.
Let's go was one of the only decent Pokémon games period. It's only toxic fanboys that whine about how their precious game was taken from them, and made more accessible to the masses. Pokémon fans may as well have worn Make Pokémon Great Again hats with Tiki Torches telling casual players and Pokémon Go fans to stay out of THEIR franchise and demand some kind of wall to keep out filth like me out of their franchise.

Like how dare they make Pokémon more accessible.

I'd probably not even want to play this if it wasn't for Let's Go. Sure maybe there should have been a veterans mode for Let's Go. But it was slick, I enjoyed not battling wild Pokémon and loved the innovation of seeing wild Pokémon, I even enjoyed the clean art style, it got me into Pokémon again. My only huge criticism is that the motion controls should have been optional.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I don't think they look that detailed. They look fine. I mean, if Pokken can deliver two Pokemon fighting each other in real time, with an online mode, it's not farfetched (ha!) to assume the general public doesn't understand why they can't touch up the models.
Those are 20 modes in a fighting game compared to 800+ models in an RPG with over 700+ attacks. Its unrealistic to expect Gamefreak or any company actually to have to program and model unique attack animations for each Pokemon depending on the attack.
Because it's way better, and people realized random encounters was one of the few things that added challenge to Pokémon games.

The best solution would have been: 2-3 visible pokémon for each zone just to make this world alive, but the big ones (like Clefairy at Mt Moon for instance) only random encounters.

The problem with Game Freak is that they introduce you new ideas sometimes but if the feedback is negative, then they just throw it in the garbage with the next entry instead of fixing it.
Yep. If they had Pokedex Percentage factor into Pokemon on the overworld I wouldn't mind, but just straight up overworld encounters just kills what Pokemon is.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Even basic Pokémon had the number of polygons you'd have expected from a PS3 game.

Don't mistake texture and art style for intricacy

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
We need a Scouse Pokémon called 'Calmdown' so it repeating its own names makes perfect sense.

Anuiran

Oct 27, 2017
Hire. More. People.

Sakurai did it with 76 characters.

800 characters is a lot more than 76. Especially the amount of unique moves and what not... yeah... I'm sorry it's not happening, just an insane amount of work. Maybe something a B team can dedicate years too as A team releases games and then maybe in 10 years it will be ready.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Those are 20 modes in a fighting game compared to 800+ models in an RPG with over 700+ attacks. Its unrealistic to expect Gamefreak or any company actually to have to program and model unique attack animations for each Pokemon depending on the attack.
800 characters is a lot more than 76. Especially the amount of unique moves and what not... yeah... I'm sorry it's not happening, just an insane amount of work. Maybe something a B team can dedicate years too as A team releases games and then maybe in 10 years it will be ready.
They won't have to include 800+ models in a single game. They can add them later in the expansion. Most have around 400.

Mar 8, 2018
UK
Hire. More. People.

Sakurai did it with 76 characters.

Each Smash character has about 30+ different moves they can do, and all characters getting hit do not have any special animations for each attack, they're just knocked back or sometimes frozen for a second with a facial animation and then knocked back. Comparing Smash animations to the amount of animations Pokemon would need for each attack and each pokemon is trivial