• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I didn't say I agreed with the Grandia 3 comment, but some of the best looking PS2 games could rival this.

Regardless, it's nowhere even close to PS3, so saying "better than PS2" is not high praise.

The Switch is capable of sprawling open worlds, this having linear routes while still having muddy textures and blocky hills in the distance is a travesty.

Again no they couldn't.

The graphics in these games are certainly not the best the Switch has to offer I agree with that and if we are talking comparisons with PS3 games then Pokemon still has better lighting and shaders but some PS3 games have more detail and more complex geometry. Some PS3 games look better than BotW in some instances so being compared to PS3 is fine. The Switch is only 2-3 times more powerful than the PS3 anyway.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
Like I've said before I really am quite pleased with the graphics, but man, the textures are noticeably low resolution, I'll definitely agree with that.

O0RibhW.png

I honestly don't understand why they made the logo texture on that shirt so low res for example.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Sobble is a great name. Instead of coming up with a Scorbunny analogue like "Splashlizard" or something.. they just came up with a totally novel word that doesn't rely on a pun, but just suits the Pokemon on an aesthetic level. Very well done.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I really just wanted to say...... we really REALLY need a godamn pokemon based on a Valkyrie. X and Y disappointed me to hell when there wasn't one with the norse theme. Sword and shield needs one. PLEASE.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
I don't mind people saying Pokemon can look better or don't like the style but... I love Final Fantasy 12 it's my favorite Final Fantasy and I own it on PS2 still and I can assure you this is not what it looked like on a PS2. It was very very jaggy and kind of blurrry. This is likely emulated or from the zodiac age. Real ff12 on a PS2 looks like:
ZHwmPIW.jpg

fUXA2Qb.jpg

These are the best pictures I could find online outside of booting up my PS2 emulator and throwing my copy in, but this is pretty much how it looks. It looked great for the time, but we shouldn't be rewriting history in this thread lol.
Well, people are saying that the "HD" version looks better.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
These titles seem to be getting a lot of attention compared to Let's Go Pikachu/ Eevee. What makes Sheild and Sword so much more appealing? I'm not really familiar with the Pokémon titles.

This is an entire new generation. New region, new legendary Pokémon, new Pokémon and possibly even regional variations of old 'mons, and possibly new mechanics.

Let's Go was a casualized and streamlined remake of the first Pokémon region (the region that has appeared in most games, so a lot of people were burned out on it) with Pokémon GO's catching mechanics instead of the classic gameplay, it didn't capture the hearts of the hardcore (and even casual!) fans as much as a new region and generarion does.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These titles seem to be getting a lot of attention compared to Let's Go Pikachu/ Eevee. What makes Sheild and Sword so much more appealing? I'm not really familiar with the Pokémon titles.

Let's Go was trying to capture an audience that watched Pokemon anime as children and downloaded a F2P app one summer and then stopped caring about the series again. They had already checked out, and fans of the series had little interest in LG because of how anemic it was in content and long-running staples/mechanics. Not to mention it was like the climax of the desperate, obnoxious, and frequent injection of Gen 1 into the series as a whole in some attempt to bring in the aforementioned audience.

This game, ironically, has broader appeal in being a traditional Pokemon title.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the brand new generation of games. These usually sell better than remake titles as they introduce new Pokémon, a new region and new characters.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
These are new games with new Pokemon and new, worthwhile, content. Let's Go was a dumbed down rehash of old games that removed more features than it added.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh yeah I bet this being Britain that dog like Pokemon you see as a logo is probably like a racing Greyhound.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
again, throwing out the claim linear routes when we have seen ONE trailer. They all werent even linear from what we saw. Give it time.
There's no reason to expect anything more than what we had in Sun/Moon based on what they've shown us.

kBflMMu.png

You've got a route with narrow paths you're being funneled down.

xQpWOz2.png

And a town with ropes and fences everywhere keeping you on the path.

Expecting any larger open areas is just being unreasonably optimistic. They've shown what this game is.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
wow what a controversial divisive game pokemon fans defensive amirite era

unknown.png

It's a bit weird, but I jumped ship the moment I saw random battles and actual variety in gens represented. Will criticize if they keep repeating the same mistakes (mostly post-game and lack of focus on new Pokémon), but for now there's basically nothing to complain and a few good things announced like nothing from Let's Go being in.
I mean I think even the people here that don't like it know they are in the minority.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
It is a brand new generation, and not a remake. Also it returns to the core gameplay of the mainline series, after Lets Go was a departure in many ways, simplifying some core gameplay elements in order to be more accessible and in order to tie into Pokemon Go.

Dec 31, 2018
Let's go were remakes of past games. They didn't offer any new pokemon, and a lot of the features that hard core fans loved were dumbed down. Not to mention it had a pretty bland art style. This game is a return to the core and is the next installment in the series. It means there will be a lot more new pokemon and some new gameplay mechanics that Lets Go didn't have because, in all honestly, it was a spin off and not really a core game.

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really think I'm on to something. Grookey's international names imply a connection to music, and in the trailer it used the rhythm of its taps to regrow a patch of burnt grass. What if its evolved form is a full-on conductor, using sound to create and control flora for the purposes of battle?

I think it's very interesting that we have a Pokemon with a clear connection to sound, and whose powers are linked to its use of sound, when there are consistent rumors of an upcoming sound type. Hmmm

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes but you don't address that the second half of the name is literally just the word "bunny" lol. That more than negates any of the cleverness of the "Scor" part.
The Japanese name is even plainer...Hibunny. Just hi (fire) + bunny.

Actually Charmander (Hitokage), Cyndaquil (Hinoarashi), and Chimchar (Hikozaru) use it too so it's pretty overdone.

Absent Breeze

Oct 25, 2017
wow what a controversial divisive game pokemon fans defensive amirite era

unknown.png
Prob not the metric you'd wanna use considering LGPE (the most controversial games so far) have overwhelmingly positive likes to dislikes as well. Though most of the people singing the praises of SW/SH came into every LG thread and popping off like the games were massive failures that everyone hated lol.

Dec 31, 2018
Maybe this has been discussed, but will the third legendary be? We'll have one that represents a sword, one that represents a shield, and one that represents... Armor? Maybe a horse? What do you guys think?

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I do wonder if this game started development on the 3DS or was it made from the ground up for the Switch. The geometry ain't that complex and those textures are REALLY blurry, but that wouldn't matter on a small screen.

It makes sense remembering that gamefreak didn't really think the Switch was gonna be a big success. Hmm.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I mean I think even the people here that don't like it know they are in the minority.

Minority, perhaps. But it's certainly not limited to this thread. Plenty of people on other sites along with prominent Youtubers (Easy Allies, Arlo, etc) have expressed similar levels of disappointment.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Hopefully they can improve ground textures. They stick out like a sore thumb due to the battle camera zooming really close.
Like I've said before I really am quite pleased with the graphics, but man, the textures are noticeably low resolution, I'll definitely agree with that.

O0RibhW.png

I honestly don't understand why they made the logo texture on that shirt so low res for example.
Almost makes look like a 3DS character in Citra where it wasn't meant to be in HD.

My only issue with visuals are the low textures on a lot of stuff like on the example and especially the ground.

Last edited:

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really think I'm on to something. Grookey's international names imply a connection to music, and in the trailer it used the rhythm of its taps to regrow a patch of burnt grass. What if its evolved form is a full-on conductor, using sound to create and control flora for the purposes of battle?

I think it's very interesting that we have a Pokemon with a clear connection to sound, and whose powers are linked to its use of sound, when there are consistent rumors of an upcoming sound type. Hmmm
That's a good catch...the English name is probably "groove + root + monkey" now that I think about it.

Not sure if Sound-type will happen but that's probably the motif.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Looks like a studio's first 7th gen game...

Which it is.

buuut the next closest comparison doesn't look crazy better either:

yokai-watch-4-tic.png
I don't mind how either game looks, although I think Yo Kai Watch looks better in terms of character and world design, also looks a bit cleaner.

Main thing is You Kai Watch 4 allows you to control the camera, which it very much looks like you can't in Sword and Shield. I can't see a reason why there is no controllable camera for a game like this. I could understand before there wasn't a second stick but now there is

Armite

Mar 30, 2018
Maybe this has been discussed, but will the third legendary be? We'll have one that represents a sword, one that represents a shield, and one that represents... Armor? Maybe a horse? What do you guys think?
With Scotland's national animal being a unicorn, you could have a legendary beast and a stead all rolled into one.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder if this game started development on the 3DS or was it made from the ground up for the Switch. The geometry ain't that complex and those textures are REALLY blurry, but that wouldn't matter on a small screen.

It makes sense remembering that gamefreak didn't really think the Switch was gonna be a big success. Hmm.
It absolutely is from the ground up, or it definitely wouldn't have taken this long.

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
40 million extra dev budget is 40 million less profit... I don't know how you don't understand that. Whatever lol.
You are using that for a REASON why Gamefreak cannot implement higher budget features like that's a hold back for them. Under that reasoning you can argue that the franchise had no reason to ever phase out pixel art or make Pokemon Amie because fans would buy it regardless.