• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't impressed. The look and feel of Let's Go was more appealing to me. A combination of the two would have been great. The starters look a little bland to me.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
y'all remember those starter leaks?

nFZEEyl.jpg

Whoever drew these up, knew.

Seriously the water and fire starters from this look better than the ones in Gen 8 somehow. I still love that water starter! So cute.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Monolith Soft transitioned from Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii to Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Game Freak has no excuse, this is what they do

They kinda do compared to monolith. Xenoblade X took monolith 5 years to make, with only the relatively smaller scope project X zone project in between , which monolith only co developed (alongside banpresto).

gamefreak can't afford to take that length of time off releasing games in the Pokémon series, even if it would result in a better game.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never played a Dragon Quest game so I don't know how they handle encounters, I'm just interested in hearing why people want the old style of encountering a pokémon back. I am all for having traditional wild battles, but I absolutely do think that the Let's Go way of encountering them is the superior one. Roaming pokémon makes the world feel so much more alive and it gives the player a choice of when to start a battle when not to. In my opinion it even made shiny hunting more fun.

I mean, as I said before, I still think the encounters are random as they're randomly popping in and out of the world and spotting a rare or shiny pokémon in the overworld still gave me the same excitement as it would have in previous games.
encounters are not random, and when you initiate a battle, you fight a group of monsters in the overworld

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
Leave it to Pokemon fans to eat each other alive, good god this thread has been quite a show. After sifting and reading pages and pages I have come to the conclusion that grown men ages 23-32 will fight and insult each other over a game.

Some of the posts looks like straight up IGN forums. I even saw a member tell someone to "fuck off"

Maybe we need some moderation in here for cohesiveness.
game-counter-strike-pokemon-target-audience-actual-audience-comparison-fail.jpg

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disappointed with the (lack of) art style, but at least it's a Pokémon game, I guess.

josemirr93

May 20, 2018
I have mixed feelings but well... I have a question for you (I don't know if you talked about it before):

Based on what we saw, do you think we are going to have free camera or not?

I think not, but there is a small light inside me telling me maybe the camera is free...

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
I think it looked pretty promising, but this is with the understanding it's still fairly early in development. I imagine the textures would get tidied up a bit by final release.

Have to admit it is disappointing for them not to take the Let's Go lead on encounters and riding Pokemon (although we can't confirm that isn't possible just yet). I could understand them forgoing it if they were planning to create a much more open, expansive path, but the increment in environmental freedom here doesn't look like that big of a jump.

All-in-all, it's got my attention. Just hope the final polish will really make this the console gen premiere we've been hoping for.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I'm getting ahead of myself but how long was it between the reveal and then the steady drip of new Pokemon reveals for Sun/Moon? I remember following those pretty closely and then imaging different teams I could put together once they'd all been shown off.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
They kinda do compared to monolith. Xenoblade X took monolith 5 years to make, with only the relatively smaller scope project X zone project in between , which monolith only co developed (alongside banpresto).

gamefreak can't afford to take that length of time off releasing games in the Pokémon series, even if it would result in a better game.
I highly doubt this is a problem of time development.

This is just Game Freak.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This looks totally as expected. I'm sure it'll be quite fun. It'll be interesting to see how it compares to Yokai Watch in terms of world building and environments.

I just really fail to understand why people get so excited about new Pokemon, as in, the creatures themselves. Yeah, they can often look really cool, but they're just cosmetic. It's not like in Smash where it's new characters that actually noticeably change how it feels to play the game and what you can do etc. The slow drip feed of new Pokemon for the internet to get excited about is going to be the most boring aspect of these new games.

Guru_Godzilla

Jul 10, 2018
I'm pretty sure its fixed camera you can tell from the trailer its same angle of sun and moon in some areas. Also its not about good angel its about freedom in exploring and not some "scripted area"
I really wouldn't place those two(camera and exploration) into the same category. At least regarding the second half of your reply there will of course be guiding along and scripted blocks. Hopefully less than SM and I think it's a safe bet to say we'll be getting more open and branching routes as well.

Oct 27, 2017
I feel a bit disappointed, I was hoping for something a bit more revolutionary for the big Switch game reveal. More might come later, but that trailer seemed like more of the same.

The trailer literally didn't show a single new feature this gen. It was made to show how the game updated what we currently knew of the series, not to necessarily show anything new. For instance, we know nothing of the whole stadium bit. Maybe it's just a gym, but the player wearing a completely different outfit says otherwise. All we know is it'll have badges + E4 and random battles which isn't much

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Don't even think this will be 1080.

Personally, MK8D, ARMs, BOTW, and Odyssey/Xeno2 in some parts spoiled me in 2017

Not just pokemon, but generally a lot of the games since then haven't looked close enough to that level for my liking.
Though I thought Kirby looked good though despite 30 FPS. But other games can't even touch MK8, BOTW on Wii U tbh.

Vuapol

Oct 25, 2017
y'all remember those starter leaks?

nFZEEyl.jpg

Whoever drew these up, knew.

It still hurts.

If these were legit it'd be the first time I absolutely adored all three starters since D/P/Pt. But they're not.

Not feeling any of these three; definitely going to take time and seeing the evolutions to make my call. None of them are jumping out at me.

Spartacris

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
This looks surprisingly great to me lol. I´m not the biggest Pokemon fan, but this reveal just had me thinking the game looks FUN for some reason. Very appealing.

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
The only thing I'm feeling a little disappointed is the fact that we're back to the usual 8 gym formula.

Sun and Moon did a great job shaking a little the usual status quo.

I hope we get regional variants of old pokémons too.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
What if this is all we got from main-line Zelda titles (locked top down, same fighting style):
v58JWuo.png

And this is all we got from main-line Mario titles (2d platforming):
JpPO7VM.png

I'm sure people would be content and happy, but their evolutions truly helped their franchises reach great heights, it is just a shame GameFreak wont take that risk as well.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure people would be content and happy, but their evolutions truly helped their franchises reach great heights, it is just a shame GameFreak don't take that risk as well.

That's why the whole "just shut up and enjoy these games" is such a disappointing thing to say. Like if developers never evolved, or fans never complained about the direction of their franchise, we'd be getting the same things.

I also wish Game Freak realized that kids aren't the only major demographic anymore. You have young adults - adults playing from Gen I - VI still playing. Pokemon Go showed us that Pokemon has hit a crazy amount of people both young and old. This isn't a kiddie franchise anymore. This is an all-ages franchise.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
DAMN.

That reveal was hot. From my ass, is it me or does this look like Breath of the Wild engine? or its likely the LetsGo engine?

Not sure how i feel about Grookey and Sobble, they seem like they lack some uniqueness. but Sobble gets my vote for my starter!