• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 25, 2017
Do they honestly not have the budget to make a huge title?

Here's a better question: Why do they need to? They've solidified a quality, if imperfect, formula that manages to be the biggest media franchise in the world while still maintaining a relatively humble artistic scope by the standards of best-selling video games. Millions of players around the world tune in every year or two to buy the newest iteration of this series despite, or perhaps because of, its relative lack of ambition. They like what it is, and though I can't claim to know what goes on inside of Game Freak, it appears that the people making these games like what they're making.

So what reason do they have to rock the boat?

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
So many trolls here that we went from

"oh this looks nice!!"

to

"This is a 3DS game, how dare you Game Freak!??!!!" "I guess they don't care"

You're right when you say it could be much better, but it could have been far worse too.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it looks good
You outta your mind:

hrcqkzZ.jpg

This is a home console release in 2019. The textures are unbelievably bad, look at her hat, her jacket, the grass, the background even.

Lord... I don't even understand how it's possible for someone to be satisfied.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm easy to please, but I think Sword and Shield look lovely. :-3

The art style is clean and pleasing to the eye. The more subdued colors of the English countryside and the distinctive architecture give this installment a distinct atmosphere. None of the three starters stand out to me as a new favorite, but that's not a criticism — I actually like all three equally and I'm not sure which one I'd choose if I were to pick only one. (I imagine I'll trade with a friend to acquire all three early on.)

Also, "Pokemon Sword and Shield on Switch" has a nice ring to it. Alliteration!

That leak that got the titles and setting right is exciting. I love the idea of the legendaries being a steel snake and a wooden horse, and of there being Armored Evolutions for Charizard, Mewtwo, Flygon, etc.

Eager to learn more. I imagine the next big update will show us the legendaries on the covers.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
What a cute thing to say in response to an image that suggests otherwise. Really makes you sound grounded, and truly discerning.
I genuinely think it looks better. At least there's grass on the ground instead of just a flat, low res green texture.

I'm sorry if you think otherwise.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
These games look terrible and Game freak are terrible. I'm sick, sick, SICK of how one of the biggest, if not THE biggest, most valued gaming IP's around continues to look, play and feel outdated and low budget. Each entry since X&Y continues to be complete garbage and yet the defense force will defend Game Freak until their last breath.

XY was Shit. Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire were dull, lifeless, half-assed remakes. Sun and Moon were hand holding, linear, Gen 1 pandering, garbage. USUM was a scam. Let's Go was the most obvious cash grab the company has ever done. They were the definition of milking the franchise. Sword and Shield are the most generic names you can come up with and just from the few minutes we've seen of them today, is enough to show you these games continue to be low budget, outdated and will be a borefest. The age of Hardware limitations excuses are over, yet these games look like they belong on 3DS. And we all know how these predictable games will play out and everything else surrounding them:

• Your a dull kid with no personality and no dad that just moved to a small, humble, quiet town in a faraway region!
  • By some crazy situation, you meet Professor Tree and your new BFF and get your starter.
  • Along your journey, you meet bad guy team that wants to take over world/ kill all humans and Pokemon/ have sex with pokemon .
  • After you get the 7th badge, you take on the leader who wants to use the box legendary to somehow help with their lame ass plan.
  • After fighting a million low level grunts, you beat their leader and he/she realizes it wrong to take over world/ kill all humans and Pokemon/ have sex with pokemon.
  • In a test to see your strength, you battle the box legendary.
  • You get the last badge, beat the shit out your pathetic friend rival and take on the elite four with their 4 pokemon/ low level teams.
  • You beat the game and realize there ain't shit else to do.
  • The games will get tons of 8.5, 9/10 review scores with remarks such as " Shield and Sword don't bring a lot new, but are the best pokemon games to date!" Sells 10 million plus copies.
  • The die hards will praise the games as game of the year candidates, while normal people will say the games were not good.
  • Serebii Joe will get angry and the die hards will spend sleepless night coming up with arguments about how these games are actually the most technologically advanced games ever made.
  • November 2020 rolls around and we get Shiny Shield and Shiny Sword.
  • Those games will get tons of 8.5, 9/10 review scores with remarks such as " Shiny Shield and Shiny Sword don't bring a lot new, but are the best pokemon games to date!". Sells 10 million plus copies.
  • Serebii Joe will get angry and the die hards will spend sleepless night coming up with arguments about how these games are actually the most technologically advanced games ever made.
  • Direct in February 2021 shows off Let's go Johto!
  • Series continues to be garbage
I gave up after Sun and Moon. This series will never be great. Go ahead and rip me. Everything I just said is 100% true and you know it.
I'm being embarrassed by others

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Yeah, seeing how people are fine with this shows how well they know their audience.

If sales will be virtaully the same, by bother investing more in development?
Yea I guess so, I believe Pokemon Sun and Moon had about 14 million sales. Which is absolutely great, especially at their budget.

But Pokemon Go was downloaded over 500 million times. I think the audience for Pokemon way out weights the audience of the main-line titles. I think there is a market for a huge new Pokemon title...

But I guess they are the ones making tons of money and I'm not, so I should shut up. Haha.

Here's a better question: Why do they need to? They've solidified a quality, if imperfect, formula that manages to be the biggest media franchise in the world while still maintaining a relatively humble artistic scope by the standards of best-selling video games. Millions of players around the world tune in every year or two to buy the newest iteration of this series despite, or perhaps because of, its relative lack of ambition. They like what it is, and though I can't claim to know what goes on inside of Game Freak, it appears that the people making these games like what they're making.

So what reason do they have to rock the boat?

You are absolutely right. But why is that type of mentality rewarded here? Any other publisher or developer that has this same mind-set, "It's making money I'm not changing" gets absolutely torn apart in the game communities, why does this get a free pass for that?

Why are people confused why people want more out of these titles?

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Usually I like to think I have a pretty positive mindset to upcoming titles and often find people are too reactionary to reveals not meeting their 100% idealised desires.

In this case I'm kinda torn on what we've seen, fortunately it's still early days.
Firstly, while I in no way expected that BotW style shake up that keeps getting thrown about, I will say that I was expecting something that was a bit further from what immediately appears like a nicer and more polished Gen 7.
Whether they would accomplish this small scale shake up by how the title tackled its map structure/progression/wild pokemon, it was quite immediately deflating to me seeing those tell tale signs of iterating on the base of the last 3DS title.
Gen 7 itself I thought was fine mind you, given the 3DS' limitations it was a great jump from Gen 6 which is really the only time I've felt the franchise ever came close to truly dropping the ball (great online implementation aside).
Here Gen 8 gives me the impression of what Gen 5 was to Gen 4, it's taking what was already there and presumably looks to polish the heck out that, which was fine for a same handheld successor but in turn is less exciting when you have the jump from 3DS to Switch here.

Of course it's hard to truly get a read on how the routes will unfurl, the trailer gives snippets of seemingly early routes that mirror the kind of forking paths contained to one route you'd get on the first island of Alola, otherwise we got the most unrevealing views of a cave and snowy valley that give little away, gonna need to see more on this front.

I am bummed out that we don't seem to be getting a refinement of Let's Go style overworld pokemon, while I appreciate it wasn't a perfect system by any means, I very much appreciated being able to see a selection of wild pokemon roaming, to think of the time saved when hunting for a pokemon by simply being able to see three or four pop up in swift succession instead of going through the increasingly tired process of initiating a random battle, seeing it's not what you want, but having to wait and throw your pokemon out anyway only to run, rinse and repeat.
With the greater amount of NPC pokemon dotted about Alola as well as mechanics like the rustling grass/bushes/tree pokemon, I figured we were going to take steps in a more lively direction when they had the better tech to do so.

And as a card carrying member of "Black/White are the best games" club, I'd have been thrilled for another gen of all new pokes but I think that ship has sailed, it would've been nice however to see more of the early route pokemon for this region or a regional variant (though judging by the trailer, my hopes of snowy Noctowl are already dead). Regardless they'll come soon enough, GF like to reveal their entire new pokemon hand these days before release.

I dig the region, partly because I'm English myself, also because of that rural countryside goodness, this is definitely the aspect of the game I'm most intrigued by, it's always fun to see how GF interprets a real world location through a pokemon world lense. I expect gimmick teas at quaint tea shops, with a kettle pokemon.

The starters do leave me pretty dang underwhelmed, anyone whose seen (and actually remembered) my poke posts over the years knows that I grow increasingly perturbed by the overuse of certain species, especially when they can conceptually step on each others toes.
So I am admittedly salty as heck that as far as fire zodiac starter theory goes we jumped right to yet another rabbit pokemon before another sheep/ram, I'm more irked by another monkey starter, another monkey in general and another grass one at that. It just seems redundant, even if I get that so much variance in species means that this primate may well end up very much unlike your previous pig apes/wise orangutans/sun wukong fire edition. In any case though starters are just a few of the overall package, they can still ramp up in uniqueness upon evolving and there's always plenty more new pokemon to come, it's just a bit of a limp start.
Also I know new pokemon aren't connected to their region entirely, but unless Game Freak thinks "monkey world" in Dorset is a big deal over here in blighty I don't quite get WHY.
Though I wasn't expecting the top of my starter podium to change for me in regards to Gen 7 having the golden combo of wrassle cat and sniper owl.

In the end GF didn't actually give us much to chew on, new battle mechanics remain a mystery along with the other pokemon, villain team of football hooligans? who knows! guess they've still got plenty to reveal, I just think if they were gonna give us more than logos they could've taken a step further, ah well.
Right now my hope is that since this does appear quite iterative, then going back to my Gen 4 to Gen 5 comparison, I hope this uses Sun/Moon's solid base to create a damn fine outing that'll give me those Unova feels. Because if there's one thing I can draw from them not rocking the boat much it's that it gives us a greater chance that the game is more well rounded and not content lacking.

(Cripes, I said more than I expected, why is it always so much easier to gripe than it is to praise? well anyway I'm hoping this offers a more measured take on why one who doesn't expect a radical overhaul can still be kinda underwhelmed with what we've seen thus far)

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
It's almost as if simplicity in design and structure is a key part of the franchise in order to maintain popularity and interest among younger audiences who are new to gaming.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Other JRPGs have enemies attack you. Not walk around in circles. What they did last year wasn't a solution, it was stupid.

This. At least I hope they got the memo that constantly taking control out of the players' hands and assaulting them with walls of text in lieu of "making a less frustrating experience for inexperienced players" in fact has the completely opposite effect since you're not letting them just play the god damned game at their own pace and discovering the necessary stuff on their own, while also pissing off anybody that has ever played any other [pokémon] game ever.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The crazy part is that even the most cherry picked screenshot of BotW looks better than a shot from a trailer designed to show off the new games.

That cherry picked screenshot of BOTW, an open world game, looks better than the pkmn screenshot in a restricted environment scenario with 2D backgrounds.

Cool, BotW was in development for 5 years, had multiple delays (something which Pokemon games can't really have), had the full force of Nintendo behind it with more staff + Monolith soft helping out.

BotW still had plenty of issues graphically too. It didn't have a good variety of enemy designs, there was so much fog, textures were missing or completely flat and the game chugged at around 20fps at launch in even the starter area. (I'm saying this with BotW being my favorite game of the generation too).

Game Freak have been developing for low powered handhelds for most of their games. Let's Go probably started out as a 3DS game so this is their first real console Pokemon game so they are still trying to find their feet with the how to harness the extra power of the Switch while making a great game and sticking to the strict budget/deadlines they are given.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Textures are only decent with the far off camera they use, but then they decide to do tons of close up shots which makes everything look generations behind in fidelity.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Not gonna lie, it looks pretty decent to me. Still way behind Yokai Watch 4 and DQXI, but it's a good improvement over lets go, IMO.

Oswen

Oct 25, 2017
Let's start with starters and their possible final types, for me it goes:

Grookey - Grass/Dark because it is said to be mischievous.
Scorbunny - Fire/Electric because it's always full of energy ad also soccer and energizer bunnies.
Sobble - Water/Ghost because it is very shy and "disappears".

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It's almost as if simplicity in design and structure is a key part of the franchise in order to maintain popularity and interest among younger audiences who are new to gaming.
Do not dare to use logic or pretend that there are more people who buy Pokémon than thirty-somethings posting on forums.

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You outta your mind:

hrcqkzZ.jpg

This is a home console release in 2019. The textures are unbelievably bad, look at her hat, her jacket, the grass, the background even.

Well yeah if you screen capture a compressed youtube video.

vlcsnap-2019-02-27-14h16m40s326-1551277230523.png

Nilaul

Oct 26, 2017
Greece
The developers were apparently nervous about this reveal, they worked hard, and they were really hoping to please the fans, yet they somehow did not do anything from that big wishlist of what fans actually wanted?

Oct 27, 2017
Peru

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Since random encounters are back, I wonder if the "slowness" of the battle system will return as well. In X/Y and Sun/Moon, it would take 12 seconds from encountering a wild Pokemon, having the music play, having the Pokemon appear, throwing out your Pokemon, and then finally being able to attack or do something. About 12 seconds.

Gamexplain in their predictions video talked about how the "connective tissue" of the games, such as the glacial encounter/battle system, needs to be cleaned up. It's going to be interesting to see if changes are made there.

Feb 12, 2019
It looks like a Pokemon game alright. Not sure what some of you were expecting from one of the most conservative franchises in video games.

For my part, I imagine this is going to go the same way for me as it did with Sun/Moon: I start incredibly excited and ready to make an awesome pokemon team, only to lose steam entirely by hour 20 because these games are still intended for children. I'd love to be proven wrong, because I still have a lot of affinity for these games and like the competitive aspects in theory, but man is the grind to get to that point the most mindless thing imaginable. Maybe if I do get it, I'll do a Nuzlocke or something.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, it's a bummer. But people will praise it anyways. Yet when the end of the year comes, it won't be winning any awards. Except maybe RPG of the year. I just want a Poke'mon title that is high enough in quality to compete for GOTY. It will probably never happen.
It won't even win RPG of the year overall

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
You do realize those screenshots from Pokémon are zoomed in on the Pokéball right??? I just can't with you people sometimes
Dude, I get you, truly. I get that it isn't a big deal and the games aren't done, but those ground textures look like absolute dog shit.
You outta your mind:

hrcqkzZ.jpg

Yo, for real. Someone screen cap the shoulder shot from dude walking into the stadium. The logo on his shirt looks like it's been censored due to copyright.

I'm way excited for this game. I will play the shit out of it. It's not done and things can change, but they choose to show off a game full of horrible textures and it's fine to point out how shitty it looks.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Based on the colors of sword shield and the non-present wand (or gun you ridiculous maniacs)

Final Scorbunny - High spd and def
Final Grookey - High Spc Atk and Spc Def
Final Sobble - High Atk and HP

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
You outta your mind:

hrcqkzZ.jpg

What's up with her arm? Arms aren't supposed to bend like that.

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Gamefreak fans never change. Using the straw man of "BOTW Pokemon" to handwave away criticism and paint critics as unrealistic.

Is a free camera, open routes, and a bit more freedom too much to ask for? Is asking that a major game in the biggest multimedia franchise of all time look graphically comparable to other big jrpgs on the same system too much?

"It's a 5 minute trailer, wait until you play it!"

ends up being an accurate depiction of the final game

"wait until the next one, they'll come to grips with the hardware!"

they don't

next game announced

"it's a 5 minute trailer,.....

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I gave up after Sun and Moon. This series will never be great. Go ahead and rip me. Everything I just said is 100% true and you know it.
Lol damn that was brutal. I consider myself a mega fan of Poke'mon, and I can't really argue against any of the things you said.

Nothing about Poke'mon is impressive anymore. It's basically just junk food.

(And I agree, Sun and Moon were terrible games)

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
Gamefreak fans never change. Using the straw man of "BOTW Pokemon" to handwave away criticism and paint critics as unrealistic.

Is a free camera, open routes, and a bit more freedom too much to ask for? Is asking that a major game in the biggest multimedia franchise of all time look graphically comparable to other big jrpgs on the same system too much?
the lack of free camera is a bummer for sure but the latter two we don't know if thats the case yet either.

Its fine to be let down on that front tho.

Its less fine to be let down that the game didn't flip the whole franchise on its head. BOTW happened because SS sold worse and was lambasted by fans. For all of its faults, SM did not have that effect...thats the major difference. Same goes for Mario O to an extent. 3DWorld didn't set the world on fire so a "return" to form of 64 was called for.

Bottom line is that people need to realize that the are in the minority when it comes to the changes they want for the series. Most people are fine w/ new pokemon, new region, and a new coat of paint. That suits the competitive side of things, that suits the entry level nature of the series, that suits the merchandise side of things, and while consumers may not give a shit about this, it damn sure suits the small nature of GF. Could things improve and also suit them? Hell yeah...but like it or not, until stagnation truly hits via sells and reception, its not going to change. So if that truly bothers you, I'd suggest you bail out because all signs point to each gen being a small incremental step forward.

Again my advice is to sit out a gen or two, then when you do return, there will be enough updates to fufill your needs.

This is not pushing away criticism, it is the reality of the situation.

JohnDoe

Oct 26, 2017
The starters are cool and the region looks pretty inspired and colorful. For me to make any final judgements on this I don't have enough infos.
The graphics look like dogshit to me, sorry. I wasn't expecting Breath of the Wild graphics at all but damn some of those textures look rough. People are just handwaving away criticism of the graphics because it's Pokemon. Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee wasn't impressive either AND they had awful framerate drops. If you don't have good graphics, at least have the decency to run your 15+ Million selling game at a smooth framerate. Hopefully the final version looks better.
I'm on board with this game if they cut out the bullshit handholding and make a goddamn decent post-game again. If they want to keep making the same game again and again that's fine by me but at least keep the things for people who wanna play more and maybe do something more challenging. For the things I care about in a Pokemon game, HGSS felt more ambitious to me than the last two gens and that's a damn shame.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Yeah I'm really baffled by the amount of trolling in
You outta your mind:

hrcqkzZ.jpg

Some people don't really care about graphics ?

I'm not interested in Pokemon but I was looking at the direct and was thinking that it looked good enough. Then I went here and it was like the end of the world "OMG look how bad lmfao gamefreak incompetent yada yada".
It's a Pokemon game, they always have been really simple graphics wise. What did people expect (apart concern trolling)

Yavga

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
You outta your mind:

hrcqkzZ.jpg

All I see is this vibrant image that makes me happy, I see a Nintendo managing to get all these awesome kind of games on Switch that make me happy.

Just like undertale can make me happy, let's talk about thise graphics as well because I think the graphics serve their purpose well in both games. Expecting a massive leap is the weird thing I think... it would possibly put off a lot of people.