• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wagmarwigmir

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
My mind is blown that people are complaining about the random battles...Thats like half of pokemon. Thats what makes it more exciting when a pokemon youve search and searching for finally comes up. Ya'll wack

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I don't understand Game Freak's obsession with rapidly changing the camera angle in their games. If you want to give us a fixed, top down camera...fine. But changing it so suddenly when you turn a corner is jarring at times, and many of the angles are just awkward. I absolutely hate it.

Exactly! The camera always bobbing as swerving around paths was super distracting and annoying

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
It's basic business sense.

A new Pokemon gen on the graphical scale of BotW (I warned people not to expect that) would require a three year development cycle costing in the region of $40 million along with potentially tying up Monolith Soft as development partners.

In the same three years, Game Freak can develop and release a Go spin off, a 3DS+ visual instalment of the main series, a small indie like new IP and a traditional Pokemon remake selling an average of 15 million copies each with a combined development cost of less than $30 million.

We would all love a massive AAA Pokemon game with much higher fidelity graphics but it ain't going to happen anytime soon for the reasons above.
Absolutely, the cost/benefit this way seems far better but we can see how many other big videogame series go more ambitious from time to time. I never expected a world on the same scale of BotW, fixed camera angles and traditional Pokémon world exploration is good enough IMO but the texture work and general graphical effort should be more close to other games on the same system.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
The cities look really nice and dense, the overworld seems a bit, sparse.

Was hoping for the longshot goal of seeing the Pokemon in the wild vs the random encounters. But other than that, looks good, Wish they showed more.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
So when people think of the mainline Pokemon games, they think of this right? Like it is the madden of Pokemon, you have to follow the same formula and only iterate on it slightly. Expecting a huge change was pointless?

If a game was to go like a different direction, say Ni No Kuni levels of production ect. It would not be a mainline Poke title? It would have to be something different?

Do they honestly not have the budget to make a huge title?

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People seriously suggesting this game started on the 3DS need to get outside more jesus christ

9PryQ6U.jpg

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That Nibel twitter post is bullshit. This is the first home console RPG Pokemon game. It is not unreasonable to expect a slight bit of iteration in addition to retaining features that were positively received in past iterations (Pokemon in overworld from Let's go)

It's actually the 4th home console Pokémon RPG and it looks miles better than them.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
So when people think of the mainline Pokemon games, they think of this right? Like it is the madden of Pokemon, you have to follow the same formula and only iterate on it slightly. Expecting a huge change was pointless?

If a game was to go like a different direction, say Ni No Kuni levels of production ect. It would not be a mainline Poke title? It would have to be something different?

Of course they have the budget, they just make the games they want to.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly! The camera always bobbing as swerving around paths was super distracting and annoying

Not only is it jarring, but the controls actually change at times. You'll be going forward, and then turn a corner, and the camera snaps into some weird angle. Then the controls for moving in the directions you were moving in suddenly change (ie, going forward now requires you to press to the right on the analog stick instead of up). It's poor game design.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
They didn't know the Lets Go style would be well liked by the public, i don't know if y'all remember the shitshow that was ERA every time Lets Go was mentioned during the whole year until release...

They used Lets Go to experiment just like they often do with remakes and i believe we will see those changes in the future, just not in Gen 8 because it is too soon (meaning they don't have enough time now).

There was NO way Pokémon in the overworld and having them follow you wasn't going to be popular. People have been asking for that since Gen 2.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Who makes the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games? I'm THIRSTING for one of those on Switch.

The Detective Pikachu port feels like a lock for Switch, hopefully it won't be the only spinoff announced later!

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Correct.

It's not a budget issue, this is a conscious choice. There is a big competitive Pokemon scene that makes a lot of money. They're not going to throw that away so if you want something radically different you need to stick to the spinoffs and side games.

Who makes the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games? I'm THIRSTING for one of those on Switch.

The Detective Pikachu port feels like a lock for Switch, hopefully it won't be the only spinoff announced later!
Spike Chunsoft

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
What I want to know is where all the users at who bashed me when I said this game would most likely be similar to Sun and Moon graphically? I want an apology.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
tbh I felt like showing a bunch of Pokémon from every gen in the trailer with a gen 5 Pokémon instantly following Pikachu felt like their response to the gen 1 pandering complaints. lol

Maybe... maybe they're listening. We can dream.

We will absolutely know if they're listening after the first 2 hours of the game. If they still keep on wrestling the control out of the player every 5 steps until the first gym, they haven't listened or learnt anything at all.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
Despite some of these negative reactions, this will be my first time purchasing a Pokemon game since HeartGold/SoulSilver.

I liked what I saw. Didn't expect a massive change in artstyle from Let's Go and Sun/Moon.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Correct.

It's not a budget issue, this is a conscious choice. There is a big competitive Pokemon scene that makes a lot of money. They're not going to throw that away so if you want something radically different you need to stick to the spinoffs and side games.
Ook, I see. Thanks for explaining, hopefully one day they can branch off and make something different in that regard.

I think it's clear they don't want to make a big budget Pokemon game, I don't even know why I was expecting them to... Probably because this was the first FULL FLEDGED COMSOLE POKEMON (TM) game they made.

Yeaa, I think that is the issue, they built this up like, "POKEMON NEXT" the first major Pokemon title on console. I guess I was expecting that to mean an actual budget and effort?

But it is fair if this is all people want.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Three dumb looking starters, region looks small, graphics look like a step back from Let's Go and the titles are terrible.

How many people are really going to pick Shield over Sword?

Oct 25, 2017
What is this nonsense. Does this have any basis on reality? Nintendo were the ones who fucking popularized controllable 3D cameras!

It does, but i don't think they mentioned children, it always felt to me like they were talking about people that couldn't make the jump from 2D to 3D.

For a more specific example, in the Iwata asks for Super Mario Galaxy they talk how about the camera of Super Mario Sunshine (and other 3D games) can make people dizzy.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I think the root of the problem is that people are angry because they believe that Pokémon does not deserve to be so successful without having a higher budget.

Like "It's not fair that they have such a good formula."

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Oef, really not impressed with what they showed. I was hoping for a take closer to the remake of yellow. standard camera but do that graphically well! OR if they would have gone full out, a breath of the wild approach.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Three dumb looking starters, region looks small, graphics look like a step back from Let's Go and the titles are terrible.

How many people are really going to pick Shield over Sword?
there's no basis by which to say that the region looks small and the graphics aren't close to a step back from Let's Go, you clearly don't remember how that game looks.

What is with all the shitposting happening in here? People saying Stadium looks better and expecting us to take that at face value. Good god, lmao.

GeminiX7

Feb 6, 2019
Calling it now:
Final evolutions:
Fire: Fire/Normal
Water: Water/Ghost
Grass: Grass/Fighting

I don't know why, but I can feel it in my bones....

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ook, I see. Thanks for explaining, hopefully one day they can branch off and make something different in that regard.

Yeaa, I think that is the issue, they built this up like, "POKEMON NEXT" the first major Pokemon title on console. I guess I was expecting that to mean an actual budget and effort?

But it is fair if this is all people want.
That only post quoted only refers to the battle system. There's no reason why everything else that surrounds it has to stay the same.