• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
I think this could have started development on 3ds, or at least multi platform, as Ishihara didn't expect the switch to be succesful enough.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Translation is probably the biggest offender, among other things like battle animations.

Like I said, I love Cyber Sleuth. But if you're comparing it to Pokemon, even XY, then Pokemon wins.
You didn't really answer my question. I'm comparing them graphically. The environments and Digimon in Cyber Sleuth actually looks a lot more detailed than the Sword/Shield trailer. You'd think that a switch game would look miles better and be way more detailed than a PS Vita game.

But I guess I will give that Sun/Sword will have bigger environments than Cyber Sleuth and I guess it's a tough task to make 800+ Pokemon look better than 200+ Digimon.

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
People seriously suggesting this game started on the 3DS need to get outside more jesus christ

People seriously thinking that Nintendo had planned from the beginning to release a mainline pokemon game on a home console, right after the Wii U tanked, without any certitude that the followup would be a success and suddenly ignore the already huge fanbase of 3DS users, need to get outside more.

The Switch has only been out for 2 years, this game has been in development for longer than that. Nintendo wouldn't have taken that risk, when they've never done it in the past....

0ean

Banned
Jan 30, 2019
What are gamefreak thinking recycling the 3DS engine for the switch?! This game looks terrible performance wise and graphically awful.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
In what universe does this

578.jpg

look better than this?

vlcsnap-2019-02-27-14h14m07s391-1551277230516.png

vlcsnap-2019-02-27-14h13m55s592-1551277230517.png

I'm sorry but it's straight up bullshit trolling.

That house is adorable and really well made. A little too busy perhaps, but it is executed well. Everything else I've seen however has been really lackluster and not as intriguing.

I'm real disappointed, but oh well, I guess these games arent for me anymore.

Zelretch

Oct 25, 2017
Problem is they've regressed from some of the incremental improvements they made in Let's Go.

No they haven't because this game was not developed after Lets Go, it started development a bit earlier and has been developed in parallel to Lets Go. Think of it as a few years ago their dev team took two different routes, last year we saw one and this one the other. We will probably see the improvements that you say in Gen 9, but with +2 years of dev time done they weren't going to redesign the whole game in less than a year to fit them.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Direct aired 3h44m ago and #PokemonSwordShield is still 3rd in trend topic WW, Pokemon is 4th, Sobble 6th, Scorbunny 9th and Grookey 10th.

This is gonna make so much money.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
Team Grookey.

Just seen the Japanese logos. Is this the first time they've used the classic Western colour scheme? (blue and yellow font)

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
As someone who hasn't really played a Pokemon game since the original (well, I dabbled in one of the 3DS ones) I think this looks pretty neat.

If you aren't picking Sobble, you are out to lunch.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That Nibel twitter post is bullshit. This is the first home console RPG Pokemon game. It is not unreasonable to expect a slight bit of iteration in addition to retaining features that were positively received in past iterations (Pokemon in overworld from Let's go)

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
You didn't really answer my question. I'm comparing them graphically. The environments and Digimon in Cyber Sleuth actually looks a lot more detailed than the Sword/Shield trailer. You'd think that a switch game would look miles better and be way more detailed than a PS Vita game.

But I guess I will give that Sun/Sword will have bigger environments than Cyber Sleuth and I guess it's a tough task to make 800+ Pokemon look better than 200+ Digimon.
No, absolutely not. The environments in CS are hot fucking garbage. The Digimon are maybe roughly the same, but it comes nowhere near Pokemon. I absolutely love Digimon and I played those PS4 games a ton, but they come nowhere near this game on any level.

TheRedLag00n

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I dig the new area, although it doesn't really look like an evolution, just what Sun & Moon did, but on a HD console this time. Still enjoy the setting, don't mind the new starters and the girl is cute af, so I will definitely play as her. Hope the camera will offer both a fixed variant (for newcomers who joined the franchise with Let's Go) and controllable camera for everyone else. The rotation shot gives me hope, but with GameFreak, we never know...

cHinzo

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, the designs look terrible. Hope there are some redeeming ones in there. Still excited for a fully fledged console Pokemon game though.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We know that, but Pokémon sells a lot of games, they can justify hiring a lots of developers and make a profit no problem. If it was a small, indie game, ok we can understand, but there's no reason Pokémon can't look as good or even better than Zelda on the same system.

It's basic business sense.

A new Pokemon gen on the graphical scale of BotW (I warned people not to expect that) would require a three year development cycle costing in the region of $40 million along with potentially tying up Monolith Soft as development partners.

In the same three years, Game Freak can develop and release a Go spin off, a 3DS+ visual instalment of the main series, a small indie like new IP and a traditional Pokemon remake selling an average of 15 million copies each with a combined development cost of less than $30 million.

We would all love a massive AAA Pokemon game with much higher fidelity graphics but it ain't going to happen anytime soon for the reasons above.

justin haines

Banned
Nov 27, 2018
Hijacking thread to ask a question about Pokemon Let's GO on Switch....

What control method would people recommend for a 6 year old? I plan on getting the game and wondered if I should be watching for that poke ball controller to come on sale?

The demo seemed cool enough but i was caught off guard by the controller setup, and by the looks of this one the Pokeball will be limited to that game on the switch and we dont play the Mobile GO game.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
In what universe does this

578.jpg

look better than this?

vlcsnap-2019-02-27-14h14m07s391-1551277230516.png

vlcsnap-2019-02-27-14h13m55s592-1551277230517.png

I'm sorry but it's straight up bullshit trolling.

I'm not trolling at all, I love freaking Pokémon! Of course this shots look better than Let's Go. I was talking about the battle screens in particular. It seems they still keep using the same 3DS assets there which I don't remember looking that yucky on Let's Go.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
No they haven't because this game was not developed after Lets Go, it started development a bit earlier and has been developed in parallel to Lets Go. Think of it as a few years ago their dev team took two different routes, last year we saw one and this one the other. We will probably see the improvements that you say in Gen 9, but with +2 years of dev time done they weren't going to redesign the whole game in less than a year to fit them.

Which is why their different teams need to fucking communicate with each other for once.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit disappointed that they only showed single battles in the trailer. They're never going to make double battles the standard in single player, are they?
At least maybe the stadiums will be like gym battles that have restrictions or different battle settings. Maybe we could get a Double Battles stadium.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What control method would people recommend for a 6 year old? I plan on getting the game and wondered if I should be watching for that poke ball controller to come on sale?

The demo seemed cool enough but i was caught off guard by the controller setup, and by the looks of this one the Pokeball will be limited to that game on the switch and we dont play the Mobile GO game.
Single Joycon is more than good enough.

LawfulEnder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looks great. Extremely happy to see random battles haven't been axed, but hoping for the return of following Pokémon because that's a genuinely great feature that should be standard at this point.

Superman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
日本
Nice. This'll be the first Pokémon game I buy since Platinum. Also, I think this game will be more open than people think and they were just showing some bare bones stuff. Lets wait until after E3 because at least for me, something is off about this trailer.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

The ball is fun and a 6-year old would love it. It also makes cute sounds depending on the Pokemon you caught.

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nibel is Gamefreak apologist? Wow! I'm shocked.