• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
The art direction looks great, but boy those in-battle graphics...

The backgrounds are still using low res sprites just like Sun/Moon:

a1nlk35.jpg

a2ztkrj.jpg
Jesuschrist. For some reason this looks WORSE than Let's Go, wtf!? 3DS levels of graphics that are not even properly scaled to look ok in HD. My heart...

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017

mjw

Oct 27, 2017
If there is anything I'm disappointed with in this bit of footage we have, it's that there is seemingly no free camera. Are GF really not going to take advantage of a second stick?

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New people? Fans who buy it out of habbit. People returning to the series? Parents who just get it for their kids. You cannot be serious.
Functionally, what is the difference, exactly?
I'm including BW, it has tons of small off-areas where you can get items and hunt for Mons, it's literally the only reason to use non-Surf HMs

The argument was just that they didn't substantially exist, but B2W2 definitely is on-par if not better than Platinum in that regard.
BW2 have more options than BW1, and any 3DS game, but having played Platinum and B2 back in 2017, I don't know if I agree that B2W2 are on par or beyond Platinum in terms of wider exploration options.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Maybe it started off development as a 3DS game, or they are just being super conservative in their transition into HD. They are a tiny studio and don't have much experience in HD development. They really need to expand big time over the next few years, 143 people isn't gonna cut it anymore.
We know that, but Pokémon sells a lot of games, they can justify hiring a lots of developers and make a profit no problem. If it was a small, indie game, ok we can understand, but there's no reason Pokémon can't look as good or even better than Zelda on the same system.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
People seriously suggesting this game started on the 3DS need to get outside more jesus christ

Oct 27, 2017
Jesuschrist. For some reason this looks WORSE than Let's Go, wtf!? 3DS levels of graphics that are not even properly scaled to look ok in HD. My heart...
I hope this is sarcasm or you seriously need to check your eyes. It looks significantly better than LGPE and even moreso than the 3DS games, or any 3Ds RPG for that matter.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The games were being made at the same time, there's no regression. Let's Go was an experiment and feedback from that wouldn't be implemented in these games due to time constraints.
Game came out last year. New game comes out this year.

I don't care about what happens internally. I'm looking at a product that's going to release 12 months after the last one.

MrChocolate

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

PrintedCrayon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seadome
S&M and X&Y had some of the best designed pokemon in the entire series.
We have seen 3 of who knows how many new pokemon. But ill agree to disagree. Every gen has their gems and poor designs.

Yeah, you're both right, wrong of my to generalise but I do feel many designs are perhaps a bit too far from my personal preference which are based on animals.
tbf Vanilluxe is very cute & creative (Change My Mind)
584Vanilluxe.png
It's cool,, I'll give you that... But come on. Ice cream?? 😂

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
He's talking about the people who had unrealistic expectations and expected Pokemon to go in a completely different direction when there was no reason to think that was ever going to happen. Not the people who wanted some more changes then what was shown.
Yeah, the follow-up tweet made that clear and I agree more with that statement, in fact I did mention that some people go to extremes for no reason and my initial post was referring to the first tweet.
Exactly. The people taking the biggest offense to it are likely the people he was referring to.
Nope, I agree with the follow-up statement, the initial one wasn't clear enough at least for me. No offense taken.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I feel people making calls that the game is mediocre, unambitious, or overly linear is getting to "Mario Odyssey only has 4 kingdoms" or "Breath of the Wild has no towns" tier of nonsense.

Like if you don't like how the game looks then fine but it's clear this is setting the foundation for future marketing to build off of. The region, graphics engine, and starters are what they want to showcase. Honestly the fact they're going this hard is kind of making me excited for what they're going to show off. So far Sword and Shield look like Pokemon games for better and for worse. Let's see how they intend these games to stand out and how much they've improved. There's nothing substancial to make that judgement from what I've seen.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny how people are complaining about frame rate and graphics when it clearly said "not final game footage" or whatever.

Chill the fuck out people, it's only February and this game will probably slip into 2020 lol.

Game looks fuckin' awesome IMO.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I never wanted a BOTW-level overhaul personally. I knew that was never happening. I'm even fine with Gyms returning. But I hope the region has some life to it; I'm getting flashbacks to how stale Kalos was. I also knew it was unrealistic to expect a complete overhaul of 800+ Pokemon models, but to me it's a reminder of the fundamental shift in design that took place after the DS era and how the games start to feel less and less unique.

I'm not bitter or mad, this is mostly within my expectations, but after 20 years of some of the best experiences I've ever had playing Pokemon games, it's disappointing feeling like my love for the series might have already peaked. I avoided Let's Go for similar reasons, and while I plan to buy this, right now it isn't doing anything to surpass my (low) expectations.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Oy, looks like I'm out. Was really hoping they'd use this as an opportunity to evolve (pun) and change up the formula a bit.

Walking through grass to random encounters to do the same locked in fighting with the same sound effects from the Gameboy. Sighhhhh. I guess it's foolish to think they'd actually improve things like that.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
What is this nonsense. Does this have any basis on reality? Nintendo were the ones who fucking popularized controllable 3D cameras!
Have you ever watched someone without much gaming experience try to control a free camera? It's not a skill that comes instantly to people. It takes a lot of practice.

Pokemon is the kind of game that even people like my mom would play. She plays a lot of games but still has trouble with cameras and more action oriented controls. Pokemon is a game for everyone -- young and old, experienced and not. I think a fixed camera is the right pick for that.

aesync

Jan 19, 2018
Chicago
How tf are people extrapolating that the entire game is corridors from about 15 seconds of actual running around footage? Lets chill people

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It's funny how people are complaining about frame rate and graphics when it clearly said "not final game footage" or whatever.

Chill the fuck out people, it's only February and this game will probably slip into 2020 lol.

Game looks fuckin' awesome IMO.

They aren't going to delay it. Pokemon never gets delayed and Nintendo insisted in their fiscal report none of their 2019 games will be pushed into 2020.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
People seriously suggesting this game started on the 3DS need to get outside more jesus christ

There's no way you have textures with such a low res as the football shirt that you can see the literal individual pixels if it didn't start on the 3DS, like, there's no way that even a termporary placeholder looks that bad. The game reeks of literally starting development for the 3DS while the Switch was already on the market and Nintendo having to drag Game Freak kicking and screaming into developing the 8th gen for it.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
So what could the third 'ultimate' version be called?

Armour? Lance?

I could see ShinySword and ShinyShield or something. SharpSword and ShinyShield?

Now they know they can get away with releasing two sets of two I don't think we'll ever go back to third versions