• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
It doesn't look horrible, but Game Freak really don't strive for top tier. Sun and Moon Plus.

It should look like Ni No Kuni or DQ11. Game Freak should outsource the graphical tech development and only handle game and art designs.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I imagine they cut Pokemon following you around because it must be a nightmare trying to implement that with all 900+ Pokemon. I wasn't expecting that feature to return to tbh.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A preview of the final Scorbunny's evolution:

joel-white-fighter-bunny-gif-by-makohazard-d4ydgoe.jpg

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fully committed to Scorbunny already so its final evolution had better live up to the badass bunny I'm dreaming of.

I'm so relieved random encounters are back. It takes all the fun and mystery out of it for me when I can see them all running around and just pick and choose what to encounter.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For someone that sure posts a lot about pokemon.... you dont seem very excited?
What? I'm incredibly excited. Comparing the games to Gen 4 is like one of the highest praises I could have given it.
That was a gym? I thought it was meant to be a cave.

I guess for now I'll remain cautiously optimistic bout the region design.
The region design looks great.
What is the fish based on?

Isn't Gen IV infamous for being the worst until VI came around?
No? Especially not w/ Platinum

Lilalaunebaer

Oct 27, 2017
From from the trailer.
About what i expected. The region looks cool. Looks like Sun/moon with some upgrades.
Cool with random encounters and thank god they kept wild battles.
Scorbunny - i choose you.

Yeah i´ll buy.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Let's Go excited me. The upcoming movie excites me. This somehow feels stale. I shouldn't complain I already have two things I like - but this could be so much more

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
Its really not. It's a bad design choice that they finally improved on last year then fell back to because nostalgia.

Bad design? I hope you have an argument to back those words and not just be a funny quote you learned from the internet.

Give me a break

Lets Go just showed one way it can be successfully done

Lets Go is a collectathon. The core rpg Pokemon games are about creating a competitive team (for local play, not even the online features) and catching them all, but just once each one.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So I have a legitimate question for everyone that likes random encounters. Why? What do they legitimately add to the game that Pokemon you see in the wild would not add? Because from where I'm sitting, it seems to just pad play time.
What does Pokémon in the overworld add? It just clogs the environment and kills any surprise of something new appearing. If you already see everything, it's boring. I like that disappointment of seeing something old and that rush of excitement of encountering something new after that battle transition. Overworld Pokémon kills that.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Graphics of 3D Pokémon games will be held back by the fidelity of the Pokémon models — might not be feasible to make them all in AAA quality, so you build the rest of the world around a style that works with whatever you can pull off with the Pokémon.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
The poster said random battles, not wild battles. Wild battles should never be gone from the main series, but random encounters is such a terrible mechanic now that we've been presented with roaming Pokémon in the overworld, I don't really know why anyone would prefer random encounters over actually being able to see the Pokémon and going for the one you're interested in, plus it makes the world look more alive.

You're right, I completely misread it. Apologies to that poster.

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Honestly even if i'm very disappointed in the lack of a free camera and in the games graphical fidelity, I can still be convinced.

Hard mode without having to beat the game
Dungeons and routes at least as difficult as pre-Unova Pokemon
Gym leaders with 4+ pokemon
A rival that isn't friendly

i'll obviously have to wait for reviews first...

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
I'm....kinda torn.

On one hand it undeniably looks better than SuMo, but at the same time, compared to other notable Nintendo franchises, it doesn't look THAT much better - at least, in a way that immediately draws the player's eye to.

And while I did hear Ohmori say they want to try new things, literally nothing in what they showed looked new, or hell, even inspired.

I'm holding out hope for cool older-game features to make a kick back in, but when for whatever reason you refuse to even put in stuff like your 1st pokemon following you on the overworld, or having the routes looks like a straight shot, it doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Nor do the starters - Scorbunny is probably what I'll roll with, but nothing in them screams new or interesting to me.

Dunno if I got caught up in the 'BOTW of pokemon' hype a little, but this isn't really sucking me in - especially with the delay.

This pretty much perfectly sums up how I feel. Maybe my expectations were too high, but to see that even the best innovations from Let's Go! were removed ... doesn't inspire confidence.

Maybe part of the problem is the thing I want most from a Pokemon game isn't mechanical, it's emotional. I want to feel immersed in this world and to have the Pokemon themselves feel real and alive and to see them interacting with each other in the world. I don't care at all if the combat is turn-based or if the catching mechanics are traditional or Go-inspired. I just want a little of that kick I got from Pokemon Snap back in the day, but without the rails. This actually isn't a particularly unreasonable request, given the Switch's hardware and what we've seen others do on the system, but I guess Pokemon is always going to feel like a handheld diversion, and we're just now going to be able to play it on a bigger screen.