• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I'll need to see what these evolve into before I decide on my starter. In Sun/Moon it was the owl cuz it was totes adorbs, but the cat evolves intoa freaking wrestler and that resonates with me.

Deleted member 9972

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty clear they're not going to do any huge innovation to the formula while people are still actively buying the game in droves. Any evolution to the series would mean all future games would require that extra bit of work as well. It would become an expectation. Those expectations would cost time and money and likely do little to increase their already substantial sales. It's just bad business for them to innovate at the moment.

Sucks for me and some others who were hoping for something fresh, but there's still plenty of hype in this thread and I have no doubt this game will do well and be loved by many. Not a bad thing, but I guess the series just isn't for me anymore.

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You KNOW Sobble is gonna go from timid lil thing to big beefy hunk at 36. That's my fucking starter. This looks great. Hope it's not as talky and boring as S&M though.

StrapOnFetus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TX
Looks badass! None of that weird stuff from Lets Go. Growing up with Red and Blue. This is how I imagined Pokemon to be in the 90s. Even random encounters and gyms are back!

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, what is with the complaints about random battles? Is it just old/washed-up fans who returned to the series with Let's Go or something? People who have actually been playing these games for decades consider the random encounters to be a core mechanic.

Been playing since 1998 and I want overworld Pokémon back permanently. There's still a surprise element when a Pokémon shows up on the overworld, and it adds to the realism. They already have Pokémon animations programmed. I struggle to see why they didn't implement this after LGPE.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
This kinda looks a bit lame to me. I don't know. From looks alone, it's a bit disappointing. Like they're going back to basics after reinventing the formula for Sun and Moon. Hopefully they aren't once we get more info.

Ekakkubris

Oct 31, 2017
East Bay, California
The world looks great... but that's it. I hope I can walk everywhere in that farming valley than being held back by gates.

Everything else felt regressive. Fine, I'll deal with wild battles again, it's not like my time is not valuable or anything, but not even showing wild pokemon on the field is kinda ridiculous.

Looks like I'll be untraditional with this traditional game by
injecting my battle ready mons this go-round

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
its pokemon games, people will always complain is not their dream 100M budget game with riding whatever trend is hot.

Like, we have been on this ride for 20 years and we know the main games are locked to Game Freak and we know their "limitations", so it would be an actual surprise if people for once kept their expectation realistic about every new game from em.

Random encounters are just so 90er gaming, based on former technical limitations. Most game series good rid of random encounters, its just an annoyance.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
hmm

jXK9CUz.png

Oct 26, 2017
BotW is bad, so I'm glad Pokémon didn't go that route. Not everything needs to be an open-world where there is fuck all to do.
No ones asking for BotW but with Pokemons. People are asking for a major shakeup like BotW was for Zelda

Man, some of you guys hate BotW so much, you see red as soon as you see the words

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
WHY THE FUCK ARE PEOPLE PISSED THAT RANDOM BATTLES ARE BACK.

ARE YOU PEOPLE SERIOUS.

I REMEMBER WHEN YOU PEOPLE WERE AFRAID OF LGPE'S INFLUENCE ON THE REST OF THE SERIES. YOU FOLKS WERE GOING ON AND ON ABOUT GEN 8 NOT BEING SOMETHING TRADITIONAL.

NOW HERE YOU ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT THINGS IN THOSE GAMES NOT BEING IN HERE.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

YOU PEOPLE ARE IMPOSSIBLE.

Its called PLAYING the game and reflecting AFTER about what works and what doesnt

Who gives a shit about pre launch hot takes

Why not read what people are saying RIGHT NOW

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
This looks amazing, the starters look amazing, the region looks amazing. I absolutely cannot wait for these. New Pokemon games still make me as happy as the day I discovered them.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna buy this for sure, but I can't help but feel disappointed by how safe these games are looking. Still route-based, not behind-your-character third person camera, random encounters *yawn*

The region looks good tho with a lot of personality. Since this looks like Pokemon's England equivalent, I'd really like to see the lore of this region tied to Kalos.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
WHY THE FUCK ARE PEOPLE PISSED THAT RANDOM BATTLES ARE BACK.

ARE YOU PEOPLE SERIOUS.

I REMEMBER WHEN YOU PEOPLE WERE AFRAID OF LGPE'S INFLUENCE ON THE REST OF THE SERIES. YOU FOLKS WERE GOING ON AND ON ABOUT GEN 8 NOT BEING SOMETHING TRADITIONAL.

NOW HERE YOU ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT THINGS IN THOSE GAMES NOT BEING IN HERE.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

YOU PEOPLE ARE IMPOSSIBLE.
Alot of people valued the change in LGPE in this regard though and wished it to be one of the few things they would keep.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I think it looks great, personally.

Also, I'm not convinced there isn't some sort of camera control. Some of those shots looked sort of free-camera. Could have been some developer mode, though.

Either way, I'm all in!

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This seems... fine.

The art design is great, no complaints there. Otherwise it just looks like another one of these. Will still be good but it's hard to not be a bit disappointed. I've a hard time imagining I'll like this as much as Let's Go but we'll see. Hopefully something yet to be revealed really wows me.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The more I think about this reveal, the more underwhelming it feels. It truly looks like SM in HD. Same cheap-looking trees and bushes, same ugly backgrounds, everything is the same. Even the battles look like they could have taken place on the latest 3DS titles. I can't recall two other gens looking this similar, especially in different platforms. I'm really worried these new games will double down on the amount of cutscenes and the frequency with which control is taken away from the player, which I hated in the previous games.

Also, is it really that hard to let the right stick control the camera? Other games have been doing that for decades, so I know it's not impossible.

Dec 18, 2017
I grew up with Pokemon and if nothing else I can say that graphically, we have arrived. The art style and graphics are a huge upgrade from Sun and Moon. The footage shown is night and day difference, anyone who says different is trolling.

The title: Sword and Shield isn't doing it for me, but meh.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People only care about graphics if they're behind the back I guess. The art direction in this is really good. It's lovely.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Okay besides the fact that's hardly a big upgrade, let's consider the 3DS hardware.

And then consider the Switch hardware.

And then consider we already have this:

Super-Mario-Odyssey-screenshots-gallery-08-11-2017-22.jpg

and then you see this for what is arguably an equally successful and big franchise:

OVGiHla.jpg

And finally consider how many assets GameFreak already have pre-made for this game for years.

That's gonna be a yikes from me, chief.
I, too, enjoy comparing screengrabs from compressed youtube videos from yet to released games against direct feed screen grabs from a fully released console game.

Not saying you are wrong. Just that this is a shitty comparison.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You all do realize that because Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee were started AFTER this one that the things used on that game won't come back until the next mainline title right?

Oct 27, 2017
Okay besides the fact that's hardly a big upgrade, let's consider the 3DS hardware.

And then consider the Switch hardware.

And then consider we already have this:

Super-Mario-Odyssey-screenshots-gallery-08-11-2017-22.jpg

and then you see this for what is arguably an equally successful and big franchise:

OVGiHla.jpg

And finally consider how many assets GameFreak already have pre-made for this game for years.

That's gonna be a yikes from me, chief.

We really comparing a shrunken down direct feed image to a youtube live stream screenshot?

I'm not saying it ranks as the best looking games on the Switch, but even from your comparison Odyssey doesn't look overwhelmingly better. This is coming from a person who has shat on Gamefreak's technical competency for months (look at pretty much all my posts on them on this board). It doesn't simply look like an HD upres of USUM, which I had feared, and it's art style is more cartoony than Mario's anyway

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, what is with the complaints about random battles? Is it just old/washed-up fans who returned to the series with Let's Go or something? People who have actually been playing these games for decades consider the random encounters to be a core mechanic.
Yes, I'm old and washed up.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
My god, the whining here is unbearable.

The graphics are pretty good, way better realized than Town, which is more or less what I was expecting. If they actually put an effort on the world building, expansiveness and amount of content in this game, it has everything to be great.

Don't think for a second I don't have my complaints about the franchise, I straight up didn't like XY and though SM weren't exactly great, but this looks like GF is listening and getting back on rails. But they are never going to do something other than a Pokémon game, which is what some of y'all seemed to be expecting. Get real and let fans enjoy what they like.

Also, all of the starters look great, but Sobble is a perfect little angel and I will protect it at all costs.