• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Seriously, what is with the complaints about random battles? Is it just old/washed-up fans who returned to the series with Let's Go or something? People who have actually been playing these games for decades consider the random encounters to be a core mechanic.
I'm a bit perplexed as well. Black & White 2 were the last games I played and random encounters are a huge part of the fun for me. I skipped Let's Go because of that and a few other reasons and I'm so pumped to jump back in with this.

Oct 27, 2017
Look at this route. This is Sun/Moon linearity all over again.

Along with random fucking encounters.

CQLGk69.jpg
Looks like the first route in the game. It's always linear

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
I still need to see more of this... i am not sure.

So they designed the map so linearily that it is a straight line?
Lmao.

Yes, the post ending content will be the largest city in the game!!2!
Lmao, what were they're thin... wait, I think we're the idiots here!

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
For someone not well versed in previous pokemon entries and such, this is the new Pokemon RPG I have preordered or is that another game?

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
This is what I wanted though. Scale. Now I can believe people live in those houses and those towns feel more realistic.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did not expect to get this much today! I can't hide my excitement here folks, I'm 100% in! The region looks great! Environments are beautiful, and so are the Pokemon models. Trainer models go with the Sun/Moon art style that I was hoping for, albeit with a ton more detail. Is it the end of 2019 yet?

ZoSo006

Oct 25, 2017
Winnipeg
Graphically out reminds me a bit of Let's go which is a bit meh but the actual cities and overall region look pretty cool and varied enough though.

Only viable starter be Scorbunny of course.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure why people expected decent graphical quality from Gamefreak, of all developers. They've been getting by with bare minimum effort on the game engine / models for a long time now. At least with the art style it's sort of passable.

The Sword and Shield name seems uninspired, but the UK as a region looks neat. And the gameplay looks like mainline Pokemon, which is good because the Go / Let's Go stuff isn't interesting at all.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah sadly this is definitely not Pokemon BoTW. They are going with an ILLUSION of size and scope that isn't really there Disneyland style.

Welp, pretty much exactly as expected.

Nintendo's lack of ambition with Pokemon never ceases to amaze. Been here, done this. No thanks.

I'm pretty disappointed this isn't Anthem myself

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
WHY THE FUCK ARE PEOPLE PISSED THAT RANDOM BATTLES ARE BACK.

ARE YOU PEOPLE SERIOUS.

I REMEMBER WHEN YOU PEOPLE WERE AFRAID OF LGPE'S INFLUENCE ON THE REST OF THE SERIES. YOU FOLKS WERE GOING ON AND ON ABOUT GEN 8 NOT BEING SOMETHING TRADITIONAL.

NOW HERE YOU ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT THINGS IN THOSE GAMES NOT BEING IN HERE.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

YOU PEOPLE ARE IMPOSSIBLE.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I have never played a Pokemon game and thought it looked interesting in the trailer, and pretty good as well. But reading this topic and learning that apparently, the world is not "fully" really open, in the sense that you more or less follow a set path rather than freely roaming the environment, has really cooled me down. I guess I won't play Pokemon this gen, after all. I hope the fans will like it though.

Idle Talk

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, what is with the complaints about random battles? Is it just old/washed-up fans who returned to the series with Let's Go or something? People who have actually been playing these games for decades consider the random encounters to be a core mechanic.

My thoughts exactly. 🙌

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
Why would Game Freak make radical change when the sales clearly shows that fans are craving for more of the same?
The series is the same as CoD, FIFA, Madden, etc. etc.
It's not meant to have drastic changes but rather be a safe buy for the holidays, something you know 100% what to expect.

Asuka3+1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 6, 2019
Okay but consider the 3DS hardware.

And then consider the Switch hardware.

And then consider we already have this:

Super-Mario-Odyssey-screenshots-gallery-08-11-2017-22.jpg

and then you see this for what is arguably an equally successful and big franchise:

OVGiHla.jpg

That's gonna be a yikes from me, chief.
but, one is a game made internally by Nintendo, the other one is a game made by Gamefreak (and is only made by em not for their pedigree but cause of iirc by contract all main games are locked to em) so yes. people expecting BOTW tier were just setting emselves up for disappointment.

gryvan

Brooklyn Rage
Oct 25, 2017
Please tell me this doesn't hand hold you to the 5th gym because that really turned me off the game...

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game looks like it's missing a lighting system

These games sell 10+ million copies per entry, where is the budget?

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
WHY THE FUCK ARE PEOPLE PISSED THAT RANDOM BATTLES ARE BACK.

ARE YOU PEOPLE SERIOUS.

I REMEMBER WHEN YOU PEOPLE WERE AFRAID OF LGPE'S INFLUENCE ON THE REST OF THE SERIES. YOU FOLKS WERE GOING ON AND ON ABOUT GEN 8 NOT BEING SOMETHING TRADITIONAL.

NOW HERE YOU ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT THINGS IN THOSE GAMES NOT BEING IN HERE.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

YOU PEOPLE ARE IMPOSSIBLE.
Different people, shockingly.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Every time someone says Nintendo develops Pokémon games, a fairy (Pokémon) loses its wings.

Gamefreak != Nintendo

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
From the trailer, it looks like we're getting tournaments and the return of gyms.

Day 1! Since my son will also want it, I'll be getting sword and shield.

Baby Bird

Nov 5, 2017
Region was the highlight for me. Seems pretty nice and varied!

I also like the names. Sword & Shield are much better than Crown & Scepter or King & Queen.

Now, the starters: first time I'm not feeling any of the three starters first forms. The bunny is the most disappointing for me, since the concept of a fire bunny is pretty cool, but the execution is terrible. Even worse is the fact that there is a fan art of a fire bunny starter that is MUCH better than Scorbunny :| . Well, at least I can see their final forms being pretty good.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
For the straight line people, y'all going blind or what? I can't map a straight line through that especially not the top half.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Art direction is great, though it reminds me of Gust's Atelier games

Level design has me worried

I can't not be disappointed that they would take some step backs even from Let's Go.

And lol at people thinking a controllable camera would strip Pokemon of its identity

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
  • Environment design: Nice, but a little cookie-cutter. Town was more promising.
  • Region: Boring
  • NPCs: WHERE?? WHERE THEY AT???
  • EXPLORATION: LOL
  • STARTERS: I SLEEP

Oct 25, 2017
I'm incredibly disappointed random encounters are back. Without Pokémon in the field this game world looks weirdly empty to me now.

Sonicfan1373

Nov 24, 2017
I am a bit disappointed that the game does not have a controllable camera and an open world. It would have also been nice to have a mix of random encounters and Pokemon visible on the map. I do hope being able to ride/fly Pokemon returns (although since the world is not as open as Let's Go, maybe this will not really work all that well).

With that out of the way, I am liking how this looks overall. I prefer the cell shaded look that Sun and Moon had, and this seems to be taking that art style further. I like how the environments look, and I cannot wait to play with old and new Pokemon again (for me the biggest issue with Let's Go was that it was limited to the first-gen Pokemon). I hope they let you ride Pokemon around like Let's Go, and more importantly, I hope they make the behavior of the NPCs more life like (as opposed to having them in a stationary position, walking back and forth in a straight line, or spin around).