• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why does everyone wanna remove random battles?

Its way better than literally grinding pokemon to process them into candy.

Goes against the spirit of the series.
Because it's "archaic" as in "not part of my AAA games", even though it's good in Pokémon's game design, makes everything faster and can be easily be avoided with repel.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
4Tm1AyG.png

"See these mountains.... anything you see in the world, you can't really go there. Also fuck you" - Game Freak

Pretty much. It's still the very same straight line this time with a little bit more eyecandy on the side.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
No roaming 'mon, battles still take place on a separate screen, attack animations still canned, random battles still in, graphics somewhere between meh and okay, still route based.

What a tepid, safe, disappointing home console debut.

It wasn't just me that didn't see much of a change compared to Pokemon' Go Evee.

Like the area/map is the thing that seems to have the most character to it. Colors are less muted than Evee.

Does feel really safe for a mainline pokemon game.

Honestly I feel the should have gone with something akin to Monster Hunter stories setup in terms of world stuff/and encounters.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Very.... uninspired. I feel absolutely nothing. The water one also looks like another Pokemon we had already seen before but I can't place my finger on exactly on which one.

Visually looks almost identical to Let's Go.

*shrug*, not what I was hoping for.

Oct 25, 2017
Sigh, random battles are back. The one perfect step forward with Let's Go is gone then. Not too surprised, just sad.

Everything else looks great so far. Maybe they could just include random battles as an option instead?

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019
Last pokemon I played was X, and I didn't finished because I found it too easy and the story was 'meh'

Are the new generations better than X? Or maybe these games aren't for me anymore, I guess?

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The logos are bland, the starters I don't really care about, looking more forward to whether the final evolutions suck or not.
The map looks really good.
Artstyle is so/so but it could have been worse.
Please go back to the gyms, was not a fan of the direction they went with fighting a pokemon type.

I kinda like the water type, seems like he'd have some cool moves that involve him/her hiding and being a nuisance.
Seems like there's a gym in the trailer though?

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Get out of your bubble, he is not the only one to want this.

It is the only disappointing thing of the Direct but the rest looks cool.

No, you get out of your bubble. Not everyone wants the overworld nonsense because it's a severe limitation on how difficult the game can be, and lord knows Pokémon doesn't need to be any easier.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Oh gee, i wonder why people expected huge leaps from a franchise that finally gets near HD development on a proper console.

This could've been a "BOTW breakthrough" moment, but again, pokemon fans buy every crap GF releases with the name of the brand so they have absolutely no incentive to innovate or do something different.

e9d.jpg

Great post, will read again.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Why does everyone wanna remove random battles?

Its way better than literally grinding pokemon to process them into candy.

Goes against the spirit of the series.

I guess since I disliked PLG this is why I'm happy?

Wow

If only there was some way... to split the difference

The lack of imagination in Pokemon fans absolutely astounds me

Oct 27, 2017
Looks pretty good. Not sure how I feel about random encounters returning, I really liked being able to see Pokemon walking around in Let's Go.

Also water starter for sure. So much better then the other two.

The one thing I'd like Pokemon to introduce would be a difficulty mode. I'd like a mode where Pokemon levels were capped in battle until you beat a gym (eg your Pokemon would stay at lv 10 when battling until you beat the first gym). I think that'd introduce some strategy during the main campaign (rather than just being able to raise your pokemon 5 levels higher than the gym leader's).

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes I wonder what people are even thinking these days when it comes to Pokemon. Feels like at this point Pokemon just isn't ever going to be for you again and I hate saying that because it implies GF won't ever change. But with the amount of Pokemon and how many people love the huge Pokemon count (how each generation appeals to a different subset of people) I'd say it's really silly to expect a huge visual change of the series in the near future.
GameFreak and Nintendo never do chase players, which get older, and instead always go for the next generation of kids. That's why, the series stays successful and older fans complain about them, not following there change in taste ... until they remake there nostalgic generation.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Don't speak for everyone.
You got your mediocre spin off games with junky mobile mechanics for nonsense like that. I'm sure you'll have let's go johto in a year or two if you want that decision that would only trivialise the games even more back.
Pokémon is fucking back people. Oh my god, we are going to fucking adventure through Pokémon United Kingdom, with actual varied environments, with Pokémon across the series, we are going to catch them all, with my fucking soccer bunny and battle in goddamn football stadiums

Fucking A

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, only just occurred to me, d'you think we got a rare 'okay for UK viewers' Direct time for once since it's set in the UK this time? Nice touch Nintendo!

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
The region feels like Valkyria Chronicles 4:

Start in a small countryside town with nice hills, go to a big city, then snow and then a huge capital.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
It looks interesting, but I wish they would stop the Red/Blue color choices for the logos.

Luis Pereira

Banned
Mar 26, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Continuous pattern of trolling
The Map is incredibly small, the graphics are shit, this could run in DS, all the good innovations in Lets Go abandoned, starters are garbage...

How could Nintendo accepted this shit?

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Good riddance. It was an awful change that personally pushed me away from the series. Not sure why this game should also get messed up with that poor mechanic. Hopefully, it's in another let's go installment for people who enjoy it, but it doesn't need to be the only option.
The poster said random battles, not wild battles. Wild battles should never be gone from the main series, but random encounters is such a terrible mechanic now that we've been presented with roaming Pokémon in the overworld, I don't really know why anyone would prefer random encounters over actually being able to see the Pokémon and going for the one you're interested in, plus it makes the world look more alive.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I swear someone posted the Sword / Shield names in here yesterday, did they really know or were they just joking?

For the logos it looks like the legendaries are gonna be very similar, I don't know how to feel about that. We'll see...

Overall, the footage we got, looks, good. But that's it, I was expecting a different feeling. I'm not complaining, just saying that, I think I prefer Let's Go textures. S/S look, too bright, I don't know what's the word, like everything is constantly under a super intense lamp. But I really loved the trainers, out of everything. They're literally the last thing I thought I was gonna like.

I just wanna see lots of new Pokémon, and I hope when they said "many" they said it for real.

Robo

Oct 27, 2017
Looks cool but also just seems like another Pokemon game to me, which I'm perfectlyt content with.

Second time in a row the starters haven't jumped out at me though. They really peaked with Froakie.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Really unimpressed with the visual and camera perspectives. Thought they're finally going to bring Pokemon to a new heights, but this just feels like a new coat of painting of a late 3DS Pokemon.