• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
Really curious international pokemon names are in spanish or spanglish:

Sprigatito means spring cat, so could we possible see seasons in the design? Like a cat eevee?
Fuecoco means "cocodrilo de fuego", fire croc.
And Quaxly is the spanish onomatopeia sound of ducks: "Cuac" and do not know about what ly means…

And the orange, 🍊 apart from valencia, it's Naranjito!

And grapes are from La rioja 🍇

Sprig not spring!

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
I fully expect a "one step forward one step back" here. Specifically, I'd be surprised if they keep the following (good!) aspects of Arceus:

1. Trainer gets attacked and damaged
2. Resource gathering and crafting
3. Real time catch without a battle
4. Leveling system that provides actual challenge

I'm guessing this will be an open world version of Sword/Shield with realistic proportions and seamless transition from the overworld into battle, but with the same battle engine. Of course all of the staple features, like gym battles, trainers, breeding, competitive multiplayer etc will be back.
1 is definitely gone given that the main characters are kids

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Duck with the hat is 100% going to evolve into some humanoid monstrosity like Intelleon. Avoid at all costs.

Leaning towards grass cat but the crocodile apple hybrid is endearing.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Also, I think we might have some hint towards Gyms for all the different types, given how the focus so much on this shot here with the different type symbols.

I really really really hope gyms are gone. Or at most a side thing. SWSH perfected the concept and there's no way to go but down. Also I'm simply tired of it and SM and PLA proved we don't need them.

ResetSoul

Banned
Jul 29, 2021
The protagonist's outfit changing with the game version makes me worried that they've completely scrapped trainer customization.

TrafficCoen

The Fallen
Feb 22, 2019
I'm going to be real with you, those starters look off. Like when people did fake pokemon designs and someone else would try and pass them off as Leaks.

Maybe they're better in game, but I really don't like any of them

RobbRivers

Jan 3, 2018
Can't wait to see some sick fan designs for the starters' evolutions only to be let down by the actual ones :P

In any case, I hope the cover legendaries are better than in Gen 8 this time around. I found them very boring.

I think it's actually "sprig" (essentially a twig) and not "spring", otherwise it would have probably been Springatito.

I want more seasonal Pokémons, though!

Oh! Yes! My fault! 😅

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Very interesting…i did not expect a gen 9 announcement so soon but I'm here for it

the world looks far more full and colorful Than the SWSH world which is fantastic, and the art direction looks pretty nice! Graphics themselves still kinda look like ass but there is progress on the world design which is great to see! Hopefully graphics get A bit cleaner before release? Dunno if thats possible.

Trainer design is kinda bleh…not very exciting. HOWEVER, i wonder if the trainer design is dull because there will be lots of outfit customization options in the game? A possibility for sure.

i have mixed feelings on the starters. i enjoy how different they are from previous starters but I dunno if they really have that "pokemon" feel to them, y'know? I do like the designs themselves though. Very interested to see how the other new pokemon designs look!

Also I SWEAR TO GOD gamefreak, if you make the grass starter have a biped 3rd form, I will lose my shit

Do we know who the director is for these games?? Is it Masuda?

e: i am on team Fuecoco for sure.

TheElderKing

Jul 31, 2020
I really really really hope gyms are gone. Or at most a side thing. SWSH perfected the concept and there's no way to go but down. Also I'm simply tired of it and SM and PLA proved we don't need them.
I disagree, at least partially. I don't mind if the game has an additional focus and main plot, it doesn't mean that gyms and Pokèmon league can't be in and coexist with it.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Very interesting…i did not expect a gen 9 announcement so soon but I'm here for it

the world looks far more full and colorful Than the SWSH world which is fantastic, and the art direction looks pretty nice! Graphics themselves still kinda look like ass but there is progress on the world design which is great to see! Hopefully graphics get A bit cleaner before release? Dunno if thats possible.

Trainer design is kinda bleh…not very exciting. HOWEVER, i wonder if the trainer design is dull because there will be lots of outfit customization options in the game? A possibility for sure.

i have mixed feelings on the starters. i enjoy how different they are from previous starters but I dunno if they really have that "pokemon" feel to them, y'know? I do like the designs themselves though. Very interested to see how the other new pokemon designs look!

Also I SWEAR TO GOD gamefreak, if you make the grass starter have a biped 3rd form, I will lose my shit

Do we know who the director is for these games?? Is it Masuda?

e: i am on team Fuecoco for sure.
Director is most likely Ohmori

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
The protags not having oval shaped eyes is weirding me out. I don't like it. Default outfits look shit too, but a new custom outfit will make things better.

Other than that, game looks great! This should get people to quit crying about not having their modern setting game.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
This looks great! Iberia is a fantastic region for a Pokemon game, starting mons are wonderful (Fuecoco!!), and you can immediately tell this team has benefited from prior experience with the system.

Interested in seeing how SV blends classic and Legends in its design. Funny that we're in a situation where Pokemon's BOTW just came out, and yet games were already announced that have the potential to be the "BOTW but with conventional dungeons" of Pokemon.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gen VII did version exclusive color variations for outfits. I could see that coming back in some form, but there's no way they cut character customization in this. Even LGPE and BDSP had outfit sets

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Another Gen 8 to Gen 9 comparison

2.jpg

9.jpg

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Yea i feel like this further confirms my head canon theory that sword and shield were originally just 3ds games that got ported up to the switch cause boy that jump is massive
Either that or they just upgraded and improved their game engine for better assets/textures streaming. Arceus was already an upgrade over Sword and Shield. However, considering the limited memory pool available for gaming on Switch, I wonder if there could be a technical bottleneck on their engine. For instance, BotW's and Xenoblade engine have easily better assets streaming and quality all around when compared to Arceus and those games are 4+ years old. I feel Game Freak is just way behind in terms of tech. I am under the impression that TPC or Nintendo aren't offering more budget to revamp that part which they (Game Freak) have been lacking for a while.

Another Gen 8 to Gen 9 comparison

2.jpg

9.jpg
Maybe it's just me, but I much prefer they shaders they used for the Pokemon in Sword/Shield than Gen 9's.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, I think we might have some hint towards Gyms for all the different types, given how they focus so much on this shot here with the different type symbols.

Screen-Shot-2022-02-27-at-4-20-25-PM.png
there's a battle field in the center. maybe this solves the issue with pokemon scale and some spaces by having stuff like gym battles be outside
Gen 8 sure as hell didn't perfect them. the concept was great, but the implementation was pretty ass.
The protagonist's outfit changing with the game version makes me worried that they've completely scrapped trainer customization.
that makes, literally, no sense. seriously

Oct 27, 2017
So I am in my forties and have never played a Pokemon. Just a little after my time. I recently learned they're basically a regular-ass jrpg and am kinda interested.

I saw my future son-in-law playing Arceus a few weeks back and it looked neat.

Is there too much bullshit going on now to start? Where do I start? Is Arceus a good place or is it too different? Basically, is this going to play like Arceus? Or are they entirely different types of games?

TheElderKing

Jul 31, 2020
I'd say agewise, the new MC look the same as the MC in SM. SwSh's and PLA looked older, and the latter were definitely older then 10 officially (although conveniently *really* short).

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I miss the cel shading and the trainer model looks a bit off, but everything else is a major step up, and that's even more impressive considering SwSh used a separate environment for battles and SV happens in the overworld.
Yeah I agree, losing cel shading is sad but technically speaking this is an objective improvement

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
If there is a new battle gimmick (I hope not) I wonder if the wheel with all the Pokémon types is a clue?

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
It's based on Spain? They're going to go crazy with the slang in the Spanish localization, aren't they?

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
So I am in my forties and have never played a Pokemon. Just a little after my time. I recently learned they're basically a regular-ass jrpg and am kinda interested.

I saw my future son-in-law playing Arceus a few weeks back and it looked neat.

Is there too much bullshit going on now to start? Where do I start? Is Arceus a good place or is it too different? Basically, is this going to play like Arceus? Or are they entirely different types of games?

You can safely jump in wherever, the games are self contained. If you prefer traditional top down 2D gameplay RPGs, start with Let's Go or BDSP, if you want a traditional RPG but in 3D perspective, go with SwSh (they're kinda ass, though), if you want an open world exploration focused RPG with slight touches of action, go with Arceus.

Hell, just go with Arceus, it's the best Pokémon game in a long long time. It will be clear for you what's the magic of Pokemon when you play it regardless of age, while in the other entries you kinda had to be there as a kid.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Outside of the trainer designs, my only other complaint so far is the Pokemon they showcased. Besides Seviper, we just had like all of these guys in the last few games. I hope they prioritize Pokemon that haven't shown up on the Switch RPGs yet.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
For anyone worried about the lack of routes, they will still be in the game. One of the early areas appears to be completely open, but upon closer inspection you can see there's very much an intended direction and route to follow. This route on the right side of the image (probably one of the earlier ones in the game) wraps around the windmills and goes downhill, with a Pokemon Center at the bottom (presumably because you'll be fighting trainers along the way).

OUh9jSQ.png

And here's a battle the player has while following the path down to the Pokemon Center -

Screen_13.jpg