• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What will the next big project be?

• Tencent Switch / mobile game

Votes: 283 20.8%
  • Let's Go Gen 2

Votes: 446 32.7%
  • DP Remakes

Votes: 308 22.6%
  • Detective Pikachu 2

Votes: 114 8.4%
  • New spin-off for Switch

Votes: 124 9.1%
  • Pokkén Tournament 2

Votes: 41 3.0%
  • Clearly Poképark 3

Votes: 46 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Looking around on YouTube, found this. It's a bootleg PokéMOBA. Just for an idea of what it can be.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I definitely don't agree on Let's Go Johto being up before Crazy Diamond and Jammin' Pearl. DP are older than HGSS, which would break the pattern or remaking the oldest core RPG at the time (RB -> GS -> RS -> FRLG -> DP -> HGSS)

Evan

Oct 27, 2017
i can't imagine they'd tease a mobile game. Has to be let's go 2, which hopefully means gen 2.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
After the letdown of Sword/Shield, I'm gonna be super letdown if this is another Let's Go game and not a Diamond/Pearl remake. Pleas Game Freak, pull me back in.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I understand that people want D/P Remakes, but I'd rather they have an extra year and then announce it early next year instead of announcing it next week.

Jun 5, 2018
After the letdown of Sword/Shield, I'm gonna be super letdown if this is another Let's Go game and not a Diamond/Pearl remake. Pleas Game Freak, pull me back in.

After what sword and shield took gamefreak to there current limits and including dlc I have doubts they even have the manpower required to have been working on another main series game at least not to the point when I would expect one before 2022.

With let's go the assets could be reused fairly easy though if they don't improve on the first one it's probably not going to be worth it.

Jun 5, 2018
Please no mainline Pokemon game for 2020. That would mean a short development time, and no one wants that.
The dlc wouldn't sell well this winter if they also released another main series game, if one is announced it won't be released earlier than 2021 unless they've been working on it for a while (doubtful).
What the series needs is a break and at least three years + development time but I doubt that's going to happen.

PaultheNerd

Dec 25, 2018
If it's just the tencent game I feel like either this game is going to be insane and probably have some really interesting functionality with other Pokémon products, or there will be more than just the mobile game. I get it that the day after Tencent will be showing off some new stuff but to dedicate a whole other presentation by TPCi for just one mobile project seems excessive imo. They might go into Pokémon Sleep or Detective Pikachu as well; or, and yes this is me being hopeful, they'll do a verbal confirmation of their next mainline game for next year like they did at E3 2017. A nice "we are preparing remakes for Diamond and Pearl for 2021, stay tuned for more news next year."

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it will be Sinnoh remakes, those are probably for next year if they exists, probably Let's Go 2 because of the hints, Detective Pikachu or the Tencent game.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Looking around on YouTube, found this. It's a bootleg PokéMOBA. Just for an idea of what it can be.

I wasn't familiarized with this MOBA term, but that's close to what I've always wanted.

Pokémon Rumble would've been so much fun to me if the Pokémon didn't look so bad in that toy version, but something like this, with the Pokémon looking how they really are, would be awesome.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I still dream of the day we get some kind of platform, adventure game à la Super Mario Bros, but with Pokémon. Even if we could only play as Pikachu (but of course it would be better if we could play as other Pokémon too).

And the ultimate dream would be a Super Smash Bros. kind of game, but only with Pokémon fighters. I was never able to fully understand Pokken lol though I like how it looks like.

Feb 21, 2018
I still dream of the day we get some kind of platform, adventure game à la Super Mario Bros, but with Pokémon.

And the ultimate dream would be a Super Smash Bros. kind of game, but only with Pokémon fighters. I was never able to fully understand Pokken lol though I like how it looks like.
Yep, a 3D platformer or open world would be cool.
I have the same Smash Bros dream and hated Pokken but luckily there's a pretty good amount of Pokémon available in Smash.

Jun 5, 2018
Post writing note: welcome to my thesis on next weeks event, the last paragraph is a somewhat tldr I don't blame you if you skip to that.

I don't want to post here too often and also don't want to hype myself up for a game that may not get announced next week however, i did recall something back when let's go was just a rumour with a dodgy April fool's screenshot and rumoured title.

It wasn't the press conference that sold me on its likelihood but the gamefreak YouTube videos where they mentioned the saying let's go which maybe wasn't intentional but at the time made me believe the rumour.

As of now we don't have any of that, I do believe gamefreak could of set the background deliberately to subconsciously think about gen 2 and let's go what with not only the gen two Pokemon but a gold and silver sandshrew and lapras and slowpoke as well as the espeon and umbreonin front of the let's go eevee. While it's possible this was done only for the sake of a nice looking layout I do think it suggests they are at least considering it.

That's not to say they are necessarily ready to announce it however. I expect to hear about more than one project next week I simply can't Imagine them separating the news into two just because of the mobile game developer having there own conference a few days later if they wanted to do that why not just delay the one we just had?

I suspect the mobile game will be there and might even be the focus but on top of that I could see a gamefreak developed Pokemon game fitting quite easily.

This ended up being longer than I originally planed as a tldr summary I will say this I do believe gamefreak would their background as a hint towards a project in the same way I believe they hinted to let's go with their slogan, and I think it's worth considering why they wouldn't just delay the first Pokemon presents until next week if it's for the mobile game alone and whether this mobile game has to be the only project.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
I hope it's Let's Go Johto! Loved Let's Go Eevee, and Johto is one of my favorite regions!

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Post writing note: welcome to my thesis on next weeks event, the last paragraph is a somewhat tldr I don't blame you if you skip to that.

I don't want to post here too often and also don't want to hype myself up for a game that may not get announced next week however, i did recall something back when let's go was just a rumour with a dodgy April fool's screenshot and rumoured title.

It wasn't the press conference that sold me on its likelihood but the gamefreak YouTube videos where they mentioned the saying let's go which maybe wasn't intentional but at the time made me believe the rumour.

As of now we don't have any of that, I do believe gamefreak could of set the background deliberately to subconsciously think about gen 2 and let's go what with not only the gen two Pokemon but a gold and silver sandshrew and lapras and slowpoke as well as the espeon and umbreonin front of the let's go eevee. While it's possible this was done only for the sake of a nice looking layout I do think it suggests they are at least considering it.

That's not to say they are necessarily ready to announce it however. I expect to hear about more than one project next week I simply can't Imagine them separating the news into two just because of the mobile game developer having there own conference a few days later if they wanted to do that why not just delay the one we just had?

I suspect the mobile game will be there and might even be the focus but on top of that I could see a gamefreak developed Pokemon game fitting quite easily.

This ended up being longer than I originally planed as a tldr summary I will say this I do believe gamefreak would their background as a hint towards a project in the same way I believe they hinted to let's go with their slogan, and I think it's worth considering why they wouldn't just delay the first Pokemon presents until next week if it's for the mobile game alone and whether this mobile game has to be the only project.
when you mean the background, do you mean the background to the video of the Pokemon Presents? if so, that's not game freak, that's TPC (a minor thing)

also, I swear we did this exact thing before, where Ishihara was in front of shelving full of Gen 4 pokemon but nothing game of it

Jun 5, 2018
when you mean the background, do you mean the background to the video of the Pokemon Presents? if so, that's not game freak, that's TPC (a minor thing)

also, I swear we did this exact thing before, where Ishihara was in front of shelving full of Gen 4 pokemon but nothing game of it
indeed I do, as I say it may not actually have any meaning but at the very least it was consciously done.

Oct 28, 2017
Ive been more and more bitter about the insane Pokemon release pressure and how it's been making the games worse-made AND blander and how nasty I find the TPC marketing machine etc etc etc

I was happy they did DLC instead of another rpg this year

If that's actually not true and they have both the DLC AND another RPG *during fucking covid* I'm gonna have a fucking fit

Game Freak deserves the time and budget to actually make something without a goddamn yearly cycle

Jun 5, 2018
Ive been more and more bitter about the insane Pokemon release pressure and how it's been making the games worse-made AND blander and how nasty I find the TPC marketing machine etc etc etc

I was happy they did DLC instead of another rpg this year

If that's actually not true and they have both the DLC AND another RPG *during fucking covid* I'm gonna have a fucking fit

Game Freak deserves the time and budget to actually make something without a goddamn yearly cycle
Has it been proven that there's pressure to release yearly? I too believed that but earlier today I tried to make this argument but couldn't prove that tpc was responsible.

Oct 28, 2017
Has it been proven that there's pressure to release yearly? I too believed that but earlier today I tried to make this argument but couldn't prove that tpc was responsible.
I mean, it's not like Japanese companies are known for their tramsparency, but I think it's hard to argue against that Game Freak moves at the speed that TPC dictates for the overall franchise. there's literally no other way it can work when your revenue stream revolves around a whole multimedia juggernaut and a metric fuckton of merchandise that all happens in synchronized waves. Every piece has to be coordinated. There's no way in hell it's possible for Game Freak to delay a game less than one year out from release, and when there is a game almost every year...

Jun 5, 2018
I mean, it's not like Japanese companies are known for their tramsparency, but I think it's hard to argue against that Game Freak moves at the speed that TPC dictates for the overall franchise. there's literally no other way it can work when your revenue stream revolves around a whole multimedia juggernaut and a metric fuckton of merchandise that all happens in synchronized waves. Every piece has to be coordinated. There's no way in hell it's possible for Game Freak to delay a game less than one year out from release, and when there is a game almost every year...
I feel like it wouldn't be that easy as if gamefreak pushed back they wouldn't be able to do a thing about it.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
When its less than a year out then yea, theyre kinda stuck with the date they chose since every other part was moving around that date. That being said if GF said "hey we're gonna need 5 years till we get gen 9 out" then TPC will work around that.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
When its less than a year out then yea, theyre kinda stuck with the date they chose since every other part was moving around that date. That being said if GF said "hey we're gonna need 5 years till we get gen 9 out" then TPC will work around that.
Oh boy, if that happens, 5 years of SPINOFF Pokemon would be awesome!

That gives me a HIGH LIKELIHOOD of console Pokemon spinoffs that would make me enjoy them more.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
honestly a pokken 2 would be a match made in heaven for me but I'm kinda bummed Namco is working on Snap 2 instead. I don't think they'd work on two pokemon games at once and I think Harada is busy with Tekken 7 still. I'd honestly take Pokken 2 over a Snap 2 any day of the week, since Snap barely had any content or replay value outside of the funny ha-has of seeing pokemon act goofy.

I'm still on the fence on the new Snap, as I think now we should hope for a game with 200+ mons rather than the puny 70 something from the first game. Nothing less. Meanwhile a Pokken 2 would just be like the last game, slightly expanded and rebalanced to continue the competitive circuit the first game is still running on... Sooner or later, they'll have to do something new with Pokken after all if they wanna keep that up.

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like it wouldn't be that easy as if gamefreak pushed back they wouldn't be able to do a thing about it.
I'll just say that I'm highly unconvinced that GF holds more power in the relationship than TPC. TPC is the rich company with all the money, comparatively

(and while this is personal and subjective I feel like nearly all the games in the past while have been showcasing all the hallmark signs of a developer being rushed by the people bankrolling it)

To be clear I'm also coming at this from a biased viewpoint where I view yearly releases as a cancer that kills video game series as a rule, so, by all means, take my takes with a grain of salt

If it was empirically provable I would put money down on TPC having GF beholding far more to their will than the other way around though

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Lets go gen 2 would be fantastic, Gen 2 had such a special feeling with day and night

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
TPC is the rich company with all the money, comparatively
Hmmm, TPCi contracting out Game Freak, a contract-based game developer, to make mainline Pokemon games, sounds reasonable.
I hope it's something out of left field. Pokeware: Pokemon X Warioware

The New Pokemon Snap is a bit closer to the left field, considering how long it took to get a sequel. But this also tells me, dormant IPs may get a chance 20 years later for a sequel or next iteration.

Jun 5, 2018
Oh boy, if that happens, 5 years of SPINOFF Pokemon would be awesome!

That gives me a HIGH LIKELIHOOD of console Pokemon spinoffs that would make me enjoy them more.
If they want to make more GOOD mystery dungeons, conquest sequels, colosseum and xd successors, rerelease at least the first 3 generations on the switch and what ever else they can think of I'll be happy to wait 4-5 years for the game that puts Pokemon on the map as a game not just a series.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I want it to be Gen 4 remakes just so that it isn't Let's Go Johto.

Really, though, I just want Gen 4 remakes. I want them to be based on Let's Go's style and world design (but with actual wild battles). I don't need Sw/Sh's world design methodology applied to remakes of Gen 4 games. Just straight up Gen 4 remakes. I could see that being well within Game Freak's ability to create. Maybe throw OR/AS flight mechanics in there or whatever, but don't try to Sw/Sh-ify Gen 4 when those games don't really need it.

Jun 5, 2018
I want it to be Gen 4 remakes just so that it isn't Let's Go Johto.

Really, though, I just want Gen 4 remakes. I want them to be based on Let's Go's style and world design (but with actual wild battles). I don't need Sw/Sh's world design methodology applied to remakes of Gen 4 games. Just straight up Gen 4 remakes. I could see that being well within Game Freak's ability to create. Maybe throw OR/AS flight mechanics in there or whatever, but don't try to Sw/Sh-ify Gen 4 when those games don't really need it.
What I want is more choices for difficulty, let us decide if we want the xp share or what method or wild battling we want.

I'll just say that I'm highly unconvinced that GF holds more power in the relationship than TPC. TPC is the rich company with all the money, comparatively

(and while this is personal and subjective I feel like nearly all the games in the past while have been showcasing all the hallmark signs of a developer being rushed by the people bankrolling it)

To be clear I'm also coming at this from a biased viewpoint where I view yearly releases as a cancer that kills video game series as a rule, so, by all means, take my takes with a grain of salt

If it was empirically provable I would put money down on TPC having GF beholding far more to their will than the other way around though

Believe me I'm not a fan of the recent games myself though I am giving them another chance as I didn't end up finishing the last three and do think more development time would help but I don't think it's all that simple a matter for tpc to effect.

I doubt they've ever had major issues with gamefreak if they do have any sway or cracks would of shown from the development team.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
GF literally owns 1/3rd of TPC. TPC does nothing other than manage the IP in regards to anything but the games since thats what that 1/3 gives GF.

In this case its entirely self inflicted since GF refuses to staff up properly for HD development.

Status
Not open for further replies.