• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
What are the chances I get I rescued on the final floor of the last story dungeon on day 2...

giphy.gif

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
About to start this when I get home and I have some questions.

can your player character evolve?

who is the best character to play as?

If I pick pikachu what is a good partner?
1) yes after you beat the main story
2 + 3) all of them are quite good, Eevee has some movepool issues around halfway thru the story

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. The QOL improvements are game changing lol. Simple things that just speed up the game.

my only complaints so far are

-the lack of standard non PP usage attack the original games had
-auto saving everything.
-input lag? might be me but sometimes it doesn't feel responsive.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
can your player character evolve?

Yes, but it'll take awhile to unlock, it's not like the mainline games where it happens automatically once you reach a certain level.

who is the best character to play as?

You can't go wrong with one of the many starters or Pikachu I suppose, don't overthink it tbh

If I pick pikachu what is a good partner?

A Water or Grass type like Mudkip or Treeko sound good since it'd cover the ground weakness. Or at the very least, you'd probably want to avoid a Fire type starter regardless of what you pick so both Pokemon aren't vulnerable to ground type moves.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
The auto explore kind of makes this game play itself

Like most of the time I play this game is just spent watching Psyduck wander around for 13p and an Oran Berry

I could just not use it, but... I'd be basically doing the same thing anyway, so I just let it autopilot

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah autosave is annoying. I miss save scumming LOL.

I feel like the original game was designed for save scumming, at least for the main game, what with the checkpoints and how post game dungeons forced you to save before entering so you couldn't. The game throws a lot of essential items at you this time tho so it's whatever. Oran berries, elixirs and reviver seeds are everywhere.

Radline

Oct 28, 2017
Finally reached postgame, and hearing Sky Tower again was so pleasing. The final boss before credits was actually more intense than in the original.
Hyper Beam covering a direction is one thing, but Rayquaza having Twister which covers the entire room is cheap for a boss to have though.
Yeah, I remember the OG game being a massive pain because if you're partner died that would take to you all the way back to the start of the dungeon.
That's what I hated the most about the GBA/DS Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games as a kid, and I was so glad to discover that I could still fight despite my partner going down in Gates/Super (and vice versa).

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
And story done! Thank you the person who rescued me all the way at the very top floor of the dungeon lmao.

The story was as sweet and genuine as I remembered.

Yo Rayquaza destroying the star was sick.

Now time for postgame. I never got far into as a kid but I'll probably do it a lot more this time around.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
And story done! Thank you the person who rescued me all the way at the very top floor of the dungeon lmao.

The story was as sweet and genuine as I remembered.

Yo Rayquaza destroying the star was sick.

Now time for postgame. I never got far into as a kid but I'll probably do it a lot more this time around.
How'd you feel about the final battle?

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
How'd you feel about the final battle?

I died once due to not realizing exactly how wide hyper beam was. I thought I had spaced them out enough and boy was I wrong. I always tried to keep him in a status condition state using orbs or seeds so I didn't see any other moves other than Hyper Beam and Extremespeed. I had Treecko with Dragon Breath and a Larvitar doing rock slide on it while, I as Mudkip was just using items. Once I was able to get a second shot it was a lot easier lol. It was cool though

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I died once due to not realizing exactly how wide hyper beam was. I thought I had spaced them out enough and boy was I wrong. I always tried to keep him in a status condition state using orbs or seeds so I didn't see any other moves other than Hyper Beam and Extremespeed. I had Treecko with Dragon Breath and a Larvitar doing rock slide on it while, I as Mudkip was just using items. Once I was able to get a second shot it was a lot easier lol. It was cool though
I got wrecked. I'm still trying. My team was mid 20s so I had to leave the tower to grind levels and items. If you aren't next to rayquaza, he spams twister, which hits the room and two shots all my party members, and he also has a trendancy to push you away from himself, often to the other side of the room. It's bullshit.

Rocky Road

Jun 1, 2018
Really liking the post game a lot so far. Some dungeons are making me flip a bit, but it's all still pretty fun. I don't remember if the original game let you stack any post-game quests but I've got like three going on at once right now and it feels cool to have a lot of non-linear variety open up after clearing the main story. Got my fingers crossed to find some new story bits and stuff not in the original. If there's anything teasing an Explorers remake, I'll cry tears of joy.

Also, I've been wondering, do we have a thread just for rescues? I dunno if it'd get a lot of attention or posts to keep it from getting buried, but it'd be a neat thread to have.

Is it true that now you recruit the legendary Pokémon with a 100% chance the second time you fight them in postgame? I kinda liked the RNG.

So far I've been able to recruit everything right after the second battle. In fact for post game bosses...
Kyogre asked to join me the first time I beat them.
Part of me somewhat misses RNG, but it's also less of a pain for some of the more demanding dungeons.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I got wrecked. I'm still trying. My team was mid 20s so I had to leave the tower to grind levels and items. If you aren't next to rayquaza, he spams twister, which hits the room and two shots all my party members, and he also has a trendancy to push you away from himself, often to the other side of the room. It's bullshit.

My main two were 30 and 29 and Larvitar was 25 (damn slow xp gains). The only way I could do it was defintely cause the item spam.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
I loved the OG games so i have many thoughts about this one. Played up until before the Caterpie rescuing mission,

-Losing the non PP consuming move is a significant problem, as now its genuinely difficult to reach like, floor 9 of Mt Silver without running out of moves.
-The game gives you access to big moves very early. You can buy Flamethrower after an hour of gameplay. However, this is somewhat countered by the fact that a super powerful move wont be of great use if you burn the PP too quickly
-The first boss was easier than I remember, perhaps because i torched them with 3 overheats
-The new commands that pop up to heal status ailments or to pick who to revive are great and the moment of a pokemon wasting all of your reviver seeds is gladly gone
-I miss friend areas :c
-Difficulty hasnt dropped as much as i expected! I had one or two struggles where i was like, kind of nervous. A powerful Rapidash almost stomped my shit!
-Im not sure how i feel about the increase in party members, it feels weird to know that I"ll be able to face Zapdos with a suicide squad of 7 troops
-I miss the old Makuhita dojos but maybe I havent tried the new ones enough

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Small detail that I didn't appreciate back then:

When you come back to Pokémon Square after the fugitive arc, you can talk to all the shop owners and they all feel sorry for what happened. Some admit to have believed Gengar while others thought it was a mistake all along. It's a cool detail.

Also, the cutscene that happens when Alakazam's team try to attack you was surprising.

Oct 27, 2017
Sky Tower and its boss music are so good. I forgot how good they were.

Anyway, I finished the main story. It took me ~12 hours and my part was level 28-32. The postgame is a real step up in difficulty. Besides the generally stronger enemies and longer dungeons,
you can't see enemies and items outside of the room you're in on the minimap anymore and enemies start awakening when they kill someone (never seen this in the main story, dunno if it's because I don't die often or they just don't do it).

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
I'm only at Mt. Thunder at 6 hours in, such a good game, I can tell in gonna stretch this way out. Psyduck with my Chikorita partner like I have been in every playthrough of the original ☺️

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
The Mt. Freeze music hit me like a ton of bricks, so memorable.

you can't see enemies and items outside of the room you're in on the minimap anymore and enemies start awakening when they kill someone (never seen this in the main story, dunno if it's because I don't die often or they just don't do it).

YES. I'm really glad to hear that.

Oct 27, 2017
Recruited an Exeggcute early into Howling Forest and it killed pretty much any enemy that came close with bullet seed and barrage coupled with the rare quality that makes all multi-hit attacks hit. Made the dungeon infinitely easier.

Now I need evolution crystals to evolve my main Pikachu.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Ah man I'm at Mt Blaze and its boss it's really kicking my ass. I have Bulbasaur and Pikachu and I can't go back to town at this point in the story so I'm fucked trying trying to get lucky with Sleep Powder or Thunder Paralysis. Any tips?

Edit: just beat it, got lucky with sleep and had linked Charge Beam and Thunder get back to back special attack boosts. Feels good.

Last edited:

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Where can you get evolution crystals?
Randomly in Kecleon shops in dungeons in post-game

You also get 8 every time you finish Buried Relic (99 Floor) and 5 every time you beat Marvelous Sea (18 Floor but you need to have beaten Mewtwo to get it)

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
6hrs in and I still haven't saved Metapod lol.

just been trying to recruit all the Pokémon that i can and raising my rank.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Randomly in Kecleon shops in dungeons in post-game

You also get 8 every time you finish Buried Relic (99 Floor) and 5 every time you beat Marvelous Sea (18 Floor but you need to have beaten Mewtwo to get it)

Do you know how many hours you currently have in the game? Just curious.

Also on Serebii the number of floors on Sky Tower is wrong. It's 34F, not 32F.

Last edited:

Radline

Oct 28, 2017
I went into one of the postgame dungeons for the first time just to get a job finished five floors in and get out, but I apparently ate two reviver seeds along the way. I'm level 25, so I definitely should slow down and raise my rank (I don't really plan on using Makuhita's Dojo still).

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody else feel like it is a huge missed opportunity that they didn't
swap Kantonian Ninetails out with the Alolan one? It being on a snowy mountain top is so perfect for it.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
How do I get my stuff back? I walked over an apple in a dungeon Kecleon shop and even though I dropped it, he called me a thief and killed my whole team. I got booted back to my base and lost everything.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
How do I get my stuff back? I walked over an apple in a dungeon Kecleon shop and even though I dropped it, he called me a thief and killed my whole team. I got booted back to my base and lost everything.

If you don't wait for a rescue, then you lose all your stuff that your brought in.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
Can someone tell me how far ahead is Horsea/Seadra? Im right now after Mt. Thunder and I want to know if its worth it to wait or if i should just grab a Poliwag and make them my water type

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
peeps, help a man out

Got the game begrudgingly on launch day, but have only just beaten mount steel before going into doing rescue missions for fun. I'm stuck doing them but I need to unlock more story to do harder ones, yet i don't feel motivated to do so because I'm terrified? Like, the original game saved and changed my life due to the story and how it was handled and the last thing I want is to go into the story and be pissed because they changed a key moment and made it worse or didn't fix a fatal flaw of the post-story. I'm more scared of the story being samey/worse than of the actual pain of the post-game story and how brutal a mandatory level reset dungeon will be. Could anyone who was also a megafan of the original story ease my pain, or tell me what to expect? Should I expect the Oath in Felghana style remix that I hoped and dreamed for? (Same outline, new events and areas that pop up before main plot points and plot points being majorly expanded. As a bonus, I'd like to know if
Mega Rayquaza appears in the final fight as I will scream if they didn't make him his mega form. Does he at least do that in the post-game when recruiting him?
since that's a huge, common-sense modern update for me to want.) Or is, like up to Mount Steel/Sinister Woods, it's just the same old thing, dialogue and all with some camera changes and OK models, with the gorgeous art style to try and make it feel fresh

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
peeps, help a man out

Got the game begrudgingly on launch day, but have only just beaten mount steel before going into doing rescue missions for fun. I'm stuck doing them but I need to unlock more story to do harder ones, yet i don't feel motivated to do so because I'm terrified? Like, the original game saved and changed my life due to the story and how it was handled and the last thing I want is to go into the story and be pissed because they changed a key moment and made it worse or didn't fix a fatal flaw of the post-story. I'm more scared of the story being samey/worse than of the actual pain of the post-game story and how brutal a mandatory level reset dungeon will be. Could anyone who was also a megafan of the original story ease my pain, or tell me what to expect? Should I expect the Oath in Felghana style remix that I hoped and dreamed for? (Same outline, new events and areas that pop up before main plot points and plot points being majorly expanded. As a bonus, I'd like to know if
Mega Rayquaza appears in the final fight as I will scream if they didn't make him his mega form. Does he at least do that in the post-game when recruiting him?
since that's a huge, common-sense modern update for me to want.) Or is, like up to Mount Steel/Sinister Woods, it's just the same old thing, dialogue and all with some camera changes and OK models, with the gorgeous art style to try and make it feel fresh

I believe he does go Mega in the post game. The story is pretty much what I remember? It's been a long ass time since I played it but it all felt somewhat familiar. I don't think they changed anything other than the cutscenes being way more involved. What was a total flaw to you?

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
If you don't wait for a rescue, then you lose all your stuff that your brought in.

It never even gave me the option to rescue them. I just got booted out of the dungeon and into a cutscene.
I'm pissed that I lost one of my power bands. Don't walk over Kecleon's stuff if you don't have any money because even if you drop it he'll shank you.
Kecleon is a jerk.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I can't stop thinking about the Explorers games because of this remake now lol. It's almost frustrating.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Legendary Pokemon always had a 99.9% recruit rate in the original game. The only "exception" was Mewtwo, and that was because it was a requirement to do his dungeon twice. He still had a 99.9% rate.

EDIT: forgot about the birds, they did not.
Can you recruit strong foes at any point in the game? Without the Friend Bow?
Yes, it seems like they adjusted the recruit rates. I managed to get an Ariados and Manectric far earlier than I should have. I don't even think I had the friend rate ability either (I ditched it on my Meowth for Wary Walk).