• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
- I try to always bring the following items into a dungeon with me: 2-3 Apples, 2-3 Oran Berries, a Max Ether/Elixir, a status recovery berry/seed, and depending on the dungeon a resurrection seed and Escape Orb. They're not required items by any stretch, but I always like to keep things safe.
- Once you're freely able to enter dungeons, you can set your partner AI to focus on following you, gathering items, etc. Make sure to edit that in the pause menu so you're not shocked when they rush towards an enemy.
- Certain Pokemon in dungeons are able to go through walls/cross lava/water, and depending on the angle this means your attacks will miss if they aren't projectiles, so be wary of your surroundings at all times.
- Blast Seeds are your friend when it comes to bosses.
Very useful thank you very much!

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Any legendaries that have a mega/Primal appear to be two-phase fights now. Friend of mine got to Kyogre, beat them, and THEN they went Primal.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Since the game is out now can I get a confirmation that transferring a demo save doesn't give you any bonuses?

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Since the game is out now can I get a confirmation that transferring a demo save doesn't give you any bonuses?
i didn't get any bonuses in addition to what i earned while playing the demo

EDIT: lemme just clarify that lol. all of the progress I made/items gained/levels earned, all transferred over. I didn't get any sort of "thanks for playing the demo, here have this" bonus

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The Pokemon channel just uploaded some music tracks from the original games.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I finished the fugitives arc and now heading onwards!
Also the gold coins just came in so now I can get me Animal Crossing.

BigTime_2018

Dec 31, 2018
The gameplay loop is pretty satisfying; I've mostly been doing Bulletin Board jobs instead of progressing through the story.

Edit: It seems this was to my benefit. The game can get tough, so grinding to level up, get more items, etc. is really helpful.

Last edited:

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Reeeeeally enjoying it. The gameplay is addictive af, reviews be damned. It also looks really pretty and the small cutscenes are cute too.

Radline

Oct 28, 2017
The gameplay loop has been getting to me too; I'm going back to doing jobs to rank up now that I've finished the fugitives arc since you get slightly better-paying jobs after it.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Aww, the Pokémon talk like they do in the MD sequels

In the original MD, and only the original, every species had their own low HP and level up quotes, but it seems they're just using generic ones like later games used

Oh well

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
Cubone with gold dojo tickets, xp boost, and boomerang is a pretty wild combo. Did 3 gold dojos and went from level 22 to 40 lol

bibs

Oct 27, 2017
They really should have released the game last month, releasing it so close to Animal Crossing doesnt give it much space to breath. I suspect this game will fly under the radar for most people bar hardcore fans.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
I'm enjoying this so far, the graphics and soundtrack are really good, but there are two things in particular that annoy me:

1. Why can't you stop your partners from throwing Gravelrocks when you set them to ZL+ZR? Why would they do that? Am I supposed to believe no one on the dev team got annoyed watching their partner trickshot enemies 5 miles away every single step of the dungeon to waste all your rocks? I don't remember the original game doing this.

2. I don't like that you can see exactly where items and enemies are at all times. I feel like that removes a lot of challenge of the original. You didn't know what was lurking around the corner, you didn't know if it was worth it to check out the rest of a floor to find some rare loot. They might as well show you where the stairs are at this point. I'm hoping the strength of the enemies has been increased to make up for the fact that you can always get the jump on them.
Yeah the Gravelrock ZL ZR thing is so annoying. I just want to use it. I don't want all my teammates chucking them the moment they sense someone's presence.
Cubone with gold dojo tickets, xp boost, and boomerang is a pretty wild combo. Did 3 gold dojos and went from level 22 to 40 lol
That sounds busted

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
To anyone who`s at the postgame...
Are you able to walk around town as any Pokemon like in the original?

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Yeah I don't intend on even touching the Dojo.

Anyway, I gave munchlax an apple and the fucker didn't even join my team. Just a munch belt as always.
A munchlax symbol has appeared in the menu.

I'm heading to magma cavern soon.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I love the new gameplay loop of recruiting Pokémon throughout a dungeon, whether you've got their area or not. Has a really nice, building a posse feeling to it, and incentivises raising cash and carrying Wigglytuff orbs.

Couple that with my Treecko having the rare skill that makes it more likely to recruit the more team members you have, and I'm picking up four or five new team mates every time.

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Magma Cavern hits with a pretty considerable difficulty spike.
Feels like the game is hitting super levels of difficulty now...

Until I recruted a Macargo, who is stomping anyone who looks at the team funny.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I love the new gameplay loop of recruiting Pokémon throughout a dungeon, whether you've got their area or not. Has a really nice, building a posse feeling to it, and incentivises raising cash and carrying Wigglytuff orbs.

Couple that with my Treecko having the rare skill that makes it more likely to recruit the more team members you have, and I'm picking up four or five new team mates every time.

Also my Mudkip has that rare skill. Is it possible that the main Pokémon always has that skill, so that it is easy to recruit other members?
Now I have just recruited an Hitmonlee at level 20, while my team is around level 14. I must decide if to use it for Sinister Woods or not: on one side it would ease the final battle (which I remember not to be so easy), on the other side the dungeon itself maybe becomes too easy.

OP
OP
iFirez

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England

Where do you get more Wigglytuff orbs from? I don't have any left and can't find them in stores anywhere.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My only experience with Mystery Dungeon was with Chocobo Every Buddy last year (yes, I'm very late to the party), and I fell in love with Rescue Team DX.

5 hours in, I'm completely hooked by the gameplay loop. What a charming game and nice OST.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Loving this more than I expected, it really is capturing the feel of what I remember the originals to be. Love how you can tell the devs have respect for the classic roguelikes with similar QoL and fast clearing options. Went with Eevee and Psyduck and don't regret my decision, thought it might make the game a bit more difficult by Psyduck is pretty damn good as backup. I also love how fast you get freedom in this game, it's so refreshing, especially in a Pokémon franchise game. I fear that some of the changes may have made the game much easier but it does seem, like many true roguelikes, it's those one off "counter to you" hard encounters that can really wreck you.

Can you exploit the hunger system by switching leaders? I notice the other Pokémon don't seem to have their hunger go down. If nobody knows, I will experiment.

Oct 27, 2017
Moltres and Articuno were a step up in challenge, since you can't recruit anyone in that part of the story. Good thing I stocked up on blast seeds and wands.

Also my Mudkip has that rare skill. Is it possible that the main Pokémon always has that skill, so that it is easy to recruit other members?
Now I have just recruited an Hitmonlee at level 20, while my team is around level 14. I must decide if to use it for Sinister Woods or not: on one side it would ease the final battle (which I remember not to be so easy), on the other side the dungeon itself maybe becomes too easy.

I got that skill on my main pokemon on the first gummy I used, so maybe it is guaranteed.

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
So, this game is fucking amazing.
Second to Sky.

Honestly, the only changes I think need to happen to the battle system, if for them to rework the reviver seed system (This game allows for reviving after a team mate faints via the All-revive orb. Auto revive seeds are kinda busted and allways have been in the series)
And they need to rework the recruit system so it doesn't bust the game wide open in stages that allow recruiting.

I am absolutely already hyped for Explorers remake.
And I've not even beaten Rayquaza yet.

Edit: Oh my fucking god....
The Rayquaza fight has been racheted up to some obscene levels of bullshit

Last edited:

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loving this more than I expected, it really is capturing the feel of what I remember the originals to be. Love how you can tell the devs have respect for the classic roguelikes with similar QoL and fast clearing options. Went with Eevee and Psyduck and don't regret my decision, thought it might make the game a bit more difficult by Psyduck is pretty damn good as backup. I also love how fast you get freedom in this game, it's so refreshing, especially in a Pokémon franchise game. I fear that some of the changes may have made the game much easier but it does seem, like many true roguelikes, it's those one off "counter to you" hard encounters that can really wreck you.

Can you exploit the hunger system by switching leaders? I notice the other Pokémon don't seem to have their hunger go down. If nobody knows, I will experiment.
How do you switch leaders?

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
Do Pokemon level up while they're sat in the Rescue Team Camps? I'm sure my Weedle wasn't level 18 last time I looked

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Simple post-endgame question from me too:

Someone above said you can have your partner keep walking around with you post-endgame this time around which is great. Do they still give you the lil end of day pep talk "let's do great tomorrow too!" like they do during the maingame? I love the little friendshippy bits in this series so much, always hated finishing them when that stuff goes away.

OP
OP
iFirez

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Any easy way to get apples/food? I've totally ran out and have no way to deal with hunger and none of the stores sell them.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Made it to Mt. Thunder. I remember this being a bit difficult back then, so I'm going to take it slow and do a few missions first. Really enjoying this game.

OP
OP
iFirez

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I died because I had no Apples left by B9F of Silent Chasm :( I need a way to get way more Apples it would seem.

If anyone can assist my rescue ID is ghSMme=K8Fe

I got rescued by a kindhearted Japanese player, still no apples though.

Last edited:

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Kinda hate how fast hunger goes down compared to the original. I'm losing all my hunger in just a few floors. I know you can swap to your partner, but meh.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda hate how fast hunger goes down compared to the original. I'm losing all my hunger in just a few floors. I know you can swap to your partner, but meh.
Be careful to not push your partners, it makes hungry more fastly. If one of your teammates is in your path, use B and the left stick to swap places without pushing it.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I have zero clue how rescues work but any help? A Nidorino one-shotted me by using focus energy/double kick and then one-shotted Treecko by getting a critical hit with poison sting.

EShBvqLU8AIsmZP