• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pallo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm probably more excited for this than Sword/Shield at this time.
I absolutely love the focus on trainers and the journey with your favourite ones from all of the games. Let's hope the monetisation isn't too aggressive.

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
Footage is clean. Wish they actually explained how the gacha (if it exists) works though.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the write up!

I would imagine that when I pull the slot machine I'm hoping not just for a specific character but also for a specific Pokemon. Like I could get Red but with Pikachu instead of with Charizard? Or has that information not come out yet?

Based on what they've said, each character is tied to a specific Pokemon. However, usually in Gacha games, there are multiple variations of popular characters. Sometimes tied to events like halloween, christmas or summer, sometimes just special alternate or stronger (rarer) versions of the characters. This probably will happen in Masters at some point, although not at launch (but this is fairly standard, most games don't start with alts at launch).

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Here I thought Kris was dead in a ditch, but no, now she can team up with her mortal enemy Lyra. Wonder if we'll be able to do the same with Green and Leaf.

Action game hurts the hype, but gotta keep it very separate from the main games I guess. Hopefully there's still good depth in the actual battles and not just team building.

Oct 29, 2017
Pretty much. Also it allows them to add costumed/holiday/event units much more easily.

[Summer Misty + Psyduck] instead of [Reg. Misty + Starmie]
Sounds good enough to me. Was hoping the 'level' mechanics you tend to get in these games to offset getting the same thing twice would lead to evolutions or they'll have some form of evolving through XP but we'll see

Tu101uk

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Sounds good enough to me. Was hoping the 'level' mechanics you tend to get in these games to offset getting the same thing twice would lead to evolutions or they'll have some form of evolving through XP but we'll see
Sometimes with gacha games there are ways to upgrade the unit's rarity, but we'll see whether this game has such a mechanic.

Overall excited for a timewaster, I never pay money for these so hoping on whales to keep the game going for me, especially with the huge potential for alternates (Christmas, Summer, Wedding, Anime versions, etc.)

Oct 29, 2017
Sometimes with gacha games there are ways to upgrade the unit's rarity, but we'll see whether this game has such a mechanic.

Overall excited for a timewaster, I never pay money for these so hoping on whales to keep the game going for me.
I'm not averse to paying money, have dropped some on Dragonball Legends and Go. If the monetisation is cheap, not necessary and the game is fun then I'll jump in.

If a game is monetised in a bad way I'll almost always jump out.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
This looks amazing honestly. I'm really excited. It's gonna have online pvp right? Even against Ai?

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I'm actually a bit more excited for this than Sword and Shield. I've always wanted more focus on the trainers, because Pokemon has a lot of cool character designs and personalities that I've wanted to see come back.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I'm not that excited about the gameplay, because it's still a mobile game after all, but I love seeing all those trainers and their companions.

It's not the most spectacular graphics-wise, but this cartoonish style is the one I keep talking about in SwSh threads

02-en.jpg

I think that suits so much better the trainers, the Pokémon creatures, the franchise in general. I think that's the path the main games should've followed (obviously much more polished) instead of trying to go for the hyper-realistic, which they don't even achieve, and if they did, wouldn't fit the Pokémon.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not that excited about the gameplay, because it's still a mobile game after all, but I love seeing all those trainers and their companions.

It's not the most spectacular graphics-wise, but this cartoonish style is the one I keep talking about in SwSh threads

02-en.jpg

I think that suits so much better the trainers, the Pokémon creatures, the franchise in general. I think that's the path the main games should've followed (obviously much more polished) instead of trying to go for the hyper-realistic, which they don't even achieve, and if they did, wouldn't fit the Pokémon.
Oh no, that's how Rosa is huh

Cryxok

Oct 27, 2017
México
The trailer showed way more characters than I imagined.
Color me hyped!
(Bummer Grimsley has a Liepard instead of Bisharp tho)

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Man, this game is going to be dangerous for me. Can't wait to play it. Need to get my boy Blue for sure, and then whoever has a Blastoise.

Pallo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how the selection of your avatar partner Pokémon will work and if you'll be able to evolve them.
As a Raichu fan the worst feeling in the world is to end up stuck with a Pikachu that refuses to evolve...

Cryxok

Oct 27, 2017
México
you'll probably be able to roll for one. they'll get your money one way or another

Who, other than Grimsley, could have a Bisharp tho? He doesn't seem as popular to get alts early on either. Only hope is for Alola!Grimsley to be added soon-ish I guess.

I wonder how the selection of your avatar partner Pokémon will work and if you'll be able to evolve them.
As a Raichu fan the worst feeling in the world is to end up stuck with a Pikachu that refuses to evolve...

I know the feeling bro. We Raichu fans need to stick together! (at least Lt. Surge with a Raichu should be a safe bet)

BradenAndEggs

Jan 8, 2018
I wonder if they will work in events with anime art for characters or like Pokemon Adventures manga art for certain trainers. Would be fun.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Thorton & Bronzong are not what I figured would be in the launch line up but...sure, okay.

Who, other than Grimsley, could have a Bisharp tho? He doesn't seem as popular to get alts early on either. Only hope is for Alola!Grimsley to be added soon-ish I guess.
There's always the Shadow Triad?
Since we'll probably only get one of them since they're interchangeable by design, it would make sense to go with the pokemon they all share: Bisharp

BradenAndEggs

Jan 8, 2018
I think I I read that there will be 65 sync pairs at launch so the list in the press release might be talking about free characters recruit-able in the story?

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
We'll have our poke gacha at last, it made too much sense not to have it, but I never expected it to be about trainers, though you could say it's about their pokemon aswell.