• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Eintopf

Jul 8, 2018
UK

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I can't really justify the price, but I like the yellow joycons ont he limited edition switch so much that I'll probably get it anyway. Do I go for it now though or wait for Black Friday? I can't really see it getting much cheaper considering it's only just come out
I love the joycons, thought I'd hate the brown Eevee one but I don't

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Man they nerfed the final stretch of the game hard

Including the last gym leader which was already pretty easy and didnt need to be made even more pathetic

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
Surely Archer being in this game is set-up for a Johto Let's Go game? I don't really see the point in it aside from setting him up as the primary antagonist in that.​

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
As a casual Pokemon player, I'm loving this game. I've only spend a ton of time /w the first 3DS game and played a little of the game after that. Despite being worried about that the simplification would mean for the Let's Go games, I'm having a ton of fun and don't even miss the exclusions. Its too early to tell for sure, but it feels like by the time I'm done, I'll actually prefer the Let's Go series over the last few mainline Pokemon games.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
The best place to farm Growlithe is between Celadon and Saffron, right? I got a 31 combo with Magikarp south of Fuchsia, then went up here. Been trying to get a shiny Growlithe for like half an hour now and nothing.

Telpis

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
This game is so much fun but Onix scares the crap out of me when he appears I'm in Rock Tunnel lol

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Just to verify - there is no reason to chain over 31 correct? At least for the purpose of a shiny, for which additional chained Pokemon do not increase the odds as far as I'm aware. I just keep seeing people talk about their much larger chains.

I keep reading elsewhere 70+ gives you 5 and 110+ gives your perfect IVs

But some folks here are reporting anything over 30 doesnt do anything more.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Question... How do IVs work in this game? If I get a Pokemon with "OK Stats," what does feeding Candy do? Does Celadon's store still sell things like Protein and whatnot? Is it possible to lift up IVs with those, or is a Pokemon with OK Stats doomed to remain that way?

Sorry, it's been a long time since I've cares to look into IVs.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
That's it for this weekend. I think I played for about 13 hours total, which is a lot for the weekend and I didn't touch BotW nor Nioh at all these days. Ah man... Smash is so close too, my free time weeps as it won't be enough...

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I forgot how much content was in the original pokemon games. This is definitely the best version of R/B, but it also illustrates exactly how well designed they were at the time. The only problem I have with this game is the inane and poorly implemented joy-con catch mechanic, everything else is truly stellar. It's impressive that games that I played through so many times long ago can feel fresh, they really managed to recapture that "magic" feeling that brought this franchise into the spotlight the first time around.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
About how large of a combo are people beginning to see shinies at? I need a shiny psyduck.

I saw one at 30.

The key is to find a large zone with lots of Pokemon in the overworld. That increases your odds dramatically + you can stop at 31, it doesn't get better after that point. Using Lure is recommended too.

Greyvvolf

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
What's everyone's team and moveset for this game?

I want to power up Charizard, Blastoise, Snorlax and Dragonite but I'm not sure what moves to give them.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Experience gains in this game make no sense. At all. Either that or I'm missing something.

Here I caught a level 45 Magmar. Combo bonus, size bonus, and an excellent throw. 1,426 XP. Cool.

PLJMfBP.jpg

A few minutes later, I land a great throw, and get the combo and size bonus. Except now I'm getting double the XP despite making a worse throw with everything else staying the same.

qTE8W8h.jpg

And then I break the combo, so I don't get the combo bonus, but catch one on my first throw. Get it on a great throw and a size bonus. Suddenly I get a massive 9.0 multiplier without any combo bonus at all. And no excellent throw.

LC3RzIc.jpg

None of this makes any sense and it all seems entirely random.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw one at 30.

The key is to find a large zone with lots of Pokemon in the overworld. That increases your odds dramatically + you can stop at 31, it doesn't get better after that point. Using Lure is recommended too.
If you stop at 30 you won't be able to boost all of its stats by 200 with candy once you're done tho

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Experience gains in this game make no sense. At all. Either that or I'm missing something.

Here I caught a level 45 Magmar. Combo bonus, size bonus, and an excellent throw. 1,426 XP. Cool.

PLJMfBP.jpg

A few minutes later, I land a great throw, and get the combo and size bonus. Except now I'm getting double the XP despite making a worse throw with everything else staying the same.

qTE8W8h.jpg

And then I break the combo, so I don't get the combo bonus, but catch one on my first throw. Get it on a great throw and a size bonus. Suddenly I get a massive 9.0 multiplier.

LC3RzIc.jpg

None of this makes any sense and it all seems entirely random.

In terms of size bonus, there is a significant gap between the S/L Pokemon and the XL/XS ones. That might explain one part.

javac

Oct 28, 2017
Thats my experience too. I think it's a normal one actually.

It's cuz trainers give fuck all for exp in this game so it's hard to overlevel more than just a bit if you dont catch 500000 pokemon.

Like, the beginning is a joke though and thats why people call it super easy I think. It's not until later that the game suddenly catches up to you.

I'm actually having a similar experience to you, I'm not catching duplicate Pokemon and I'm not using my starter Eevee much, and I've had team members faint/need healing items quite often; Surge gave me a really hard time and I actually reset because I wanted my Charmeleon and Nidorina to get EXP. Meanwhile at this point in other games I'm destroying everything and never touching items.

And I'm having a great time! Not using your starter/chain catching really seems to make a big difference to the difficulty level.
Glad it's not just me! :) Thanks for the replies, can't wait to play more after work tomorrow! Maybe I'll take my pokeball with me...

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
At the third gym badge now. I haven't been using my Pikachu much and it really skewed the difficulty to the point where it's just in line or a tad bit harder than Yellow back in the day. I'm really enjoying my time with this.

Feels just like a mainline Pokémon game. I don't feel like I'm having any less fun.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm the only dark skinned person in Kanto, which feels really weird.

A lot of the NPC models aren't really diverse at all compared to previous games. This was a good chance for Game Freak to update the designs.

I've noticed that a lot of the Coach trainers have more ethnic names like Priya, the one in the route between Lavender and Fuschia, despite their models not being diverse. It seems like an attempt by NoA localisation of fixing things.

Folie

Dec 16, 2017
I found the difficulty to be quite fun in the end (just beat the elite 4). I never wiped but there were quite a few times in gyms or against tougher trainers where half of my team had fainted. I never really levelled much past the average levels of the pokemon I was facing, tended to avoid a lot of trainer battles and rarely did much catching grinding.

Eintopf

Jul 8, 2018
UK
It's surprising how much freedom they give you, even if it is a remake. I like how you can do Blaine before Sabrina and how you can deal with Erika before doing the Team Rocket hideout. I thought it would be much more on rails considering its accessibility. What's also great is that there's always a place to go if you don't know what to do in an area for the most part.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Living Dex update! I have every single Pokemon in all their forms/stages (inc. all Alolan forms) except for Lickitung, Kabuto (I have Kabutops), Omanyt, Omastar and Mewtwo.

I think I can get all those that I'm missing in Cerulean cave after I beat the Elite Four, which I'm going to do in the morning. (I heard fossils are hidden there too?)

Then I guess after that I'll probably put the game down with a full Box of all 151 + Alolan forms. I do have Meltan but Melmetal is insane requiring 400 candies but I might get that one day.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Living Dex update! I have every single Pokemon in all their forms/stages (inc. all Alolan forms) except for Lickitung, Kabuto (I have Kabutops), Omanyt, Omastar and Mewtwo.

I think I can get all those that I'm missing in Cerulean cave after I beat the Elite Four, which I'm going to do in the morning. (I heard fossils are hidden there too?)

Then I guess after that I'll probably put the game down with a full Box of all 151 + Alolan forms. I do have Meltan but Melmetal is insane requiring 400 candies but I might get that one day.

Congrats ! That's impressive.

Will you do some Shiny hunting after that ?

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I bought a Pokeball plus at Walmart today. I think I'll be returning it tomorrow. Too small, hurts my hand after a few minutes is gripping.

I might hassle Nintendo to give me a refund for this stupid game too. I figured the portable catching would use the touchscreen, but no, it's just the damn gyro. Something the Pro controller already has. These assholes literally already have the control method implemented, they just refuse to let us use it. Fucking unbelievable.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Why is Helping Hand in this game?

Why is Helping Hand a TM?

You can count the number of double battles in this game on one hand.

Was it added exclusively for co-op?