• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can I use the Pro controller to move around if I buy the pokeball thing? I was really interested in this game, but no pro controller is a dealbreaker. My Switch lives in a gripcase even when docked, it's kind of a pain to get the joycons off.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Can I use the Pro controller to move around if I buy the pokeball thing? I was really interested in this game, but no pro controller is a dealbreaker. My Switch lives in a gripcase even when docked, it's kind of a pain to get the joycons off.
There's no way to use the Pro Controller at all. Basically I'm only ever going to play this handheld.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know what pressing both Pokeball buttons does? Does a long vibrate or two short ones. Not sure what this is for.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Gen 4/2 was my favorite but I'm enjoying this a lot (aside from stunning out of anything but normal Pokeballs in Rock Tunnel, yikes) and I'm definitely enjoying it way more than Gen 7.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/83Xxbdb
What a life having Magikarp flop around behind me for 15 levels until it evolves.

83Xxbdb

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Added blurbs about local and online multiplayer, if I missed anything else please shoot me a message or @ me in here as this thread has gotten way too big to follow!

Thanks Lelouch0612 for pointing me towards the method for random online battles. :)

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's no way to use the Pro Controller at all. Basically I'm only ever going to play this handheld.
meh. Handheld is nice and all, but I only ever use it like that in bed. Half of my excitement for this was to finally have Pokémon on the TV.

What a missed opportunity. Damn, Nintendo.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lol wtf. Took Eevee for a long walk and came back and gained like 7k EXP and like 8 levels gained.

Meriadock

Apr 21, 2018
Brazil
Era, help me here..

Can I stay with my first pidgey (for exemple), 14 CP, and train him or he will never be strong? I like to stay with my first catch...

Shryke

Oct 26, 2017
meh. Handheld is nice and all, but I only ever use it like that in bed. Half of my excitement for this was to finally have Pokémon on the TV.

What a missed opportunity. Damn, Nintendo.

Just buy the pokeball accessory. I been using that and it works fine. I didn't want to unhook the side controllers for this.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else playing in Mobile mode instead of on their big screen just because of how uncomfortable the single controls are. if I could turn the controller sideways wouldn't mind it as much but it's a pain in the ass the way it is

JustJavi

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Anyone else playing in Mobile mode instead of on their big screen just because of how uncomfortable the single controls are. if I could turn the controller sideways wouldn't mind it as much but it's a pain in the ass the way it is

I've been playing it on tv with one joycon and find it really comfortable. I thought it was gonna take me a bit to get used to but nah.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind the one handed controls that much (I wish more RPG's had that option tbh), I just don't like the throwing motion. If docked let me play the same way as portable, just aiming and pressing A, I'd do that mostly, but the way it is I'm mostly portable.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
So I'm finding the gym leaders posing a decent challenge actually. I mean, they're super hard, but I've been wiped out by Misty and Surge a few times.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Damn, my joy con is acting up again. I never play detached joy cons and my right one either misses button presses or randomly disconnects. Any fix out there? is it just the interference of other electronics? No issue with it connected to the switch or when I use a pro

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
I beat Erika. She put up a decent fight.
Right after I was going back to Lavender Town, I saw a shiny Pidgeotto in the grass. It's my first shiny Pokémon in over 10 years. Last time I got one was in 2006 when I was playing Emerald.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Can you use that to play the whole game? I thought it was just for catching pokes.

You can use it as a regular controller. In my opinion, it works better as the single joycon because: with the joycon, you either have to switch your thumb from the stick to the buttons for performing any action (which is really annoying) or you press in the stick as an alternative to "A". The latter is also how the Pokeball plus works (the circle in the middle is a little stick), but due to how the round shape lies in your hand, pressing the stick feels way better to me than on the joycon.
Actually, i kinda hope they keep this control-scheme for Gen 8, even if this is probably very unlikely

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes you can use it the whole game. The white circle on the ball is a small joystick so you can move around. Once you get used to it, it works well.
Interest piqued!

*looks up price on Amazon*

Jesus. I don't want the bundle because I need the game digitally, so I'd be looking at about $120 with tax for this little Pokémon game.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
So how long do I keep the starter Pickachu in my roster? This is my first Pokémon game ever and I'm a bit insecure what to do with the Pokémon's I catch and how to sort out 6 for my fights. From what I understand this game is simplified compared to others games in the franchise. Though I easily beat Misty, I want to avoid running into endgame issues.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So how long do I keep the starter Pickachu in my roster? This is my first Pokémon game ever and I'm a bit insecure what to do with the Pokémon's I catch and how to sort out 6 for my fights. From what I understand this game is simplified and I beat Misty but I want to avoid running into endgame issues.
The starter Pikachu and Eevee are incredibly OP so you can keep it on your team forever. As for the rest of your team, just fill it with what you like and try to avoid any glaring type weaknesses.

the_korben

Oct 27, 2017
You can use it as a regular controller. In my opinion, it works better as the single joycon because: with the joycon, you either have to switch your thumb from the stick to the buttons for performing any action (which is really annoying) or you press in the stick as an alternative to "A".

You can also press RZ (or LZ) instead of A. Makes it a lot more comfortable. So that works ok.

Still, I prefer handheld mode for on the go. I'm just bummed that there doesn't seem to be any rumble in handheld mode. :(

Mar 8, 2018
Where can you catch Venonat in this? I'm going for a garden-themed team of just Grass/Bug/Poison/Ground types and Venonat is one of my faves.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Does the game get remotely more challenging? Playing the first few hours co-op with my partner it feels like we're just sat pressing one button and moving in between. 9/10 battles are first round finishes. I know Pokemon was never crazy challenging but it feels like we barely even have to care about any kind of strategy whatsoever.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
Finger hook is awesome for playing with the pokeball like a yoyo when you're an anxious mess like me

Also yes I straight up throw the ball whenever I get the chance

Mar 8, 2018
Does the game get remotely more challenging? Playing the first few hours co-op with my partner it feels like we're just sat pressing one button and moving in between. 9/10 battles are first round finishes. I know Pokemon was never crazy challenging but it feels like we barely even have to care about any kind of strategy whatsoever.
Co-op makes it a cakewalk. The first few hours are particularly easy. Best way to increase challenge is to use Set mode, box your starter, rotate your team often, and only catch what you need.