• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Paradoxes shown before launch or after?

• Before

Votes: 145 41.9%
  • After

Votes: 201 58.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not familiar with that but is there any difference between the two modes? As in, a reason why different ways to fight make sense or is it just an option for players?
I believe it's just an option, the turn based combat is presented as a "strategic mode" I think. The action combat is basically like sn elevated version of how some rpgs let you strike an enemy symbol on the field to gain some sort of bonus in combat.

One neat thing is that the main battle theme has two versions that play depending on which mode you're in.

youtu.be

Kuro no Kiseki [BGM RIP] - Open the Shard!

Music: Open the Shard!Composer: Shuntaro Koguchi? (Falcom Sound Team jdk)Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzFTGYa_evXjHwIE55C_Pcrb8KKwuFY7hPl...

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I believe it's just an option, the turn based combat is presented as a "strategic mode" I think. The action combat is basically like sn elevated version of how some rpgs let you strike an enemy symbol on the field to gain some sort of bonus in combat.

One neat thing is that the main battle theme has two versions that play depending on which mode you're in.

youtu.be

Kuro no Kiseki [BGM RIP] - Open the Shard!

Music: Open the Shard!Composer: Shuntaro Koguchi? (Falcom Sound Team jdk)Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzFTGYa_evXjHwIE55C_Pcrb8KKwuFY7hPl...

I see, it's interesting but kinda lacks the in-world reason of Pokémon where the trainer gives commands that can be seen as taking turns. It's a small detail that combines gameplay with setting which I really like

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
My fiancée can't understand why people are so in love with Voltorb though haha
Hehehe I can see why. To me it is because Hisuian Voltorb is such a happy being as opposed to the mad ball it was first presented as. Such a lovable new side.

Edit: "I can see why" was to tell that I can understand that feeling and not that I know why people like it.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
It also tugs on your emotions a little thinking about how happy it used to be and then knowing over time it became angry, probably due to humans mistreating it. Makes you feel bad for the happy li'l guy. :(

I wanna hug it even though I know it's gonna electrocute me from happiness overload. 😭

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
At present it's

Hisuian Growlithe
Hisuian Voltorb
Kleavor
Hisuian Zoroark
Basculegion
Hisuian Zorua
Hisuian Braviary
Wyrdeer
Growlithe being at the top doesn't surprise me, it was getting a ton of love everywhere. I did expect Zoroark and Basculegion to be higher as almost everyone loves those designs, but I guess they don't have the mass appeal that something like Growlithe would have

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Growlithe being at the top doesn't surprise me, it was getting a ton of love everywhere. I did expect Zoroark and Basculegion to be higher as almost everyone loves those designs, but I guess they don't have the mass appeal that something like Growlithe would have
1f9672ec97b3a25041d62fd88e5341800efbdaa4.jpg

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
I honestly wish GF would go back to the sun and moon style reveal season sometimes. The biweekly trailers were always great at keeping the conversation going and I spoil myself on all the mons going into a game anyway.

I guess complaints about them revealing everything were taken to heart, they went entirely in the other direction this gen. I hope they can at least find a happy middle ground in gen 9

Deleted member101505

User-requested account closure
Banned
Aug 18, 2021
SM reveals were great. Personally wasn't really affected by how much they showed. If I ever felt like they revealed too much or I'd seen enough I largely just stopped watching the ads and media coverage.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have to say, regardless of my thoughts on the graphics the UI in this game looks really slick. Damn slick. Whoever did it did an excellent job of making it clean, but not completely lifeless

I still wonder how trainer "damage" works, in the sense that there's no life bar. Do you just blink red increasingly fast before eventually passing out if you get hit too much?
This was IMO true of SwSh, the UI and the UX were pretty great.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
I hope we start getting weekly news in the leadup to release, obviously not something major every week, but a new pokemon every week would be cool. Plus I think we'll get an big trailer this month and then an overview trailer a week or two before release.

This coming week has the highest chance of having Electrode revealed on Tuesday, and if not some other kind of trailer on Thursday, that's my lock in.

t67443

Oct 30, 2017
SM reveals were great. Personally wasn't really affected by how much they showed. If I ever felt like they revealed too much or I'd seen enough I largely just stopped watching the ads and media coverage.
For me this is a concern that there might not be enough content to do biweekly reviews. This isn't going to have a large amount of new Pokémon and they've been pretty hush on new features.
So, there isn't a Hisuian Cyndaquil, right? Just a new form of evolution
Typhlosion is supposed to be Hisuian. Aside from that nothing else has been mentioned.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
So while we're waiting for news, I'm curious, what are everyone's top 5 gen 8 pokemon before the Hisuian stuff gets added to the pool?

For me its:
Dragapult
Corviknight
Falinks
Grimmsnarl
Frosmoth/Regieleki

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I honestly wish GF would go back to the sun and moon style reveal season sometimes. The biweekly trailers were always great at keeping the conversation going and I spoil myself on all the mons going into a game anyway.

I guess complaints about them revealing everything were taken to heart, they went entirely in the other direction this gen. I hope they can at least find a happy middle ground in gen 9
I doubt there are as many new pokemon/forms in this game as there would be in a mainline new gen game. If the leaks are anything to go by then most of the new pokemon and forms have been revealed already and i doubt there is much more to reveal gameplay wise, I think the slow trickle of news is pretty appropriate

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
I doubt there are as many new pokemon/forms in this game as there would be in a mainline new gen game. If the leaks are anything to go by then most of the new pokemon and forms have been revealed already and i doubt there is much more to reveal gameplay wise, I think the slow trickle of news is pretty appropriate
even if we go by the leaks we haven't even seen half of the new forms/pokemon

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
So while we're waiting for news, I'm curious, what are everyone's top 5 gen 8 pokemon before the Hisuian stuff gets added to the pool?

For me its:
Dragapult
Corviknight
Falinks
Grimmsnarl
Frosmoth/Regieleki
Corviknight
Carkol
Grapploct
Cramorant
Appletun

After having plenty of time to mull over this generation, I have to admit, it's my least liked batch of new Pokémon.
It's still solid but I don't jive with the starters, early route Mon, legendaries and feel like a number of designs were kept tamer in order to give the full gimmick to their gigantamax forms (mainly coalossal and the steel dragon)

Galar forms and evos were pretty consistent though

gardfish

Oct 25, 2017

For me its:
Dragapult
Corviknight
Falinks
Grimmsnarl
Frosmoth/Regieleki

1. Cursola
2. Toxtricity
3. Grimmsnarl
4. Appletun
5. Frosmoth

Special mentions to the Galarian legendary bird trio.

Very hard to pick these overall, Sword/Shield had some really excellent Pokemon designs. Easily the best set in a while in my book.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
Corviknight
Carkol
Grapploct
Cramorant
Appletun

After having plenty of time to mull over this generation, I have to admit, it's my least liked batch of new Pokémon.
It's still solid but I don't jive with the starters, early route Mon, legendaries and feel like a number of designs were kept tamer in order to give the full gimmick to their gigantamax forms (mainly coalossal and the steel dragon)

Galar forms and evos were pretty consistent though
Honestly its the opposite for me, Gen 8 has one of my favorite rosters(behind Alola), but I certainly get its not for everyone, plus Corviknight, wooloo, and Orbeetle rank among the top tier early route mon for me

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018

For me its:
Dragapult
Corviknight
Falinks
Grimmsnarl
Frosmoth/Regieleki
Falinks
Toxtricity
Dracovish
Grimmsnarl
Centiskorch

I really love Gen 8's line-up as a whole. Lots of great designs. Coalossal is the only big stinker.

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
Appletun is Pokémon perfected.

I'm glad Game Freak isn't spoiling their entire game like the Sun and Moon days.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Voltorb should get the Vivillion Treatment and have many different variants for all the different pokeballs in the game. One for each one.

jankuza

Jan 13, 2021
I would really like a "Mission walktrough" Trailer, where they show the Gameplay Loop more Detailed.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
Day before the part 2 of the stop motion, whats the over/under on a Hisuian Electrode reveal tomorrow?

riq

Feb 21, 2019
smh people preaching for the worst apple
Flapple and Cursola are cream of the crop.
This gen's designs were so good all around.

Shame Wooloo, Nickit and Swovet got stuck with trash tier evos.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
smh people preaching for the worst apple
Flapple and Cursola are cream of the crop.
This gen's designs were so good all around.

Shame Wooloo, Nickit and Swovet got stuck with trash tier evos.
Honestly Greedent has grown on me a lot, Him being in Unite and relatively prominent in the anime probably helped.

Bwooduhs

Oct 25, 2017
My top 5 Gen 8 Pokemon:
- Yamper/Boltund
- Wooloo
- Flapple/Appletun
- Cramorant
- Sirfetch'd

Damn this was actually harder than I thought, Sword and Shield had some bangers

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
1. Appletun
2. Nickit
3. Galarian Meowth
4. Greedent
5. Galarian Articuno
6. Falinks
7. Arctozolt
8. Galarian Ponyta
9. Dragapult
10. Hatenna
Dead last: Boltund/Entire Blipbug line. It's the eyes.

Heruderu

Oct 29, 2017

For me its:
Dragapult
Corviknight
Falinks
Grimmsnarl
Frosmoth/Regieleki

Centiskorch
Dragapult
Wooloo
Dracovish
Cursola

In no particular order… but maybe Cursola is my favorite.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
Appletun (still sad af that I missed out on the plushie)
Toxitricity
Obstagoon
Polteageist
Falinks

Despite not really jiving with any of the starter evolutions, this gen had a ton of mons I liked. Appletun and Toxitricity are easily among my favorite Pokemon designs of all time, and there were so many new mons I liked that I able to make a full team of them with no trouble.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
I think in order of most to least likely for actual news

Electrode in stop motion
Additional Electrode video simul released with stop motion same day
Tuesday Stop motion, Thursday Electrode reveal or full trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.