• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Choose your starter Pokémon:

• Rowlet

Votes: 607 27.9%
  • Cyndaquil

Votes: 1,079 49.6%
  • Oshawott

Votes: 488 22.4%

• Total voters

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I have heard some people saying the game runs poorly but so far, playing for over 12 hours in handheld mode, I have not had any notable drop, seems to be a decent 30fps. Does it get worse later or it is worse on docked?
Look at some of the Pokémon that are further away.
They are at like 2 FPS.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
On one hand I love that my dustox can use poison powder and turtle up with iron defence in the same turn, then start throwing out venoshocks. It's way more utility than you can get out of this dumb thing normally

On the other the action order thing is probably totally irreconcilable with trainer battles considering how speed is already everything, and that prediction is a fundamental basis of combat but is totally gone here. It's not that it's broken or lying, all of that handwringing was premature imo, but moreso that it may just straight up be incompatible

Prediction was only fundamental in how Pokemon used to work but not in Arceus.

To be honest its more like... in RPGs prediction is like... more trying to figure out what it has and how to adjust to that? Like players have lower hp but takes less damage while the opponent can have higher HP but lower defense and attack power to kinda balance it out, but thay isnt the case with Pokemon in either format.

in fact, MHS2 utilizes both of those aspects for PvE and PvP.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Hey guys,

Just a quick update on our maps (that you can find in the threadmarks), we've now updated it to include all of the Old Verses and all Dig Spots. Hopefully, it helps people looking for the Old Verses since I know it's been a popular request for us.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
Played a couple hours so far. I'll try it more later but so far I actually greatly prefer BDSP. Maybe I'll change my mind once all these cursed cutscenes stop, this is worse than Ultra Sun and Moon lmao

DinoBlaster

Feb 18, 2020
Played a couple hours so far. I'll try it more later but so far I actually greatly prefer BDSP. Maybe I'll change my mind once all these cursed cutscenes stop, this is worse than Ultra Sun and Moon lmao
To me the beginning is the worst part. The game doesn't simply let you walk around without interruption much until you get out to the first area, then you're home free.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Mentally running through a bunch of gameplay changes I would have made, it dawned on me that the game would probably work a lot better if it included Breath of the Wild's weapon durability. Temporary Pokemon, like in some of the other spinoffs. Pokemon "break" (return to the wild) after so many uses, either to gather materials or in battles.
How do I delete someone else's post

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
if your pokemon get KO'd too many times they should actually die like in SaGa

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
Mentally running through a bunch of gameplay changes I would have made, it dawned on me that the game would probably work a lot better if it included Breath of the Wild's weapon durability. Temporary Pokemon, like in some of the other spinoffs. Pokemon "break" (return to the wild) after so many uses, either to gather materials or in battles.
Let's expand on this with more ideas that will piss people off: if a Pokémon stays in the pasture for too long without being used it should auto-release itself.
If you're crouching and going down a rock face and you trip and make a noise, all nearby Pokémon should turn around, look at you, and loudly exclaim, "Wha' happen?!" Finally, the voice acting crew will get what they want.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Every resource besides bag slots can be found or crafted… bag slots are the only thing worth buying.

You can mass release once you fill capacity on 3 boxes iirc
OHHH, no wonder I didn't see it. I haven't beaten Kleavor yet, and I'm on Pasture 6.

if your pokemon get KO'd too many times they should actually die like in SaGa

That's going to require bumping the ESRB rating by 1 notch up.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Also, if you catch a lot of different types of Pokémon, random ones from your Pasture and Party should just run away because of incompatibility.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
No one really knows about this, or that this information is lost in previous pages.

You can get your Pokemon to have casual conversations with other Pokemon.

1. Throw your Pokemon on the ground near you. You will see a Pikachu icon with a music note. This icon indicates you want to speak with your Pokemon.
  2. After that, switch to another Pokemon and aim at the Pokemon already out of its PokeBall. This will also indicate with a Pikachu icon and a music note.
  3. After doing this, both Pokemon will have a chat.
  4. You can expand this into a group chat by having all of your Pokemon out in a general vicinity. This vicinity will always show a Pikachu icon and a music note.
  5. Eventually, you get to see:
    • 5 Pokemon berating a sad Pokemon.
    • 3 Pokemon laughing / merry at 2 Pokemon, while 1 Pokemon was indifferent about it.
    • All 6 Pokemon can be encouraged by pressing the Y button.
It does get a bit noisy, but it's fun to watch them interact casually with each other.

Funny how a Wurmple is casually chatting with a Starvaptor.

Going to experiment and see if it's possible to obtain items / PokeDex achievements just by letting Pokemon chat casually.

My Vespiquen and Mime Jr. engaged in a long conversation yesterday, and they wouldn't come back to their pokéballs until I started a battle with a wild Pokémon. I was like "COME BACK RIGHT NOW!!!"

Tidalwaves

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Let's expand on this with more ideas that will piss people off: if a Pokémon stays in the pasture for too long without being used it should auto-release itself.
If you're crouching and going down a rock face and you trip and make a noise, all nearby Pokémon should turn around, look at you, and loudly exclaim, "Wha' happen?!" Finally, the voice acting crew will get what they want.
The tripping thing already happens. If you go down an angle while crouching, you stand up which immediately alerts anything close enough that had you crouching in the first place.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Having your Pokemon be temporary would be a big bold idea that yes, lots of people might not gel with immediately but would fit the game they made. If they want you to catch 30 Starly there should be an underlying gameplay reason for that, therefore it follows that the game should need you to also use 30 Starly and not just catch them, but party size is capped at 6 so you need to clear out the first 6 to make room for the next 6 and so forth. Temporary partner Pokemon that you use for a bit and then release makes a ton of sense for the game they made. There are other Pokemon games that have used this idea as well.

Obviously you'd need some mechanics to account for people keeping their starter/shinies/legendaries, but I think it's an interesting idea. It doesn't even play that differently than how they've encouraged players to play this generation anyway, which isn't a core team of 6 but an ever rotating group of everything you've caught.

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
Having your Pokemon be temporary would be a big bold idea that yes, lots of people might not gel with immediately but would fit the game they made. If they want you to catch 30 Starly there should be an underlying gameplay reason for that, therefore it follows that the game should need you to also use 30 Starly and not just catch them, but party size is capped at 6 so you need to clear out the first 6 to make room for the next 6 and so forth. Temporary partner Pokemon that you use for a bit and then release makes a ton of sense for the game they made. There are other Pokemon games that have used this idea as well.

Obviously you'd need some mechanics to account for people keeping their starter/shinies/legendaries, but I think it's an interesting idea. It doesn't even play that differently than how they've encouraged players to play this generation anyway, which isn't a core team of 6 but an ever rotating group of everything you've caught.
I kind of agree with the basic notion of this. I can imagine a scenario were they introduce self-releasing. But they should also introduce a way to permanently secure a specific Pokémon. But I think the beauty of this game is eliminating unnecessary systems. They don't need to add more juggling to Pokémon.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Played a couple hours so far. I'll try it more later but so far I actually greatly prefer BDSP.

britney-spears.gif

I'd say you need to play a little longer, but if you already played a couple of hours you should already be able to roam freely at your own pace. I don't remember taking me so long before I was already losing myself in the wilderness not caring about the missions

In fact I lost myself so much that I missed basic things like being able to expand my item inventory or craft new Pokéballs because I just kept doing anything but what I had to. By the time I finally fought the alpha Kricketune from the story or Kleavor, my team was already twice their level

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
britney-spears.gif

I'd say you need to play a little longer, but if you already played a couple of hours you should already be able to roam freely at your own pace. I don't remember taking me so long before I was already losing myself in the wilderness not caring about the missions
Yeah, you're only locked to one specific area in the village, and somewhere close to the first portion of the Obsidian Fieldlands before MIssion 6.

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
britney-spears.gif

Agreed. The only thing that really detracted from the whole experience for me was the constant potato mochi meal framing device. But the game mostly is pretty hands off.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
In the games that make you catch a fuck ton of pokemon (Lets Go and Arceus) they already have rewards for releasing them (xp candies and grit stuff). Making Pokemon have a "life expectancy" has much more effect than just "well, you get through poikemon fast". It means that any of the bonds you have with your favourite pokemon, a thing they clearly build around the game, are useless, as they will be released sooner or later.
It also goes against the game as an RPG, as you wouldnt really feel a good progression of levelling up as pokemon would get released before you feel a significant power up.

At that point you would stop looking into Pokemon mainland as an RPG, and look more into a Pokemon Ranger idea with more puzzle / action focused game.

deadbass

Oct 27, 2017
I'm loving this game, it's such a pleasant surprise. I hadn't followed the PR cycle at all after the initial trailer, so most of this is totally new to me. The game doesn't look good, for sure, but it has a certain charm and it runs quite well.

Having a lot of fun cheesing alpha pokemon I have no business trying to catch with heavy balls and sneaking up on them.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
In the games that make you catch a fuck ton of pokemon (Lets Go and Arceus) they already have rewards for releasing them (xp candies and grit stuff). Making Pokemon have a "life expectancy" has much more effect than just "well, you get through poikemon fast". It means that any of the bonds you have with your favourite pokemon, a thing they clearly build around the game, are useless, as they will be released sooner or later.
It also goes against the game as an RPG, as you wouldnt really feel a good progression of levelling up as pokemon would get released before you feel a significant power up.

At that point you would stop looking into Pokemon mainland as an RPG, and look more into a Pokemon Ranger idea with more puzzle / action focused game.

The only thing I'd say Let's Go did better is that I think it allows you to store more Pokémon, I'm not sure, but since catching so many in Let's Go was rather optional, it was ok if you just focused in catching a few species for the shiny hunt or whatever.

Here you are actually required to catch several of the same species to complete the Pokédex, with things like different sizes, gender differences, etc, so I would've expected the Pokémon storage to be even bigger, and it's not.

meataem

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 29, 2019
Does anyone here have a Johto Sneasel/Weavile or a Shieldon they're willing to trade. I'm up for trading my Cherubi, Cherrim, or Shiny Drifblim for them if so, though I'd prefer to get both of the mons I'm looking for if you want the Shiny Drifblim.

Last edited:

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Another way to incorporate all of the Pokemon they want you to catch would be to make a crafting system that utilizes the Pokemon as a resource. So if you have 5 Starly, you can "craft" them into a special attack that calls five Starly for a team up attack. There could be a generic version where you can combine any Pokemon and they just attack together, and special "recipes" that require specific Pokemon.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone here have a Johto Sneasel/Weavile or a Shieldon they're willing to trade. I'm up for trading my Cherubi, Cherrim, or Shiny Drifblim for them if so, though I'd prefer to get both of the mons I'm looking for if you want the Shiny Drifblim.
I have an extra sneasel. Good to trade basically any time.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Really I just think that the context for catching and releasing so many mons needs to be fleshed out more, the incentive structure is already in place in the form of exp, item drops, and candy/grit

Just make it clear that there's a team of biologists studying the health and population levels of everything you're grabbing and you can ease a bit of the ludonarrative tension

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
is there a faster way to release pokemon than clicking them, going to release, saying yes i'm sure, then being told they're released?

For a game that wants me to catch 40 variations of the same pokemon they sure do punish me for doing so

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
The townbuilding should've relied on your pokemon more. Like have them be like "yo we wanna build a library do you have any strong pokemon" and then I could be like "yeah sure he's my 25 Ursarings I have for some reason" and then they get started working on that. Or "hey a bunch of us Galaxy guys are going on a mission to explore can you lend us Level 50+ Pokemon with [x] type?" instead of me being the only Galaxy corps person who does anything.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
is there a faster way to release pokemon than clicking them, going to release, saying yes i'm sure, then being told they're released?

For a game that wants me to catch 40 variations of the same pokemon they sure do punish me for doing so
There's mass release, where you just press X and select the pokemon you want to be released.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Late game spoilers
If I wanted to take over your stupid village I wouldn't make some elaborate plan around time distortions, I'd just use my small army of super powered animals to roll through the entire down. What exactly are you puny humans going to do against a giant Garchomp??? lol

It makes sense that they'd blame you for the issues, but like... maybe blame you before you're 25 hours into the story and have a literal army at your disposal because it makes it seem like you concocted this crazy plan that took months in-game time to hurt people who cower at a Wurmple, meanwhile I have a bug with literal axes for hands at my disposal

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Boy I do enjoy playing this game. One thing it excels at more than other Pokemon games: I keep procrastinating on the story to run around in the first area catching Pokemon. That's simultaneously an endorsement of the fun gameplay, and maybe a slight indictment of the way the game presents the story, but I'm choosing to be glass-half-full about it haha

DinoBlaster

Feb 18, 2020
I really am fine with there being no forced gameplay mechanics regarding catching a bunch of duplicate pokemon. I barely catch many duplicates as it is and don't really want to be forced to change that. Getting some optional bonuses for releasing them (which as someone said could be you giving them to a research team) is enough for me.

Oct 26, 2017
I didnt even know multiple pokemon were needed to evolve to different trees of pokemon. I've just been releasing duplicates for 30 hours now. Hell it hasnt even explained how to evolve, why i would want to bump stats, …anything really.

Wish the game made this clearer to newer players of the franchise. Wish it did a lot of things tbh.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Alright I finally had my first proper session with it and yes the game has it faults but I haven't felt like this about a game since BotW came along, this is literally how I imagined playing a Pokémon game would be in my head while I played Pokémon Red as a kid. The freedom, the battles without a scene transition, the added nuance with attacks and the overall flow of the game where it just plays instead of everything being a interruption, I like this game alot! I really hope that many of this will be/stay in mainline Pokémon going forward, especially battles not being a separate screen anymore and the freedom of explorations. Just imagine a game like Legends Arceus as routes and then multiple, big sprawling cities with Gym fights and side-quests... 🥺 But wait first give me Legends: Solgaleo in ancient Alola!!!

I wasn't sure about Hisui as a region the first bit I played because the initial plains you are on felt a bit boring and empty but when I progressed more I already had two moments where I just had to disable the HUD and had to stand still and take a screenshot, the graphics aren't pretty and especially rough docked but it makes it up with style and playing handled on a OLED Switch is perfectly acceptable for me.

I'm really looking forward to play more now, especially since I actually feel somewhat challenged by the game which hasn't really happened since Black & White 2 unless I intentionally gimped myself so yeah! :D

Baby Bird

Nov 5, 2017
The pasture's UI is horrible. Not having a button to sort pokemon makes finding anything a nightmare, even with the search function.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Perhaps a common ground would be to allow specific Pokemon to accompany you. Smaller Pokemon (most generally smaller first stage) can hitch a ride with you on your back when traveling. I think it would be pretty funny to see like an Alpha Wurmple on your shoulder but perhaps Alphas wouldn't count.
Starter evolutions/Eeevelutions should be made a priority for following.

I kind of wish that the riding Pokemon would be replaced with ones you personally own, or allow you to customize them in some way. I really loved the ability to ride on certain Pokemon in LGPE

Here you are actually required to catch several of the same species to complete the Pokédex, with things like different sizes, gender differences, etc, so I would've expected the Pokémon storage to be even bigger, and it's not.
Boxes do keep expanding. I think i saw someone mention that it goes up to 30 so you're able to have 900 Pokemon in the pastures.
I dont know why anyone would have that many unless they had like 50 of each Pokemon.

Last edited:

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I think I'm going mad. I was randomly flying in Bonechill Wastes in Alabaster and fell through the air. This random location header popped up: "BonBonill Wastes?"

I have no idea what it's referring to, and I can't find any info about it at all. I haven't been able to get the location header to trigger again. Any ideas?

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
So I have a question that has probably been answered a million times.

If I save near an outbreak but haven't gone to it yet (ie I'm on the map and saved semi-nearby) can I save and reset until I find a shiny?

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
They ought to go all-in on the village/community building, and let you use all the Pokémon you catch to help build shit/populate the area.

I like seeing NPCs with Pokémon I've gifted them. It's a step up from the in-game trades of old. It's especially fun when you gift them alphas...

Nov 27, 2017
California
Might be kinda off topic but did anyone else NOT receive the Amazon promo Garchomp clothing code?
I pre ordered last month and before the cut off date and nothing, I would assume customer service chat would have no clue about it