• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Choose your starter Pokémon:

• Rowlet

Votes: 607 27.9%
  • Cyndaquil

Votes: 1,079 49.6%
  • Oshawott

Votes: 488 22.4%

• Total voters
Detailed Interactive Maps by Serebii

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I too have just opened up some interactive maps :)

www.serebii.net

Obsidian Fieldlands - Serebii.net Pokéarth

Obsidian Fieldlands in the Hisui Region in Pokémon Sword & Shield. Details all available Pokémon, Trainers and Itemsas well as an Interactive Map
www.serebii.net

Crimson Mirelands - Serebii.net Pokéarth

Crimson Mirelands in the Hisui Region in Pokémon Sword & Shield. Details all available Pokémon, Trainers and Itemsas well as an Interactive Map
www.serebii.net

Cobalt Coastlands - Serebii.net Pokéarth

Cobalt Coastlands in the Hisui Region in Pokémon Sword & Shield. Details all available Pokémon, Trainers and Itemsas well as an Interactive Map
www.serebii.net

Coronet Highlands - Serebii.net Pokéarth

Coronet Highlands in the Hisui Region in Pokémon Sword & Shield. Details all available Pokémon, Trainers and Itemsas well as an Interactive Map
www.serebii.net

Alabaster Icelands - Serebii.net Pokéarth

Alabaster Icelands in the Hisui Region in Pokémon Sword & Shield. Details all available Pokémon, Trainers and Itemsas well as an Interactive Map

If you click the icon on the map, the spawn table drops beneath it

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
This is great. I would love a button for each Pokémon that would quickly hidden everything else and only show that Pokémon (so a focus button basically). Right now the flow would be to click hide all and then click the Pokémon, but I think what I want to do most frequently is to search for one specific mon.

Thanks for the suggestion. Yeah, it's still work in progress and suggestions like these are welcome so we can alter it to make it easier for everyone to use.

Red

Oct 26, 2017

www.serebii.net

Obsidian Fieldlands in the Hisui Region in Pokémon Sword & Shield. Details all available Pokémon, Trainers and Itemsas well as an Interactive Map
www.serebii.net

Crimson Mirelands in the Hisui Region in Pokémon Sword & Shield. Details all available Pokémon, Trainers and Itemsas well as an Interactive Map
www.serebii.net

Cobalt Coastlands in the Hisui Region in Pokémon Sword & Shield. Details all available Pokémon, Trainers and Itemsas well as an Interactive Map
www.serebii.net

Coronet Highlands in the Hisui Region in Pokémon Sword & Shield. Details all available Pokémon, Trainers and Itemsas well as an Interactive Map
www.serebii.net

Alabaster Icelands in the Hisui Region in Pokémon Sword & Shield. Details all available Pokémon, Trainers and Itemsas well as an Interactive Map

Legend.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the suggestion. Yeah, it's still work in progress and suggestions like these are welcome so we can alter it to make it easier for everyone to use.
Great, thank you. Also a bug I just noticed, that should be very quick to fix but is very annoying: the filter button disappears when in fullscreen mode.

LaytonWright

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Got my 3rd shiny today still in first area, random Drifloom

Shinies so far:

Shinx in the wild 2 hours into game
Beautifly via mass outbreak after 15 resets
Drifloom random walking around..

brjuntinaar

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
Well I enjoyed the game overall, and there are lots of good ideas here which I hope they continue to iterate on, but after beating the game and playing a bit of the post-game content, I think I'm done. This is by far the least time I've spent in a Pokemon game.

It feels to me like there is no point in actually collecting these things. Without abilities, pokemon basically just feel like stat sticks, and with a few legendaries at the end of the game, there's no need for anything else. To me, the whole fun of collecting in the normal games is that you are essentially collecting trading cards which can be used for different creative team comps. Here, there's really no point given the simplification of the combat system.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

www.serebii.net

www.serebii.net

www.serebii.net

www.serebii.net

www.serebii.net

Wow so good

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
I wish you could turn off the confirmation prompt when using items in battle. It would be satisfying to just throw a poke ball with no confirmation

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
Have yet to see a single shiny, can confirm my luck is shit.
I saw a shiny Vaporeon in my first distortion, and when I threw a Pokémon at it to start a battle it started a triple battle with 3 random Pokémon who hadn't spawned yet instead. The Vaporeon disappeared after that.

Milky Way

Oct 29, 2017
How is everybody getting these shinies? I've literally never caught one or seen one. And I've been playing Pokémon since I was a kid. I just have horrible luck.

Also, how do I know if I'm able to catch an Alpha Pokémon that's above my level? Does my star level have to match? Example I'm star level 3 so Pokémon up to level 40 will obey me. But will I be able to catch a level 50 alpha? Can I sneak up on them or do I have to battle?

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I haven't seen a single shiny yet either, 11 hours playtime. That's normal as far as I'm concerned.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
So I just finished the ABBA boss in Crimson Mirelands, and I got to Rank 7.
Is it really just 10, or am I gonna unlock more once I hit 10.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Sidebar: I'm surprised I haven't seen any posts about sales figures so far.. usually I'd expect there to be some estimates but even over at the other place, nada yet. Weird.

I've been holding off for now on buying this to try and force myself to play some of my other Switch RPGs, but I did see a video of a shiny on Twitter. I never once encountered one in Let's Go even after 40-50 hours.. hell, I didn't even know they existed as a kid. It's always magical when you get one, but I'd never expect to see one personally.

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
IrCs7ug.jpg

Mass Outbreaks are kinda OP. I haven't beaten the final Noble yet.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
How is everybody getting these shinies? I've literally never caught one or seen one. And I've been playing Pokémon since I was a kid. I just have horrible luck.

Also, how do I know if I'm able to catch an Alpha Pokémon that's above my level? Does my star level have to match? Example I'm star level 3 so Pokémon up to level 40 will obey me. But will I be able to catch a level 50 alpha? Can I sneak up on them or do I have to battle?

You can catch the alpha, you just may have trouble trying to get it to do anything for you.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
So I just finished the ABBA boss in Crimson Mirelands, and I got to Rank 7.
Is it really just 10, or am I gonna unlock more once I hit 10.
Someone earlier in the thread said going from rank 9 to 10 is as much exp as going from rank 1 to 9. No idea if that's true. I'm rank 7 myself.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Shiny-wise, I've only ever seen, like, one ever before this game. So far in Legends I've seen (and caught) two...a random shiny Bidoof and a shiny Graveler. Not exactly tempting options to throw into my actual team. Gimme a shiny Bronzor, game!

I've been enjoying it a lot so far overall, aside from a couple of presentational issues and some clunky UI work (the clothing shop could really badly use a rework in how its options are displayed, please let recolors stack I beg of you). Mechanically though there is one thing I've been running up against that's starting to become genuinely aggravating, though: please ditch this Enrage bullshit. There's already an inherent risk structure in trying to catch pokemon through battling in that you try to whittle their health down without fainting them, and have to deal with weathering their attacks on your own pokemon while you're trying to throw balls (especially now that it seems like none of the status effects guarantee a loss of turn). So...when catching a mon depends so much on RNG in the first place, why are we being further penalized with failed captures by making the opposing pokemon even stronger and providing an even bigger risk to your team? It seems so unnecessary to punish a player for bad luck over something the game is arbitrarily deciding for itself anyway, and feels like the only reason it's there at all is to get people to need to use revives and healing items more often. It adds nothing to encounters and seems to only further emphasize avoiding combat altogether if capturing is the goal, rather than making both feel like viable options.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
Found a shiny Aipom last night which makes 3 shinies so far! (plus the Ponyta) I'm 30 hours in and still need to fight the 4th Noble lol.

Lucky Aces

Banned
Dec 7, 2020
I think the writing (dunno how it feels like a 5 year old wrote it, just feels like a normal story) and quality of gameplay is all there already. I also dont think they lack budget. Its just simple technial stuff that needs adressing. GF simply isnt a technical powerhouse, more money thrown at it wont change that.

Im just pretty much quoting Moist Critical there.

GF not being a technical powerhouse is also a lame excuse too when Indie developers in this day and age can provide better graphical fidelity/art styles then them. And none of them have even a sliver of money GF does.

Franchise in all the world*

Literally no excuse.

I stand corrected. Yeah this team should be able to give us much more.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

GF not being a technical powerhouse is also a lame excuse too when Indie developers in this day and age can provide better graphical fidelity/art styles then them. And none of them have even a sliver of money GF does.

Its not an excuse its an fact.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well I enjoyed the game overall, and there are lots of good ideas here which I hope they continue to iterate on, but after beating the game and playing a bit of the post-game content, I think I'm done. This is by far the least time I've spent in a Pokemon game.

It feels to me like there is no point in actually collecting these things. Without abilities, pokemon basically just feel like stat sticks, and with a few legendaries at the end of the game, there's no need for anything else. To me, the whole fun of collecting in the normal games is that you are essentially collecting trading cards which can be used for different creative team comps. Here, there's really no point given the simplification of the combat system.

Theres no multiplayer anyway, so the post game life span wouldn't be as long anyway. I went in knowing that it probably wouldn't garner as much time.

I'm not sure if I would call any of them stat sticks though considering I played Stories 2. Pretty much every gene could be used on any monster in that game, so the only choice in the long haul was "who had the best stats" since there's nothing unique to any monster.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
I've been enjoying it a lot so far overall, aside from a couple of presentational issues and some clunky UI work (the clothing shop could really badly use a rework in how its options are displayed, please let recolors stack I beg of you). Mechanically though there is one thing I've been running up against that's starting to become genuinely aggravating, though: please ditch this Enrage bullshit. There's already an inherent risk structure in trying to catch pokemon through battling in that you try to whittle their health down without fainting them, and have to deal with weathering their attacks on your own pokemon while you're trying to throw balls (especially now that it seems like none of the status effects guarantee a loss of turn). So...when catching a mon depends so much on RNG in the first place, why are we being further penalized with failed captures by making the opposing pokemon even stronger and providing an even bigger risk to your team? It seems so unnecessary to punish a player for bad luck over something the game is arbitrarily deciding for itself anyway, and feels like the only reason it's there at all is to get people to need to use revives and healing items more often. It adds nothing to encounters and seems to only further emphasize avoiding combat altogether if capturing is the goal, rather than making both feel like viable options.

So first up the catch rate is really high in this game to compensate for this. I think I haven't failed to catch any pokemon in battle if I got its hp low and used a status move. Swap moves out if needed, use strong style to make sure they hit. Just make sure you're using the best possible balls as well. Alphas are a bit harder but still manageable like this and this mechanic probably is to make them more of a threat to catch via battle. You can also use a tanky mon with obscuring moves to mitigate some of the risk.

The other point is to encourage catching without battling. You could be throwing up smoke screens and sneaking around, using good food which increases catch rate, and trying different kinds of balls. Battling wild pokemon is a last ditch maneuver for the kind of rare pokemon you want but you've failed to catch and is now targeting you or might be liable to run away (hit them in the back to trigger battle). Battles are lethal to force you to spend restorative resources which in turn is a reason to scrounge around the environments. It all feeds into the core game loop. Same reason pokemon can gang up on you.

In old games, pre stat squish there was never any danger or big risk with wild pokemon encounters. You could use false swipe, status, chip away health, and throw a ball. If it didn't work you could just try again and again. Spam items if needed. Catching legendaries for example in the old games was just a chore rather than something that needed any real though. Here using items can be risky as the enemies might hit multiple times, and failing the catch + enrage adds on to this. You're meant to feel kinda overwhelmed or against insurmountable odds when you're trying to catch one pokemon versus many in battle.

That said, with the right comp, battling can totally be viable/desirable. Get a mon that is fast with obscuring moves, initiate combat from behind, agile a status effect, throw up obscure and you should be good to go.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Tbh Im tired of pretending that everyone is on the same technical level

DrStrange87

The Fallen
Feb 8, 2018
Training moves for cash and being able to change learned moves on the flash has to be the way going forward from now on with these games. Best feature by far for me.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
Training moves for cash and being able to change learned moves on the flash has to be the way going forward from now on with these games. Best feature by far for me.
Yeah, there's no reason it shouldn't be like this. What's the advantage of TMs and going to some random dude to relearn moves?

EDIT: Well, I guess with a TM it's easy to just assign that move from a huge TM list.

Barius

Jan 2, 2019
New Jersey
First distortion.. alright that was pretty cool. Caught me off guard completely even after reading people say similar stuff.

But how the hell are you supposed to catch stuff in there when you can't sneak up on anything and battling means a gank fest since they spawn in groups. I pretty much had to spend the whole time dodging and picking up random stuff.

Honestly, I found that they're all pretty easy to catch with one throw once you enter a battle (just gotta have a beefy pokemon in front to tank some hits). I think it's like 9 out of 10 are caught on the first pokeball 100% HP.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I can't really get behind the combat being bad thing, I think it's just geared for wild encounters. Trainer battles being an afterthought is a problem, that's evident just by seeing how little of them there are. Being so tit for tat is a massive drawback for the system and--I can't believe I'm saying this as an advocate for Set battles--it's obvious they need to let trainers make a switch after a k.o. occurs and the turn order resumes so that there's some level of reaction.

But like, wild battles are good! They look good, feel good, they finally play out at a speed I'm okay with, and the turn order stuff is cool if you're willing to experiment. For sure there's issues surrounding the, stats lack of held items abilities move pools ect ect but I find just wondering around and doing battles to be very intrinsically enjoyable and I think that's an accomplishment considering they usually are not

Red

Oct 26, 2017
An additional clan that is all in on battling Pokémon would have been welcome. I'd like an optional tree of challenges to climb. More battles against more than 1 layer of Pokémon. But I'm happy with what we have.

Oct 30, 2017
I think the writing (dunno how it feels like a 5 year old wrote it, just feels like a normal story) and quality of gameplay is all there already. I also dont think they lack budget. Its just simple technial stuff that needs adressing. GF simply isnt a technical powerhouse, more money thrown at it wont change that.
Uh. More money means they can use it to hire the graphical talent that they clearly don't have, that's the whole point.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Sleeping Kricketot makes musical snoring sounds as it sleeps.

It is adorable and this is the best game ever

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
LRSz7eP.jpg

Team so far made mostly of random alpha Pokemon I just caught lol. Team isn't very good as a whole though lol

Tidalwaves

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
First distortion.. alright that was pretty cool. Caught me off guard completely even after reading people say similar stuff.

But how the hell are you supposed to catch stuff in there when you can't sneak up on anything and battling means a gank fest since they spawn in groups. I pretty much had to spend the whole time dodging and picking up random stuff.
But you can sneak. Run to a grass patch before things spawn. Did they already? Run to the farthest one away and they'll respawn, crouch in grass before they do. Everything that spawns around you wont know you're there. Easy catches.

Rainer516

Oct 29, 2017
I came here to reiterate how much fun this game is. It's a true joy to play this, and the graphics aren't THAT bad, the game is great at conveying the feeling I personally enjoy the most from past Pokémon games through an appropriate level of abstraction.

I also love how different Pokémon evolutions are actually rare/special - huge difference from wild area in Sw/Sh.
The distortions also bring a sufficient level of mystery to the game, not sure how long it'll last but I enjoy it being somewhat low stakes.

My preferred way to play so far has been to pasture all my high level Pokémon at the end of each area and start every new area fresh with a couple of medium leveled mons. I'm only on the third area but it's been a ton of fun so far.

Soltis

Feb 28, 2019
United States
My preferred way to play so far has been to pasture all my high level Pokémon at the end of each area and start every new area fresh with a couple of medium leveled mons. I'm only on the third area but it's been a ton of fun so far.

This sounds like a super fun way to play. I can see how it could add another layer of challenge to the game, anyway.

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
The graphics don't really bother me much since they don't really affect the gameplay (which is stellar, IMO). What does irk me is the pop in and poor draw distance, though not enough to ruin the overall experience.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
IMO this is the best Pokémon since Black/White 2 & I'm only in the third area, we will see where it lands.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
An additional clan that is all in on battling Pokémon would have been welcome. I'd like an optional tree of challenges to climb. More battles against more than 1 layer of Pokémon. But I'm happy with what we have.
I hope we see this in some dlc. I'm prone to grind battle facilities well past my actual need for points to spend and would happily do the same here

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if there is DLC, I can see battles being a major part of it. the game already establishes that other regions are more advanced in this regard, so a bunch of people coming over and establishing a proto-league would be cool