• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
User Warned: Hostility
Game Freak is "lazy" because of an overall lack of polish on everything they do, systematically, mechanically and graphically. (although I don't like the term lazy, I just think that they are demonstrably and maliciously utilitarian and unambitious. Pure capitalism.)

Every Pokemon game is 2 steps forward, 2 steps back. They introduce some shiny new feature, but then take last games shiny feature away. They'll bring some things back, and inexplicably remove other popular features. They will rework features into worse versions of themselves and and re-use popular features in baffling ways. They'll bring in quality of life features only to remove them in the next game for seemingly no reason at all. It's baffling. Examples:"

For Battles, Mega Evolutions, Z Moves, and probably Dyna/Gigantamax as well moving forward. Each is the shiny new thing that gets replaced now so they can get you excited for the shiny new thing next game. And this is only scratching the surface.

Now I'm not saying a game should have ALL of these, but can you imagine a Pokemon game that had even half of these features all in the same game:

Gen 1: Game Corner (or equivalent with non gambling minigames), Safari Zone
Gen 2: Days Of The Week, Time of Day, Bug Catching Contest
Gen 3: Battle Frontier, Contests, Secret Bases, Weather, Double battles
Gen 4: Super Contests, Ball Customization, Underground
Gen 5: Pokemon World Tournament (along with more prominent Triple and Rotation battles)
Gen 6: Inverse Battles, PSS, Amie, DexNav
Gen 7: Poke Finder (but imagine with any effort)

And why stop there? Why not consider things from other games?

Shadow Pokemon from Colosseum/XD. Pokemon whose hearts have been 'closed off' to make them stronger. You can capture these pokemon from other trainers with a special type of ball, and then you can purify them by battling with them, using items on them and generally increasing your friendship. Imagine if this also incorporated Amie, or Contests, or any of these other features. Imagine having a quest that let you purify a shadow pokemon by showing them a variety of things in the world and engaging with them in unique ways.

Dedicated Mini-games and quizzes from Pokemon Stadium. Fantastic multiplayer modes with a lot of fun in them and was a cool way to let you use your pokemon in new ways. Imagine the Clear Cut minigame from stadium 2 where you can use Scyther, Pinsir, Scizor, Bisharp, Sawk, Samurott, Escavalier, Haxorus, Aegislash, Vikavolt, Sirfetch'd... (obviously just a random example of ones they could include).

Challenge Cup battles also from Stadium. Both against the computer and against other players (the latter being the most fun i've ever had in pokemon). You get given 6 rental pokemon (preset pokemon with specific stats, items and attacks), you and your opponent look at each other's teams and then choose 3 to battle with based on moveset, stats, and what you think your opponent will use. IMAGINE being able to do this online and just have fun being strategic in battles without needing to go through the rigamaroll of making competitively viable teams. Imagine being able to avoid the 'meta' entirely by having to adjust your strategy and invent tactics on the fly based on the rental pokemon? Brilliance.

To reiterate, I don't think Game Freak should be including all of these features every single game. But there is so much untapped potential to add life and exploration and intrigue and FUN back into these games outside of the basic formula. At least SOME of these could be used in tandem to create new and interesting experiences, rather than Game Freak constantly inventing new novelties that are surface level maybe interesting but have no depth whatsoever.

...And then also the games are some of the worst looking on the switch, and many animations are terrible and/or missing entirely, and it's been proven that an amateur animator has been able to take the models (that have been unchanged in 3 games) and create unique animations for them in a day. If Game Freak wanted to they could have a team of animators working on fleshing out the pokemon. More unique idle poses, more specific animations for attacks. It is only a matter of spending the money which Game Freak is not willing to do.

But notice how I could on the fly come up with 8 paragraphs without touching the 'graphics' for why Game Freak are not good devs? I hate this strawman. I hate that everyone critical of pokemon gets labeled as a hater and that everyone who loves it gets called a shill.

It's because I have such love for the franchise that I want it to be better than it is, and it's because I love the franchise that i've been so incredibly disappointed by what I've been given for the last 5 years.
Okay let's say they do do that while also having 900 playable pokemon each taking weeks to model program renderand balance, having them be usable without glitching them and turning into hideous abominations of modelling like. Do this while also adding an environment for them to Walk in without clipping through the floor, each with it's own walking animation that again needs to not turn into something like base no man sky random generated abominations. Npc's that also need to be modeled rendered and programmed and and made sure the skeleton is correct, that in turn means the games with the current pokemon have over 1000 unique models in one game.

Dear God it's amazing that game freak is able to get something remotely playable in the timeframes the TPC has given them. And keep in mind this is them doing it where no other dev in the history of gaming has been able to replicate in the history of gaming in monster collector's with Pokemons rosters scale. And yet you people expect them to put out something on par with xenoblade x graphically when even it didn't have the fraction of unique models pokemon does.

Fuck off with this arm chair dev bull shit you absolutely don't know how game development work nor the amount of work it takes a pokemon game to be fucking made, you have no right to call them lazy

Alovon11

Jan 8, 2021
But comparing it to another anime open world game...
Here is some screenshots I took on my iPad of Genshin Impact. I never expected an open world Pokemon game to look as good as this but goddamn there is such a clear gap. (And this is also running at 60 FPS)

If you look at the second screenshot you can notice the LOD's used for the trees but they don't look as bad as the ones in Pokemon because they actually do a good god at making them fit the style. Not to mention it's also rendering them out at super far away as well.

Makes me curious if that Switch Genshin Impact port does happen how it will compare to Legends.
There's the thing....Genshin won't run on current Switch Models.

The developers said the CPU is too weak and would nuke the presentation and performance to get it playable.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
There's the thing....Genshin won't run on current Switch Models.

The developers said the CPU is too weak and would nuke the presentation and performance to get it playable.

Did they actually say that?

All I could find was a supposed insider saying that they were having trouble with the weaker hardware but nothing about nuking the presentation and performance.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
For me I don't need a game to look like a 10/10, I don't need it to look groundbreaking, I just ask that the game's visuals do not hurt to look at. To me, this hurts to look at. It's actively distracting and taking me out of the world.

It's why for me, older gen games that technically have worse lighting and polygon counts look better because they feel more cohesive and together. There isn't elements of the graphics that are taking me out of the world.

Like people were bringing up FF12 earlier, technically and objectively Legends has better lighting, more polygons, and it's textures are also higher resolution (I think) but none of it seems to go together, so FF12 despite losing in those areas is far more pleasing to look at because nothing looks out of place.

But comparing it to another anime open world game...

Here is some screenshots I took on my iPad of Genshin Impact. I never expected an open world Pokemon game to look as good as this but goddamn there is such a clear gap. (And this is also running at 60 FPS)

If you look at the second screenshot you can notice the LOD's used for the trees but they don't look as bad as the ones in Pokemon because they actually do a good god at making them fit the style. Not to mention it's also rendering them out at super far away as well.

Makes me curious if that Switch Genshin Impact port does happen how it will compare to Legends.
Yeah, I think "cohesive" describes perfectly a game that isn't as technically advanced but is still pleasing. I don't need Naughty Dog graphics for every game, let alone a Switch title. But the hardware can do a lot better - and so can the art team at Game Freak. I'll most likely buy and play this because the gameplay has strong potential, but I'm sure I'm going to spend most of that time thinking of how it shouldn't look like this.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

to be fair, the ipad is stronger than the switch (depending on which one you got, but all of them have a way better cpu)

Dec 21, 2020
I feel like there will be a DLC that adds more to the region. Perhaps.... underground and in caverns?

Full and New Moon island

Long path

Distortion world

etc maybe, only for research purposes for the pokedex.

If it runs genshin in 60fps then it's pretty damn strong because genshin is 30fps on my ps4
modern day iPads do beat the NSW, PS4, PS4P, XB1 and XB1X in CPU comfortably.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
The idea of regional evolutions for the starters is a really fun one. I wonder where they could go with it.

Obviously, Samurott could have a bipedal samurai form, since that seems to be what most people want anyway.
Decidueye with more of a Ninja flair?
I don't know what to do with Typhlosion, though. It's already got such a simple design with so little frills. Really a blank canvas.

Valentonis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 8, 2020
This game puts the whole blacking out after your party is wiped thing in a different light. Instead of your character just being a sore loser or whatever, it's more like the Pokémon you're fighting starts beating your ass instead lol

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Just got around to watching a high quality version of the trailer.

My god, the graphics are so bad.

I'm of two minds on the subject. When I look at it relative to the industry, and even just Switch, it's pretty bad. When I look at it relative to the Wild Area in Sword and Shield it's a pretty big improvement. I could look past all of it's issues so much easier if the resolution were high

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
to be fair, the ipad is stronger than the switch (depending on which one you got, but all of them have a way better cpu)

True, it's just again though it goes back to the cohesiveness of everything. I don't need Pokemon to run at 60 FPS or look as good as Genshin but I'd appreciate if the art itself didn't feel like it was conflicting with itself.

hkITOAp.png

Like take this for example, where are the LODs for trees even further out? They just stop completely after a certain distance and the trees that do render not only don't have any shadows but just look really bad. The LODs they do have don't really seem to do much to hide the fact that they are lower detailed models, so they stick out even more.

The trees also have like really weird texturing that gives it like pre-baked lighting that just completely clashes with everything else. Like no matter where the light is coming from trees always have shading in the exact same spots always.

It's a little less worse at night but looks really bad where it's day or evening. And it makes it look a lot like those Unity Asset Flip games you see on steam.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The idea of regional evolutions for the starters is a really fun one. I wonder where they could go with it.

Obviously, Samurott could have a bipedal samurai form, since that seems to be what most people want anyway.
I don't know what to do with Typhlosion, though. It's already got such a simple design with so little frills. Really a blank canvas.
regional evolutions wouldn't make sense here since the pokemon are from their native regions

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
regional evolutions wouldn't make sense here since the pokemon are from their native regions

We have some regional pokemon that come about due to pokemon adapting to their environment differently (Alolan Raichu, Alolan Marowak, Galarian Mr Mime, Galarian Weezing for examples) since you are training them up from a fresh level. It's certainly still possible.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
True, it's just again though it goes back to the cohesiveness of everything. I don't need Pokemon to run at 60 FPS or look as good as Genshin but I'd appreciate if the art itself didn't feel like it was conflicting with itself.

hkITOAp.png

Like take this for example, where are the LODs for trees even further out? They just stop completely after a certain distance and the trees that do render not only don't have any shadows but just look really bad. The LODs they do have don't really seem to do much to hide the fact that they are lower detailed models, so they stick out even more.

The trees also have like really weird texturing that gives it like pre-baked lighting that just completely clashes with everything else. Like no matter where the light is coming from trees always have shading in the exact same spots always.

It's a little less worse at night but looks really bad where it's day or evening. And it makes it look a lot like those Unity Asset Flip games you see on steam.
yea, the LoD is supposed to work like that. the switch ain't too powerful and GF ain't that good of a studio with tech, so it's a one two punch. can't tell if they're using billboards, but I would guess they are, but are limited by some other aspect

the trees are definitely a decsion. probably would have been better to go with more polygonal trees rather than alpha cards. the dark underside is probably because they don't want to spend gpu power processing the diffuse color

lighting seems to only be stencil shadows rather than AO/GI. and the weird fresnel highlight everything has

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017

A regional variant of Typhlosion would almost certainly be based on a daimyo.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I like what I saw in the presentation. There was a lot left unanswered at the start, but I left satisfied. It looks like an ambitious concept, but I think they'll pull it off. It really feels like an adventure game with Pokemon, which is something they really hadn't done before.

How do screens from this presentation compare to last time? The UI changed quite a bit, didn't it?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Given the rough visuals you gotta wonder why they're releasing it in January, it's not like they needed Legends to release then with 3 other releases in the fiscal year. I assume the next year will just be continued support for Go and Unite with no new releases, maybe just dlc for this game, so why rush?

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
They could just say they took on new properties while evolving as a result of having trained in a new environment. Other species may develop that potential over many years, but there's no rule saying it couldn't occur in one lifetime.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
I thought it looked good when I watched the presentation then coming here and reading all these posts makes me feel crazy.

Really excited for this, seeing more of the gameplay loop sold me. With it not out until end of January im sure there is a bunch we still haven't seen. Feel like some other town / inhabited areas are probably likely and clearly there is some larger story going on that they barely touched on get. Another 5/6 months of Dev time and I bet they clean up the visuals even more, already a big advancement from the first trailer. I would bet you can go out and roam the world rather freely, would make sense to build up your team and catch new mon. Feel starting the story missions may just quick travel you to the area of focus and camps spawn there when you start.

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
Just able to watch and finish the presentation now...just damn.

The hype I had for Legends deflated bigtime, even after the first trailer, I hoped they would return with a strong showing.

Genuinely shocked at how Game Freak just doesn't seem to "get" it. They should (could) be a showcase studio yet they just seem to do the bare minimum in order to secure millions of copies. makes me sad cause people are defending it as something new (yes, I would LOVE an open world Pokemon RPG) but it seems that the bar is so low that the most minimal change is garnering praise.

- graphics are shameful
- draw distance too close
- world looks barren
- towns look dead
- quest seems iffy with tons of repetitive tasks and/or "dailies"

BotW came out FOUR years ago and still looks lightyears better than this. Not to forget about games like Xenoblade and ports like Skyrim/Witcher 3.

I will say the game's mechanics look great though. Creeping through the woods, riding 'mons, tossing Pokeballs at 'mons and initiating fights anytime, shit yeah!

Honestly unless this improves WILDLY I doubt the cart will even play on my Switch lol. May just dump the rom and emulate right from the start. Normally I playthrough on Switch once then again on PC, but with this...may skip console playthrough entirely.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
how to make any game look better: self shadowing from a global light source. especially when you're in an outdoor environment. even better when you have a GI/AO solution, but that's a bit much to ask for from game freak.

maybe if Gen 9 is Dane Switch exclusive

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
I mean I get that the Switch hardware is old and not as powerful even comparing to iPads, but does the ground texture have to look this bad? The specular map on the terrain just makes the already muddy texture look even worse.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
better than first showing for sure and im excited for something new from the series but the visuals continue to disappoint....a lot... specifically for the environment the shadows are either extremely harsh or non existent
normal maps on the rocks are set to the extreme its like im looking at rocks in Gears 1 back in the mid 00's

Kinda wild BOTW from 2017 still looks considerably more solid than pretty much anything this game has made.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean I get that the Switch hardware is old and not as powerful even comparing to iPads, but does the ground texture have to look this bad? The specular map on the terrain just makes the already muddy texture look even worse.
no. it could be they are trying to conserve memory resources for something. either texture variety, high quality textures on certain models, or, at worse, they have a bad memory allocation issue.

I think the fresnel highlight is a way to hide the muddiness of the texture work

Oct 25, 2017
So what do you all think about having no trainer battles in this game?

I'm cool with it. Trainer battles have been bad for a while. They offer so little satisfaction now that I even avoid them a lot of the time, so I don't really feel like I'm losing anything.

Sure, I'd love a game with better trainer battles over a game with none. Fixing them would be better than removing them, but until they make the change I'd rather ride my deer around a semi open world dodging lightning bolts than walk down a linear route being interrupted by every two-bit hiker with their four geodudes.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what do you all think about having no trainer battles in this game?
I don't think there are no trainer battles. but they might be something of a climax, as in, when they happen, real shit is going down

looks like I got my answer about priority moves. moves like aqua jet act as agile moves. when makes me wonder what happens when you select agile form
EDIT: looks like you can't select forms with moves like Aqua Jet and Swords dance

gameplay_battle_3.jpg

gameplay_battle_4.jpg

also, the girl is named Akari, while the boy is Rei, going by the file names

story_akari_1.jpg

story_rei_1.jpg

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doom and Wolfenstein run on the switch, and those devs don't have nearly the amount of close ties that Gamefreak has with Nintendo.. and this is all they can do? Breath of the Wild is a Wii U game at heart and looks better than this..

I mean it looks fun but there's no excuse for these graphics. It's actually embarrassing. I'm pretty sure why this is happening, too. There's probably a ton of young talent at Gamefreak that could do a lot better, held back by "the old guard" that has been around since the early days, that is still sitting on the senior and lead positions and truly does not know wtf they're doing anymore on these modern systems. It's painfully obvious. It's the same reason why games like Elex 2 look the way they do.

I wish they'd give their younger talent a crack at making something from scratch.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Doom and Wolfenstein run on the switch, and those devs don't have nearly the amount of close ties that Gamefreak has with Nintendo.. and this is all they can do?

I mean it looks fun but there's no excuse for these graphics. It's actually embarrassing. I'm pretty sure why this is happening, too. There's probably a ton of young talent at Gamefreak that could do a lot better, held back by "the old guard" that is still sitting on the senior and lead positions and truly does not know wtf they're doing anymore on these modern systems. It's painfully obvious. It's the same reason why games like Elex 2 look the way they do.
Or they are rendering a crap ton of landscape/Pokémon profiles/AI/who else knows what? I really doubt GameFreak just "makes" their games look "bad" because they supposedly don't know what they are doing. You are under the assumption like many others who complain about what GameFreak presents (in a way because you don't personally like it) that they simply do not innovate when moving through technologies.

I'd wager a high bet they have some bloody talented people on their team, and what they deliver is not to piss supposed fans off but because it's what they want.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Doom and Wolfenstein run on the switch, and those devs don't have nearly the amount of close ties that Gamefreak has with Nintendo.. and this is all they can do?

I mean it looks fun but there's no excuse for these graphics. It's actually embarrassing. I'm pretty sure why this is happening, too. There's probably a ton of young talent at Gamefreak that could do a lot better, held back by "the old guard" that is still sitting on the senior and lead positions and truly does not know wtf they're doing anymore on these modern systems. It's painfully obvious. It's the same reason why games like Elex 2 look the way they do.

They have been locked into this relentless output cycle more than anything. I don't think its just because of senior devs being out of touch with tech.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Doom and Wolfenstein run on the switch, and those devs don't have nearly the amount of close ties that Gamefreak has with Nintendo.. and this is all they can do? Breath of the Wild is a Wii U game at heart and looks better than this..

I mean it looks fun but there's no excuse for these graphics. It's actually embarrassing. I'm pretty sure why this is happening, too. There's probably a ton of young talent at Gamefreak that could do a lot better, held back by "the old guard" that has been around since the early days, that is still sitting on the senior and lead positions and truly does not know wtf they're doing anymore on these modern systems. It's painfully obvious. It's the same reason why games like Elex 2 look the way they do.

I wish they'd give their younger talent a crack at making something from scratch.
I'll never understand the weird undercurrent of these sorts of posts that make development of a Pokemon game sound like it's easy and that people on the dev team set out to make a game with underwhelming graphics. Also the strange fanfiction of those damn olds holding back the young.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They may be a little less frequent but I think this game will have some enemy Trainers, likely near the other settlements

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
looks like I got my answer about priority moves. moves like aqua jet act as agile moves. when makes me wonder what happens when you select agile form
EDIT: looks like you can't select forms with moves like Aqua Jet and Swords dance

gameplay_battle_3.jpg

gameplay_battle_4.jpg

The dots still confuse me somewhat,

22:48 for the time stamp.

It doesn't appear each side represents a specific type, since you can see in the video close combat cycles between the two. At first I thought it was charges you can use in the match but it doesn't seem to be that either.

The only thing I can see is using them does drain more PP than usual.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
Graphically - very underwhelming.
im not sure if the answer to this is solely "we need a switch pro" because I don't think the emptiness of the world helps either.

Gameplay wise, better than I thought it would be. I'm intrigued to see more.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The dots still confuse me somewhat,

22:48 for the time stamp.

It doesn't appear each side represents a specific type, since you can see in the video close combat cycles between the two. At first I thought it was charges you can use in the match but it doesn't seem to be that either.

The only thing I can see is using them does drain more PP than usual.

the dots look like affectiveness, given Hisuian Growlithe is fire/rock

1629307410616-png.365866

Zeroth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The ultimate battle system would have been simply making it real time with cooldowns. Stuff like quick attack, etc benefit from cooldown reductions, and having to aim it properly to hit the enemy. ATB seems like a compromise to eventually get there, but I think the game would be much more interesting with real time and dynamic combat

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand the weird undercurrent of these sorts of posts that make development of a Pokemon game sound like it's easy and that people on the dev team set out to make a game with underwhelming graphics. Also the strange fanfiction of those damn olds holding back the young.

It's not fanfiction, it's the truth. You're free to believe what you want, but you can ask pretty much any game developer that has ever worked for a small traditional studio and they'll tell you the same thing. This stuff is extremely common in the games industry.

This industry moves so fast, if you're not keeping up and learning new things all the time you fall behind. And if you've worked at a company for 20+ years you have very little incentive to keep up with the learning, and then you end up getting these old folks at the top that are - yes - actually out of touch with modern game developement.

Again, no clue if this is what is happening here but it's definitely extremely likely. No one sets out to make an underwhelming looking game, but it's usually what the sort of arrogance of "I'm right I've been here for 20 years, and the people under me are not" leads to that a lot of people in leadership positions seemingly have.

As an example, Piranha Bytes. They make some fairly established european RPGs, dunno if you've heard of them. Their games are always fun and good but also extremely ugly and outdated. I know a few people that actually left the company because they were fed up with the people at the top acting in exactly the way I was describing. To the point where they'd not even let the people touch some of the old engine code 'cause it's "sacred" because they "wrote it themselves" like 20 years ago.

Last edited:

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The ultimate battle system would have been simply making it real time with cooldowns. Stuff like quick attack, etc benefit from cooldown reductions, and having to aim it properly to hit the enemy. ATB seems like a compromise to eventually get there, but I think the game would be much more interesting with real time and dynamic combat
I don't want an action based Pokemon game. Especially when Pokemon's current turn based system is super good when it's allowed to actually shine

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
The gameplay elements look a lot more interesting this time and the premise is so exciting. But the environmental art is probably some of the worst environment I've seen in my entire career, absolutely abysmal. Not sure what they were going for or what they were doing? Their tree's shader looks broken still, their environment terrain has broken maps, their lighting engine does not support what their visual idea is. Not sure what's up with that.

If it's just one soul on the Environment art side of things tho, I apologize. But coming from the highest grossing franchise in the world, it's embarrassing...
Thank you for your input. It's interesting hearing from a pro.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
It's not fanfiction, it's the truth. You're free to believe what you want, but you can ask pretty much any game developer that has ever worked for a small traditional studio and they'll tell you the same thing. This stuff is extremely common in the games industry.

TPC just works this way in general. Even if the devs at Game Freak wanted to they would not likely be afforded twice the time.
Some of the game mechanic stuff maybe to do with direction sure, but the production pipeline is what it is outside of the "old generation" or whatever.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
It's not fanfiction, it's the truth. You're free to believe what you want, but you can ask pretty much any game developer that has ever worked for a small traditional studio and they'll tell you the same thing. This stuff is extremely common in the games industry. This industry moves so fast, if you're not keeping up and learning new things all the time you fall behind. And if you've worked at a company for 20+ years you have very little incentive to keep up with the learning, and then you end up getting these old folks at the top that are - yes - actually out of touch.

Again, no clue if this is what is happening here but it's definitely extremely likely.

This isn't a problem that's unique to gaming either. You'll find software developers that, due to a lack of external factors pushing them to change, are continuing to work under exactly the same tech stack for over a decade. Perhaps it's not the developer themselves, but just an old system that's doing it's job well enough.

GameFreak has been obscenely successful doing things their own way. Perhaps that's reason enough for them improve things at a snail's pace

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
stat buffs are shown by the health bar

1629307392485-png.365864

and using styles drain PP faster

1629307397279-png.365865

Pokemon Legends - Arceus - 28th Jan 2022 *Official Content Only*

Stantler finally received an evolution with Wyrdeer, which is a very welcome addition. Hopefully Stantler and Wyrdeer will receive a new Fighting type coverage move after the loss of Jump Kick, since I assume that it won't return in PL:A. Close Combat is a plausible candidate, considering its...